jim

Bowling Green, KY

#27 May 6, 2010
Having had friends join and leave Quest, I'm worried for those who have been misled regarding justification by faith. This is a foundational teaching of the New Testament that is being subtly twisted there. A friend of mine was cornered by a few volunteers who did their best to convince him that he wasn't saved because he couldn't remember the exact date of his salvation experience 20 years earlier. He mentioned the fact that he has seen the Spirit of God at work in him over the past 20 years, having helped him overcome a few addictions and improved his parenting and relationship skills. He also referenced more of the fruit of the Spirit being developed in his life as a testimony to the work of the Spirit in his heart and mind. In spite of this, he was told and I quote, "Just because you ask Jesus into your heart doesn't mean he comes in." Wow! So it seems to me some there are preying on people who do not feel saved versus those who are really lost. Even if you don't remember the date that you were saved, you are still saved because God remembers and He's the One doing the work of salvation for us and in us. We were (past tense) justified and we're being (present/ongoing tense) being saved. This is elementary teaching when it comes to a person's reception of God's saving work on their behalf. I don't know the motivation for the malignment of this important truth but it is dangerous. Other friends of mine who have visted have experienced the same thing or even more bizzare, a fixation on controlling your decision making once you become a part of a small group there. Given, some people need guidance after becoming a Christian, but telling a friend of mine whether or not she should take on a second job or not to help fund the building campaign is a bit agressive and borders on dictatorial. The beauty of the grace that saves us is that we get to choose it. And once we choose it, we're set free and empowered to make decisions that will honor God through the empowerment of His Spirit that lives in us. Yes, we give ourselves to a community of other followers, die to our own wants and desires, but not at the sake of losing identity. Jesus' love for Zachaeus is what motivated Zachaeus to make lifestyle changes and the same could be said for the woman at the well, Nicodemus, and countless others who encountered Jesus. Jesus wasn't controlling. He was liberating.

I could write more, but I'm curious to see the responses to this. I'm not one to attack or feel a need to defend myself, so please know I mean no harm. Tension is good for the Kingdom and can be productive because it forces us to re-examine pre-conceived and long standing beliefs that may be awry. So feedback and push back is welcomed...
Beth

Amelia, OH

#28 May 6, 2010
Bill Cosby

Lexington, KY

#29 Jun 9, 2010
Pete Hise is the second coming of Christ.
curious

Lexington, KY

#30 Jun 9, 2010
Catholics are Christians:

We believe in God the Father, the Son and the Spirit!!

Why is it everytime someone has something negative to say about a church they have to compare to the Catholic Church?r
sad

Lexington, KY

#31 Jun 9, 2010
Here is another thread on the subject.

http://www.topix.com/forum/city/lexington-ky/...
easy

Lexington, KY

#32 Jun 11, 2010
@ sad- I think it is because most protestants see catholics as "other". I have heard people say some crazy things about what catholics believe. I have enough sense to know better but most mainline protestants think some crazy things about catholics. I will say that sense they are so "othered" it is easier to pick on them than your average church. Still, it is not right. We may all believe a little differently but we are united in the universal church-which transcends denominations.
Anti-Quester

Covington, KY

#33 Aug 9, 2010
Quester wrote:
<quoted text>
In the 10 years that Quest has been a church over 10,000 lives have crossed over from death to life! 10,000 people now have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ and will have eternal life with Him in Heaven. That is miraculous! Lives have been saved! Marriages have been restored! Addictions have been broken! We have over 3,000 attendees and over 1,000 selfless volunteers that serve their hearts out every week to show the people of this city how much they are loved and wanted. Not by us necessarily but by Jesus. Because Jesus lives in us we love those around us and we can't help but want people to know how much they are absolutely adored by the God that created them. Once they know that, they can't resist running to Him. We are not a traditional church. But traditional churches are not working, and are not loving people that hurting and broken. Broken people are afraid to walk in the doors of a church due to judgement and expectations and that is so sad. But the church should be the safest place for them. Because the church should be the heart of Jesus. This is my church:)
You're kidding, right? You can honestly make such bold claims? I went there for over a year saw plenty of other things including text-book cult minipulation techniques being employed on new attendees.

Funny that you mention the number of members because the turn-over rate of new Members is very high too. Many that leave tell the same story of how they were continually pressured to get saved by Quest...even if they already were and producing good fruit. I also love how Questers eventually shun people that don't start quoting the standard Questisms after a month or two or allow themselves to be convinced that they aren't really saved (as I said before...even if they have previously trusted Jesus and enthroned Him as Lord of their life). Then there are all the counter-culture kids that have a dark past that quest has no idea how to deal with that they've ended up screwing up even more.

It's a white, trendy, upper-middle class cess-pool with no idea how to really give others lasting help or extend themselves in a way that doesn't end up helping them make a buck in the process.
Sooooo Not a Quest Fan

Frankfort, KY

#34 Aug 30, 2010
Does anyone know when this 'palooza' thing is going to happen? I'd like to know when there is some hope that I might again get to see my loved one.... Looked on the web site and they don't give a date?:(
A Christ Follower

Killeen, TX

#35 Sep 8, 2010
I think that Quest is like Church with Awesome Sauce poured all over it
ex-quest staffer

Lexington, KY

#37 Sep 22, 2010
I am a recent ex-quester and worked in kid care at the cult for about two and a half years. I must say I enjoy the original blog about the beauty of grace as we choose it and agree with that entire statement. My fellow staff workers and I have been abused in the following ways; no raises, no breaks, responsibility for more children per staff then is federally permitted, trying to take care o f special needs kids with no knowledge of how to do so and the worst... Watching children who have been left for far too long in the care of college students as we all become hungry, irritable and confused as to what the weather is like and what these people could possibly still be doing in "conversations?"
I can directly quote a staffer as saying "after working sunday mornings I feel like I am going to die." Probably due to dehydration, exhaustion, hunger, etcetera.
So many people there have the amazingly huge hearts and have no idea what is happening to them or where all their time and money is going. Its so sad. I truly love and care about so many people there but had to quit associating myself with that place to become a healthy and free thinker again.
That is not to say that I did not benefit spiritually at least in the beginning of coming to Quest. Indeed I made friends, but when I left and was questioning the imbalance of power and wealth of the leaders I was said to be "speaking the devils voice." Of this I surely am not.
Therefore I believe everyone can try it, but would advise not to become too wrapped up in it and do not at all costs quit questioning leadership! If you pray about it and feel that it is the place for you, then go for it. What is right for me is not right for everybody.
Finally, please do not miss watching your children grow up in order to serve God. I do not think he wants that.
well

Frankfort, KY

#38 Sep 27, 2010
Former Quester wrote:
I also attending Quest for about 5 years. I just want to say, read "Twisted Scriptures" and you will see EVERYTHING that goes on in that church.
I know that there are people who love Jesus who attend and I'm not saying I didn't benefit from their recovery ministry. What I am saying is: they are a cult, period. There is no doubt in my mind that I attended a cult for those 5 years. I'm not usually easily manipulated so saying this is difficult but it's the truth. If you are considering attending that church, don't. If you know anyone who attends try to get them out before Quest gets its' hooks into them.
Also, whatever you hear/read about the money issues and the guilt tactics is true. And whatever the person said at the beginning of this thread to try and defend Quest, is just a bunch of crap. They are probably in leadership or are on staff at Quest. They've drank the Kool-Aid
Wow. I really hope this isn't Charity or Shawn. Glad we weren't close friends or this would really hurt. Hope you are doing well.
T
Randi

Lexington, KY

#39 Sep 27, 2010
well wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow. I really hope this isn't Charity or Shawn. Glad we weren't close friends or this would really hurt. Hope you are doing well.
T
Hey T,

Nope it isn't Charity nor Shawn, and though we were not close, I am sorry I almost hurt your feelings. Too bad that you were not close with either Charity or Shawn; you really blew a chance to be friends with some absolutely wonderful people. Thanks for the wishes, however, I am not doing well, I am doing great now that I can breathe.

I had heard that Quest was doing a Come and see 4 yourself series. Guess that would apply to Twisted Scriptures as well, read it for yourself and see.
indigo

Nicholasville, KY

#40 Oct 27, 2010
Twisted Scriptures is a must read for christians. There are many who would not attempt because of fear; fear of having their faith challenged, of disapproval from others, of having to think for themselves.
37_Sick

Lexington, KY

#43 Apr 15, 2011
do you all even re-read what you have posted. Seems like a lot of barking! Fact of the matter is that none of you know the TRUTH, only God does. If in reality some people have looked to Pete instead of Jesus (that is their fault for listening to the enemy and not being focused on Jesus)! And if Pete has lead in a disobedient/unholy manor then Pete will have the blood of many on his hands (Ephesians speaks clearly on this)!
However, If thousands of people have come to know Jesus through the ministry of Church... well, store up the treasures in heaven bc the glory and majesty of His Kingdom has been advanced!
Who are any of you (or myself) to state negatives, if you were offended, hurt, or feel that you were wronged, deal with it with Jesus, get over it, and grow up! Makes me sick that "believers" get their panties in a wad over dumb crap that they don't agree with in ANY church! hey wake up... your barking is keeping un-believers from them for the cross and makes the entire body of christ look retarded, so seems like you have some blood on your hands as you are basically saying Pete does. Get the log out of your own eye!
Really?

United States

#44 Apr 16, 2011
37_Sick wrote:
do you all even re-read what you have posted. Seems like a lot of barking! Fact of the matter is that none of you know the TRUTH, only God does. If in reality some people have looked to Pete instead of Jesus (that is their fault for listening to the enemy and not being focused on Jesus)! And if Pete has lead in a disobedient/unholy manor then Pete will have the blood of many on his hands (Ephesians speaks clearly on this)!
However, If thousands of people have come to know Jesus through the ministry of Church... well, store up the treasures in heaven bc the glory and majesty of His Kingdom has been advanced!
Who are any of you (or myself) to state negatives, if you were offended, hurt, or feel that you were wronged, deal with it with Jesus, get over it, and grow up! Makes me sick that "believers" get their panties in a wad over dumb crap that they don't agree with in ANY church! hey wake up... your barking is keeping un-believers from them for the cross and makes the entire body of christ look retarded, so seems like you have some blood on your hands as you are basically saying Pete does. Get the log out of your own eye!
Maybe you need to re-read what you post. Pete has never lead in an inappropriate manor. His has lead in an inappropriate manner.

As for who am I to post. I have lived it, been there done that. I post to serve as a warning to others. Pete is a consummate salesman, so he does sway people. I guess we are all ultimately responsible for our own salvation, but QCC has deceived many into giving more than they can afford. Not just a financial statement.

Until there is true accountability to the rank and file quester, best to stay away.

It is a warning not a rant, much like one screaming for you to get off tracks due to the oncoming train!
SATAN

Evansville, IN

#45 Apr 16, 2011
HMMMMM

I seem to remember running into Pete and Sharon at Wal-Mart on Man O War. Only strange thing..... it was 1:30 AM.

Not saying they need to live according to Billy Graham's guidance. But it's probably not a good image for the church.

[QUOTE who="Really?"]<qu oted text>
Maybe you need to re-read what you post. Pete has never lead in an inappropriate manor. His has lead in an inappropriate manner.
As for who am I to post. I have lived it, been there done that. I post to serve as a warning to others. Pete is a consummate salesman, so he does sway people. I guess we are all ultimately responsible for our own salvation, but QCC has deceived many into giving more than they can afford. Not just a financial statement.
Until there is true accountability to the rank and file quester, best to stay away.
It is a warning not a rant, much like one screaming for you to get off tracks due to the oncoming train!
[/QUOTE]
Richmond Lady

Richmond, KY

#46 Apr 20, 2011
SATAN wrote:
HMMMMM
I seem to remember running into Pete and Sharon at Wal-Mart on Man O War. Only strange thing..... it was 1:30 AM.
Not saying they need to live according to Billy Graham's guidance. But it's probably not a good image for the church.
<quoted text>
Just curious, what is the significance of whether they were out at night? I don't understand what you are implying, because it does seem to be only that...?
GEEZ

Greenville, IN

#47 Apr 20, 2011
THIS BREAKING NEWS JUST IN: People God doesn't need your money. Whats he going to do with it?. Organized religion is the largest financial entity in the world, and a sham. You can sit in your own home, car, outside or be in the shower and still talk to god.

Since: Oct 10

Alexandria, KY

#48 Apr 20, 2011
Wow, another quest thread. How many on here now?
Trogdor_issa_Cre ep

Lexington, KY

#49 Apr 20, 2011
It is one of the first threads, genius. Look at the date of the first comment. Here's a shocker...some of these so-called churches manipulate and abuse people. From time to time somebody is going to step out and tell people. These places cause their own bad P.R. People like you who attempt to character assassinate, discredit, undermine, and insult everyone who has the guts to come on Topix to discuss their negative experiences (at either wishy-washy trend obsessed money-pits like Quest C and Embrace C or legalistic white-washed social clubs like Clay's Mill Road BC and Southland C) and warn others just helps to reinforce the negative image.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lexington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
why doesn't KY have emissions laws for cars??? (Feb '11) 25 min 131rodger 34
Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 29 min ChromiuMan 131,873
Chris Harrison EX-UK Basketball player homeless... (Nov '13) 47 min frank nitti 108
over throw our useless government 2 hr Killer 26
Hot nurse (Jan '12) 4 hr Guy 137
Augusta Arms Apartments/Murder 6 hr Desiree 3
What's your age and how many sex partners you had? (Sep '10) 7 hr Zack 412
do black girls like white guys? (Mar '14) 8 hr Just dumb 169
2004 bookstore (Nov '09) 11 hr lol 5,848
Best way to sleep with mother in law (Aug '13) Wed typeR k 47
Lexington Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Lexington People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Lexington News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Lexington

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 3:50 pm PST

NBC Sports 3:50PM
Bengals heading back into withering spotlight - NBC Sports
NBC Sports 6:32 PM
Week 16 skill-position injury report — Thursday
Bleacher Report 7:22 PM
Denver Broncos vs. Cincinnati Bengals: Complete Week 16 Preview for Denver
Bleacher Report 1:38 AM
Cowboys' Week 16 Preview vs. Colts
Bleacher Report 4:00 AM
Why Do the Colts Still Insist on Feeding Trent Richardson?