What is Irishtown?
so sweet

Dayton, OH

#21 Jun 23, 2011
kygal63 wrote:
i was borned and raised and all of my family is from irishtown at one time their was not a better
place to raised a family any one down there would tell you that but i don't know i life there years ago i don't even go there any more back when i grow up down there you had bad ass came from other parts of lexington but they got got their ass whip and got ran out of irishtown.
but the house i grow up in on valley ave is not there any more, but any the older people can tell you years ago it was a damn good place to raise
a family we all was like one big family every one new every one but all the ones has died off or just lift and never came back some one told me their is blacks and mexicans is takeing over irishtown now , i can just see all the old timers faces now.. but i can say one thing I'M DAMN PROUD TO SAY I'M A IRISHTOWNER AMAN......
um.... either you are retarded, need to go back to school, or really fu<k*ng high. take a good look at what you wrote and how you wrote it. damn!!!
K DOG

Louisville, KY

#22 Jun 27, 2011
KYBigBlue4u wrote:
<quoted text>
That is a great idea! We could send one street down to west 5th and let then live in Coolavin Apartments. Then you could send the other over to Winburn.
Sounds like 2 me Tammy give u an ol fashion irishtown as. whippin and ur still crying about it
K DOG

Louisville, KY

#23 Jun 27, 2011
Hummmmmmm wrote:
Sounds like you know them well! Cause everything you said was completely true!
i know who mona is u rat TAMMY beat that butt real good and ur still crying
explain it Dreas

Louisville, KY

#24 Jun 27, 2011
Dreas, you know alot about Lexington. Will you give the history of Irishtown. I'm sure there's more to it than what these thugs describe. Sincere inquiry.
Thats Right

Lexington, KY

#25 Jun 27, 2011
Irishtown is the area between S. Broadway and Vearsailles rd between Pine st and Deroode. It's called irishtown because that is where all the Irish immigrants settled here in lexington.

“unapologetically liberal”

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#26 Jun 27, 2011
historically a depressed area at the end of high street where it turns into Versailles Rd. A lot of early Irish immigrants settled there at the beginning of the 1800's. Much poverty and crime. It's now a reclamation project. shotgun houses with dirt floors were not uncommon!
Drive way

Lexington, KY

#27 Jun 27, 2011
So it's not a nice little area where you can have a pint of stout in the corner pub and maybe some mutton with your best mates?

Darn.
Uhhh

Lexington, KY

#28 Jun 27, 2011
smartest man alive wrote:
Why is it called Irishtown?
It was built by the Southern Railroad to house the Irish workers who helped build the railroad through Lexington. Ever notice how so many of the old homes are pretty much alike? They were built off site and transported in on rail cars. Some of Irishtown is also referred to as the Davis Bottoms because the foreman who oversaw the area's building was named Davis.
serious response

Louisville, KY

#29 Jun 27, 2011
Thank you to all providers of serious responses. The negativity and scary responses piqued my curiosity.
mike russell

Lexington, KY

#31 Jul 1, 2011
MEADOWTHORPE MAFIA wrote:
ITS A CESSPOOL OF A CRAPPY NEIGHBORHOOD OFF MANCHESTER STREET FULL OF PILLHEADS AND CRACKHEADS. THOMPSON ISNT MUCH BETTER ITS RIGHT UP THE STREET BT THE STOCKYARDS AND THS SEWAGE PLANT. PROBABLY ONE OF THE MOST DEPRESSINGLY SHITTY AREAS OF TOWN LOL
meadowthopre is not much better it is full of a**holes and stuck up people who think they are better than anyone else.there are pill heads everywhere even in meadowthopre maybe more there than irishtown.
shawn russell

Louisville, KY

#32 Jul 1, 2011
uhh most of what you posted is true my family can be tracked back to that time but davis bottom is not irishtown
mike russell

Lexington, KY

#33 Jul 1, 2011
KYBigBlue4u wrote:
<quoted text>
Have no idea. I don't think that the people that live there are Irish. Lol
dumb ass mr smart man it is because the first people to live there were irish
Brenda

United States

#34 Jul 2, 2011
We are the McCullough clan. Irishtown is where they resided and still reside. The fathers of our children are on there birth certificates and everything we ever got we worked for from Great Great Granny smothers on down to the last McCulloughs left there now. As far as dragging a potatoe down the street on a string.....be careful you may get it shoved somewhere you don't want it. If you don't like irishtown stay the hell away from it as for me and mine it's my home don't judge everyone based on what a few do. We are not crack heads but if need be and provoked... Well you get the picture. Pill heads well look around your neighbor hood that is an epidemic that is everywhere not just one place. Leave us alone we will leave you alone
uhh

Lexington, KY

#35 Jul 2, 2011
shawn russell wrote:
uhh most of what you posted is true my family can be tracked back to that time but davis bottom is not irishtown
I can see where you are coming from. The "Bottoms" may not be considered part of irishtown now a days, but were originally a part of Irishtown. The Thompson road area was originally called the "Thompson Addition" to Irishtown, but like the "Bottoms" is not considered part of Irishtown today.
Systome

Montgomery, AL

#36 Jul 3, 2011
Brenda wrote:
We are the McCullough clan. Irishtown is where they resided and still reside. The fathers of our children are on there birth certificates and everything we ever got we worked for from Great Great Granny smothers on down to the last McCulloughs left there now. As far as dragging a potatoe down the street on a string.....be careful you may get it shoved somewhere you don't want it. If you don't like irishtown stay the hell away from it as for me and mine it's my home don't judge everyone based on what a few do. We are not crack heads but if need be and provoked... Well you get the picture. Pill heads well look around your neighbor hood that is an epidemic that is everywhere not just one place. Leave us alone we will leave you alone
Of the same ilk. Thanks for the threats of physical violence.:) This is the kind of response you'd expect from someoen who didn't place a high value on education, civility and community. Having a criminal record (because of your fighting), prevents you from getting decent jobs and lends to you collecting goverment assistance which the rest of us have to pay for. Keep up the good work.
look in the mirror fool

Newport, KY

#37 Jul 3, 2011
Systome wrote:
<quoted text>
Of the same ilk. Thanks for the threats of physical violence.:) This is the kind of response you'd expect from someoen who didn't place a high value on education, civility and community. Having a criminal record (because of your fighting), prevents you from getting decent jobs and lends to you collecting goverment assistance which the rest of us have to pay for. Keep up the good work.
You're not so different. You're response to the Nicholasville Rd. Idiot thread proves it. LAME
Systome

Montgomery, AL

#38 Jul 3, 2011
look in the mirror fool wrote:
<quoted text>
You're not so different. You're response to the Nicholasville Rd. Idiot thread proves it. LAME
:) You're super clever.
shawn russell

Louisville, KY

#40 Jul 3, 2011
if you want to talk more shit come to 259 willard street i will show you systome to freakin coward to show your real name but i show mine i bet your a welfare mom with 5 mexican kids right or your a lonely pervert that spend 8hours jerking your gerking on the net but hey its your life just like its our life to not take shit from anyone govenors politicians and your proud police have even lived in irishtown we have had basketball players that went to college and to the nba and you can bet we have had boxers golden glove boxers come from irishtown we just dont let people run over us their and we are not cowards like you fools put your hands on us we fight back and their are still irish familys down here my family is one of the familys but if your so bad to talk bout our iristown dont do it under a screen name come to my family home and tell us what you think i would love for the meadow thorpe mafia fag to come down come on bad ass
shawn russell

Louisville, KY

#41 Jul 3, 2011
systome come on down lets have a talk im waiting on you
No Fun Aloud

United States

#42 Jul 3, 2011
...Packed up my car & i got some gas, told everybody they can kiss my arse, i'm going to Irishtown, they really party down...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lexington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
False sexual harassment against trump 1 hr CaveMan 8
Sweden is screwed 2 hr A Friend Called V... 4
Now Banding Words 2 hr Yee hah 5
We miss Barack Obama 3 hr Uncle sams people 43
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 3 hr Seriously 170,624
I'm sorry, liberals, but you guys are going to... 5 hr Ukraps 21
Trump Bans Words 5 hr Ken 3
Running against Kim Davis 14 hr Liberal Mental Di... 182

Lexington Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Lexington Mortgages