'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Se...

'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate

There are 228966 comments on the thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com story from Oct 1, 2010, titled 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate. In it, thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com reports that:

"Fox News Sunday" is heading to Louisville, Ky. Jack Conway, Kentucky's attorney general and the Democratic candidate for Senate , and Rand Paul, the Republican nominee and son of Representative Ron Paul, Republican of Texas, have agreed to a live debate on "Fox News Sunday" on Oct.3 at 9 a.m. (Eastern time).

Join the discussion below, or Read more at thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com.

American Lady

Danville, KY

#113436 Aug 5, 2013
Tawana Brawley Finally Being Held To Account – 25 years later
Posted on August 4, 2013 by sundance
Meanwhile the man who organized the hoax has a full time TV show on MSNBC and continues his race-baiting enterprises…… Go look up the entire story of *how* Tawana Brawley was handled, and you’ll see how eerily similar it is to Rachel Jeantel….

New York Post - Twenty-five years after accusing an innocent man of rape, Tawana Brawley is finally paying for her lies.

http://theconservativetreehouse.com/2013/08/0...

MORE Great articles here:
http://theconservativetreehouse.com/
American Lady

Danville, KY

#113437 Aug 5, 2013
GOVERNMENT SUCS
Exclusive: Michael Ackley exposes attempts to control every aspect of citizens' lives

Read more at http://www.wnd.com/2013/08/government-sucs/#d...

A FRESH PERSPECTIVE
ONE NATION UNDER FIRE
Exclusive: Albert Thompson[another GASP Black Human Being American] suggests Obama take a cue from China

Overall, the nation is doing a better job lifting its people out of poverty than Barack Obama’s United States. The gentleman from Chicago should take note.

Read more at http://www.wnd.com/2013/08/one-nation-under-f...
Jay

Springville, TN

#113438 Aug 5, 2013
American Lady wrote:
Tawana Brawley Finally Being Held To Account – 25 years later
Posted on August 4, 2013 by sundance
Meanwhile the man who organized the hoax has a full time TV show on MSNBC and continues his race-baiting enterprises…… Go look up the entire story of *how* Tawana Brawley was handled, and you’ll see how eerily similar it is to Rachel Jeantel….
New York Post - Twenty-five years after accusing an innocent man of rape, Tawana Brawley is finally paying for her lies.
http://theconservativetreehouse.com/2013/08/0...
MORE Great articles here:
http://theconservativetreehouse.com/

Over and out AL. I'll read your stuff tomorrow. That is if these pages aren't blown away by that crackpot who posts a newspaper in every one of her column posts.

Hey, have a glass of wine. I'm hitting the sack, LOL...OMG...alcohol!!!! We must be drunks or something, lmao!!!

Miller Lite maybe?

8D
American Lady

Danville, KY

#113439 Aug 5, 2013
Got to get some
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz's ...

Good Night *Patriots*...
<3
Fox News Is A Joke

Shelbiana, KY

#113443 Aug 5, 2013
American Lady wrote:
GLOBAL INSECURITY
U.S. EMBASSIES NOW CLOSED THROUGH SATURDAY
'Abundance of caution,' not 'indication of a new threat'
(USATODAY)— The U.S. State Department announced that 19 embassies and consulates in the Middle East and Africa will be closed through Saturday, including a small number of additional posts that were not shuttered on Sunday.
Read the full story
Read more at http://www.wnd.com/2013/08/embassies-to-stay-...
The FULL Story ...
State Dept.: 19 overseas posts to remain closed
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2013...
Huuummmm ...
THOUGHT the BIG 0 had 'em
"on the run" ...
Yeah ...
Sure seems so ... uh huh ...
I thought your Bush said Mission Accomplished a long time ago Stupid.

Lmfao

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#113445 Aug 5, 2013
“No man’s life, liberty or property are safe while the Legislature is in session.”
Congressional recess, now is upon us; so we can, for a few weeks, let down our guard and open a cold one.

When next September Congress returns, refreshed, all Hell will (appear to) break loose. There are only 9 legislative days in September, with the end of the fiscal year looming. So … expect it to begin with a portentous swell and staccato rhythm. Cue the 1812 Overture. Forewarned is forearmed so…. consider this post on Topix your "Secret Decoder Ring" for what’s actually going to happen.

Politics, that’s what. There are two political theaters (theaters in both senses of the word) slated for this Fall. One is the debt ceiling fight. The other is repealing Obamacare. The debt ceiling fight will be front and center.

Except… the debt ceiling fight is not really about the debt ceiling.

It’s about the Democrats’ attempt to make the Republicans look bad enough that the Democrats can regain control of the House in 2014.(Statistically, there is little chance of this. But the dreamers at the top of the Democratic Party have a special relationship with reality.)

And the fight over repealing Obamacare is only secondarily about repealing Obamacare.

It’s about the Republicans attempt to wrap that albatross around the Democrats’ necks, making them look bad enough that the Republicans can take control of the Senate in 2014.(The GOP actually has a pretty good chance at this… better even then appeared earlier. Unless, that is, it fumbles the opportunity by failing to execute the elegant strategy mapped out by the shrewd Mitch McConnell. With the GOP’s chronic ineptitude a fumble cannot be ruled out.)
Maybe Rand Paul will have just enough star power to influence the old men is suits to get some real work done...maybe (fingers crossed).

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#113446 Aug 5, 2013
Obama's political ideology is an equivalent of the Brezhnev Doctrine,“what’s mine is mine and what’s yours is up for grabs.”(Didn’t work out particularly well for the Soviet Union), Not likely to work out particularly well for the Democratic Party. Remember the last mid tem elections? Dems lost some Senate Seats...and the balance in Congress was shifted! Look for many more gains this time.
RedHorseRevelati on

AOL

#113447 Aug 5, 2013

Bible PROOF 1.5 BIL MUSLIMS to die ---

http://youtu.be/n7ok0g8iwJI

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#113452 Aug 5, 2013
Crow__ wrote:
Hey RC - welcome back to the asylum. You got RH *all* tore up - she posted a reply to you yesterday, then posted it again twice tonight!
Not "tore up" at all sweetheart. Actually, it takes a great deal to get me "tore up". Just pointing out her continued malicious comments to people which are not necessary.

One of the first things I learned when working in government is tolerance. People do not agree on many issues and you MUST be tolerant of their views. That doesn't mean you let others walk all over you, but you present your views and opinions tactfully. It worked successfully for me for over 30 years. It also assisted me greatly in gaining respect from my employees, peers, and supervisors. Berating and belittling people over their views and opinions indicates no tolerance and garners no level of respect from others.

RepubliCONS

Elizabethtown, KY

#113453 Aug 5, 2013
Republican Honey wrote:
<quoted text>
Not "tore up" at all sweetheart. Actually, it takes a great deal to get me "tore up". Just pointing out her continued malicious comments to people which are not necessary.
One of the first things I learned when working in government is tolerance. People do not agree on many issues and you MUST be tolerant of their views. That doesn't mean you let others walk all over you, but you present your views and opinions tactfully. It worked successfully for me for over 30 years. It also assisted me greatly in gaining respect from my employees, peers, and supervisors. Berating and belittling people over their views and opinions indicates no tolerance and garners no level of respect from others.
After 35 years of being tolerant, I DON'T HAVE TOO be anymore. You obviously condone the Bible verses one minute and the threats or death wishes of your buddies, as well as the filth that comes out of their fake wtf Glasgow Speakup. None of my name calling comes anywhere near the foul bs they spew. You are as bad as them if you condone it while sitting back feeling all superior and self-righteous. I have NO LEVEL OF RESPECT for those you condone and I have none for you as well. You were probably one of those types I had to constantly school for the gov't for violating AR's, labor laws, and worker's rights. You sound just like them. It was okay to do it if they could get away with it or as long as it wasn't done to them. Typical repuke qualities. Quite reading my posts and hang on to every word the Queen Loon spits out. If you can't handle the truth that DEMS are the MAJORITY, the President is a two-termed President trying to make things right the Bush administration left us, and basically by himself then get out and campaign for the GRANDrand or your teabagger of choice. I could careless. I will post and post just as I did when he ran exposing what your two parties you support do to suppress the 99% of Americans. Don't like it, don't read it. GOT THAT!!!

GOP RIP

DITCH MITCH
RepubliCONS

Elizabethtown, KY

#113454 Aug 5, 2013
Inform a Republican: Under Obama, we’re off to our best Private-Sector Job Growth since 1999

Here’s a fact most Republicans won’t want to hear—yet they can’t dispute (just ask Politifact): In the first half of 2013, we’re off to our best private-sector job growth since 1999.

Which is funny, considering all Republicans have told Americans since Obama became President was how awful he’s been for jobs. But then again, as I’ve said plenty of times,“fact” and “Republican” aren’t two words that often go together.

And despite the fact we’ve had this 14-year high in job growth for the first half of the year, Republicans continue to perpetuate this myth that President Obama has been terrible for job growth and “Obamacare” is a “jobs destroyer.”

http://www.forwardprogressives.com/inform-a-r...

DITCH MITCH
RepubliCONS

Elizabethtown, KY

#113455 Aug 5, 2013
CORP GREED at it's best. Where is turtleman and GRANDrand protecting Kentucky's land.

Defiant nuns and monks refuse to give up Kentucky land for gas pipeline

Two Kentucky Catholic religious orders that collectively own more than 3,000 acres of historic farmland are refusing to give up portions of their lands for a proposed natural-gas pipeline that would channel millions of gallons of pressurized, highly flammable natural-gas liquids through the area. According to the Louisville Courier-Journal, the nuns of the Sisters of Loretto and the monks of the Abbey of Gethsemani have denied surveyors permission to survey the land ahead of the pipeline project and say that they have no interest in helping it along.

“We’ve been on this property since 1824,” said Sister Maria Visse, service coordinator for the Sisters of Loretto.“We feel entrusted with this (land). It’s a gift. It’s not a commodity.”

The energy company that hopes to build the pipeline — Williams Co. of Tulsa, Oklahoma — has repeatedly sent representatives and made requests for permission to survey the land, all of which have been summarily denied. The proposed pipeline would run from gas-drilling facilities in Pennsylvania to the coast of the Gulf of Mexico, impacting 18 counties in Kentucky.

Visse told the Courier that she turned down the Williams Co.’s proposal to use the sisters’ and the monks’ land on the spot and without a second thought.

“This is just short-term money that has very dangerous potential long-term consequences,” Visse said. She worries about the impact of water pollution on the porous limestone bedrock upon which the community resides.

Brother Aaron Schulte of the Abbey of Gethsemani confirmed to the Courier that the abbey had been approached by the pipeline company, but declined to give an interview to the paper. The Trappist monks own about 2,500 acres of property, including the grounds of the monastery, a guest house and hundreds of acres of pristine woods.

Sister Claire McGowan, a Dominican nun and director of the New Pioneers for a Sustainable Future in Springfield, KY, said the project “would risk much of what makes Central Kentucky dear to us: the beauty of our landscape, the abundance of good water, the health of our air, the peaceful quietness of our rural areas, and the general sense of security from unexpected disasters.”

Williams Co. spokesperson Tom Droege told the Courier that he couldn’t talk about his dealings with specific landowners along the pipeline’s proposed route. He said the company plans to hold a series of open houses in communities that would be affected by the pipeline.

“With each landowner we approach,” he said,“we pledge to be a respectful guest on their land and ensure they are well informed about what activities are taking place.”

Williams Co. is currently struggling to bring one of its Gulf coast ethylene plants back online after a deadly explosion on June 13. The Geismar Olefins plant in Louisiana had been plagued with safety violations prior to the propylene explosion that killed two workers and injured 77 others.

Six months before the incident, inspectors had noted the propylene leak that caused the explosion at Geismar Olefins, but plant managers failed to take any action. The company said that it hopes to have the damage repaired and the plant back online by April of 2014.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/08/02/defiant...

WOMAN POWER, even the NUNS. Love the comments from out of staters, be sure and read them.

jic414 fibergurl
These nuns and monks are far from liberal. You don't have to be a "liberal" to care about the environment. Christianity calls for us to be protectors of the earth as it was entrusted to us by God. It isn't "liberal" values that are the reason they make a stand. It's their Christian ones.

Jess Manuel
Enter : Sen. Rand Paul & Mitch McConnell on behalf of dirty oil corporations.

DITCH MITCH
RepubliCONS

Elizabethtown, KY

#113456 Aug 5, 2013
"In addition to his prostitute scandal which far outdid anything Anthony Weiner or any other member of Congress has been involved in since, he had the unmitigated gall to vote against bills like requiring TRICARE to expand coverage for autism.
He’s also voted against keeping student loan rates from going up, for an amendment to defund the Affordable Care Act, etc. One look at his overall voting record will show you how he is morally bankrupt not just personally, but politically as well."

Morally bankrupt Sen. David Vitter tries to deny funds to Detroit which haven’t even been requested
It’s no secret that as a former Republican there is little love lost between me and the party. Some are just greedy, union-busting corporate puppets like Chris Christie or Scott Walker, others are just religious-right driven nuts like Rick Perry or Rick Santorum.

And then there’s Louisiana’s own Senator David Vitter.

Let me tell you what kind of scumbucket this guy is. In addition to his prostitute scandal which far outdid anything Anthony Weiner or any other member of Congress has been involved in since, he had the unmitigated gall to vote against bills like requiring TRICARE to expand coverage for autism. He’s also voted against keeping student loan rates from going up, for an amendment to defund the Affordable Care Act, etc. One look at his overall voting record will show you how he is morally bankrupt not just personally, but politically as well.

Thursday, David Vitter once again proved what a partisan sleazebag he really is by attempting to introduce a bill that would have prohibited the Federal bailout of any state or local government that was in financial distress, like Detroit currently is. Detroit has not asked for a bailout, but that didn’t stop the guy who represents a state that pays far less into the Federal government in taxes than it receives, from trying to preemptively score some political points with the tea party wing of the GOP.

“When you look at situations like Detroit – the largest ever municipal bankruptcy – and when you look at our fiscal situation in Washington at the federal level, it’s clear that this bar against bailing out state and local government is very, very much needed,” Senator Vitter explained.

This is the same Senator who begged Washington for help after Katrina and requests Federal money every chance he gets for Louisiana projects, yet he has the nerve to try to deny money that hasn’t even been requested yet and may not even be requested at all?

For those of you who don’t have to face the embarrassment of having this moral and fiscal hypocrite represent your state, consider yourself lucky. Barring some scandal or other event that forces him from office, we are stuck with David Vitter until at least 2016.

http://www.forwardprogressives.com/morally-ba...

AMERICANS don't want to let an entire city die, apparently Congress does. RIP GOP

DITCH MITCH

“Heaven doesn't want me.”

Since: Jul 13

Hell's afraid I'll take over.

#113457 Aug 5, 2013
Republican Honey wrote:
<quoted text>
I wasn't berating or belittling your views, RH. Actually, although I seldom agree with them, your posts are well written and I can appreciate that. I just noticed that you'd posted the same thing three times - I found it funny, you did not. Fair enough.

I'm glad you're around, because I wanted to point out a couple of discrepancies in the Forbes article you posted about the Gini Index. There are huge spikes in the Index during the Reagan years, as well as Bush the Elder's administration. The stats can be found on the Census Bureau's website, and there are illustrative graphs as well.
RepubliCONS

Elizabethtown, KY

#113459 Aug 5, 2013
Southern Liberals, Don’t Despair — It’s Always Darkest Just Before the Dawn

It’s been a long, hard road for liberals and progressives in the Bible Belt and the rest of the red states. Year after year, we’ve watched our family and neighbors slap GOP stickers on their vehicles and head to the polls to vote against their self interests like mindless, racist drones.

For those of you who have followed my page “Whiskey and the Morning After,” you’re familiar with the fact that I have lived in the South all of my life and that I am also an ex-Republican.

Being a moderate left progressive here isn’t easy. I’ve had to endure vandalism to my vehicle for having an anti-Bush sticker on it and even threats of physical violence simply for not being a conservative. As much as I’ve dreamed of picking up and moving to the friendlier atmosphere of a city like San Francisco, Seattle or another bastion of liberalism, it hasn’t worked out that way.

But here’s the good news for everyone else who has had to deal with the reality of being a liberal in the South - it’s going to get better. Almost every medium to large city here already votes blue in major elections and the tide is slowly turning against conservatism nationwide. Much of the demographic that turns out to vote every year for the Republican Party is slowly dying off. The younger generations may have been born into and indoctrinated with conservative ideology like I was, but with access to the Internet and ideas outside of the small towns we grew up in, that ideology can be traded for something new.

Even many of those people who have clung to the idea that Reagan was a monument of conservatism have begun to accept basic liberal ideas such as equal rights for the LGBT community, or have simply decided to mind their own business. Others have signed up for military service and gone off to Afghanistan and Iraq, only to find that watching their friends get wounded or die wasn’t worth the price in blood and money that funded the military-industrial complex.

Continued:

DITCH MITCH
RepubliCONS

Elizabethtown, KY

#113460 Aug 5, 2013
continued:

Myself and others saw our friends come back from Iraq and Afghanistan as shells of the men and women who enlisted in response to the Al-Qaeda attacks on 9/11. I remember one friend who we had to repeatedly keep from attacking random people he thought were carrying suicide vests and would only calm down after blacking out from too much alcohol. Another one came home as a shattered alcoholic and hung himself in his mother’s closet on Thanksgiving Day in 2005.

Trust me, the South is slowly starting to grasp the big picture. The process seems slow - many still have not come to the realization that trickle-down economics doesn’t work or that shopping at Wal-Mart only encourages the overall degradation of their communities – but progress is being made. As future generations are born, immigrants arrive and the angry old Dixiecrats die off, the South will turn from red to purple – and eventually blue. We can look at Florida, Colorado, Virginia and North Carolina as examples of states that are about to flip to solidly blue within another decade. Georgia, Arizona and Texas will be there within about 20 years and the rest will follow suit. Look at the “Moral Mondays” movement in North Carolina and the rise of liberal Christianity. The tide is turning – now is not the time to write off the South as forever doomed to being the dead weight that holds us back as a nation.

Know the recent news of the incredibly backwards laws passed by Texas and other states to suppress women’s reproductive rights and voting access makes it seem like the Republican Party still has a stranglehold on power throughout the South.

However, these are the acts of a desperate bunch to hold on to control for just a little while longer. They wouldn’t be trying to keep people from voting if their ideas were that great for their constituents.

So, Southern liberals, don’t despair. As the saying goes,“it’s always darkest just before the dawn.”

http://www.forwardprogressives.com/southern-l...

The big WAKEUP has begun. Turning red states to BLUE states with each election. Stay tuned. RIP GOP

DITCH MITCH

“Heaven doesn't want me.”

Since: Jul 13

Hell's afraid I'll take over.

#113461 Aug 5, 2013
RepubliCONS wrote:
CORP GREED at it's best. Where is turtleman and GRANDrand protecting Kentucky's land.
Defiant nuns and monks refuse to give up Kentucky land for gas pipeline
Two Kentucky Catholic religious orders that collectively own more than 3,000 acres of historic farmland are refusing to give up portions of their lands for a proposed natural-gas pipeline that would channel millions of gallons of pressurized, highly flammable natural-gas liquids through the area. According to the Louisville Courier-Journal, the nuns of the Sisters of Loretto and the monks of the Abbey of Gethsemani have denied surveyors permission to survey the land ahead of the pipeline project and say that they have no interest in helping it along.
“We’ve been on this property since 1824,” said Sister Maria Visse, service coordinator for the Sisters of Loretto.“We feel entrusted with this (land). It’s a gift. It’s not a commodity.”
The energy company that hopes to build the pipeline — Williams Co. of Tulsa, Oklahoma — has repeatedly sent representatives and made requests for permission to survey the land, all of which have been summarily denied. The proposed pipeline would run from gas-drilling facilities in Pennsylvania to the coast of the Gulf of Mexico, impacting 18 counties in Kentucky.
Visse told the Courier that she turned down the Williams Co.’s proposal to use the sisters’ and the monks’ land on the spot and without a second thought.
“This is just short-term money that has very dangerous potential long-term consequences,” Visse said. She worries about the impact of water pollution on the porous limestone bedrock upon which the community resides.
Brother Aaron Schulte of the Abbey of Gethsemani confirmed to the Courier that the abbey had been approached by the pipeline company, but declined to give an interview to the paper. The Trappist monks own about 2,500 acres of property, including the grounds of the monastery, a guest house and hundreds of acres of pristine woods.
Sister Claire McGowan, a Dominican nun and director of the New Pioneers for a Sustainable Future in Springfield, KY, said the project “would risk much of what makes Central Kentucky dear to us: the beauty of our landscape, the abundance of good water, the health of our air, the peaceful quietness of our rural areas, and the general sense of security from unexpected disasters.”
Williams Co. spokesperson Tom Droege told the Courier that he couldn’t talk about his dealings with specific landowners along the pipeline’s proposed route. He said the company plans to hold a series of open houses in communities that would be affected by the pipeline.
“With each landowner we approach,” he said,“we pledge to be a respectful guest on their land and ensure they are well informed about what activities are taking place.”
Williams Co. is currently struggling to bring one of its Gulf coast ethylene plants back online after a deadly explosion on June 13. The Geismar Olefins plant in Louisiana had been plagued with safety violations prior to the propylene explosion that killed two workers and injured 77 others.
Six months before the incident, inspectors had noted the propylene leak that caused the explosion at Geismar Olefins, but plant managers failed to take any action. The company said that it hopes to have the damage repaired and the plant back online by April of 2014.
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/08/02/defiant...
Love the comments from out of staters, be sure and read them.
DITCH MITCH
Afternoon, RC. Good for the Brothers and Sisters! I can't believe the nerve of Williams. That's a beautiful, pristine part of the state, not to mention the Merton connection. With an abysmal safety record like Williams, it makes you wonder how many officials they've paid off to be able to even stay in business.

Since Mamaw and the Runt won't lift a finger to help, it will be up to folks like us to make some noise. I'm in.
RepubliCONS

Elizabethtown, KY

#113462 Aug 5, 2013
Year after year, we’ve watched our family and neighbors slap GOP stickers on their vehicles and head to the polls to vote against their self interests like mindless, racist drones.

Much of the demographic that turns out to vote every year for the Republican Party is slowly dying off. The younger generations may have been born into and indoctrinated with conservative ideology like I was, but with access to the Internet and ideas outside of the small towns we grew up in, that ideology can be traded for something new.

Trust me, the South is slowly starting to grasp the big picture.

However, these are the acts of a desperate bunch to hold on to control for just a little while longer. They wouldn’t be trying to keep people from voting if their ideas were that great for their constituents.

So, Southern liberals, don’t despair. As the saying goes,“it’s always darkest just before the dawn.”

The best parts of that article that stand out beside the military scars of WAR.

DITCH MITCH
RepubliCONS

Elizabethtown, KY

#113463 Aug 5, 2013
Crow__ wrote:
<quoted text>
Afternoon, RC. Good for the Brothers and Sisters! I can't believe the nerve of Williams. That's a beautiful, pristine part of the state, not to mention the Merton connection. With an abysmal safety record like Williams, it makes you wonder how many officials they've paid off to be able to even stay in business.
Since Mamaw and the Runt won't lift a finger to help, it will be up to folks like us to make some noise. I'm in.
The damage done to Eastern Ky from greedy coal companies should be an example of the damage done to our beautiful state already. I will certainly sign petitions and write our "do nothing" Congressman. Maybe John Yarmouth has something to say about it. I will have to research that. I know the southern part of Hardin County outside Fort Knox are concerned. Might have to participate in some rallies, sit-ins etc...to do my part. Just another way of ripping up our country to send oil from Canada to China. Bottom line. Like that one poster said...it reeks of BIG CORPS and McCONnell and GRANDrand $$$$$$$$$$

Leave our beautiful state alone.

RIP GOP

DITCH MITCH
RepubliCONS

Elizabethtown, KY

#113464 Aug 5, 2013
Another take on the showdown at Fancy Farm..

Fancy Farm shows that McCONnell is in for a fight

FANCY FARM — After a tough month, Senate Minority Leader Mitch McCONnell found out Saturday that his life could be getting a lot tougher.

More than a year before McCONnell faces re-election in November 2014, he shared the stage at the 133rd annual Fancy Farm Picnic with two viable, articulate challengers: Secretary of State Alison Lundergan Grimes of Lexington, a Democrat, and Republican businessman Matt Bevin of Louisville.

It was their first face-to-face meeting, and probably their only one until next year's Fancy Farm Picnic.

Democratic activists were more numerous and enthusiastic than I have seen them at Fancy Farm in years. Bevin had only a small group of supporters here, but he has support among Tea Party activists.

McCONnell, Kentucky's longest-serving senator, was his usual calm, assured self, arriving just before the program started and leaving the stage before Bevin and Ed Marksberry of Owensboro, another Democratic challenger, spoke.

McCONnell's appearance came after a tough month, including the embarrassment of having fellow Republican senators go around him to cut a deal with Democrats on confirmation of several Obama nominees to block changes in filibuster rules that McCONnell has used to create gridlock in the Senate.

McCONnell tried to frame his re-election as essential to stopping the "Obama agenda" — specifically health care reform and the administration's crackdown on environmentally destructive coal-mining practices.

"We're not just choosing who's going to represent Kentucky in the Senate," he said. "We're going to decide who's going to run the Senate."

What he didn't do was cite accomplishments, other than obstructing Obama and joining other Republicans in opposing an Army Corps of Engineers effort to restrict boating and fishing below Cumberland River dams.

Bevin seized on McCONnell's lack of positive accomplishment, which could be a potent weapon in the hands of a smart Republican challenger.

"Mitch McCONnell is known as mud-slinging Mitch, because the only thing he has to run on is destroying other people," Bevin said. "There is nothing in his 30-year history of voting that he's proud enough of to actually run on."

Attacking him from the right, Bevin accused McCONnell of being too timid in opposing Obama's health-care law. "Be a man, stand up and put your money where your mouth is," he taunted.

Continued:

DITCH MITCH

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lexington-Fayette Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
my story 25 min Pearly M 5
Malone's Hamburg 32 min meatsnake 4
Another go-fund me !! Crazy!! 33 min MoneyBags 5
Need somone to get my wife pregnant (Jul '12) 56 min texokie 30
Help with different ways to get hired by Toyota 1 hr Wishful 11
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 1 hr Don Barros Serrano 149,000
Politician Accused of Raping 13 year old 3 hr language 2

Lexington-Fayette Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Lexington-Fayette Mortgages