Dog and PONY

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 12, 2011

I want to start by saying that my kids did not play at either SL or SE, but we have had more than a few opportunities to be around the parks, parents and most importantly KIDS of those leagues. Personally I have never seen anything out of the ordinary from either side. I think both leagues do their best to protect the best interest of their kids, facilities, and product. I think it is only human nature that the better players get preferential treatment and MAYBE that is effected by the relationship that a given parent has with the league or "board". To be completely honest I see very little wrong with an organization rewarding a family for its time, energy, resources, and dedication to it.

I have had 2 kids play at SouthWest PONY and have loved our experience there. My first son was NOT a great player. I believe that he was treated very fair by the league, the coaches, the umpires and other parents. I helped coach several of his teams. Was he given preferential treatment? absolutely not. he was never on an All Star team, nor should he have been.

My younger son is a much better player and just a better athlete. He is treated no differently than his older brother was. The interesting thing about it though is this...they are 9 years apart. The people that were running the league when my oldest played are no longer around now, YET things remain very close to the same way.

It MAY be true that SL and SE have "better" programs than SW, but I would like to point out that this past summer SW's 8 year old's won the PONY "World Series" and our 11 year olds finished 2nd in the East regionals (and easily could have won). Our T-ball team finished 3rd in the Bluegrass State games beating both SE "Crush" and SL "Red" during the tournament.

Please understand tha I am not trying to brag about our kids or the program (ok maybe I am a little), but just trying to point out how lucky we are on the South side of Lexington to have SOOO many options for our kids to play YOUTH baseball.

We have considered switching our youngest son to SL because it is the bigger league (yes we do live in their district), but we really enjoy the closeness of SW. Most of the parents root for each others kids (even the kids on different teams). Even this summer at any All Star tournament, if the "big kids" were at the same tournament they would come over and cheer on the T-ballers...and of course the T-Ballers would do the same for them.

In the end I hope that every parent makes the bes decision for them when choosing a youth baseball league. for us that decision was SW PONY. Cardinal Run is a beautiful park, the league board members are extremely hard working and fair (no I am not nor do I ever want to be one of them) and they truly do everything they can to try and create a positive baseball experience for every child.
Mack

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2011

To Dog and PONY...we played the SW Tball All Stars 3 times this summer and came away each time with a great experience and new friends. Classy bunch...Cisco is a trip and his kid is a great athlete. I would have to say SW is the closest to SE in terms of a close-knit type organization. SL's size is scary.
SL Mom

Richmond, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2011

Scarey? I'd say not. Yes we have a large amount of kids in our league but everyone knows everyone-that is if your involved with your children and not just tuck and roll at practices and games. My children have been in this league since 2003 and next Spring is my youngest son's last year. I am sad to be leaving but excited to go to "the hill" where I will know people also. In the end it's all about where your child feels most comfortable playing. To each their own :)
Dog and PONY

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2011

Mack...Cisco is def a trip. Not only is Ty a great young athlete, but he is an even better kid. I have to assume it is a product of his raising. My youngest son loves him. Ty really took him under his wing last year (even though they were not on the same team. I cant say enough about him or his parents. All of them are classy people.
please help

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 14, 2012

I see a lot of bad things said about slyb. Can someone give me the name of a good league to get involved in. My child will be 5 in may. Thanks
Been there

Pikeville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 14, 2012

please help wrote:
I see a lot of bad things said about slyb. Can someone give me the name of a good league to get involved in. My child will be 5 in may. Thanks
At 5 y/o the most important thing to do is simply play catch in the back yard every night, hit some balls with a bat, and run, just have fun. Leagues can be fun if you have the right attitude... sit back and relax while the game is played, enjoy these years bc the go so quickly.

This is from a parent whose son played in the Cal Ripken world series.
SEBB parent

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

SEBB always beats SLYB in tournaments and always goes much further...all the way to the OHIO Valley champs. I think SEBB (Southeastern at Veterans not to be Confused with South Lexington at Shilito)has a great balance of competition and fun. The kids all love it up there and its like one big family up there. It is amazing how well they teach baseball up there and it seems fair to me how they do things. There are politics everywhere but that is expected and life. If you want a low key setting go the the Y and your kid can stay on first base whether they get out or not, lol.
Bull

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2013

Judged:

I will be putting my son in another league next year. Our teams' coach didn't know crap about baseball...had him batting near the end of the lineup at 12 yrs old, with a batting average of .750 and on base percentage over .800 ...and can play defense. I was asked if he wanted to be considered for all-stars and of course he wasn't chosen. He should've very well been. I love my child, of course, but if he played baseball like a blind man, I'd be the first to admit it. He definitely deserved more. I will not be put in this position again. I don't kiss up to anyone and I'm not starting now. Things like this should be decided by stats and not friendships and the sort. I am truly disgusted!!
JIM

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2013

BULL is exactly that. Stats for the 9-12 year old division are done by an independant company.( wlstats.net ). There is not a kid hitting 750 and not a kid with an on base % of 800. Jsut another case of parent blaming somone else.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

120 Users are viewing the Lexington Forum right now

Search the Lexington Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 3 min lol 146,143
lola at cowboys 7 min kingme 4
Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 7 min curious 128,578
Xerox - 745 New Circle (Mar '13) 20 min Interested 13
Stupid republicant's 38 min dude 9
Quest church (Aug '09) 38 min Former quester 2,833
Dont pass the freakin cops!! 46 min lol 17
2004 bookstore (Nov '09) 4 hr Joey 5,420
•••