womens chrysalis house- EXPOSED

Posted in the Lexington Forum

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
very concerned citizen

Olive Hill, KY

#1 Jul 4, 2010
If you familiar with the womanís so called half way house, chrysalis house, in Lexington. you probably already know ALOT going on there! This place is supposed to HELP women with drug addiction and getting back to their real life. Well I personally have known quite a few there and some are still there. Anyway most of the staff there are recovering addicts themselves who still need to take a good long look in the mirror. They have buddies come in all the time that they used to get high with when they were on the streets. When these buds come in, the women from other towns are treated like dirt, so their old buds can get all they want. Well these out of town girls need and DESERVE the same treatment as anyone, old buddy or not! Iíve seen girls relapse and get a slap on the back, maybe lose a weekend privilege. Not once, not twice, 3,4,5, times. But they are still there. Then one in particular out of town girl, been there almost a year, gets a FAULTY dirty, and sheís made to leave immediately, no call home for a ride, no clinical review, put out on the street walking after midnight!!!
You tell me, how fair, how SAFE, is that? Well Ill tell you, if something had of happened to her, thank GOD it didnít, I would own the chrysalis house. There would be no more staff thatís so called recovering crack heads working there.
Then the chrysalis house isnít supposed to accept private donations!???!!! WHATEVER! They WILL take certain donations, like nice clothing, furniture, food items, thatís supposed to be for these girls in need. BUT they NEVER see it. The staff will take all nice clothes, especially XXL size, and keep them for their self. The food they will split up between whoeverís working at the time, and anything of value, like furniture the girls should get when they graduate to an apartment, I suspect is most likely set up at, lets just say, ms Bernies garage sale. Extra money for the excellent staff! This does go on there and much more Iím sure. I think the chrysalis house should be investigated thoroughly! Oh and whose heard of gods pantry or blue box??? Didnít think so. Thatís supposed to be two businesses they have to help provide for these women. A tax write off if you ask me. They donít exist!
Lexington needs and deserves a REAL halfway house for women. Run by professionals and college graduates. Not old greedy women and so-called recovering crack addicts. Some one PLEASE help these women who really need help, and deserve help. Its time someone steps in and addresses this major problem. These women need help!
lcp

Wallingford, KY

#2 Jul 5, 2010
Yeah, ive heard about some real nasty things going on at the chrysalis house/houses. there are actually three of them in lexington and none of them are what they claim to be. I had a cousin who got sent there from pee-wee valley. Her child got sick and they kicked her out. Do they even know what a hospital is? I suppose that would take to much of that money their embesselling though.
TruthMan

Toledo, OH

#3 Jul 6, 2010
Chrysalis House once had an exceptional reputation for helping women address their addictions. Growth killed it. Two factors contributed to it's demise. The first being an expansion of its relationship with state corrections. While these contracts brought in money and clients, it changed the nature of Chrysalis House. In the eyes of it's clients it became an extension of state corrections and its employees were just guards. Chrysalis House clients got younger, more criminal, and blacker. While founded to help middle class alcoholics, the clients now are mostly drug addicts. Chrysalis House was unprepared for these changes. Another factor that led to the downfall of Chrysalis House was an expansion of its facilities. Filling beds and apartments became a priority. The cash flow has to be maintained. It was naive for CH to think they could establish a sober apartment community. Another case of wishful thinking. It hadn't succeeded any place else, but that didn't slow them down. The Chrysalis House program is flawed in many ways. It embraces 12 Step programs even though those programs have never proven to be successful if you look at the numbers. While Chrysalis House's professional staff are educated and well trained, for the most part, most client contact is with poorly trained and poorly educated support staff. Staff response to relapse has been consistently inconsistent for years. Some clients get relapse many times without serious consequences while others return to prison to serve out long sentences. Chrysalis House has gone from being a small effective community-based program to just another costly welfare program. With over half of its clients relapsing while they are in the program and the majority of its graduates relapsing afterwards, the effectiveness of the program should be evaluated.
NAH

Fairborn, OH

#4 Jul 7, 2010
How much is a room for 1 night? I'll bring my own booze and cock, I mean coke...
I Know

Chapmanville, WV

#5 Jul 27, 2010
That place is a joke. I know of a few people that lived there. All it is, is a house of drug ho's that do not want to get better. They are just there so they wont have to go to jail. That place is full of skanks. It will have to be burned down one day to kill all of the disease's that are inside that place.
Well honestly

Burkesville, KY

#6 Oct 27, 2010
There are actual girls there that want to get help. But the sad thing is... all the women that go there just because they are court ordered "usually" make it hell for everyone else who are trying to get their life straightened out. I mean, not all the girls that are court ordered are like that. Sometimes it helps them realize how much they really do need the help and maybe if it wasn't for jail they would not have realized that. In the long run it could save their life. Just goes to show everything happens for a reason. My point is... you can't judge all the girls there just because there are a few bad apples. And it's the same way with the staff working there. You have some that truly do have their heart in it and want to help the women and then you have those that are just in it for the money. There are positive and negative things to almost everything in life. It is just the way you choose to look at it, with the glass half full or the glass half empty.
blah blah blah

Louisville, KY

#7 Feb 4, 2011
the chrysalis house is a joke!!\
agree

Fairborn, OH

#8 Feb 5, 2011
I agree...but aren't you gonna' tell us why?
Hope

Pflugerville, TX

#9 Feb 5, 2011
I would like to know where this house is? I would like to go down there and volunteer. Maybe if enough straight people go down there and get involved we can weed out the bad. Especially if you document evidence. Places like this are badly needed. It's a shame it only takes a few to ruin it for those who really could have benefitted from it.
bethechange

Dayton, OH

#10 Feb 5, 2011
It sounds to me as though a few of these comments are vindictive in nature and coming from a very angry place. Others are extremely misinformed or posting based on gossip. There are hundreds of successful graduates of this program that would agree with me. While no organization or program is perfect, what have any of you done to improve things rather than contribute to the problem? The negativity and out right nastiness posted here disgusts and saddens me.
Chick

Lexington, KY

#11 Feb 5, 2011
I know for a fact it's a joke. The herald leader a couple of years ago did a five day article about a girl going through drug court and her getting in the chrysalis house, well she fell and was sent to jail, then they done a interview the last day with a husband and wife who had went through there and was concidered their success story. That couple was smoking crack the night before the interview, they both had relapsed as soon as they were done with the random piss tests. Billy and Jennifer Holland was such a joke on the interview. They both are still at it, Jennifer smokes crack and huffs paint and shes like 45 and then you have the husband who smokes crack and snorts pills, both take trips down south to pay for their addictions. SO if this is a chrysalis house success story damn hard to hear about the failures
chrysalis graduate

Lexington, KY

#12 Feb 11, 2011
I went through the program and I am so gratefull that I was able to change my life. the thing is if your not ready for recovery of course the chrysalis house or any other program isnt going to help you but if you take there suggestions there is a chance you may be able to change ur life dont knock something you know nothing about I hope they continue to help save lives. thank god there is somewhere for people with addictions can go
omg its for real

Louisville, KY

#13 Feb 20, 2011
it is a joke, a major one. its who can kiss as much ass to get by with what. They take your foodstamps as soon as you walk through the door, plus encourage you to file k-tap, not to mention want your newborn health info to keep and recieve more grant money....this is what its really all about.
Truthman

Lexington, KY

#14 Feb 27, 2011
bethechange wrote:
It sounds to me as though a few of these comments are vindictive in nature and coming from a very angry place. Others are extremely misinformed or posting based on gossip. There are hundreds of successful graduates of this program that would agree with me. While no organization or program is perfect, what have any of you done to improve things rather than contribute to the problem? The negativity and out right nastiness posted here disgusts and saddens me.
I challenge you to find one error in my post. There might have been hundreds of successful graduates, but that is out of a population of thousands. Actually, I am tempted to challenge the hundreds number. Since 2000, you might be able to find a hundred clients that have remained clean and sober. In calculating relapse rates for state and federal regulators and other agencies, Chrysalis House and UK just plain lied. They only considered those that stayed in the 1-2 year program until graduation and then attempted to track them. If a former client could not be found, they were excluded from the statistics. What effect do you think that had on the statistics? But more importantly, it excluded clients that relapsed while in the program. Twenty five percent of the clients don't make it 16 weeks in the program, let alone until graduation. I have concrete proof of this statistic.

Out of the hundreds, how many would have succeeded on their own without participating in the program? Nobody really knows However, the spontaneous relapse rate for substance abuse addiction is about the same as the rate claimed by NA and AA. In other words, doing nothing is about as effective as AA or NA. And then there is the issue of a government-funded program that forces clients to participate in a faith-based program. State and federal courts have concluded that AA and NA are faith-based programs, despite the insane wordplay that is used to claim otherwise (higher power, as you understand him or it).

As soon as keeping beds filled was needed to pay the bills, Chrysalis House modified its relapse policy. Serenity Apartments? What a joke. Chrysalis House actually thought it could create a sober living community. They soon learned that tenants had rights and could refuse drug testing and alcohol consumption was perfectly legal behavior. Chrysalis House has turned into a parody of a once proud program. When I revealed what was had happened to Chrysalis House to Lexington recover icon Mary Porter, she was shocked.
Dorothy

Manchester, KY

#15 Feb 27, 2011
Chick wrote:
I know for a fact it's a joke. The herald leader a couple of years ago did a five day article about a girl going through drug court and her getting in the chrysalis house, well she fell and was sent to jail, then they done a interview the last day with a husband and wife who had went through there and was concidered their success story. That couple was smoking crack the night before the interview, they both had relapsed as soon as they were done with the random piss tests. Billy and Jennifer Holland was such a joke on the interview. They both are still at it, Jennifer smokes crack and huffs paint and shes like 45 and then you have the husband who smokes crack and snorts pills, both take trips down south to pay for their addictions. SO if this is a chrysalis house success story damn hard to hear about the failures
If that is true, that is an absolute shame for real.
lexgirl

Fairborn, OH

#16 Jan 30, 2012
I was a client of Chrysalis house for almost 6 months. I am white and was discriminated against because of my color. And yes it is mostly run by "recovering addicts" that are of color. I was talked down to and finally discharged because of saying they were racists. I was ready for the help of getting clean and with no thanks to them, I am still clean. While I was being discharged, the famous DR. that runs the place said they have never had anyone complain in all the years they have been there. I find that very hard to believe. The women are scared to say anything. I did and was kicked out.
thisone

United States

#17 Jan 30, 2012
lexgirl wrote:
I was a client of Chrysalis house for almost 6 months. I am white and was discriminated against because of my color. And yes it is mostly run by "recovering addicts" that are of color. I was talked down to and finally discharged because of saying they were racists. I was ready for the help of getting clean and with no thanks to them, I am still clean. While I was being discharged, the famous DR. that runs the place said they have never had anyone complain in all the years they have been there. I find that very hard to believe. The women are scared to say anything. I did and was kicked out.
I knew someone there once. Some of the girls there are cute. Maybe u were one of them :) wanna get together and have some fun sometime? Most of then seemed like they enjoyed having fun. I can send pics in email
melissa

Miamisburg, OH

#18 Jan 30, 2012
lexgirl wrote:
Figures. That usually happens pretty regularly in the recovery community. While some of those recovering addicts make good staff personnel and good mentors to other addicts, most still have that "back on the block" syndrome going on and have no business being staff anywhere. You keep doing what you are doing. Don't let some closet racist dry drunks spoil your sobriety.
curious

Miamisburg, OH

#19 Feb 12, 2012
Is this place still running?

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#20 Feb 12, 2012
curious wrote:
Is this place still running?
YES!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lexington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 48 min old man 172,995
********** Life is good in Trumpland! ************ (Feb '17) 2 hr scotty steiner 1,559
Just What About Mr. Trump You Don't Like?? 2 hr scotty steiner 355
Craigslist is the new Amazon for your pet Adopt... 3 hr Ima Vote 2
White House 3 hr Henri 11
Craigslist 3 hr Sal 7
New Charges Manafort and Gates 4 hr JUDAS MARK LEVIN 6

Lexington Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Lexington Mortgages