Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 Full story: The Courier-Journal 133,317

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Full Story
Curious

Ocoee, FL

#120302 Jan 1, 2014
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Did I ever claim how the universe was created? Nope. Then by the standard you set for yourself, I need not give anything to you for my reasons, or evidence.
Atheism is not a belief in how the universe was created.
No , you haven't claimed how life or the Universe were created.
What you believe is, that God is not the creating agent,that there is no ID.
On the other hand , you are quite unable to explain how these events might have occured by natural means,therefore your refusal to address the issue by claiming that you do not have to do so. That is a lame excuse.
The answer to the problem ,is not that you don't have to do so, the answer is the fact that you are unable to do so.
There is a huge difference between not having to do something ,as opposed to the inability to do something....Let us not get the 2 confused
Curious

Ocoee, FL

#120303 Jan 1, 2014
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Christianity and Islam was built upon the tenets of Judaism.
Moses was a psychopath and the tenents he put forth are the foundation of Jihad.
You, know, the tenents like Deuteronomy 13. It is textbook Jihad.
Dukett ,correct me if I am wrong.
Have you not stated that Moses is a mythical character ,that there is no evidence that he ever existed . therefore ,how can you claim that someone whom you believe never existed is a psychopath.
I do believe that points to mental debilitation on your part .
You claim not to believe in God ,yet accuse HIM of being a tyrant blablahblah.
Madelyn O'hairs genes must flow threw your veins , she also claimed not to believe in God,but was constantly cursing His name , that, according to her son.
Hitchens was also challenged on the same issues.
Seems Atheists have some detrimental mental issues that they refuse to admit to.
Anyhow , that is according to Stan Rosch , one of your fellow Atheists

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#120304 Jan 1, 2014
Curious wrote:
<quoted text>
No , you haven't claimed how life or the Universe were created.
What you believe is, that God is not the creating agent,that there is no ID.
On the other hand , you are quite unable to explain how these events might have occured by natural means,therefore your refusal to address the issue by claiming that you do not have to do so. That is a lame excuse.
The answer to the problem ,is not that you don't have to do so, the answer is the fact that you are unable to do so.
There is a huge difference between not having to do something ,as opposed to the inability to do something....Let us not get the 2 confused
Just as you are unable to tell us how your god created the universe, or even came to be.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#120305 Jan 1, 2014
Curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you not stated that Moses is a mythical character ,that there is no evidence that he ever existed . therefore ,how can you claim that someone whom you believe never existed is a psychopath.
Hannibal Lecter is a psychopath. He is also a fictional character. What's the issue?

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#120306 Jan 1, 2014
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
It's an infinitely more reasonable answer than "resurrection".
Or maybe he was carried out. Or maybe the entire story of him not being where it was said he was, is entirely made up. All more reasonable answers than resurrection.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#120307 Jan 1, 2014
Curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Dukett ,correct me if I am wrong.
I do believe that points to mental debilitation on your part .
You claim not to believe in God ,yet accuse HIM of being a tyrant blablahblah.
Madelyn O'hairs genes must flow threw your veins , she also claimed not to believe in God,but was constantly cursing His name , that, according to her son.
Hitchens was also challenged on the same issues.
Seems Atheists have some detrimental mental issues that they refuse to admit to.
Anyhow , that is according to Stan Rotsch , one of your fellow Atheists
Nope, not what I said at all. It is possible the Moses is a complete fabrication, but more likely it has a few grains of truth as all myths do.
The description of Moses paints the picture of a psychopath, yearning for absolute power.
I put this Moses alongside the likes of Hitler, Genghis Khan and Saddam Hussein.

As I say with the god debate, it matters not if he is real, it matters that people believe in him and do wrong due the beliefs. How many times must I explain this simple concept?

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#120308 Jan 1, 2014
SistaNoneYa wrote:
<quoted text>
Moses (the mortal General of the era) shortened and simplified the pre-exisitng ones, so DUHMMIEs could have an easier easier time comprehending.
Kind of like the Virginia Declaration of rights's influence over TJ when writing the Declarration of Independence.
And just because there's mention of no bread or water-doesn't mean there wasn't, or no berries or goat milk either.
Do you believe everything you're "told"?
Even Curious mustered up the moral will to admit a wrong. Can you do it?

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

#120309 Jan 1, 2014
SevenT wrote:
<quoted text>
I will bet you a large percentage were at the very bottom of the socio-economic ladder when they were arrested, convicted and thrown in prison and found Jesus while in Prison. Prison Ministry is one of the most amazing untold success stories in the American Penal System and all of Christianity. And those that do truly repent they are least likely to find their way back in prison. The transforming power of Christ is something only believers can understand.
Thank you for your post
What you bet and what is the reality are two quite different things.

Until you can provide evidence to support your assertion it remains unfounded and requires no evidence from me to dismiss it.

However, perhaps you should bear in mind that the population of the USA is still predominantly Christian. I've no idea what the ratio of Christian to Atheist is but if you take a cross section of any group of Americans (homeowners, people in work, car owners, prisoners, etc), it will be Christians that make up the majority.

Nottingham, UK

#120310 Jan 1, 2014
stuck in a lodi wrote:
<quoted text>
You do realize that Christians outnumber atheist or non believers don't you? So your first sentence is without merit! Here is that percentage you speak of........78% of the people in the U.S. consider themselves Christian or 'believers' while approx. 16% consider themselves non believers. The rest of your post has about as much weight as your first sentence.
Thank you for your inaccurate opinion!
Ah, I just said something similar but you beat me to it!

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#120311 Jan 1, 2014
Curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Well , it is true. You have posted that same excuse on numerous occassions , I didn't buy it then and i'm not buying it now.
And I'll tell you why.
You have been posting the same nonsensicam arguments long before I got here , probably right after this thread opened up.
What have you accomplished ? Nothing , by your own admission , you do not believe that you have deconverted anyone , therefore ,it is highly unlikely that you have changed anyone's mind , regarding their stance on whether Bible studies should be permitted in public Schools in Kentucky.
Of those who post on this thread , which are few in numbers , many don't even live in Kentucky.
So , why do you keep on posting? What are you accomplishing?
By any standard ,you have failed in your objectives , not only you,but also the other Atheists who post here.
You waste a large part of each day in accomplishing nothing. That makes no sense.
I believe there is another motive , which I have not hesitated to express in the past and which I expressesd in the post to which you responded.
Deep down in their subconsciousness, many Atheists have serious doubts about their unbelief.
That would explain why many attend religious services on a regular basis , that would explain why 10% of Atheists claim to believe in a God , 8% believe in a heaven and why Atheists are organizing churches based on Christian tradition.
You can deny it , in the same manner that Atheists deny the problem of Suicide and depression that afflicts their community ,Nevertheless , denial of the facts does not invalidate the truth contained therein.
So you compute the reasons I give for debating god, yet you still insist their are no other reasons possible?
First, you factored in some false information, which I have corrected you on several times, yet you do not compute. I never claimed, I converted no one. I claimed, I do not know if I converted anyone. So my efforts are UNKNOWN. I guess I have to capitalize for you to comprehend.
So the basis for your conclusions are on a foundation of lies built in your delusional mind.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#120312 Jan 1, 2014
Should have said, the RESULTS of my efforts are unknown.

Nottingham, UK

#120313 Jan 1, 2014
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Nice to see.
That deserves a happy New Years.
He apologised to me once when he admitted he was wrong about Freud being committed to an asylum.

He gets kudos for that.

Nottingham, UK

#120314 Jan 1, 2014
SevenT wrote:
<quoted text>
You do realize you are judging this Geldof fellow by Judeo Christian standards of right and wrong and good and bad.
Just answer the question please.

Or is this going to be yet another question that you run away from?
tim

Murphysboro, IL

#120315 Jan 1, 2014
The problem with faith based teaching is it requires a student to believe in something that can not be proven. If parents are concerned about there kinds morals and religious beliefs they should assure that its done privately in the home or church. This of course should not apply to or restrict parents from sending there kids to private schools that do (provided of course these schools are not state or federally funded).

Nottingham, UK

#120316 Jan 1, 2014
SevenT wrote:
<quoted text>
God is Holy we are not going to understand all of God's thoughts and actions.
But you can thank God for your life
I get it. When it suits you, you understand your god all-too-well and when it's not so good that understanding evaporates.

Like how you guys always say that your god loves us and how he is all-knowing and all powerful. "God is good" is often parroted by Christians and their eyes proceed to glaze over.

Yet when disasters and calamities occur with great loss of life, it appears that your god is not being so good.

However, rather than say that your god did something bad, the sureness of what was said earlier no longer exists and Christians mumble something like "God must have his reasons".

It's pigeon chess and totally devoid of logic and reason

Lots of things are considered holy by different people all over the world. Your god certainly doesn't have a monopoly on "holy".

Unless you actually mean "holey" as in full of holes. which of course would definitely apply to much of the logic in the Bible.

Since: Sep 13

United States of America

#120317 Jan 1, 2014
tim wrote:
The problem with faith based teaching is it requires a student to believe in something that can not be proven. If parents are concerned about there kinds morals and religious beliefs they should assure that its done privately in the home or church. This of course should not apply to or restrict parents from sending there kids to private schools that do (provided of course these schools are not state or federally funded).
Well said friend!
It's always a welcomed sight to see someone articulate their thoughts and comments without injecting ridicule, insults and dissension among those who do not agree with them.

Nottingham, UK

#120318 Jan 1, 2014
SevenT wrote:
<quoted text>
Gravity is a Law, Thermodynamics is a Law they have been proven as scientific Laws through repeatable scientific experiment
A theory is unproven. In the case of Evolution they are not even close to proving. It is more a cultic belief system.
Wrong. Gravity is not a law.

There is Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation which holds in many situations but is far from being absolute.

A law provides us with a formula for making calculations but it doesn't explain why something happens - that's what theories do.

Evolution isn't perfect - no theory is. However, it represents the best scientific explanation we have.

Nottingham, UK

#120319 Jan 1, 2014
SevenT wrote:
<quoted text>
The quran was written 6-700 years after Christ. You could make a list a mile long of the historical errors. They deny Jesus Christ and call for murder of Jews and Christians. They teach murder and war as a way to get to heaven. In short there is NOTHING remotely similar to Christianity and Judism. Even an atheist should know this
Why so touchy about who the Quran calls for murder?

The Bible calls anyone who follows another religion for murder.

There's nothing remotely similar to Christianity and Judaism?

OK - I understand.
Curious

Ocoee, FL

#120320 Jan 1, 2014
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>So you compute the reasons I give for debating god, yet you still insist their are no other reasons possible?
First, you factored in some false information, which I have corrected you on several times, yet you do not compute. I never claimed, I converted no one. I claimed, I do not know if I converted anyone. So my efforts are UNKNOWN. I guess I have to capitalize for you to comprehend.
So the basis for your conclusions are on a foundation of lies built in your delusional mind.
Naaah , I don't thiink so , the basis for my conclusions are not on a foundation of lies and a delusional mind.
You are using that a smokescreen , as you often do , in an attempt to hide your failures.
If after all the time,effort and years that you have spent posting your views in attempting
to deconvert unsuspecting victims , the best that you can claim for your fruitless efforts is that ,you don't know if you have succeeded in deconverting anyone, certainly appears that you have wasted agreat deal of your time, with no visible results for ALL your efforts.
If you were the CEO of a company and gave such an abysmal report to the shareholders
they'd fire you as soon as they hired you.
Then you'd look for a reason to blame God or Moses.
Curious

Ocoee, FL

#120321 Jan 1, 2014
stuck in a lodi wrote:
<quoted text>
Well said friend!
It's always a welcomed sight to see someone articulate their thoughts and comments without injecting ridicule, insults and dissension among those who do not agree with them.
Then , you should stop that practice yourself , that way you would not receive thre same type of reply.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lexington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Farrah Shelton 21 min chevy09 32
Kally with the huge mole 1 hr Bahahaha 3
Murder on Lamont Dr. off Clays Mill Donaghy 1 hr theory 30
Bella from Backpage 1 hr Roku 7
savannah? i cant open my last post 2 hr old friend 1
I squirt (Apr '13) 3 hr The Dude 19
apts 3 hr The Dude 2
Lexington Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web