Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 Full story: The Courier-Journal 132,120

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Full Story

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#127583 Apr 3, 2014
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>So all these laws that were claimed by the supposed prophets as laws given to them by god were just lies? Tell me, just how do you cherry pick was is truth and what are lies in the bible?
What? No. The Bible is not that simple to understand.
Different laws were given to Moses' people because they had shown God that they were too wicked to live the higher law. So He gave them lesser, simpler, temporal laws to obey.
For example, eye for an eye, old law. Turn the other cheek, new law. Law of tithing, old law. Law of consecration, new law.
Even before Moses there were laws that were later fulfilled. Such as the Law of sacrifice. After Jesus, the ultimate sacrifice, law fulfilled.
This doesn't mean old prophets lied. Different laws applicable to different sets of people. The end goal of God is the same: for everyone to complete this time on earth, pass the test of faith and gain a physical body, and return to love with Him in Heaven.

Location hidden

#127584 Apr 3, 2014
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Please be specific, just what "higher law" did the Jews not love? Seems to be a large stereotyping here.
I guess you feel Jews today do not love the higher law of god. Seems a perfect recipe for anti Semitism.
There are laws pertaining to the Aaronic priesthood (Moses' brother) or also called the Levitical Priesthood. When Christ came to earth, He taught us that He brought with Him the Holy Priesthood, also called the Melchizedec Priesthood. This is the higher law. The lesser priesthood focuses on temporal ordinances, while the higher priesthood focuses on eternal ordinances, such as the power to bind on earth and in Heaven as mentioned in the NT.
No sir, you cannot turn this into something it is not. Please do not put those words in my mouth.

Location hidden

#127585 Apr 3, 2014
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Seems the rules change depending upon what you wish to believe. It is as if man makes the rules, not a god that knows all.
No, please refer to my earlier posts. You need to fully understand the end goal of this entire existence before you can understand why things happened in the Bible as they did.

Location hidden

#127586 Apr 3, 2014
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>I know it is not what you were saying, but it is my belief. The same reason you feel your church is the one true church is why some feel yours is not even of Christianity. Of course they are twisting what the common definition of Christianity is, but sense when are they ever following the rules of language? They change the meanings of words to fit their agenda and views, just as many follow one passage of the bible and not others depending upon their agenda and view.
You see, the crux of the flaws religion makes, can turn your entire mentality to twist things in odd ways.
It's not the fault of the religion, or even because of the existence of religion. Are words misspelled because pencils exist? Is it the pencil's fault?
No

Since: Oct 13

Lexington, KY

#127587 Apr 3, 2014
Yeshua in the Old Testament

Recently I have had some conversations with people who have questioned Yeshua in the old testament.. Some have down right rejected any concept of Yeshua in the Old Testament and called it a kind of allegorical reading of the old testament.. Others do believe he was there but not fully known. Others do not believe that deity of Christ, Trinity, or the sacrificial work of the cross were present.. When I have stated that Yeshua was fully known by Old Testament believers I have been said to be "jesting"... All of these people claimed the name of Christian. I found this to be quite shocking and so I had started to prepare my listing...

If you want Yeshua's sacrificial work of the cross you only need to go to Psalm 22 which are the very words of the Messiah on the cross while dying..

The following will be a comprehensive list of Yeshua in the Old Testament that I have been working on..

The name of Yeshua is found in Psalms 3:8; 9:14; 13:5; 14:7; 20:5; 21:1, 5; 35:9; 38:22; 40:10, 16; 50:23; 51:14; 53:6; 62:1, 2, 6; 68:19; 69:29; 70:4; 71:15; 74:12; 78:22; 88:1; 89:26; 91:16; 96:2; 98:2, 3; 106:4; 116:13; 118:14, 15, 21; 119:41, 81, 123, 155, 166, 174; 140:7; 144:10; 149:4.

Something that struck me as I was researching Psalm 89 is that this is the restatement of the Davidic covenant which clearly speaks of Yeshua and it also contains both his name (translated as “salvation”) and his title “Messiah” fully four times.

The following list will contain the Old Testament references followed by a New Testament references

Born of the Seed of the Woman Gn 3:15 -- Gal 4:4, Mt 1:20
Born of a Virgin Is 7:14 -- Mt 1:18, 24,25, Lk 1:26-35
Son of God Ps 2:7, 2Sa 7:12-16, 1Ch 17:11-14 -- Mt 3:17, 26:63-64, Mk 3:11, 9:7, Ac 13:30-33, Jn 1:34

Lexington, KY

#127590 Apr 3, 2014
Yeshua portrait by the different books of the Old Testament...

In Genesis, Yeshua is the seed of woman who will bruise the head of the serpent. We see Melchizedek the King of Righteousness and Yeshua is our High Priest "on the order of Melchizedek."

In Exodus, The lamb slain whose blood was on the doorposts of the Israelites is a precursor to Yeshua, the Lamb of God.

In Leviticus, the sacrifices and offerings are symbolic of the sacrifice of Yeshua .

In Numbers, the rock and the manna are symbolic of Yeshua, the Bread of Life and the Rock of our salvation.

In Deuteronomy we see the Prophet who is to come who is "like unto Moses".

We see the Captain of the Lord's Hosts in Joshua, an Old Testament manifestation of Yeshua.

In Judges we have the Angel of the LORD who appeared to Manoah and his wife. We see the many judges who were saviors to Israel.

Ruth shows us the kinsman-redeemer. Yeshua is our Kinsman-Redeemer.

The books of Samuel reveal David, the prince and the king. Yeshua will sit upon the throne of David. Yeshua is the Root and offspring of Jesse.

The books of Kings show us the earthly kings and their shortfalls. Yeshua will be King of kings and Lord of lords. Yeshua is He who is "greater than Solomon" and "greater than the Temple."

Chronicles shows Yeshua as "the King's son" rescued from the dead and hidden in the House of the LORD to be manifested in due time. This was good king Joash. Read the story in 2 Chronicles 22-23.

In Ezra, Yeshua is the "nail in the holy place."

Nehemiah speaks of the "bread from Heaven" and the water out of the Rock." Both typify Yeshua.

The seed of woman (through whom Yeshua would come) is preserved in Esther (the Jews were saved by her intervention). The name of the LORD is spelled out in four acrostics in Esther.

Job talks about his redeemer in 19:25 "For I know that my redeemer liveth, and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth:"

Yeshua is seen throughout the Psalms. Please see previous section on Yeshua in the Psalms.

Proverbs tell us about the Wisdom of God, who is Yeshua.

Lexington, KY

#127591 Apr 3, 2014
Ecclesiastes shows Yeshua as the "one man in a thousand" among the emptiness of life under the sun.

Song of Songs portrays Yeshua. He is shown as the faithful Shepherd, and the Bridegroom.

Isaiah tells of the Suffering Servant who is Yeshua who was "wounded for our transgressions," and "bruised for our iniquities." Isaiah said that "with his stripes we are healed."

Jeremiah reveals the Righteous Branch.

Ezekiel shows Yeshua as the True Shepherd, the Prince, and the Son of Man.

In Daniel, Yeshua is Messiah the Prince, who is "cut off."

Hosea is Yeshua' namesake, for Hoseah means Yehovah's Savior just as Yeshua does.

Joel speaks of Israel's deliverer.

Amos speaks of raising the tabernacle of David. Yeshua came to earth and tabernacled among us. See John 1:14, where the word "dwelt" actually means "tabernacled".

Obadiah tells us of the Deliverer on Mount Zion.

Jonah, mentioned above, is the sign Yeshua would give the world (three days and nights in the belly of a fish).

Micah speaks of the King passing before them.

Nahum tells us of the Stronghold in Trouble.

Habakkuk talks about the Holy One whose glory covers the sky.

In Zephaniah we are told of the Mighty God in the midst of Zion.

Haggai calls Yeshua the "desire of all nations."

Zechariah speaks of "the Branch".

Malachi calls Him the Sun of Righteousness.

Location hidden

#127592 Apr 3, 2014
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>So instead of like biblical times, your rules of god come from a republic of sorts. In biblical times, it was of dictatorship. Both claim it is of some revelation from a god, but of course, one must simply believe they speak for a god without any evidence. It is blind faith in the men who make these claims.
Can you explain how you came to that conclusion from my post?

Location hidden

#127593 Apr 3, 2014
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Not sure what they call them, but the automatic excommunication is far from closing the gaps and loving.
Just blindly follow the rules of the republic of Mormonism.
Excommunication is a blessing for them because it allows them to repent and become baptized again if they so choose. It cleans the slate for them and we welcome them back with open arms. You seem to have less of an understanding of things than I remember, or maybe you just grew more negative. Care to have a conversation and leave the snarky insults out? Discussions go much better that way.

Location hidden

#127594 Apr 3, 2014
justice_- wrote:
<quoted text>Religion is a very effective tool for people to judge and kill for. I think people have their own translation of what God supposedly wants .They take a verse from the Bible and twist it into their own beliefs and use it against each other . Why do you suppose there are so many versions of the Bible ? They have edited it to fit their own agendas . This. is why I don't believe any of it. Who knows what really occured. There is so much contradiction and lies.
My point exactly. It shouldn't have been that way. We believe it is as Jesus said it would be: a falling away from the church. People would look here and there and not find it. The priesthood was no longer on the earth. No one to receive revelation for the body of the church once the Apostles were killed. But He also said there would be a restitution of all things. The priesthood would be restored and the earth would prepare for His return. We believe this restoration occurred and that the priesthood is again active on earth. We believe in the same organization Jesus began, a prophet, 12 apostles, quorum of the 70, and all the callings within the priesthood. God said he does things through His prophets. We believe we are in these end times when these prophecies are being fulfilled.

Location hidden

#127596 Apr 3, 2014
Apostle Amber wrote:
Ecclesiastes shows Yeshua as the "one man in a thousand" among the emptiness of life under the sun.

Song of Songs portrays Yeshua. He is shown as the faithful Shepherd, and the Bridegroom.

Isaiah tells of the Suffering Servant who is Yeshua who was "wounded for our transgressions," and "bruised for our iniquities." Isaiah said that "with his stripes we are healed."

Jeremiah reveals the Righteous Branch.

Ezekiel shows Yeshua as the True Shepherd, the Prince, and the Son of Man.

In Daniel, Yeshua is Messiah the Prince, who is "cut off."

Hosea is Yeshua' namesake, for Hoseah means Yehovah's Savior just as Yeshua does.

Joel speaks of Israel's deliverer.

Amos speaks of raising the tabernacle of David. Yeshua came to earth and tabernacled among us. See John 1:14, where the word "dwelt" actually means "tabernacled".

Obadiah tells us of the Deliverer on Mount Zion.

Jonah, mentioned above, is the sign Yeshua would give the world (three days and nights in the belly of a fish).

Micah speaks of the King passing before them.

Nahum tells us of the Stronghold in Trouble.

Habakkuk talks about the Holy One whose glory covers the sky.

In Zephaniah we are told of the Mighty God in the midst of Zion.

Haggai calls Yeshua the "desire of all nations."

Zechariah speaks of "the Branch".

Malachi calls Him the Sun of Righteousness.
Jesus had many names. What is your overall point?
Anotherstupidmad eupname

Monticello, KY

#127597 Apr 3, 2014
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
What can I say to this?
If anyone ever doubted that Christianity corrupts people and leaves them with a warped and twisted morality - well, here's the proof.
We saw the same from Dog Boy when he went on record as saying that the Jews "had it coming" and "got what they deserved"
Remember Anne Frank? I'm sure you do - she wrote a famous diary.
The innocence and hope in her diary is an inspiration and despite all that she went through, she wrote lines like this:
"In spite of everything I still believe that people are truly good at heart"
"Everyone has inside of him a piece of good news. The good news is that you don't know how great you can be! How much you can love! What you can accomplish! And what your potential is!"
"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before beginning to improve the world."
She died at the age of fifteen in a death camp ran by a nation that was populated by an overwhelming Christian majority.
What was her crime? Like millions of believers the world over, she was born into and adopted the faith of her parents and culture and for that she had to die and that's that.
Well, actually, no, that's not that.
Why?
Because under your disgusting belief system, Anne Frank is now in hell alongside Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot, etc.
Anne never accepted Jesus and (according to your twisted beliefs) for that she must be tortured for all eternity.
Your beliefs are sick.
I know you are NOT saying God headed up the Holocaust! No one is that ignorant outside of a cage.If Ann Frank never heard the gospel then God being just will judge her accordingly, as a child who has never reached accountability. Take your temp. I believe you have come down with something too.

Since: Feb 14

Location hidden

#127598 Apr 3, 2014
The child in you makes you an honest person, who is emotional, gets worried, afraid of deceiving anyone, talking wrong, scared of god and still gives you a space to enjoy life in this busy mechanical world. Actually, the child in you makes you feel lighter and also softer. The child in you makes it easy to relate to your own self. The child like excitement of doing things with utmost effort and perfection still makes you feel good and satisfied.
Big Fish Tale

Monticello, KY

#127599 Apr 3, 2014
Dog Boy and proud wrote:
<quoted text>
further clarification
this was a conditional prophecy. If they repent God will relent. This is a remarkable display of faith, as they had to immediately give up their idols to seek the Lord. The only ground which their faith rested on, was the fact of God sending the prophet to warn them, instead of destroying them at once; this suggested the thought of a possibility of pardon. Jonah 3:9-10:“Who can tell if God will turn and relent, and turn away from His fierce anger, so that we may not perish? Then God saw their works, that they turned from their evil way; and God relented from the disaster that He had said He would bring upon them, and He did not do it.”
Jonah 3:7–10
7 dAnd he caused it to be proclaimed and published throughout Nineveh by the decree of the king and his 2nobles, saying,
Let neither man nor beast, herd nor flock, taste anything; do not let them eat, or drink water. 8 But let man and beast be covered with sackcloth, and cry mightily to God; yes, elet every one turn from his evil way and from fthe violence that is in his hands. 9 gWho can tell if God will turn and relent, and turn away from His fierce anger, so that we may not perish?
10 hThen God saw their works, that they turned from their evil way; and God relented from the disaster that He had said He would bring upon them, and He did not do it.
Read Jonah chapter 4 makes everything very clear
But exactly where in the Bible does it say Jonah prophesied this would happen? He was God's chosen messenger to deliver a "warning".to Nineveh. It was not prophecy fulfilled. Please show me scripture that prophecies this would happen to Jonah and who was the prophet by name? Just trying to get this straight for myself as well. In those days it was common to kill the messenger of bad news!
spaceship

Roseville, CA

#127600 Apr 3, 2014
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
You lost me. I'm not sure what you mean
Simply put, that if one represents their religion as truth and is not, then the bible condemns their leaders and the followers to hell. That was the meaning.

I know that it is contrary to what you have said about your church doctrines. I notice not hardly any religious posters test your message and so atheist will ask for them.

I notice also that most if not all Christians never talk about the 1000 yr reign of Christ. Why is it necessary to have a 1000 year reign if you all going to heaven anyway? Does not make any sense.
spaceship

Roseville, CA

#127601 Apr 3, 2014
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Excommunication is a blessing for them because it allows them to repent and become baptized again if they so choose. It cleans the slate for them and we welcome them back with open arms. You seem to have less of an understanding of things than I remember, or maybe you just grew more negative. Care to have a conversation and leave the snarky insults out? Discussions go much better that way.
You have to admit that is a left handed compliment by LDS doctrine that wants to extend the olive branch extended to non-lds christians by saying they will be save to a lower status or slave status compared with Mormons in heaven. Then plan b "eternal torture is applied to atheist and unbelievers by Jesus, that is immoral by even our human standards. I think the Holy Ghost must have made me say that.
Dog Boy and proud

Ocoee, FL

#127602 Apr 3, 2014
Big Fish Tale wrote:
<quoted text>But exactly where in the Bible does it say Jonah prophesied this would happen? He was God's chosen messenger to deliver a "warning".to Nineveh. It was not prophecy fulfilled. Please show me scripture that prophecies this would happen to Jonah and who was the prophet by name? Just trying to get this straight for myself as well. In those days it was common to kill the messenger of bad news!
1;11The word of the LORD came to Jonah the son of Amittai saying, 2"Arise, go to Nineveh the great city and cry against it, for their wickedness has come up before Me."…

3 Then the word of the Lord came to Jonah a second time: 2 “Go to the great city of Nineveh and proclaim to it the message I give you.”

3 Jonah obeyed the word of the Lord and went to Nineveh. Now Nineveh was a very large city; it took three days to go through it. 4 Jonah began by going a day’s journey into the city, proclaiming,“Forty more days and Nineveh will be overthrown.” 5 The Ninevites believed God. A fast was proclaimed, and all of them, from the greatest to the least, put on sackcloth.

Matthew 12:41 ASV

The men of Nineveh shall stand up in the judgment with this generation, and shall condemn it: for they repented at the preaching of Jonah; and behold, a greater than Jonah is here

Not sure if this answers your question...I believe he prophesied their destruction based on God's instructions. They repented. Repented is the key.....Inwhich case ,since that was what God wanted to accomplish , their repentance,they were forgiven.
Had they not repented , they would have been destroyed.
The whole point being, that,whether he was sent as a prophet or a messenger , Jonah did not get it wrong.
That is the nonsense and misleading information that unbelievers post ,
It is not the first time nor will it be the last,
You said it

Monticello, KY

#127603 Apr 3, 2014
justice_- wrote:
<quoted text>
Religion is a very effective tool for people to judge and kill for. I think people have their own translation of what God supposedly wants .They take a verse from the Bible and twist it into their own beliefs and use it against each other . Why do you suppose there are so many versions of the Bible ? They have edited it to fit their own agendas . This. is why I don't believe any of it. Who knows what really occured. There is so much contradiction and lies.
As you said, who knows what really happened? Why always the negative side of things? It's just as plausible that it is true as that it full of lies and contradictions. Words have been changed but most versions keep with the same meaning. Modernizing to a more understandable version other than the old Elizabethan style. Some I believe is the greed for huge sales profits with every new version that is published, I would hope it is to help people understand more easily. If you feel that is a justifiable reason for not reading any Bible it is your choice..

Location hidden

#127604 Apr 3, 2014
spaceship wrote:
<quoted text>Simply put, that if one represents their religion as truth and is not, then the bible condemns their leaders and the followers to hell. That was the meaning.

I know that it is contrary to what you have said about your church doctrines. I notice not hardly any religious posters test your message and so atheist will ask for them.

I notice also that most if not all Christians never talk about the 1000 yr reign of Christ. Why is it necessary to have a 1000 year reign if you all going to heaven anyway? Does not make any sense.
The 1000 year reign, we aren't told much about it other than Satan loses the battle. I think that this is one thing that will happen during this period.
You may know my church is huge into genealogy. We believe that while in "prison" that spirits can accept the gospel of Jesus Christ and still be admitted into Heaven. However Jesus said that no one will enter Heaven that isn't baptized by water and by fire (which means receiving the Gift of the Holy Ghost). This is why we do ordinances in proxy for those that have past (this practice sounds strange until you read that it was a common practice in New Testament times - it's mentioned in 1 Corinthians 15: 29 when explaining that the resurrection is a real event that will happen). This gives people that choose to accept the gospel in the spirit world the opportunity to have those temporal ordinances done for them. It's their choice to accept it or not. If they don't, it's just a wasted effort with good intentions.
We already see doors opening up as we do genealogy to trace back our ancestors and perform this work for them so they have this opportunity. The tools we have access to now are amazing. But since we are trying to give all souls that opportunity, we are trying to link back everyone all the way back to Adam because we are all brothers and sisters and children of God. We want all to be together in Heaven, just as God desires. I believe genealogy will be crazy easy without the adversary trying to suppress this work during that 1000 years. He wants everyone to be miserable like he will be in eternity. But the work will move at an incredible rate without him interfering.
Just a thought.
Big Fish Tale

Monticello, KY

#127605 Apr 3, 2014
Dog Boy and proud wrote:
<quoted text>
1;11The word of the LORD came to Jonah the son of Amittai saying, 2"Arise, go to Nineveh the great city and cry against it, for their wickedness has come up before Me."…
3 Then the word of the Lord came to Jonah a second time: 2 “Go to the great city of Nineveh and proclaim to it the message I give you.”
3 Jonah obeyed the word of the Lord and went to Nineveh. Now Nineveh was a very large city; it took three days to go through it. 4 Jonah began by going a day’s journey into the city, proclaiming,“Forty more days and Nineveh will be overthrown.” 5 The Ninevites believed God. A fast was proclaimed, and all of them, from the greatest to the least, put on sackcloth.
Matthew 12:41 ASV
The men of Nineveh shall stand up in the judgment with this generation, and shall condemn it: for they repented at the preaching of Jonah; and behold, a greater than Jonah is here
Not sure if this answers your question...I believe he prophesied their destruction based on God's instructions. They repented. Repented is the key.....Inwhich case ,since that was what God wanted to accomplish , their repentance,they were forgiven.
Had they not repented , they would have been destroyed.
The whole point being, that,whether he was sent as a prophet or a messenger , Jonah did not get it wrong.
That is the nonsense and misleading information that unbelievers post ,
It is not the first time nor will it be the last,
I know the scripture very well..Jonah and the whale was read to me before I could even read it for myself. I have been a Christian since I was eight. I hope that was not some sort of dig in your last sentence. Matter of fact Jonah was a known prophet. The discussion was if Jonah was a true prophet or not because Nineveh did not fall. It does not say why he was running from God in this instance. God has always gave warning before destruction. Noah,, Lot's family, the Passover, The Pharaoh of Egypt. etc. God always gave the people a chance to repent and change their ways. it was nothing new that God could change His mind. Just as it is today. We have been amply warned of the destruction of the world by fire but few have heeded the warning..In reality God is the prophet but sent out messengers to declare it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lexington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
2004 bookstore (Nov '09) 1 hr Lucinda Marie 5,892
burger queen in Pimlico Dr 2 hr ken 1
Restaurants open on Christmas Day ? (Dec '12) 2 hr Eaglemax 23
What is open on christmas day 3 hr Help 1
Limited in The Mall 4 hr huh 2
best boob surgeon? 5 hr taxman 8
Heroin Overdoses in Lexington 5 hr barrack 15
Lexington Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web