rental prices in Lexington

rental prices in Lexington

Posted in the Lexington Forum

absolutely ridiculous

Louisville, KY

#1 Nov 15, 2012
I have been trying to find a rental home in Lexington Ky and I'm in shock at the prices they want for rentals. I prefer a house. Everything I've seen is anywhere from $800 to $1200 and higher. I called about a home in McConnells Trace. They wanted $1349 for a three BR, two bath, one car garage. For two car garage it was $1399. I've come to the conclusion that I'm going to have to stay out of Lexington because of the high prices. Even the apartment complexes are high and you have to listen to everyone elses noise in them. People like me (retired and single with only one income) can't afford to live here. I think with people losing their homes in this economy, the landlords are just plain greedy.
well

Lexington, KY

#2 Nov 15, 2012
because soo may ppl have lost their homes, the demand for rentals is increased which increased the price.

However, Lexington rental market was about as high 10 years ago when I was in college Paid 500.00 -600.00 for a 1 bedroom apt with no utlities. 450.00 for a studio with no utlities included.
the main mane

Tucker, GA

#3 Nov 15, 2012
That's the rental market for ya!
IfYouCan

Lexington, KY

#4 Nov 15, 2012
If you can hold out a bit longer as things get worse we could see something else happen. When nobody can afford anything, those fortunate enough to hold on to their property may face a situation where they have to pay people to move in just to protect their property. That is when you know the situation is very bad.
Seriously

Louisville, KY

#5 Nov 15, 2012
You want a $200,000 house in a nice neighborhood for $600 a month. Wait around maybe Omama will give you one. Ifyoucan is a idiot, no business person in their right mind is going to pay someone to live in a rental.
AlsoSerious

Mount Washington, KY

#6 Nov 15, 2012
Seriously wrote:
You want a $200,000 house in a nice neighborhood for $600 a month. Wait around maybe Omama will give you one. Ifyoucan is a idiot, no business person in their right mind is going to pay someone to live in a rental.
You're right. The original poster is ignorant and hilarious. First and foremost, Lexington is fairly cheap compared to many markets around the nation. I think Lexington actually ranks average for these prices, but that average includes the insanely high prices of Manhattan and the insanely low prices of Podunk, KY where no one wants to be. Within the realm of civilization, Lex is definitely on the cheap side. If you can't afford Lexington, you should really consider finding more gainful employment...like at least something in the food services industry.
Landlord

Lexington, KY

#7 Nov 16, 2012
AlsoSerious wrote:
<quoted text>
You're right. The original poster is ignorant and hilarious. First and foremost, Lexington is fairly cheap compared to many markets around the nation. I think Lexington actually ranks average for these prices, but that average includes the insanely high prices of Manhattan and the insanely low prices of Podunk, KY where no one wants to be. Within the realm of civilization, Lex is definitely on the cheap side. If you can't afford Lexington, you should really consider finding more gainful employment...like at least something in the food services industry.
Do you understand wages currently? You do realize that everyone in the world can't have a professional, high paying job? You do understand there is a whole segment of society that makes your food, cleans your houses, watches your kids, picks up your trash, and everything else that another upper echelon segment of society won't do? Have you ever tried to pay rent in this area on one of those wages?
You are the idiot for not being able to understand the plight of other people.

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#8 Nov 16, 2012
Im just Commenting for nothing...Guess why.
No No No
just random talking so ignore this...
No guys, it goes likeeee this &#20320;&#22909;&# 65281;counting...&#19968; &#20108; &#19977;&#22235;&# 21147;&#20843; &#21313;
&#65306;&#65295;
Bleh Blah
AlsoSerious

Mount Washington, KY

#9 Nov 16, 2012
Landlord wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you understand wages currently? You do realize that everyone in the world can't have a professional, high paying job? You do understand there is a whole segment of society that makes your food, cleans your houses, watches your kids, picks up your trash, and everything else that another upper echelon segment of society won't do? Have you ever tried to pay rent in this area on one of those wages?
You are the idiot for not being able to understand the plight of other people.
I assure you I do understand such things...better than you might even imagine. I lived that way for many, many years and most of my struggles were my own fault even though I wanted to fault others. While I remained a wage w hore, working-to-survive and surviving-to-work, I was miserable. I made sacrifices and many others do as well...and even then life wasn't perfect because I started getting hit with all kinds of insane taxes designed to help the people who didn't make the same self-improvement decisions I made.

Regardless, I stand by my words that Lexington is VERY much on the cheap-end of places to live. If you can't make it here, you are doing something wrong in life and you should look at that. I'm not doing as well as I should be or could be, so I'm also taking a hard look at my place in life and trying to make decisions to improve myself. It's tough, I'll admit. Life is tough. Quit whining because ultimately, the world doesn't care and doesn't want to hear it. If you or I want a better life, we have to struggle for it and claim it as our own.

There are simply too many opportunities in America, even with a low economy, to be "stuck" in a low-end McJob. Don't have the education? Get one. Can't afford rent? Get a roomie or movie. Can't get that big screen tv? Get another job? I'm working maybe 70 hours per week (maybe more) to have what I have and, as I mentioned above, it ain't easy -- but if I don't do this, who will do it for me?

Instead of focusing on what we don't want, we should focus and work towards what we want to have happen. It's tough to remember this, but it is empowering.

If not taking care of yourself directly, what would you propose?

- Forcing higher wages (therefore forcing your employer to take care of you)
- Forcing lower rent (therefore forcing your landlord to take care of you)
- Forcing greater public assistance (therefore forcing the public to take care of you)
- Forcing you to work on yourself, your skills, and your education (forcing yourself to take care of yourself)

hmmmm
Landlord

Lexington, KY

#10 Nov 18, 2012
First of all I wasn't whining. I was not the original poster I just ran across the topic and decided to opine.

I understand your point that there are ways to improve your life if you are motivated to do so. If you are telling the truth and if you believe that I'm telling the truth, then we have a lot in common because I also work anywhere from 50-60 hours a week to enjoy a lifestyle that I am comfortable with.

My point if you can try to comprehend someone else's perspective on things is that while I commend you on your hard work to improve your own standard of living not everyone is in the same boat as you.

It is degrading and demeaning to even refer to someone's occupation as a Mcjob. These are positions that have to be filled just like the higher paying ones. While it is very possible for you to work your way out of what you call a "mcjob" that position still has to be refilled by another person.

If you spent less time patting yourself on the back for your hardwork, and more time researching facts not your own personal feelings, you would realize that while cost of living has skyrocketed over the last decades wages have been incredibly stagnant for the lower class.

From what I can surmise you are no more than a classic oligarch. While the term may sound funny you argument makes me think you dream of a plutocracy. We have minimum wages so that the ruling or upper class is forced to pay the lower class a decent living wage.

My view and what I tryed to state was that the balance has shifted to far in favor of landlords or you could say business owners. A bump in pay for minimum wage workers would not be a bad thing even for the upper class that you argue for. A good portion of the increase in pay would benefit the economy by increasing the flow of money within our consumer driven system.

Anyways I could go on forever I'm sure you didn't read this whole thing anyways.

absolutely ridiculous

Louisville, KY

#11 Nov 24, 2012
I am the original poster. I was making an observation on the rental prices in Lexington. I worked for a Fortune 500 company for 38 years. I've never drawn unemployment or been on the government dole. I am now retired. I did not say I could not afford the prices. I just won't pay the inflated prices. I WILL go somewhere else. No, I don't expect to get a $200,000 house for $600/mo.$900 would be nice and reasonable. Also, there is nothing wrong with a so called "McJob". Any work is honorable and needed. And Podunk (wherever you consider that to be), I'm thinking might be good. No traffic, no rude people.

Since: Nov 12

Pickerington, OH

#12 Nov 24, 2012
I've worked in the rental industry for several years and the rent will only go up year after year..dont expect them to go down anytime soon at all. Cities like Nicholasville and Versailles are much cheaper to rent in..problem is that you wont find nearly as much in those cities.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lexington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What does trump mean for you ? 5 min Paul 19
Swingers clubs in Kentucky, Louisville area (May '14) 9 min dong 139
They got it "Trump was Wiretapped" 31 min Deplorable 24
No panties allowed today 1 hr a man 2
Mary Jo Perino 1 hr manly 18
lex 18 big news story!!! 1 hr UPC 4
Add a word, Drop a word "Dirty" version 1 hr SweLL GirL 267

Lexington Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance