Southland Christian Church
Click

Lexington, KY

#106 May 25, 2012
calipari wrote:
Yeah it seems to be more of a business and place to make social status not to actually worship.I think it's ridiculous for a church to get that large because it loses the ability to fellowship with one another you are simply a number.
Amen to that. It is nothing but a big business. The people go there to be entertained. The message is very short and he (the preacher) is in with the in-crowd. In other words the "Clicks." I felt very uncomfortable and never returned. I don't need to be involved in trying to fit into their social club. I am just a plain ole country gal with no pretense of being something I'm not.
sallyjohnson48

Salt Lake City, UT

#107 Jul 2, 2012
This is a very interesting article. This doesn't seem like a very good christian church ( http://discovertogether.com ) It doesn't seem like a good area.
MLB

Lexington, KY

#108 Oct 22, 2012
Patluvsvettes2003 wrote:
Stay away from Southland. I used to go there many years ago. There are some really nice people that go there, but there are also the social circles that you will never fit into no matter how hard you try. It is the "money church"; how could it not be. They lost my respect when they refused to have Christmas service on a weekend several years ago because they thought there wouldn't be enough people show up.
It wasn't because not enough people would show up, it's because Southland relies on volunteers to make the Church run. They expected people to serve God and thus serve in their Church. Sometimes that means giving to the poor, but sometimes that means volunteering to work the lights and sound. Simply put, there was not enough volunteers to pull off a Christmas event at Southland...people are traveling for the holidays. The real question is this: in order for Southland to have a Christmas program, you would be asking volunteers and staff to come in and give up a ton of time, for you...were you willing to volunteer your time to make southalnd a success that Christmas? If not, why are you blaming them?
Heather D

Somerset, KY

#109 Feb 17, 2013
Heather wrote:
I am so glad Jon Weece addressed the canceling of the Christmas service tonight. You, Calipari, are way off. The service was canceled because the church believed it would be better for the members to spend that night doing good deeds for others in the community, and making their holiday a little bit better. Do you know what some members of the church and staff did on that night? They went around the city of Lexington and helped those in need. Whether that be feeding the homeless or simply paying for someone's groceries. One man from Southland spent that night at the Waffle House. He bought a .75 cup of coffee, and left the waitress a $1,000 tip in an envelope on the table. Another man gave his vehicle to a college kid (a total stranger, by the way) who had no other way to get back home so he could spend the holidays with his family. So you are wrong, the service being canceled had absolutely nothing to do with finances. You really should have been in attendance tonight... the sermon addressed people like you.:)
Was anyone else in attendance tonight? I'm curious as to what other people thought about the service. I thought it was amazing, and it was the perfect way to prove a point and the reasoning behind It.
I am SO glad you cleared this up!! I adore my church and I'm so far from a snob its crazy. A place that does SO MUCH GOOD in the community and people are bashing it?! Mind-blowing.
Heather D

Somerset, KY

#110 Feb 17, 2013
Also, I don't attend church for the "social" aspect. I attend for the awesome message (which Pastor Weece delivers amazingly), the modern music, atmosphere, and to praise my God! I have personally met the pastor and he is a nice man with a good heart. He baptized a friend of mine and prayed with us beforehand...even shed a tear. For ANYONE to bash a church which is so filled with the Spirit and a Pastor who gives selflessly, is completely uncalled for and disrespectful. Personally, I have never attended a more powerful, loving, amazing church...and I've attended many, large and small. If its not for you, great. Find somewhere that is. But being on here degrading a good thing is doing the devils work.
devil disagrees

Lexington, KY

#111 Feb 17, 2013
Heather D wrote:
Also, I don't attend church for the "social" aspect. I attend for the awesome message (which Pastor Weece delivers amazingly), the modern music, atmosphere, and to praise my God! I have personally met the pastor and he is a nice man with a good heart. He baptized a friend of mine and prayed with us beforehand...even shed a tear. For ANYONE to bash a church which is so filled with the Spirit and a Pastor who gives selflessly, is completely uncalled for and disrespectful. Personally, I have never attended a more powerful, loving, amazing church...and I've attended many, large and small. If its not for you, great. Find somewhere that is. But being on here degrading a good thing is doing the devils work.
SSC SUCKS
Amazing

Nicholasville, KY

#112 Feb 17, 2013
I didn't have time to read all of this thread but I think I read enough to get the gist of the conversation. I just want to say that I have several tattoos and piercings and I attend SCC on a regular basis and I'm involved in a few programs there and never have I ever felt more welcomed and comfortable with a church. Yes it is a very big church and I was very hesitant to attend because I too saw it as a snobby place, but after attending a few services, I saw all the great things Southland does for the community and how much they actually give back and I've been going now for almost 2 years. I will admit that I have ran into a very small few that attend there that look down on me because of my apperance, but I just pray for those and go about my way. It's not about them and it's not about you or me, it's about the message and the love of Jesus. I implore all of you naysayers to give it one chance and I almost guarantee you will change your mind.
mtkjim

Cynthiana, KY

#113 Feb 18, 2013
John Weece is the real deal, true man of God. His church is made up of sinners, like myself. With so many people it is easy to find something you won't like, but listen to the message. This is a wonderful church that does a lot for the community.
jeff

Evansville, IN

#114 Feb 18, 2013
Best church money can buy

Since: Jan 13

Lexington, KY

#115 Feb 18, 2013
Isnt the purpose of a church is to be a gathering place to celebrate the word of God? This church does do good work within the community and i appreciate the work that they do. Personally i think that if you arent comfortable with the size of the church then dont attend it but when you get a bunch of people togather that all have differing personalitys then you will have cliches because people gravitate to those they have things in common with,a church is just a building its not bad or good.

Since: Feb 13

Amelia, OH

#116 Feb 18, 2013
I don't know why all of you are giving a shabang about a church that most of you aren't members of. This is America, a church can be run however it's leader(s) want it to be run. Also, the point of a church is not to focus on the fact that "ohh, they cancelled Christmas." Seriously, I would only be worried if Jon Weece is preaching sacreligiously or if he purposefully became one the "Pretenders" he preached about a couple years back. If you want someone to whine about, talk about Mormons or somebody else for pete's sake, not a church whose only purpose is to worship and serve Jesus.

Since: Feb 13

Amelia, OH

#117 Feb 18, 2013
Click wrote:
<quoted text>
Amen to that. It is nothing but a big business. The people go there to be entertained. The message is very short and he (the preacher) is in with the in-crowd. In other words the "Clicks." I felt very uncomfortable and never returned. I don't need to be involved in trying to fit into their social club. I am just a plain ole country gal with no pretense of being something I'm not.
How can you say that? Of course, churches do use the money people put in the offering plate, and in this church it goes to serving the poor, paying for mission trips, and paying for the huge bill each week so they can actually have a place to worship Jesus. Some messages may be short, yes, but they are full of truth. Now, don't take me the wrong way, Jon Weece isn't the bible, but all he does is unpack scripture in the most genuine, basic way. And he even says if anything he says is wrong, he will publicly apologize for it, and I respect him for that. And there's no in-crowd. I've only gone to that church twice and there is no such thing. Basically, by posting all of these just plain distasteful and wrong comments, you all are creating your own little group. And please don't use the words if you can't spell it. It's cliques, honey. And why do you think you have to try to fit-in? One of the main things about Jesus is he doesn't care who you are, where you've been, or what you've done, he still loves you with an unconditional, unending love.

Since: Feb 13

Amelia, OH

#118 Feb 18, 2013
miss piggy wrote:
all they care about is makin the money
They don't even make that much. Just stop talking. Spare us all.

Since: Jan 13

Lexington, KY

#119 Feb 18, 2013
Didnt know this was a spelling bee and by only going twice isnt enough to say there is or isnt {cliques}.In society you will have those its only natural you have them wherever or whenever alot of people gather.
Hay pile

Duluth, GA

#120 Mar 10, 2013
Ok I grew up in the old southland church and even moved to the new one and noticed that it started turning into a money church right away
I moved out of state for a few years and when I came back i started going back to Southland and all you hear is money money money and thats not what I'm looking for when i go to church and if you would like to have some real fun try showing up in some dirty work clothes and see who your greeted
The truth is Southland has gone commercial and is never coming back is a far cry from what Rev. Smith had in mind
At Southland you don't need God you need CASH
Hay pile

Duluth, GA

#121 Mar 10, 2013
Southland Church of Cash
Heaven is only a credit check away
No money = No salvation

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#122 Mar 10, 2013
I go there often. All I hear about money is helping those in need. Wonderful church.
former parishoner

Nicholasville, KY

#123 Mar 10, 2013
MLB wrote:
<quoted text>
It wasn't because not enough people would show up, it's because Southland relies on volunteers to make the Church run. They expected people to serve God and thus serve in their Church. Sometimes that means giving to the poor, but sometimes that means volunteering to work the lights and sound. Simply put, there was not enough volunteers to pull off a Christmas event at Southland...people are traveling for the holidays. The real question is this: in order for Southland to have a Christmas program, you would be asking volunteers and staff to come in and give up a ton of time, for you...were you willing to volunteer your time to make southalnd a success that Christmas? If not, why are you blaming them?
This is melarchy. The biggest excuses for those not to do church. We did it every Christmas live production, music, and so much more with honor. It was a Southland tradition and it is something that Southland wants to take away from the community and from the church it self that it once stood for. I DON'T EVEN KNOW IF THE NOW Southland. It must be tacky for them now or something.
former parishoner

Nicholasville, KY

#124 Mar 10, 2013
Hay pile wrote:
Ok I grew up in the old southland church and even moved to the new one and noticed that it started turning into a money church right away
I moved out of state for a few years and when I came back i started going back to Southland and all you hear is money money money and thats not what I'm looking for when i go to church and if you would like to have some real fun try showing up in some dirty work clothes and see who your greeted
The truth is Southland has gone commercial and is never coming back is a far cry from what Rev. Smith had in mind
At Southland you don't need God you need CASH
I agree with you so so much. I attened Southland for what a million years. Its just Southland, not known by the christian church anymore. Just Southland.. That says alot.
jess

United States

#125 Mar 10, 2013
Heather wrote:
I think it's hilarious when people complain about Southland being too big of a church. As Jon Weece put it, if you don't like Southland because it's too crowded... you're going to hate Heaven! ;)
You nor Jon Weece make any sense because the bible says the road to heaven is narrow. That bring the case , heaven shouldn't be crowded!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lexington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 16 min ChromiuMan 142,991
Horseshoe motel (Jun '11) 27 min Smurfettafe 34
Mugshots 43 min kala johnson 5
Trump 1 hr hmm 12
Music and bourbon 2 hr Cowboy 3
beautiful milf on barren river court 2 hr yes 45
Zandale Terrace Apartments Any Good? (Oct '13) 3 hr dissatisfied 24
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Lexington Mortgages