New to the area. Jobs?
New guy

Henderson, KY

#1 Jan 16, 2013
Im new to the area, but dont really know anyone here. No restrictions for work (not a felon, not on drugs, own my own car, ect) Pretty good work history in the, but not limited to, construction type line. Im up for anything that pays somewhat good. Any suggestions of places to go/apply for? All the help you can give is very well appreciated. Thanks.
NotALotGoingOnHe re

United States

#2 Jan 17, 2013
Welcome to the area "new guy." I wish I had some promising job information for you, but as I type this, I am job searching myself. I have been looking for steady employment (not temporary employment) for almost 3 months. It can be really discouraging to know that you have to constantly resort back to temp agencies, that don't guarantee your job from day-to-day, hardly pay above minimum wage, and offer so-called "insurance' that is extremely limited in what it covers that it should be illegal to offer for the cost of it.

It seems 90% of jobs these days, you have to apply online. I would suggest searching for the job you're looking for on Google or Yahoo (make sure after you put in the job, you put Lexington, Ky or whatever town you're looking for.) This usually turns up multiple job sites with listings, and sometimes the listings are different on each site. You could also search for construction specific job sites. Sometimes looking for a job site dedicated to your specific field can be a good starting point.

You can also try Craigslist. However, sometimes you have to be VERY careful when applying to jobs posted because a lot of them are spam. Once they get your e-mail address, and phone number, you'll atart receiving boat loads of junk mail, and unsolicited calls. The best postings to apply to, is if they have their company name, and or phone number so that you can verify if the posting is legit.

You can also try looking up jobs with the state of Kentucky. They have a website at http://personnel.ky.gov/employment/ that might be worth your time checking out. You can also setup an email notification for jobs you are looking for specifically.

I wish I knew of specific places that are currently hiring, but I don't. I do know that Amazon.com will be opening their new call center building in Winchester later on in the summer to early fall, and that Lexington will be getting a Costco come late summer, but that is of no help to us now. I wish you the best of luck in your job search.
hey

United States

#3 Jan 17, 2013
NotALotGoingOnHere wrote:
Welcome to the area "new guy." I wish I had some promising job information for you, but as I type this, I am job searching myself. I have been looking for steady employment (not temporary employment) for almost 3 months. It can be really discouraging to know that you have to constantly resort back to temp agencies, that don't guarantee your job from day-to-day, hardly pay above minimum wage, and offer so-called "insurance' that is extremely limited in what it covers that it should be illegal to offer for the cost of it.

It seems 90% of jobs these days, you have to apply online. I would suggest searching for the job you're looking for on Google or Yahoo (make sure after you put in the job, you put Lexington, Ky or whatever town you're looking for.) This usually turns up multiple job sites with listings, and sometimes the listings are different on each site. You could also search for construction specific job sites. Sometimes looking for a job site dedicated to your specific field can be a good starting point.

You can also try Craigslist. However, sometimes you have to be VERY careful when applying to jobs posted because a lot of them are spam. Once they get your e-mail address, and phone number, you'll atart receiving boat loads of junk mail, and unsolicited calls. The best postings to apply to, is if they have their company name, and or phone number so that you can verify if the posting is legit.

You can also try looking up jobs with the state of Kentucky. They have a website at http://personnel.ky.gov/employment/ that might be worth your time checking out. You can also setup an email notification for jobs you are looking for specifically.

I wish I knew of specific places that are currently hiring, but I don't. I do know that Amazon.com will be opening their new call center building in Winchester later on in the summer to early fall, and that Lexington will be getting a Costco come late summer, but that is of no help to us now. I wish you the best of luck in your job search.
Go up mcd or something! Wal Mart! Geez u bums. They are hiring everyday. I get tired of hearing people say they are looking just bc there are places hiring but they don't wanna work there. If u are unemployed then it doesn't matter what u want. Take what u can get for now and still look for something better if u want while u are working instead of sitting ur butts at home. If I was unemployed I'd do whatever I had do to. Too many lazy people these days. U dont just sit at home til u find a job u think u want and being picky while plenty of places are hiring. U go where u can find a job til u find better
ACS

Winchester, KY

#4 Jan 17, 2013
hey wrote:
<quoted text>Go up mcd or something! Wal Mart! Geez u bums. They are hiring everyday. I get tired of hearing people say they are looking just bc there are places hiring but they don't wanna work there. If u are unemployed then it doesn't matter what u want. Take what u can get for now and still look for something better if u want while u are working instead of sitting ur butts at home. If I was unemployed I'd do whatever I had do to. Too many lazy people these days. U dont just sit at home til u find a job u think u want and being picky while plenty of places are hiring. U go where u can find a job til u find better
ACS is hiring but I'd rather work at McDonald's
NotALotGoingOnHe re

United States

#5 Jan 17, 2013
hey wrote:
<quoted text>
Go up mcd or something! Wal Mart! Geez u bums. They are hiring everyday. I get tired of hearing people say they are looking just bc there are places hiring but they don't wanna work there. If u are unemployed then it doesn't matter what u want. Take what u can get for now and still look for something better if u want while u are working instead of sitting ur butts at home. If I was unemployed I'd do whatever I had do to. Too many lazy people these days. U dont just sit at home til u find a job u think u want and being picky while plenty of places are hiring. U go where u can find a job til u find better
I should have known someone would reply being hateful on here. Can I ask what you are doing on here early in the day? Do you not work either? Or are you drawing a government check and feel like an elitist because you do? I shouldn't have to get on here, and defend myself because I'm unemployed. Maybe some of us are educated, have applied to places like McDonald's or Wal-Mart, and either don't hear back or get told "you are over qualified." It's easy to say "get a job" when you either a. already have one, and have been out of the job hunting world for a while, or b. don't have to worry about working because you draw a check, or mommy and daddy pay for everything. All I wanted to do was try and be of some help to someone else who is among the millions who are out of work right now, not be ridiculed. Maybe if you were in our shoes, you wouldn't be so quick to judge.
hey

United States

#6 Jan 17, 2013
<quoted text>I should have known someone would reply being hateful on here. Can I ask what you are doing on here early in the day? Do you not work either? Or are you drawing a government check and feel like an elitist because you do? I shouldn't have to get on here, and defend myself because I'm unemployed. Maybe some of us are educated, have applied to places like McDonald's or Wal-Mart, and either don't hear back or get told "you are over qualified." It's easy to say "get a job" when you either a. already have one, and have been out of the job hunting world for a while, or b. don't have to worry about working because you draw a check, or mommy and daddy pay for everything. All I wanted to do was try and be of some help to someone else who is among the millions who are out of work right now, not be ridiculed. Maybe if you were in our shoes, you wouldn't be so quick to judge.
No I was on break at work! I have been unemployed before only for a couple weeks. It didnt take long to find something. I guarantee I could have a job somewhere by the end of next week if I needed. Just seems like u arent applying anywhere and everywhere u can. U can't be picky when u need a job
working mom

Nicholasville, KY

#7 Jan 17, 2013
hey there are dollar stores hiring....take what you can get till you can find what you want....i'm tired of paying for the leaches, moochers, lazy drug pushers...as well as keeping unemployment up....some of us work several jobs to keep it going and stay off the give me free money list.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#8 Jan 17, 2013
working mom wrote:
hey there are dollar stores hiring....take what you can get till you can find what you want....i'm tired of paying for the leaches, moochers, lazy drug pushers...as well as keeping unemployment up....some of us work several jobs to keep it going and stay off the give me free money list.
If they're drawing unemployment then they apparently were making their payments on their own unemployment insurance.
hey

Louisville, KY

#9 Jan 17, 2013
YaHappyB wrote:
<quoted text>If they're drawing unemployment then they apparently were making their payments on their own unemployment insurance.
Yes but it's not there to just sit and live off of. If u can find a job then u get back out there and work. Gotta take what u can get til u find something better
apparently

West Liberty, KY

#10 Jan 17, 2013
<quoted text>
I should have known someone would reply being hateful on here. Can I ask what you are doing on here early in the day? Do you not work either? Or are you drawing a government check and feel like an elitist because you do? I shouldn't have to get on here, and defend myself because I'm unemployed. Maybe some of us are educated, have applied to places like McDonald's or Wal-Mart, and either don't hear back or get told "you are over qualified." It's easy to say "get a job" when you either a. already have one, and have been out of the job hunting world for a while, or b. don't have to worry about working because you draw a check, or mommy and daddy pay for everything. All I wanted to do was try and be of some help to someone else who is among the millions who are out of work right now, not be ridiculed. Maybe if you were in our shoes, you wouldn't be so quick to judge.
I would say most of those putting others down are independently wealthy thanks to the working man.
I understand what you say about being told you are over qualified for jobs. I have applied for jobs such as wal mart, dollar store and fast food. They all say you are over qualified. I also hear later that they wouldn't hire me because they knew as soon as I could find something full time and paid decent I would leave. There is nothing wrong with taking a break and drawing some of your unemployment. My spouse did that. They worked for the same company for 35 years and had the opportunity to take a few months of a volunteer layoff. They took it. Nothing wrong with that as they paid in thier unemployment insurance and didn't get any real government help. They are now back to work and working six days a week. The news says things are picking up but I would like to know where those jobs are they keep saying are out there.
The government also keep saying the housing market is picking up, but you sure can't tell it by the home furnishing companies. They are laying off still. This so call recovery is supossed to been happening for the past year. If so, why are companies not hiring and still laying off?
Well

United States

#11 Jan 18, 2013
hey wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes but it's not there to just sit and live off of. If u can find a job then u get back out there and work. Gotta take what u can get til u find something better
For your information that person has paid in unemployment insurance to their previous job. So, their former employer is actually still paying them so to speak. They worked for their unemployment unlike some of these people who sit on their behinds and draw, draw, draw those welfare benefits.
Sometimes unemployment pays more than working at some places when you figure in gas and wear and tear on a car. You're not paying for it and just because you choose to work at McDonalds that doesn't mean someone else should.
Another thing while you're on umemployment it gives you a good opportunity to go or go back to college and further your education.
hey

United States

#12 Jan 18, 2013
I'm tired of hearing how places always say people are overqualified. There's no such thing! That's dumb. Either u can do the job or u can't. There is no such thing as doing the job too much. If u can do it then u are qualified and should be given a job. That's like saying not to put gas in ur car bc u might overfill it. Any amount of gas will make it run. Just as any person that's not dumb can do a job
apparently

West Liberty, KY

#13 Jan 18, 2013
hey wrote:
I'm tired of hearing how places always say people are overqualified. There's no such thing! That's dumb. Either u can do the job or u can't. There is no such thing as doing the job too much. If u can do it then u are qualified and should be given a job. That's like saying not to put gas in ur car bc u might overfill it. Any amount of gas will make it run. Just as any person that's not dumb can do a job
I have an college degree and twenty year work history. Most of that with the state. I was laid off. I have applied at dollar general, family dollar and even a local dq. I only got one interview and wasn't hired. I have connections with the other two and when they asked about me, they were told that I was to qualified to flip burgers or work a cash register not only that they knew I would leave as soon as I could get something full time. They only wanted people that would stay and work part time. They knew that people with a good education and work history won't settle for part time min wage forever like someone that barely got through high school and a poor work history.
If you think you can go back to college and draw unemployment think again. I tried to get help to get another degree that would almost guarentee me a job(special education). I was told that I qualified for help but there was no money at that time and when it came available I would get it. I never got one penny. Whenever I called I was always told no money. But it was funny to me that others got money but never finished thier degree. LOL
New guy

Henderson, KY

#14 Jan 19, 2013
Wow, that Got heavy quick. Tithe first person who commented, thank you. That was some very helpful information. And yes it is very aggravating.
A far as mcdonalds and those sort of places: I feel with my past work experience, I have busted my ass enough to not have to work there. Im not being picky, I just wouldn't have been coming home covered in coal dust or work in the rain and snow while my friends were counting out change at mcdonalds, if I'd planned to do so. I know opportunity is here. It's just a matter of finding it. Thanks again to a certain few guys

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#15 Jan 19, 2013
apparently wrote:
<quoted text>
I have an college degree and twenty year work history. Most of that with the state. I was laid off. I have applied at dollar general, family dollar and even a local dq. I only got one interview and wasn't hired. I have connections with the other two and when they asked about me, they were told that I was to qualified to flip burgers or work a cash register not only that they knew I would leave as soon as I could get something full time. They only wanted people that would stay and work part time. They knew that people with a good education and work history won't settle for part time min wage forever like someone that barely got through high school and a poor work history.
If you think you can go back to college and draw unemployment think again. I tried to get help to get another degree that would almost guarentee me a job(special education). I was told that I qualified for help but there was no money at that time and when it came available I would get it. I never got one penny. Whenever I called I was always told no money. But it was funny to me that others got money but never finished thier degree. LOL
In your case you probably weren't hired because of your spelling. examples: "an college," "to qualified,"guarentee, "

Also, there were issues of capitalization and sentence structure as well.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lexington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What a friend I have in Jesus 18 min Messenger 1
Got Jesus? 22 min Messenger 7
maddie at cowboys (Oct '15) 1 hr Facts 55
Does Chris Bailey get paid for weather forecasts 1 hr Guessing 27
Center Court 1 hr Grace 2
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 2 hr umoron 151,817
best olace to buy craft beer 3 hr Demon 6

Lexington Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Lexington Mortgages