Should i tip the carhops at Sonic?

Should i tip the carhops at Sonic?

Posted in the Lexington-Fayette Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Depends

United States

#2 Jun 4, 2013
Chris wrote:
I just don't know what is customary. What do they make an hour?
I only tip if I have parked in one of the drive up things and plan on eating in my car or the picnic table. I never tip when the drive thru makes me pullover and wait ten minutes for a milkshake...that is crap.
Always

Decatur, GA

#3 Jun 4, 2013
Chris wrote:
I just don't know what is customary. What do they make an hour?
Yes you should always tip unless using the drive thru. The carhops are paid same hourly rate as waitresses/serves. I think it is like $2.35 per hour.
Bulltit

Georgetown, KY

#4 Jun 4, 2013
Then why doesn't the place pay them the same as burger king? They certainly charge the same amount. If they expect the customer to pay the wages of the workers then the food should be cheaper to the customer
Always

Winchester, KY

#5 Jun 4, 2013
Bulltit wrote:
Then why doesn't the place pay them the same as burger king? They certainly charge the same amount. If they expect the customer to pay the wages of the workers then the food should be cheaper to the customer
Call up there and ask them. They have cooks and other workers that get paid min. wage. Not all the workers you see are carhops. My daughter used to work there and they normally only had one carhop scheduled on reg nights (Mon - Wed) and 2 on busy nights (Thurs-Sun).
Never

Georgetown, KY

#6 Jun 4, 2013
They get 8$ an hour if they skate. Where you got the 2 something I have no lue; typically they have a huge sign up that clearly says "hiring carhops- 8$ an hour".
lol

United States

#8 Jun 4, 2013
No u shouldn't tip. Heck if u have to tip everyone then might as well tip the mcd worker that brings u the burger and puts it in ur sack! Lol they are getting ur food too just like sonic or anywhere else. It's not our fault that sonic doesn't have an inside to eat at. It's their fault that they have to bring it out to u
Always

Winchester, KY

#9 Jun 4, 2013
Never wrote:
They get 8$ an hour if they skate. Where you got the 2 something I have no lue; typically they have a huge sign up that clearly says "hiring carhops- 8$ an hour".
You are wrong. Like I said call up there and ask. The sign said "Make up to $8" the regular hourly pay is $2.35 per hour plus tips for the carhops that skate. They deserve a tip if they are serving you the food.
Always

Winchester, KY

#10 Jun 4, 2013
lol wrote:
No u shouldn't tip. Heck if u have to tip everyone then might as well tip the mcd worker that brings u the burger and puts it in ur sack! Lol they are getting ur food too just like sonic or anywhere else. It's not our fault that sonic doesn't have an inside to eat at. It's their fault that they have to bring it out to u
If that is your attitude you should never eat there. Go to McDonalds. There workers who put the food on the bag gets paid normal min.wage. No personal service when you are standing at the counter ordering your food and pick it up. At Sonic, the food is delivered to you by a carhop unless you use the drive thru. If you are too cheap to tip, use the drive thru or don't go there.
lol

Clarksville, IN

#11 Jun 4, 2013
Always wrote:
<quoted text>You are wrong. Like I said call up there and ask. The sign said "Make up to $8" the regular hourly pay is $2.35 per hour plus tips for the carhops that skate. They deserve a tip if they are serving you the food.
And like I said...do u tip everyone? Do u tip the guy at mcd that serves you ur food on a tray? If not then why? He is serving u the food? See how dumb that sounds. U can't tip everyone
Always

Winchester, KY

#12 Jun 4, 2013
lol wrote:
<quoted text>And like I said...do u tip everyone? Do u tip the guy at mcd that serves you ur food on a tray? If not then why? He is serving u the food? See how dumb that sounds. U can't tip everyone
I didn't say you tip everyone. But it is etiquette to tip those in a waitress/server position. They only get paid $2.35 per hour and depend on the tips to reach min wage.
lol

Clarksville, IN

#13 Jun 4, 2013
Well not from me. Sonic is fast food where everyone should get minimum wage. Like I said, it's not my fault they designed their restaurant that way with no inside to go in and eat so not my fault that they "have" to bring it out to me. Only at a real restaurant should u to
Always

Winchester, KY

#14 Jun 4, 2013
lol wrote:
Well not from me. Sonic is fast food where everyone should get minimum wage. Like I said, it's not my fault they designed their restaurant that way with no inside to go in and eat so not my fault that they "have" to bring it out to me. Only at a real restaurant should u to
Every restaurant is different. Food is different, atmosphere is different, experience is different. You get what you pay for. You're entitled to your opinion and you should not frequent those restaurants where tips are appreciated. I hope if you go to Sonic again and you pull into one of the spots or eat at the tables you think about this topic and change your opinion in tipping. Ask the carhop how much they make. I know a lot of people don't know their hourly rate. That's why my daughter had to quit because she rarely got tipped.
Harold

Georgetown, KY

#15 Jun 4, 2013
I'll tip them 18 year old hot skinny girls that shakes that ass for me.... damn nice pieces of ass to watch shake and skate away! tip ya have a nice day ladies! I need a refill or more mustard!!

them boys, especially the sweetie pie, hell no damn no damn tip for your skuzz buckets!
Rob McKee

Ann Arbor, MI

#16 Jun 5, 2013
I usually give them 1$ if they were friendly
Jess

Shelbyville, KY

#17 Jun 5, 2013
My brother works at sonic and they make most of there money by tips..
i would

Lexington, KY

#18 Jun 6, 2013
i would tip because its almost like if you was going in somewhere to eat. just because there not bring it to a table dont mean there still not bring it. there bring it to your car samething in my eyes,they really dont make s**t i was gonna work there but it dont pay, i found way better
Tip

United States

#19 Jun 6, 2013
Yes but I don't give the customary 15%
Bobo

Richmond, KY

#21 Jun 9, 2013
I use the drive through to avoid having to tip the car hops. I ALWAYS tip at restaurants where you actually get service (refills on drinks, chips, bread, etc.) But not for someone bringing me my food and never coming back. I dont tip at mancinos when they bring my food out. Does anyone?
ex employee

Manistee, MI

#22 Jun 12, 2013
You guys are all wrong. You don't make anymore if you skate. They force all carhops to regardless. I worked there a while ago and made $4.75 an hour plus tips. If I didn't make enough tips to equal out to 7.25$ they paid me the difference. People should tip when parking in stalls. Not when pulled off to the side. No one in that place made 8$ lol it's all minimum wage including cooks, drive thru, and preps.
ex employee

Manistee, MI

#23 Jun 12, 2013
Btw, "make up to 8$" is if you have been there 10+ years and do the crap work. Like cleaning the dead fried possums out that crawl into the grease traps at night and fry all day.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lexington-Fayette Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 11 min CriminalForever 156,561
Donald Trump's Ugly Family 12 min ppp 34
Kroger going under? 25 min hot dog 25
Add a word, Drop a word (Dec '09) 33 min Keep It Going 6,945
Garth Elementary 39 min Garth Parent Too 25
Brooke Taylor on Backpage (Jun '15) 41 min KO_fku 34
help me for christmas please 44 min KO_fku 10

Lexington-Fayette Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Lexington-Fayette Mortgages