Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Courier-Journal

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Comments
114,721 - 114,740 of 130,316 Comments Last updated 43 min ago

Since: Sep 13

United States of America

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 1, 2014

Judged:

Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>Gravity is NOT a Theory...
It is a Law!
The Theory is "How" Gravity works!
Evilution is not a law... it is only a Guess, a thought, Conjecture....
You can only "Believe" it's real... you have no proof it is!
No dog ever turned into a cat, only an uglier dog!
No microbe has ever grew legs, and went to college... ever!
The word theory, in the context of science, does not imply uncertainty. It means "a coherent group of general propositions used as principles of explanation for a class of phenomena" (Barnhart 1948). In the case of the theory of evolution, the following are some of the phenomena involved. All are facts:
Life appeared on earth more than two billion years ago;
Life forms have changed and diversified over life's history;
Species are related via common descent from one or a few common ancestors;
Natural selection is a significant factor affecting how species change.
Many other facts are explained by the theory of evolution as well.
2. The theory of evolution has proved itself in practice. It has useful applications in epidemiology, pest control, drug discovery, and other areas (Bull and Wichman 2001; Eisen and Wu 2002; Searls 2003).
3. Besides the theory, there is the fact of evolution, the observation that life has changed greatly over time. The fact of evolution was recognized even before Darwin's theory. The theory of evolution explains the fact.
4. If "only a theory" were a real objection, creationists would also be issuing disclaimers complaining about the theory of gravity, atomic theory, the germ theory of disease, and the theory of limits (on which calculus is based). The theory of evolution is no less valid than any of these. Even the theory of gravity still receives serious challenges (Milgrom 2002). Yet the phenomenon of gravity, like evolution, is still a fact.
5. Creationism is neither theory nor fact; it is, at best, only an opinion. Since it explains nothing, it is scientifically useless
<><><>< ><><> References: <><><>< ><>

1. Barnhart, Clarence L., ed. 1948. The American College Dictionary, New York: Random House.
2. Bull, J. J. and H. A. Wichman. 2001. Applied evolution. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 32: 183-217.
3. Eisen, J. A. and M. Wu. 2002. Phylogenetic analysis and gene functional predictions: Phylogenomics in action. Theoretical Population Biology 61: 481-487.
4. Milgrom, Mordehai. 2002. Does dark matter really exist? Scientific American 287(2)(Aug.): 42-52.
5. Searls, D. 2003. Pharmacophylogenomics: Genes, evolution and drug targets. Nature Reviews Drug Discovery 2: 613-623

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 1, 2014

Judged:

Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>I'll state it this way, as there are many that state they are Christian, and do not follow Christ's teachings...
Are there some "Christians" in these groups? Possibly!
First thing is to understand the Godhead...
If you do not have God, Jesus, or the Holy Spirit right (and many don't)
yer just barking up the wrong tree!
J C Ryle has a list of 6 doctrines for a true Christian.
So this Ryle guy is to be the judge of what a true Christian is? To bad your holy book could not articulate what a true Christian is.
I mean the creator of the universe puts out a book and it fails to mention what is a true Christian. How haphazard of him.
It has been the cause of a few holy wars, and a lot of division among family and friends. Not as if the god could have predicted such a predicament.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 1, 2014

Judged:

Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>Wrong again... Harold made more that two predictions... and yes... he got them all wrong!
If he'd read his Bible, he'd know that no one knows the date, and time, but God alone!
I am not giving you a date, or time!
I am saying it IS the season for His return.... we only have to read the Bible to see
these things written long ago are lining up...
Just as it was written!
I praise God for His Mercy, and Grace!
Yet for years, you have been claiming here that the end will come in a "few short years". Do you know the definition of "few" or "years"? Your prediction has already been proved wrong pal. Now you are backtracking like Harold.

Since: Sep 13

United States of America

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 1, 2014

Judged:

Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>Here's a bigger stat... We are all sinners, and 100% of prison populations are made up of them/us!
Go figure!
Is it too much to ask you to stay focused on the subject and stop the preaching for just one second?

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 1, 2014

Judged:

Curious wrote:
<quoted text>
There you go again ,more smokescreens .I made a claim based on my beliefs . I gave the reasons for my beliefs and I never claimed they were facts , nor do I need to provide any ,as you well know.
I have never insisted that you believe as I do , that is another smokescreen.
Since you don't believe it was God , then you must believe it was something else.
What that" something else " may be , is precisely what you will not divulge
What are these logical hypothesis of which you make mention , but refuse to identify?
As you said , Hitchens is not a scientist.
But it was Hitchens ,who claimed in his book on page 70 , that God was not needed in order for the Universe to be created.
When challenged on that point, if God was not needed, how did the universe come into being , by nothing from nothing, he denied having made such a statement. A copy of his book was brought out and on page 70 it was proven that he so stated..
Now that he was cornered , he could only state that it was not God ,but that he was not qualified to state what caused the Big Bang.
Well , if one is not qualified , then on what basis can one claim to be qualified to state it was not God , for which he had no answer. Much like the Atheists on this website.
In my view ,Hitchens was a God hating Atheist , who like others on this website , accuse the God they do not believe in of being a dictator ,immoral , capricious etal.
That says a lot about his mental condition and that of those who believe as he does.
Did I ever claim how the universe was created? Nope. Then by the standard you set for yourself, I need not give anything to you for my reasons, or evidence.
Atheism is not a belief in how the universe was created.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 1, 2014

Judged:

SistaNoneYa wrote:
<quoted text>
New Years resolution for you-
You will try to stop projecting your OWN stupidity onto others.
That ought to keep you infinitly busy!!
Another empty response.

How does it feel to have to pretend half of your holy book doesn't exist?

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 1, 2014

Judged:

SevenT wrote:
<quoted text>
Throughout history Christians have been persecuted all over the world. It continues today
In 2013 you go into a muslim country like Syria or Saudi Arabia and preach the gospel you will be thrown into prison.
In 2013 it is illegal to be a Christian in North Korea or China.
These are undeniable facts. Yes in the US we are safe because we have freedom of religion.
Nothing in the bible is consistent with freedom of religion.
We have freedom of religion in America, in spite of the bibles writings, and in spite of Christianity.
The bible prophesies of the day when Jesus will return and end religious freedom......with the sword.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 1, 2014

Judged:

SevenT wrote:
<quoted text>
Psalm 14:1
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
And this is probably why Christians hate non believers and war with them.
If the bible were of a god, a moral god, why would such a hateful claim be in his holy book?
It is the stuff, intolerance is built upon.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 1, 2014

Judged:

SevenT wrote:
<quoted text>
Nice try, and athiest has no foundation belief system therefore they are amoral.
An atheist often (probably too stupid to even know) adopt society morals which are in fact Judeo Christian morals.
You see the irony an atheist claims to be moral but the standard of morals are the Biblical Judeo Christian morals.
Pretty funny stuff if you ask me
The atheist refuses to have a standard so they adopt a Biblical standard of morality.
Still waiting to hear what morals are Judeo Christian?

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 1, 2014

Judged:

SistaNoneYa wrote:
<quoted text>
Absolutely not.
Jihadism IS based upon tenets of extreme religion-of PSYCHOPATHS.
Christianity and Islam was built upon the tenets of Judaism.
Moses was a psychopath and the tenents he put forth are the foundation of Jihad.
You, know, the tenents like Deuteronomy 13. It is textbook Jihad.
spaceship

Roseville, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 1, 2014

Judged:

SevenT wrote:
<quoted text>Nice try, and athiest has no foundation belief system therefore they are amoral.

The atheist refuses to have a standard so they adopt a Biblical standard of morality.
Seven T would like to see a slave class and eliminate minumin wage laws so he can pay only a dollar per hour for labor. I see he adopted the biblical standards of morality.
Curious

Ocoee, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 1, 2014

Judged:

Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
If I'm guilty of side-stepping anything, it's your assertion that the origin of the cosmos/universe/multiverse is limited to one of two possibilities dictated by you.
Well , I have presented what I believe are the 2 possibilities that I deem to be possible.
You , lodi and Dukett have the opportunity to present whatever other alternatives you believe to be viable. In no way are you limited to the 2 possibilities that I have described.
So ,go ahead and do so. What's holding you up?
Stop providing excuses and start providing reasons for your beliefs.
A belief is not worth having ,if one is unwilling and unable to defend it.
If you claim that you don't know the origins of the Universe and life , then, it is irrational to claim that you know that God is not the responsible agent.
State your case ,or, forever hold your peace..........
Curious

Ocoee, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 1, 2014

Judged:

Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Did I ever claim how the universe was created? Nope. Then by the standard you set for yourself, I need not give anything to you for my reasons, or evidence.
Atheism is not a belief in how the universe was created.
No , you haven't claimed how life or the Universe were created.
What you believe is, that God is not the creating agent,that there is no ID.
On the other hand , you are quite unable to explain how these events might have occured by natural means,therefore your refusal to address the issue by claiming that you do not have to do so. That is a lame excuse.
The answer to the problem ,is not that you don't have to do so, the answer is the fact that you are unable to do so.
There is a huge difference between not having to do something ,as opposed to the inability to do something....Let us not get the 2 confused
Curious

Ocoee, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 1, 2014

Judged:

Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Christianity and Islam was built upon the tenets of Judaism.
Moses was a psychopath and the tenents he put forth are the foundation of Jihad.
You, know, the tenents like Deuteronomy 13. It is textbook Jihad.
Dukett ,correct me if I am wrong.
Have you not stated that Moses is a mythical character ,that there is no evidence that he ever existed . therefore ,how can you claim that someone whom you believe never existed is a psychopath.
I do believe that points to mental debilitation on your part .
You claim not to believe in God ,yet accuse HIM of being a tyrant blablahblah.
Madelyn O'hairs genes must flow threw your veins , she also claimed not to believe in God,but was constantly cursing His name , that, according to her son.
Hitchens was also challenged on the same issues.
Seems Atheists have some detrimental mental issues that they refuse to admit to.
Anyhow , that is according to Stan Rosch , one of your fellow Atheists

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 1, 2014

Judged:

Curious wrote:
<quoted text>
No , you haven't claimed how life or the Universe were created.
What you believe is, that God is not the creating agent,that there is no ID.
On the other hand , you are quite unable to explain how these events might have occured by natural means,therefore your refusal to address the issue by claiming that you do not have to do so. That is a lame excuse.
The answer to the problem ,is not that you don't have to do so, the answer is the fact that you are unable to do so.
There is a huge difference between not having to do something ,as opposed to the inability to do something....Let us not get the 2 confused
Just as you are unable to tell us how your god created the universe, or even came to be.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 1, 2014

Judged:

Curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you not stated that Moses is a mythical character ,that there is no evidence that he ever existed . therefore ,how can you claim that someone whom you believe never existed is a psychopath.
Hannibal Lecter is a psychopath. He is also a fictional character. What's the issue?

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 1, 2014

Judged:

The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
It's an infinitely more reasonable answer than "resurrection".
Or maybe he was carried out. Or maybe the entire story of him not being where it was said he was, is entirely made up. All more reasonable answers than resurrection.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 1, 2014

Judged:

Curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Dukett ,correct me if I am wrong.
I do believe that points to mental debilitation on your part .
You claim not to believe in God ,yet accuse HIM of being a tyrant blablahblah.
Madelyn O'hairs genes must flow threw your veins , she also claimed not to believe in God,but was constantly cursing His name , that, according to her son.
Hitchens was also challenged on the same issues.
Seems Atheists have some detrimental mental issues that they refuse to admit to.
Anyhow , that is according to Stan Rotsch , one of your fellow Atheists
Nope, not what I said at all. It is possible the Moses is a complete fabrication, but more likely it has a few grains of truth as all myths do.
The description of Moses paints the picture of a psychopath, yearning for absolute power.
I put this Moses alongside the likes of Hitler, Genghis Khan and Saddam Hussein.

As I say with the god debate, it matters not if he is real, it matters that people believe in him and do wrong due the beliefs. How many times must I explain this simple concept?

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 1, 2014

Judged:

SistaNoneYa wrote:
<quoted text>
Moses (the mortal General of the era) shortened and simplified the pre-exisitng ones, so DUHMMIEs could have an easier easier time comprehending.
Kind of like the Virginia Declaration of rights's influence over TJ when writing the Declarration of Independence.
And just because there's mention of no bread or water-doesn't mean there wasn't, or no berries or goat milk either.
Do you believe everything you're "told"?
Even Curious mustered up the moral will to admit a wrong. Can you do it?

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 1, 2014

Judged:

SevenT wrote:
<quoted text>
I will bet you a large percentage were at the very bottom of the socio-economic ladder when they were arrested, convicted and thrown in prison and found Jesus while in Prison. Prison Ministry is one of the most amazing untold success stories in the American Penal System and all of Christianity. And those that do truly repent they are least likely to find their way back in prison. The transforming power of Christ is something only believers can understand.
Thank you for your post
What you bet and what is the reality are two quite different things.

Until you can provide evidence to support your assertion it remains unfounded and requires no evidence from me to dismiss it.

However, perhaps you should bear in mind that the population of the USA is still predominantly Christian. I've no idea what the ratio of Christian to Atheist is but if you take a cross section of any group of Americans (homeowners, people in work, car owners, prisoners, etc), it will be Christians that make up the majority.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Lexington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Grimes a Criminal just like Dad 22 min Frank 11
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 1 hr UidiotRaceMakeWor... 150,268
Ian Sethi (Feb '14) 3 hr contessa 3
Chris Harrison EX-UK Basketball player homeless... (Nov '13) 3 hr Zarko 73
pregnant by someone other than my husband 4 hr curious 18
2004 bookstore (Nov '09) 4 hr jrbbc 5,524
Paul vs Conway: The Nastiest Debate Of 2010 | T... (Oct '10) 5 hr well 16,127

Search the Lexington Forum:
•••
•••
•••

Lexington Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000