Southland Christian Church
Nae

Louisville, KY

#44 Aug 27, 2009
calipari wrote:
Good comparison lol!! I wonder if God will cancel services as well because it is isn't a financially smart decision. Any church that cancels church on Christmas day is a joke and should evaluate themselves. This church has been a joke since Wayne Smith left.They ought to just charge admission and have a golf course in the back and list themselves as a country club and admit what they are instead of saying they're a church. It's almost like going back a few centuries and viewing the act of paying pennance by the Catholic church .
Why does it have to be a joke...did you know why they canceled the service? It wasn't because they weren't going to have people show up....Do you know what "IT" is? You should come to the services some time and your opinion may change...I have never been to a church that refused to take an offering because the minister wanted us to give our money to people on the street that may need it....It is not a money hungry church ..... Please come join us sometime! God forgive you for your judgement of us!
Nae

Louisville, KY

#45 Aug 27, 2009
Jade wrote:
i can't believe you all are arguing about church. If you believe in god that should be all that matters. Southland is a great church, Jon Weece has done a great job, and im grateful to be a part of that church.
well said
Nae

Louisville, KY

#46 Aug 27, 2009
Heather wrote:
I am so glad Jon Weece addressed the canceling of the Christmas service tonight. You, Calipari, are way off. The service was canceled because the church believed it would be better for the members to spend that night doing good deeds for others in the community, and making their holiday a little bit better. Do you know what some members of the church and staff did on that night? They went around the city of Lexington and helped those in need. Whether that be feeding the homeless or simply paying for someone's groceries. One man from Southland spent that night at the Waffle House. He bought a .75 cup of coffee, and left the waitress a $1,000 tip in an envelope on the table. Another man gave his vehicle to a college kid (a total stranger, by the way) who had no other way to get back home so he could spend the holidays with his family. So you are wrong, the service being canceled had absolutely nothing to do with finances. You really should have been in attendance tonight... the sermon addressed people like you.:)
Was anyone else in attendance tonight? I'm curious as to what other people thought about the service. I thought it was amazing, and it was the perfect way to prove a point and the reasoning behind It.
I was there...and loved "IT"! Exspecially loved the outpouring of love we showed our fellow lexintonians when we went around the city showing love as Jesus would...no matter what there job was if they even had one....God Bless you all
Dona

Louisville, KY

#47 Sep 28, 2009
calipari wrote:
Good comparison lol!! I wonder if God will cancel services as well because it is isn't a financially smart decision. Any church that cancels church on Christmas day is a joke and should evaluate themselves. This church has been a joke since Wayne Smith left.They ought to just charge admission and have a golf course in the back and list themselves as a country club and admit what they are instead of saying they're a church. It's almost like going back a few centuries and viewing the act of paying pennance by the Catholic church .
It saddens me for anyone to make judgements about Southland. Those of us who call Southland home know about the year we didn't have church (in the building) on Christmas and the reason had nothing to do with a "financial decision". It was decision made with a pure heart. God knows Southland's heart.
I am more sorry that wrong impressions have been felt about Southland's love and intentions. I pray you will give us another chance. We do great things for so many...I pray you search for and find a church family that will empower you.
Dona

Louisville, KY

#48 Sep 28, 2009
idiots wrote:
If they are so concerned on saving the dancers souls, then why not put bibles in their gift baskets instead of victoria secret gift cards? Or instead of them going to the strip clubs, why not invite the dancers to church for a dinner? Why not try to get them away from the strip club? This seems to encourage them to go to the club. Their article on this last year even said that some of the dancers come in on their days off, just so they can eat the food that Southland brought. This is the stupidest thing I've ever heard of. Why not go to homeless shelters and take food? Why, because the homeless people have no money, they want the dancers to like Southland, because those dancers make several thousand dollars a week and they can make a big offering to the church.
I am sorry that you are so sad and critical of things you know nothing about. In my prayers....
jb christ lover

Newport, KY

#49 Oct 28, 2009
look, in case you haven't heard recently, Jon Weece is basically asking people to give up large parts of their lives. Since the IT series more and more people have been helped. Just because you can't handle the large crowds doesn't mean it's a terrible church and that we're all going to hell. I'm actually dirt poor and I love it there. Jon preaches a lot about how we need to give up as much money as we can and help people. The high school ministry supports it too. The current series is about how being a christian isn't comfortable and how it's a hard life. I know a lot of kids who are well off who are my best friends and I relate fine to them and everyone else at southland. To some people the large crowds help them to learn more. And if you have a question, you can simply go to a leader of the church. It doesn't have to be the senior pastor. I know several who have their own flocks that they know by name. Southland is all about smaller groups. The whole point is to live life in community. I know several othe people who do bible studies and life groups and they bring their problems to them. You shouldn't necessarily have to bring a problem to the pastor for the pastor to solve anyways. If you read the bible daily then your answer usually lies in there. Everybody is different and that's why there's so many different types of churches out there. Because you don't like one of them doesn't mean that it's terrible and sinful. There are multiple verses in the bible about how you shouldn't do or say something if it will make your brother fall. That's exactly what you're doing. What if a good christian person read these posts and thought that they were going to hell and gave up on christianity? Jon Weece has remarked on this before as well. It's why he doesn't drink and doesn't do a lot of other things. He knows there are people in the church who come from other churches that believe differently and he wouldn't want them to stumble in their walk because of something he's done.
Sister

Mount Sterling, KY

#50 Oct 30, 2009
Couldn't have said it better ^jb christ lover.
I've attended this church for nearly 2 years and have never felt unincluded just because I didn't go to LCA or because I'm not excrutiatingly wealthy. Fortunately, I realize that these simple yet seemingly important aspects in today's society don't phase the love that I have for Jesus Christ. But I also know, for I am friends with current students enrolled at LCA and as well as LCA alumni, that wealth and status have not phased their love either. Let the size of your heart determine your love for Him, not the size of your $$ balance. If this church is a "money church," than what do you think the money is going to? Southland, being the number one voted church in Lexington (yep, read the award booklet in a recent issue of the lexington paper) uses funds to help those who can not help themselves.

Well, this is all I have to say, hands getting sweaty! Praise this church for having such an impact on so many lives, but most of all- praise God.
nonbeliever

Shepherdsville, KY

#51 Oct 31, 2009
I am not a Christian and do not attend Southland, but I must say: they do a LOT of really good work here, and even abroad. The Haiti mission ALONE justifies the existence of the church, and some of the local programs are really reaching out to those who need help.

I used to hate churches and Christians, but it was the good works of the people of Southland that made me reconsider.

My 2cents.
Another supporter

Berea, KY

#52 Nov 1, 2009
For those of you who think Southland is all about cliques and doesn't do enough good, I urge you to watch our church service that will air next Sunday.

We packed enough meals this past week to feed over 2800 children for an entire year. We have a "Dollar Club", where they take one dollar from the offering for each person at the weekend services and give the money to someone in the area who desperately needs it - this is usually over $10,000 per weekend. I have been attending Southland for over 3 years, and I have never seen a church do so much to reach out and help people. We have two free medical clinics, a house to host homeless people, and soon a house to host recovering strippers.

If you don't like big churches, don't come to ours. I hope everyone finds a church they are comfortable in. But please don't judge Southland. Nobody is perfect, but we try our best to do a lot of good.
logical

Lexington, KY

#53 Nov 3, 2009
Heather wrote:
I think it's hilarious when people complain about Southland being too big of a church. As Jon Weece put it, if you don't like Southland because it's too crowded... you're going to hate Heaven! ;)
Based on what I've seen out of people in general I don't think Heaven will be that crowded..Hell is where the crowd will be.
the end

Melvin, KY

#54 Nov 5, 2009
http://www.msplinks.com/MDFodHRwOi8vd3d3Lnlvd...

PLEASE WATCH AND SPREAD THE WORD !!!!!!!!
Jimmy

Henderson, KY

#55 Nov 8, 2009
I guess you could make the argument that the services are superficial and fake because the services are more dramatic than others, but in my short duration of attendance at Southland, my personal experience has been nothing short of authentic. Maybe it's a difference of who you are.

I was raised in a small Baptist church in Calloway County. We had an attendance of about 50. I've been to several megachurches in different parts of the country, and had generally formed a negative opinion about megachurches in general. That said, I love Southland. The worship and sermons may be showy, but they're not the spiritually-anemic performance art that I've witnessed in other large churches.
SouthlandChurchR ocks

Lexington, KY

#56 Nov 9, 2009
They are not all about $. They helped me when my husband ran out on my family. They didn't even know me, I asked for help. They gave me food, clothing, furniture and asked for nothing in return.
I don't have a car, but attend when I can or watch on Sunday on Channel 36 WTVQ Sunday mornings at 10:00 AM. Complete strangers will come up and give you a hug and welcome you. I love the diversity in their home. Please don't spread vicious lies about them. Thank you
max

Coshocton, OH

#57 Nov 9, 2009
Many mega churches simulate the smaller church by various groups within the church. Ideal church congregation size is 200 to 250 with single pastor. Unfortunately, this leads to denominations, and centralized
governance where scripture can be voted as no longer relevant as was
demonstrated recently by the ELCA (Lutheran) church wide assembly.
shawn

Lexington, KY

#58 Nov 16, 2009
calipari wrote:
Good comparison lol!! I wonder if God will cancel services as well because it is isn't a financially smart decision. Any church that cancels church on Christmas day is a joke and should evaluate themselves. This church has been a joke since Wayne Smith left.They ought to just charge admission and have a golf course in the back and list themselves as a country club and admit what they are instead of saying they're a church. It's almost like going back a few centuries and viewing the act of paying pennance by the Catholic church .
May I ask what church you go to, and if so do they support what your saying about other churches is the "christian way" The best thing you can do is keep your eye on the prize "Love God Love people" and am finding it hard to see it here, but keep trying thats the great thing about God, he gives you a choice and lets you learn from your mistakes!!! take care
Love

Lexington, KY

#59 Nov 21, 2009
All I have to say is that, I have only good things to say about Southland!
tells the truth

Somerset, KY

#60 Nov 22, 2009
windbags and farts
Hey

Lexington, KY

#61 Nov 22, 2009
LOOKS like ur from Canada! HHUUUMMMMMM!!! What do you know about Southland? Eva been there? Its a great place, maybe you should go and get the message!
LDS

Louisville, KY

#62 Nov 22, 2009
www.mormon.org
Come and worship Jesus Christ, the Son of God.n This site will answer questions and direct you to a local LDS Church for the Holidays.
looker

Columbus, OH

#63 Nov 23, 2009
mega and mega bucks. the new church. only attend if you have the bucks to support.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lexington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Swingers clubs in Kentucky, Louisville area (May '14) 2 min Lex 116
Not over yet 3 min Idiot Elect Trump 1
Final message to Ashley Kaye Martin 15 min Drew 7
Season RED AND WHITE OAK FIRE WOOD 17 min BEN 1
wood for sale (Nov '14) 19 min BEN 2
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 24 min LOL in a suit 156,501
Add a word, Drop a word (Dec '09) 27 min Princess Hey 6,897

Lexington Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Lexington Mortgages