Furlongs of Lexington
First Prev
of 7
Next Last
Liljadedragon

Brea, CA

#1 Aug 1, 2010
I posted this review of the Furlongs Restaurant in Lexington on their Facebook page. It was removed from the wall and it bothers me that the people who manage the wall put so little value on their customer's and patron's perception of the experience.

Posted July 30th, 2010

Just wanted to write a short review of my 1st visit to the Lexington restaurant. The atmosphere was great. And the location was easy to find. The service however was lacking on not only competence but also commitment to it's patrons. Our waiter confessed to us that it was only his first day waiting tables. Our wait times for our food were exceptionally long. After over an hour waiting on our food and after stopping two other waiters to get not only our waiter but also drinks our waiter finally returned informing me he forgot to place the order for my entree. He promised the additional wait would be 3-5 minutes which in reality turned into 25. At that point we decided to leave. My boyfriend spoke with the manager who seemed to have little to no experience managing any restaurant. After seeing the Lexington location featured on Taste of the Bluegrass I was very excited to drive an hour and a half for a special late Father's day meal. When speaking with the manager she apologized and offered for us to take my entree home. At this point we were willing to take it with us but the waiter never put myboyfriend's order in either! I am very disappointed. We have spoke with the owner in Louisville who took our information and promised to mail us vouchers for free meals to try to make this whole situation better. We are still waiting for the vouchers since the end of May. I have to admit I am not pleased at all with the commitment of Furlong's wait staff, management, and owners to customer service. If u want good service, filling food and accountable management a visit to Cracker Barrel will more than surpass the average expectation. Even there the management will visit your table once if not twice before you leave. I think the entire Furlong's establishment can learn a lesson from Cracker Barrel. Kudos to Cracker Barrel for exceptional service and Furlong's is more than an underwhelming experience!!

Since: Aug 10

Lexington, KY

#2 Aug 1, 2010
I'm Tommy Walters, Founder and Creator of Furlongs....As of this past Tuesday July 27th.....I have been awarded the Furlongs name and logo and will be opening Furlongs again as soon as we find a suitable location in Lexington...I have not been in my restaurants since Nov 24, 2008......The place you just ate at belongs to my former partner who will change the name in the upcoming months......I apologize for any inconvenience you have encountered......
Liljadedragon

Brea, CA

#3 Aug 1, 2010
I guess I am looking to see if anyone else has had similar experiences there.
Gone Downhill

Dayton, OH

#4 Aug 1, 2010
We gave up on Furlong's in Lexington after our last visit last fall. We have been long-time customers and love the atmosphere of the Main & Ashland location. However, what we got served last time was the last straw. Knowing what good gumbo should be, we got served what amounted to brown gravy over a bed of rice. Apparently someone didn't know how to make a rue. We experienced the same issues as the last poster in slow service. When I complained that there was no chicken, sausage or anything else that resembled good cajun gumbo, the server sheepishly admitted the regular cook was sick. Our tab remained the same and we weren't offered anything to replace it. I remember when the blackened chicken with crab topping and jambalaya used to be almost more than a grown man could eat. The recent serving looked like something they threw together in a hurry. If Furlong's is going to survive, some changes - drastic - are in order. As for us, we'll go to Gumbo Ya Ya's where you get more for your money and prompt, courteous service. We'll forgo the decor and atmosphere for a meal done right. PS- we have NO ties to Ya Ya, we just like GOOD cajun food. As for now, Furlong's is not worth the wait or the expense.

Lexington, KY

#5 Aug 1, 2010
Hello Gone Downhill.....

I'm terribly sorry for your experience....

I'm Tommy Walters, Founder and Creator of Furlongs....As of this past Tuesday July 27th.....I have been awarded the Furlongs name and logo and will be opening Furlongs again as soon as we find a suitable location in Lexington...I have not been in my restaurants since Nov 24, 2008......The place you just ate at belongs to my former partner who will change the name in the upcoming months......I apologize for any inconvenience you have encountered......
Liljadedragon

United States

#6 Aug 1, 2010
I really hope the new restaurant will revive the reputation I have always heard. I also hope a new showcase on Bluegrass Chefs will air about the return to original management. If this happens I will definitely give Furlongs in Lexington a second chance.

What I thought was a shame was that my postings were removed from Facebook. Other than a few peeved Furlongs Facebook fans I have had NO response from the Lexington manager or the current owner to resolve this bitter taste that has been lingering for months now.

I know this is only my opinion and I am just one person here but I would think that in this day and age of the iPhone, the handheld Internet, and topix.com at my fingertips a restauranteur or manager would have acted immediately. Isn't the customer ALWAYS right? Doesn't customer satisfaction matter anymore?
Unsatisfied Customer

Covington, KY

#7 Aug 3, 2010
My husband and I also had a terrible experience at Furlongs. We usually go to Malone's for special occasions, yet we wanted to try something new, so we decided to go Furlongs for our 5th wedding anniversary. Our waiter was one of the rudest people that I have ever met, we waited way too long on our entrees, and when we mentioned that they advertise a special for couples celebrating their anniversaries, we were pretty much told to forget it. My husband e-mailed the corporate office and also got no response. With all of the other options in Lexington, you would think that Furlongs would want customers to keep coming back. After our ruined evening, we will never return.
Never Again

Lexington, KY

#8 Aug 3, 2010
From best to worst in a very short time. The worst staff anywhere in the food industry including McDonalds.

Lexington, KY

#9 Aug 3, 2010
Unsatisfied Customer &
Never Again

I'm terribly sorry for your experience....

Unsatisfied Customer

Covington, KY

#10 Aug 5, 2010
Thanks for the apology. It's too bad that we didn't get a similar response when we expressed our unhappiness the first time.
Seems Like

Lexington, KY

#11 Aug 5, 2010
many good restaurants do well, then, at (what appears to be) the peak of success they change hands or go under because owners/management get involved with "detrimental" activities that get them in trouble and force them to sell or close. Shame. That tends to happen in Lexington often.

If you leave your name on something and someone
else is running the show, you may have a hard time
undoing the damage. Especially this day and age
when people aren't eating out as much and expect
to get what they pay for.

Good luck.

Lexington, KY

#12 Aug 5, 2010
Unsatisfied Customer wrote:
Thanks for the apology. It's too bad that we didn't get a similar response when we expressed our unhappiness the first time.
Unsatisfied Customer,

I was unaware of your experience, like I mentioned before, I have not been in my restaurants since Nov 24, 2008. They should have contacted you or fixed the problem that evening.....It was out of my hands....

Lexington, KY

#13 Aug 5, 2010
Seems Like wrote:
many good restaurants do well, then, at (what appears to be) the peak of success they change hands or go under because owners/management get involved with "detrimental" activities that get them in trouble and force them to sell or close. Shame. That tends to happen in Lexington often.
If you leave your name on something and someone
else is running the show, you may have a hard time
undoing the damage. Especially this day and age
when people aren't eating out as much and expect
to get what they pay for.
Good luck.
You are right!!!!!!!!!!
Dawn Peay

Mesquite, TX

#14 Oct 25, 2010
Whoever is running the facebook page for Furlongs Lexington is the worst form of customer relations that I can even imagine. They delete posts if you critique them at all, and if you question being deleted they block you from being able to post at all. Furlongs in Louisville was great, loved it, hated to see it close down and I understand a Staxx Roadhouse and BBQ is coming into the Shelbyville Road location. What about Furlongs? Reopening somewhere? It was always packed, especially since the opening of Onizims and I miss going there.
Confused

Lexington, KY

#16 Oct 26, 2010
So the Furlong's on Main & Ashland is now Onizims? And that has nothing to do with Furlongs? And where is the "new" Furlongs in Lexington to be opened by the original owner, Mr. Walters going to be?

I don't see how he will undo the damage the joker that bought his name has done to the reputation.

Lexington, KY

#17 Oct 26, 2010
Dr. Confused,

I will be putting Furlongs in Lexington and Louisville as soon as I find the right locations....

I will hopefully be able to salvage my name and reputation in Lexington......... Thanks to my many loyal friends and patron.....It will take some time in Louisville......but as soon as possible.....we will reopen in Louisville as well...

Also,

No one EVER bought my name....That's all I can say about that.......
mose

Lexington, KY

#18 Oct 26, 2010
Furlongs wrote:
Dr. Confused,
I will be putting Furlongs in Lexington and Louisville as soon as I find the right locations....
I will hopefully be able to salvage my name and reputation in Lexington......... Thanks to my many loyal friends and patron.....It will take some time in Louisville......but as soon as possible.....we will reopen in Louisville as well...
Also,
No one EVER bought my name....That's all I can say about that.......
went to Furlongs or Onizem's this last week. again, along with other posts, i have to say the service was past being awful, the food, when it finally arrived was cold, the folks were all beyond rude. all they care about is overcharging and making the money.
Taken

Lexington, KY

#20 Oct 27, 2010
I wish I had seen these post before I invited my whole family to my husband's 60th surprise birthday celebration. I was very disappointed in the service, the food and the cost of the food, and the fact that my family had to witness this was just a sad day, especially it being a birthday celebration. The service people were unknowlegeable, rude not to mention unconcerned.
Our salads came out pretty quickly, but we had to wait over an hour for the main course. We also had a 2 year old there that was getting very figgity. My daughter asked for crackers 4 times, once asking and the waiter saying "we don't have crackers" Who does not have CRACKERS! My bill for 2 people was over $65 dollars (I won't mention the food - boo). Simply Crazy. I will never return.
Mr Walters, I'm sorry I didn't try it earlier while you were there. A new name for this place won't make it worth the try, 2 thumbs down.
Doubtful

United States

#22 Oct 29, 2010
To "Furlongs"

8-10 years ago Furlongs was one of the Very Best. The atmosphere was great, if noisy. The service was good the kitchen was fast and the food was very good and arrived hot. It was heading down before it moved to Demos where it then missed the mark and failed.

When it reopened on Ashland and Main we were hopeful.... but, consistently bad service, consistently COLD food and way too high prices, which were no less than theft for what they were providing, long ago sealed our decision to pass for good.

If you have what the place had 8 years ago, you will regain your following. But if you are in any way associated with the efforts of the last 6 years, you are wasting your time and money. The only comparable lack of understanding of food is at BHG Malones/Regatta. They simply have the money PORTRAY, themselves as a good place.
local_lex

Lexington, KY

#25 Nov 4, 2010
I have lived in the neighborhood for 2 years, and I used to be a regular. The service has gotten worse even since then.

The new bartender is a total creep, not to mention he pours the worst drink in town.

I would go there if you paid me, it's by far the closest place to eat from my house and I will drive elsewhere now!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lexington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bill Nichols-The Mouse's Ear in Lexington 15 min just me 3
What's your age and how many sex partners you had? (Sep '10) 1 hr good 460
james mcdowell "doodles" 2 hr here 7
Looking for new Mary Kay customers 2 hr NikkiLoveMK4Life 1
Khalilah White Hayes 3 hr Ora 15
Michael Buckner the Kroger slasher 3 hr Felicia 13
hollie isaacs 5 hr she f_ck3d my man 9
More from around the web

Lexington People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE