#21 Aug 6, 2010
Heather Slone wrote:
thx guys
i really was concidering spencerian
but i think i might look at EKU
i really wanted a college that i could get in and get out fast
and just take classes for graphic design
i didnt want to have to take pointless classes like biology or english
- You might think that classes like Biology and English are 'pointless', but if you go to any serious employer with misspelling simple words like 'considering' on a job app... youre going to be in for a world of rejection. As for Biology, what if you are hired to recreate the human form for a client? Comic book renditions are not always of the highest caliber, so maybe a better understanding of human anatomy would be a good right, right?
tired of the bs

Lexington, KY

#22 Sep 1, 2010
Anyone who has had trouble with spencerian or sullivan, google california attorney general sues corinthian college read that story then start filing complaints to our attorney general this is a major consumer protection violation these for profits are committing! get busy guys!
Spencerain drop out

Russell, KY

#23 Sep 8, 2010
I went to Spencerian for almost 1 1/2 years for computer engineering but finally dropped out due to the fact they charged you out the wazoo for everything especially the apartments. I lived in the ones at Chinoe apts. and they rented those from chinoe for 520 or 540 a month for a 2 bedroom apt. that they put 3 people into and charged them each the 520 or 540 which is 300 percent of the cost. Also the Housing director Jesse is a gay and he slept with students during while I was there and I have video evidence. The RA Eric Combs is a prick and an asshole so is Chad. What i'm trying to say is once they get you in they drop you like a bag of bricks and you are on your own also I never intend to pay them any of the money that I borrowed from Spencerian personally

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

#24 Dec 20, 2010
ky guy wrote:
<quoted text>if you want to go to college where it will be quicker and not a 4 year course, then check the website call http://www.bluegrass.kctcs.edu/ This are the one i would go too, if i was gonna go to college, they are cheaper than the university college and they have all kind of program you can do. why not check it out and see what you think of it?. you can decide what you want and where to go. it is left up to you.
The poster said she wanted to go to a school for Graphic Design. Bluegrass Community and Technical College is a great school, but they don't offer a graphic design program. Two schools in the state of Kentucky that I know of that have a graphic design program are Western Kentucky University and EKU.(There might be more, but these are the two I know of.) I know a girl that started in the graphic design program at EKU, and she said she didn't like it and quit to go to Spencerian (which was a mistake!) However, I have always heard Western has an excellent graphic design program, and it's probably by far the best in the state.
PetiteLady

Lexington, KY

#25 Dec 31, 2010
My husband went to Spencerian years ago for its Graphic Design program. He graduated and hasn't been able to find employment with his degree ever since.

He's trying for another degree at UK, but found out his credits won't transfer from Spencerian to UK. So he's having to start fresh, with a $35K+ debt on his back, plus living expenses. It's hard for both of us to survive because he didn't understand the "for-profit" college system.

Try to go to a public university, or at least a community college first. Remember that to be competitive, you not only need stellar grades but an amazing volunteer work/community service history.

And you need at least a Bachelors degree to find any employment.

Good luck!

Since: Mar 11

Erlanger, KY

#26 Mar 2, 2011
Adam wrote:
I still owe 10k to spencerian after I have paid around 12k I attended spencerian for about a year and a half. They told me I might be able to get a job making as much as 30k a year when I finished. Dont let them fool you its not as easy as you think to get a job with a spencerian diploma. I work for at&t now (which my spencerian education did not help me whatsoever because I only have 53 credit hours that are not transferable.) Short version go to EKU, UK or a smaller community college. DO NOT waste your time or money at spencerian I PROMISE YOU WILL REGRET IT!!!
Adam,

I am currently filing a complaint with the Attorney General here in Louisville for misrepresentation by Spencerian College on Dixie Highway that occurred back in 1998-99 when I attended. I am now taking online classes at Troy University, and was just told a couple of days ago that NONE of my credits will transfer because Spencerian is not properly accredited. I was told by the "salesperson" who represented Spencerian College that ALL of my credits would transfer to ANY college and that they were accredited and therefore any accredited school's credits earned will transfer to ANY OTHER COLLEGE. This was totally false and now I'm in the hole $9k and will have to goto college an extra year and a half, which will cost me around $14k through Troy to take classes over I've already taken. Ridiculous! I am also looking to hire an attorney to sue Spencerian to payoff the remaining balance since I will have to retake all of these classes again. I strongly advise you to contact your local Attorney General and file a complaint. It's a simple form you download online and fill out and fax or mail back into them. Then they will act as mediator for you.

Also, Graduate Employment Services did not even help me land one single interview. I repeatedly called and stopped into the school to talk with someone about job placement in my field and my calls were never returned nor was I told anything was available in accounting for me. Btw, the Attorney General representative I spoke with on the phone also informed me that there have been 7 complaints against Spencerian College here in Louisville in the past 5 years. So I'll be #8. You should see how many complaints have been filed against the Lexington branch. She added that if there are enough folks that register complaints against Spencerian, the more likely the chance that they will take legal action against Spencerian!I would surely appreciate you getting back to me on this!

Thanks,

Scott Smith
Mr Obvious

Frankfort, KY

#27 Mar 3, 2011
We too have had nothing but problems in dealing with the Spencerian folks. Their credits DO NOT transfer, their job placement consists of a partical board hanging up in the back with pizza delivery jobs. Their front office people give you the run around for financial help, and I had a counselor tell me late on a friday, she just wanted to get off the call and get out of there, she had her purse in her hand and didn't want to discuss my problem any furhter. Please anyone considering spending hard earned money for a college education seek else where. I am glad this is here for me to finally get the opprotunity to express my feelings with those people. Horrible!!!!
WDR3

Dayton, OH

#28 Mar 3, 2011
Why are you attending a private college when what you want to achieve is easily obtained in a state college or community college...at a far cheaper price........must be nice to have the extra money..
Chef

Lexington, KY

#29 Apr 11, 2011
I attended Sullivan University. They are great at sales!!!!! I had to take time off due to medical, and financial reasons but was assured that when I returned my tuition would not be increased. BS! Two years later, and they want an additional $10,000.00 for my degree. Lets see.... If I continue I will be paying $59,000.00 tuition plus interest for a mid career salary of $55,000.00ish. NOT!!!!! I am an executive Chef anyway making $46k plus benefits. KISS MY @SS Mr.A.R Sullivan.

PS... To future students. After owing $59k in tuition to Sullivan you are guaranteed $12 /hr IF THEY FIND YOU A JOB!!!!

PS.S
SUCK IT A.R
Good luck

Jeffersonville, IN

#30 Apr 11, 2011
Don't do it $47,000 bucks later and jobless!
padgetqueen99

Waco, KY

#31 Apr 12, 2011
Spencerian is the biggest rip off ever I spent 2 quarters there an none of my classes will transfer because spencerian is such a joke! They will tell u exactly what you want to hear to get you in there then u are basically stuck there the financial aid off lied something terrible to me to get me in there and I found out later I would be 56000 in dept if I graduated from there I could be a damn doctor for that not just some piss on job like what they offer and I honestly don't believe they are as accredited as they say it's all a little fishy do ur self a favor and go to the community college ... Oh an about the dorms u sign a thing stating that if u ever decided to leave the dorms you still have to pay for them even if u move out!
padgetqueen99

Waco, KY

#32 Apr 12, 2011
scott_from_Louisville wrote:
<quoted text>Adam,

I am currently filing a complaint with the Attorney General here in Louisville for misrepresentation by Spencerian College on Dixie Highway that occurred back in 1998-99 when I attended. I am now taking online classes at Troy University, and was just told a couple of days ago that NONE of my credits will transfer because Spencerian is not properly accredited. I was told by the "salesperson" who represented Spencerian College that ALL of my credits would transfer to ANY college and that they were accredited and therefore any accredited school's credits earned will transfer to ANY OTHER COLLEGE. This was totally false and now I'm in the hole $9k and will have to goto college an extra year and a half, which will cost me around $14k through Troy to take classes over I've already taken. Ridiculous! I am also looking to hire an attorney to sue Spencerian to payoff the remaining balance since I will have to retake all of these classes again. I strongly advise you to contact your local Attorney General and file a complaint. It's a simple form you download online and fill out and fax or mail back into them. Then they will act as mediator for you.

Also, Graduate Employment Services did not even help me land one single interview. I repeatedly called and stopped into the school to talk with someone about job placement in my field and my calls were never returned nor was I told anything was available in accounting for me. Btw, the Attorney General representative I spoke with on the phone also informed me that there have been 7 complaints against Spencerian College here in Louisville in the past 5 years. So I'll be #8. You should see how many complaints have been filed against the Lexington branch. She added that if there are enough folks that register complaints against Spencerian, the more likely the chance that they will take legal action against Spencerian!I would surely appreciate you getting back to me on this!

Thanks,

Scott Smith
Thanks for the info I will be filing a complaint as well! I would like you sue too and get my money back but have no idea how to go about it they done the same thing to me!
cedarghost

United States

#33 Aug 6, 2011
Dontdoit wrote:
If you ever plan on going to a real college do not waste your time and money going to this school because most classes are not recognized at real colleges.
If by" most classes are not recognized at real colleges" you mean credit doesn't transfer, they do have some credit transfer to 4 year schools. But look at UK. They don't even acceot credit transfer from LCC (which they own!!!) Because they want more of your money.
I am a graduate of Spencerian with a 2 year degree and I make 60,000 a year. The instructors there in the computer and electronics programs are top notch. I mean they really know their stuff. Best thing to do is go visit the school. They will even let you sit in on a class if you want to see what its all about.
oh, and the lab equipment is really good and available, unlike UK (where I attended first).
Scott From Louisville

Erlanger, KY

#34 Aug 9, 2011
padgetqueen99 wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for the info I will be filing a complaint as well! I would like you sue too and get my money back but have no idea how to go about it they done the same thing to me!
I've been extremely busy as of late, but I will file my complaint this week since I have a break in between classes at Troy University. I'll be glad to keep you in the loop as I work with the KY Attorney General on this matter.
grateful graduate

Louisville, KY

#35 Aug 9, 2011
I went to JCC and transferred to UK (much like cedarghost). I lost over a year--no one cared at all. In fact, they added classes that my advisor originally said I wouldn't need to take! And UK did accept the three classes from Sullivan I took for transfer so I know they do accept them. Sullivan was so helpful that I decided to get my master's from them. I am glad I did. I enjoyed my classes and my professors were excellent!

My friend's daughter went to Spencerian and worked hard to get her degree. She is employed and went into her new profession prepared.

Please reconsider being so negative...it'll eat at you. Life throws many experiences your way. Grab them and continue on. I overheard a Walmart employee, JCC graduate, complaining that he couldn't find a job in accounting. He was whining so much I could understand why he didn't get hired.
Scott From Louisville

Erlanger, KY

#36 Aug 9, 2011
grateful graduate wrote:
I went to JCC and transferred to UK (much like cedarghost). I lost over a year--no one cared at all. In fact, they added classes that my advisor originally said I wouldn't need to take! And UK did accept the three classes from Sullivan I took for transfer so I know they do accept them. Sullivan was so helpful that I decided to get my master's from them. I am glad I did. I enjoyed my classes and my professors were excellent!
My friend's daughter went to Spencerian and worked hard to get her degree. She is employed and went into her new profession prepared.
Please reconsider being so negative...it'll eat at you. Life throws many experiences your way. Grab them and continue on. I overheard a Walmart employee, JCC graduate, complaining that he couldn't find a job in accounting. He was whining so much I could understand why he didn't get hired.
It's the trickery involved my friend. Nothing more, nothing less. I was a model student while at Spencerian, had a GPA of 3.85 and enjoyed every minute of teaching from my instructors. It was only AFTER my completion of my degree did I run into the pigpen of problems. Spencerian's Graduate Employment Assistance become a tangled web of deceit and lies. I was told on my one and only meeting that I was able to schedule with a Graduate Employment Counselor that "I'm sorry, there are just not any jobs out there in Accounting for what you are looking for. I might be able to land you an interview for a part time position that pays $9.50 an hour." I made multiple calls on several other ocassions; leaving voicemails and messages which went unreturned. Very frustrating. And not being told I could transfer my credits is deceitful and akin to practices that mortgage lenders got into trouble doing in 2007. That's my complaint, which is absolutely valid since I now am having to also fight tooth and nail in order to receive provisional credit with Troy University since they only accept regional, not ACICS accreditation. Which is of course what Spencerian is. The funniest part of it all is that, when I asked my Admissions Counselor at Troy for a logical explanation to this, she said that it is because Spencerian's accreditation affiliation is strictly to get folks a diploma and get them out into the workforce as soon as possible. What a joke.'Nuff said.....
Lex Lion

Cincinnati, OH

#37 Jan 17, 2012
Spencerian is an awful joke and a complete rip-off. Their recruiters are liars of the highest order and all of the instructors that I had were either lazy beyond belief or completely ignorant of the material they were "teaching".

I have a 4-year Bachelor's degree form a state school, but I found myself working for several years outside of my degreed field. I needed some refresher courses in Graphic Design software and thought that Spencerian might be perfect for that. I told the recruiter exactly what I wanted - a handful of Graphic Design courses to help round out my Advertising degree. No problem. He boasted of the Employment Services Counselors that I would have access to on Day 1 - who would help me all along the way to find a job. BS. When I went to speak with them, they told me that you have to be graduating from a 2-year program to utilize their services.

My instructors (I took night/evening classes) were mostly young and clueless. They either read from a book themselves, or had the class take turns reading from the book. There was absolutely ZERO instruction that was ad-libbed or, what I call "experience teaching" - where a professional-turned-instructor tells you about real-world applications or experiences. I had one instructor who, on the first day of class, told us that, since there were only 5 students, we would only be coming in for class once per month to take a quiz or test. We should just read the book to prepare for them. I think I got him in trouble for that because I raised a stink about paying them $500 to teach myself from a $150 book. I only attended part-time for two quarters before I got completely fed up with it all.

DO NOT GO TO SPENCERIAN COLLEGE. Sullivan may be a different story, but I wouldn't risk that either.
Massage therapist

Louisville, KY

#38 Jan 17, 2012
I graduated from Spencerian with an AAS in Medical Massage Therapy and got a great job the very day my license came in- school was pricey, but now I make 1300 a month working 3 days a week at around 5-6 hours on those days. Leaves me room to work more if I'd like. Might not be the best school to get a degree in nursing or biomedical, but as for phlebotomy or massagetherapy, it's a good choice. Check your other options first- let this be a last resort school choice

Since: Feb 12

Bowling Green, KY

#39 Feb 26, 2012
Yes if you have problems no matter how long ago file complaints with AG.

Since: Feb 12

Bowling Green, KY

#40 Feb 26, 2012
We need numbers!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lexington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Trump The Unstable Snowflake 3 min Lolz 30
********** Life is good in Trumpland! ************ 6 min that is POS UPC 705
Emily Gilmore 22 min Sheahoe 16
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 57 min ChromiuMan 165,710
Dirty Deed Dems - It's All Coming Back To You Now 1 hr American Party 18
impregnate my wife 1 hr White bull 6
Time to investigate clintons 1 hr juan Gomez 56
Donald trump - making America great again 1 hr Trump To Resign 534

Lexington Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Lexington Mortgages