Bible study rules for public schools ...

Bible study rules for public schools proposed

There are 143061 comments on the The Courier-Journal story from Feb 10, 2010, titled Bible study rules for public schools proposed. In it, The Courier-Journal reports that:

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Courier-Journal.

curious

Ocoee, FL

#117142 Nov 15, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Lol
Despite what curious thinks we are actually on are own. Furthermore, magic is for children, not adults.
If a god or witch were to do magic or miracles, it would negate the free will that we all have and go against the laws of physics that curious believes were implemented by his god. Well, they would if the god that curious believes in actually existed.
I know curious won't like it but we live in a natural animal world. We certainly don't have our freedoms and choices usurped by magical gods and demons.
Again , you are using red herrings and stinkbombs as a subterfuge.
Those tactics will not get you out of the mess that your minds have gotten you into.
Self proclaiming yourselves to be wise has led you all into a headlong charge into the land of foolishness , from which you are unable to extract yourselves.
Take up the challenge , if you dare.
No more stinkbombs or Red Herrings....State your positions in clear terms.
Don't hide behind subterfuges as the Atheist Scientist , Peter Atkins did in his debate with John Lennox and as Christppher Hitchens attempted to do with Williamm Craig.
curious

Ocoee, FL

#117143 Nov 15, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
So basically, your well thought out and concise evaluation is,
yada yada atheists yada apologist disinformation yada yada pseudoscience yada yada more bovine excrement yada yada reality is for losers yada vitriol yada God loves me more than he does you nya-nya yada yada I don't understand diddly crap and you can't make me yada yada....
You already say that months ago, why do you feel it necessary to be so repetitive?
Well , there you have provided us with another red herring.
I would assume that, since you mention bovine crap and diddly crap,
you must be describing the plate set before you at the dinner table

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#117144 Nov 15, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Those tactics will not get you out of the mess that your minds have gotten you into.
Self proclaiming yourselves to be wise has led you all into a headlong charge into the land of foolishness , from which you are unable to extract yourselves.
Don't hide behind subterfuges as the Atheist Scientist , Peter Atkins did in his debate with John Lennox and as Christppher Hitchens attempted to do with Williamm Craig.
So Lennox is curious' hero of quote mining and bias confirmation, while Craig is his champion of circular logic. Anything that is not inside his circle of self-deceit must be a free range herring swimming in the smoke. <shrug>

“See how you are?”

Earth

#117145 Nov 15, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Well , there you have provided us with another red herring.
I would assume that, since you mention bovine crap and diddly crap,
you must be describing the plate set before you at the dinner table
Just pointing out that you use a lot of words to season your insanity. You may take it with a grain of salt that if you'd served anything better than apologist nightsoil with delusion sauce and a side of paranoia poo-ree, I might rate you a better epicurean.
curious

Ocoee, FL

#117146 Nov 15, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Just pointing out that you use a lot of words to season your insanity. You may take it with a grain of salt that if you'd served anything better than apologist nightsoil with delusion sauce and a side of paranoia poo-ree, I might rate you a better epicurean.
Another stink bomb as a subterfuge. Epicureanating is not the topic being discussed.
The debilitated debating abilities of those who have self proclaimed themselves as being intelligent debaters is slowly coming apart and will soon join the fantasy world of Humpty Dumpty.

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

#117147 Nov 15, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
No, he's different than those. Christian fundamentalism sets the bar for Creation Crazies.
Lol

When it comes to acceptable evidence for their god, they set the bar very low indeed.

Nottingham, UK

#117149 Nov 15, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Your futile efforts to avoid presenting YOUR VIEW as to how creation occurred , because you have no plausible view to present , has led you to the only alternative available to you ,which is , tossing red herrings ,smokescreens and stinkbombs.
So much for those who self proclaimed themselves to be highly intelligent and skillful Atheist debaters.
And,so there is no mistaking as to whom I am reffering to, You,Chroe, MD , lodi and Witchetty.... LOL will not be included in this group...He is,if one can imagine it, on a much lower scale.
Reminds me of the one whose brain sought asylum in a mental ward,that being Skeptakal Spektakals.
What's plausible about invoking magical beings as the creator?

Any infant child can do that.

Saying "Godditit" parrot fashion is not debate.

Stick to your ju-ju...you'll be fine.

Nottingham, UK

#117150 Nov 15, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
I've told you my position - it's science over magic.

Nottingham, UK

#117151 Nov 15, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Another stink bomb as a subterfuge. Epicureanating is not the topic being discussed.
The debilitated debating abilities of those who have self proclaimed themselves as being intelligent debaters is slowly coming apart and will soon join the fantasy world of Humpty Dumpty.
You can tell yourself any myth you want to make yourself feel better but it doesn't make it true.

You should try non-belief and if you're lucky, you'll develop critical thinking skills and base your worldview on evidence not fairy tales.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#117152 Nov 15, 2013
sandman365 wrote:
<quoted text>there is nothing in the first amendment that remotely indicates separation of church and state.
of course there is - there is both a freedom of religion clause and a non-Establishment of religion clause. However, the term "wall of separation" is not used. The Supreme Court has not ruled consistently in favor of religious freedom or of non-Establishment, but a majority of its precedents lean that way. And one can read the words for onesself, and take a look at the backgrounds of certain members of the Court, and decide to have more respect for the plain meaning of the two clauses than even a 5-4 majority of the current court would have.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#117153 Nov 15, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
You can tell yourself any myth you want to make yourself feel better but it doesn't make it true.
You should try non-belief and if you're lucky, you'll develop critical thinking skills and base your worldview on evidence not fairy tales.
that was to curious. I have a slightly different attitude. Do we want disgusting people to be won over to rational thought? better to have them be examples of what sort of person has ridiculous opinions. It is more important to try to win over nice people. And if someone is a freethinker, and not nice, better to disavow that person - and if necessary, even that person's extreme way of expressing his views.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#117154 Nov 15, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Lol
When it comes to acceptable evidence for their god, they set the bar very low indeed.
you guys seem to be overlooking one very important argument for the existence of the sort of God these fundies believe in - nasty god and nasty universe go together. The universe is full of cruelty and their image of God is of a being full of cruelty.

It would be much more ridiculous to believe that an allgoodallpowerful God made this deeply flawed planet and universe - based on what we experience on earth in terms of the pain we ourselves experience, and what we see as clear evidence that other living creatures also suffer great pain.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#117155 Nov 15, 2013
I would be far more inclined to believe in the possibility of a very cruel creator, one full of whims and ego and angers and need to throw its weight around - than in a well-intentioned, well-mannered creator. The case seems stronger that man (and I mean males) created a God in their own image, than vice versa. But a violent, vindictive God that made violent, vindictive men (all the wars and rapes and greed are far more characteristic of men than women) is not such complete nonsense. Of course any rational person begins with "I don't know - and I rather doubt that anyone can ever know." and then goes on to believe or not believe. Not believing is simpler - a surer way to approach rational living. But believing in some sort of God or other says a great deal about the believer, and the culture in which he or she was indoctrinated. There are nice people who insist on believing in a not-nice God and yet claiming that it is a good God. I feel sorry for them that their minds are so warped that their ethics are compromised - being an apologist for evil can result in tolerating evil, and thus being actually not very nice at all.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#117156 Nov 15, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
I've told you my position - it's science over magic.
That was to curious. Of course I agree with you more than I do with curious. However, there are many instances where I am much more comfortable with an agnostic attitude toward some of the seeming conclusions of science. I doubt that scientists know all they think they know, and I also doubt that they can find out all they want to find out. The best attribute of science is in its not being entirely sure, and wanting to double check - and then admitting that one has reached a view that is applicable so far, for practical purposes - not that one has found TRUTH.

Nottingham, UK

#117157 Nov 15, 2013
havent forgotten wrote:
<quoted text> that was to curious. I have a slightly different attitude. Do we want disgusting people to be won over to rational thought? better to have them be examples of what sort of person has ridiculous opinions. It is more important to try to win over nice people. And if someone is a freethinker, and not nice, better to disavow that person - and if necessary, even that person's extreme way of expressing his views.
Good point

At least you can engage better with people who are more civil.

Nottingham, UK

#117158 Nov 15, 2013
havent forgotten wrote:
<quoted text> you guys seem to be overlooking one very important argument for the existence of the sort of God these fundies believe in - nasty god and nasty universe go together. The universe is full of cruelty and their image of God is of a being full of cruelty.
It would be much more ridiculous to believe that an allgoodallpowerful God made this deeply flawed planet and universe - based on what we experience on earth in terms of the pain we ourselves experience, and what we see as clear evidence that other living creatures also suffer great pain.
It would make perfect sense that if there is a god then he's a sadistic monster. How else can all the suffering be explained?
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#117159 Nov 15, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
It tend to be a truism that the left opposes what the right does and the right opposes that the left is.
I hope you do not mean to imply that there is an equivalence. The phrase sounds catchy but what do you really mean? It all depends on how one defines right and left of course. There are left libertarians and rightwing libertarians in politics and economics - the leftwing ones emphasize civil liberties, the rightwing ones emphase economic laissez faire, with each man for himself and the devil take the hindmost. Occasionally left, center, and rightwing libertarians may agree on something - for example, if a government uses eminent domain to seize property of an individual, in order to re-sell the property to a big developer with the intent to bring in more tax money. As a left libertarian I find that a decent rightwing libertarian is likely to also oppose that - which I think was upheld by the USSC a few years ago.

“See how you are?”

Earth

#117160 Nov 15, 2013
havent forgotten wrote:
<quoted text> you guys seem to be overlooking one very important argument for the existence of the sort of God these fundies believe in - nasty god and nasty universe go together. The universe is full of cruelty and their image of God is of a being full of cruelty.
The difference between a natural universe and a Created Universe is amoral vs. Immoral.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#117161 Nov 15, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
If you love your god then you love an abortionist.
that was to YAA - also a rapist, if he believes in the story about Jesus being the only begotten son of God (via the Holy Ghost, or what)) She was not asked to give consent - and she was probably underage according to the story. And even older women brainwashed to give consent are not in their right minds - she obviously was not told that she was not told that she would have a child in order to have him offered up as a blood sacrifice (by God's alleged plan) to appease a bloodthirsty God.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#117162 Nov 15, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
It would make perfect sense that if there is a god then he's a sadistic monster. How else can all the suffering be explained?
if it is a very powerful one. and if it made the laws of nature, the nature of matter. and if there is no opposing force of equal power or greater power. Dualism allows one to assert that there is a good God, but not if the God is more powerful and allows the bad force (Satan or the Devil or whatever) to do its damage, which seems to be implied with the Biblical God.

Have you read the great play JB by Archibald Macleish. It handles the book of Job in an interesting way. The devil has the best lines.

I am sure you know the classic forumulation - maybe Epicurus? of this, but I love the JB version:

If God is God, He is not good;
If god is good, he is not God;
take the even, take the odd,
I would not sleep here if I could
except for the wind in the grass and the little green leaves\
in the wood.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lexington-Fayette Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Debate: Marijuana - Lexington, KY (Aug '10) 7 min Chronically Ill 362
Deja VU Strip Club (Dec '14) 15 min Yadaddy 17
leggett and platt 20 min peach333 13
petie taylor 31 min their daughter 41
Leggett platt 31 min peach333 6
beautiful milf on barren river court 41 min country at heart 84
curious about aichi forge (Oct '13) 45 min Fine 41
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Lexington-Fayette Mortgages