First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Heather Slone

Ransom, KY

#1 Sep 16, 2009
Hi, im a senior at pike county central high school

I'm interested in attending spencerian college

I just need details like what does everyone think about it and how much is tuition,
are there dorms, can i live in an apartment

how many years are there programs
(etc.)

give me whatever info u got
Dontdoit

Louisville, KY

#2 Sep 16, 2009
If you ever plan on going to a real college do not waste your time and money going to this school because most classes are not recognized at real colleges.
zombie

Fairborn, OH

#3 Sep 17, 2009
I've got a friend in Louisville that goes to Spencerian. He likes it. You should look for thier website or call them directly. Tuition would probably depend on what you are taking.
Ivory Lotus

Louisville, KY

#4 Sep 17, 2009
Tuition is fairly pricey. As a poster above stated, the school is not ABET acreditted so transferring credits to another school will never happen.

Also, the claim to have a job placement service. Although this is true, I graduated at the top of my class and they never found a job for me.

The upside is the courses are accelerated so you're in and out in no time.
kygirl

Lexington, KY

#5 Sep 17, 2009
i go to spencerian, the only reason i returned to finish up cause none of credit would transfer anywhere. at the time i first enrolled i thought they would cause they said they were acceditted. i called EKU and LCC,and i would have to start all over again. go to a state college like morehead, eku, or uk. you are better off. good luck.
Yomama

Lexington, KY

#6 Sep 17, 2009
A community college is even better, at least the credits would transfer.
kyguy

AOL

#7 Sep 17, 2009
If you are planning on attending a college, why not come to berea college, you can join the class and work on campus to pay for the tution, Berea college is maininly for the appliciana people and they are a good place to go, and it is very quite in town too. but whatever you do, do not go to the national college of business, that one is a big time scam, My wife went their for 1 and 1/2 year and she still unemploye and that left me with a high tution to pay back. so either go to berea college, eku, or uk but not a small private college such as national college of business, spenerian, the bluegrass tech college is okay, and they have a lot of program and it is afforadabe and you can apply for the pell grant to pay for going to college also.
Heather Slone

Ransom, KY

#8 Sep 17, 2009
thx guys
i really was concidering spencerian
but i think i might look at EKU

i really wanted a college that i could get in and get out fast

and just take classes for graphic design

i didnt want to have to take pointless classes like biology or english
ky guy

AOL

#9 Sep 20, 2009
Heather Slone wrote:
thx guys
i really was concidering spencerian
but i think i might look at EKU
i really wanted a college that i could get in and get out fast
and just take classes for graphic design
i didnt want to have to take pointless classes like biology or english
if you want to go to college where it will be quicker and not a 4 year course, then check the website call http://www.bluegrass.kctcs.edu/ This are the one i would go too, if i was gonna go to college, they are cheaper than the universitiy college and they have all kind of program you can do. why not check it out and see what you think of it?. you can decide what you want and where to go. it is left up to you.
CC is a great Choice

Richmond, KY

#10 Sep 22, 2009
-Your credits will transfer if you decide to seek a degree
-You don't *have* to take any classes you don't want to unless there are prerequisites, and sometimes you can get those waived.
-CC is FAR cheaper than standard university
Many sites in the KCTCS system offer the same programs found at Spencerian/National college.
Prestonsburg CC- attended 1 year and got a good education
zombie

Fairborn, OH

#11 Sep 22, 2009
Heather - If you are serious about graphic design then look at The Art Institute. I think the closest one to you is probably Cincinatti. There is also one in Pittsburgh. It is a great school. Go to www.artinstitutes.edu They will send you info by mail. Seriously if that's what my kid wanted to study that's where I'd send them.
Michael Long

Louisville, KY

#12 Sep 22, 2009
Just to let you know, Spencerian is accredited by ACICS ( www.acics.org ). I have been told that students have been able to transfer classes into Morehead State University, Eastern Kentucky University, and the University of Kentucky, among others.
No school is for everyone but some are better than others in meeting your goals.

Michael Long
Public Relations Intern
Sullivan University System
Adam

North Middletown, KY

#13 Sep 22, 2009
I still owe 10k to spencerian after I have paid around 12k I attended spencerian for about a year and a half. They told me I might be able to get a job making as much as 30k a year when I finished. Dont let them fool you its not as easy as you think to get a job with a spencerian diploma. I work for at&t now (which my spencerian education did not help me whatsoever because I only have 53 credit hours that are not transferable.) Short version go to EKU, UK or a smaller community college. DO NOT waste your time or money at spencerian I PROMISE YOU WILL REGRET IT!!!
Transferability

Richmond, KY

#14 Sep 22, 2009
Michael, you are doing people a disservice as a PR student by using rhetorical statements like "I Have Been Told." Are you seriously a representative of Sullivan University? Are you a Sullivan student or are you getting a PR degree from another institution? Who specifically in your organization told you credits would transfer? Do you have reciprocal supporting information from these other institutions?
The truth is that whether or not credits will transfer (much less count toward a degree) is a highly individualized issue that depends on several factors. Moreover, very few credits will transfer from schools that in this area are not accredited from the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools.
I have nothing against Spencerian and other schools except that they prey upon peoples' ignorance and lack of desire to take English 101 and 102 and charge them as much for a year as one might reasonably spend in three years or more at a community or technical college.
Check out the following websites for more information about transfer students and CALL to speak to a professional for more information:
http://www.advising.eku.edu/transferstudents/
http://www.kctcs.edu/Students/Transfer/KCTCS_...
http://acampus21.moreheadstate.edu/prospectiv...
BTW The Art Institutes has a really good national reputation. They cost a lot, but you'll get current skills. This is the one exception. If you want to be a radiology technician for example, go to community college, not Spencerian.
kygirl

Gray, KY

#15 Sep 22, 2009
Michael Long wrote:
Just to let you know, Spencerian is accredited by ACICS ( www.acics.org ). I have been told that students have been able to transfer classes into Morehead State University, Eastern Kentucky University, and the University of Kentucky, among others.
No school is for everyone but some are better than others in meeting your goals.
Michael Long
Public Relations Intern
i tried going to lcc and eku after i graduated from one program from spencerian. they said no as many other student i know has tried as well. only ppl will take spencerian credit is national. DON"T GO TO NATIONAL EITHER!!! I KNOW PPL THAT HAVE GONE THERE.

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

#16 Mar 26, 2010
zombie wrote:
Heather - If you are serious about graphic design then look at The Art Institute. I think the closest one to you is probably Cincinatti. There is also one in Pittsburgh. It is a great school. Go to www.artinstitutes.edu They will send you info by mail. Seriously if that's what my kid wanted to study that's where I'd send them.
Yeah, the Art Institute might be a good choice...IF you want to spend $80,000 - 90,000 on a bachelors degree, seriously.
Beware

Lawrenceburg, KY

#17 Mar 26, 2010
Michael Long wrote:
Michael Long
Public Relations Intern
No, students will NOT be able to transfer their credits that they have from Spencerian College to ANY of the schools you listed. Both Spencerian College and Sullivan University are not even recognized by these schools. I went to Spencerian College for two years and earned an Associates degree. I was sold into a big scam, just as everyone else that I attended school with. They sell you into it claiming that you will be making $30,000 and up starting out after college. They also tell you that they have a G.E.S. department (Graduate Employment Services) that will help find you a job once you graduate.

First let me say that once I started school and had already taken out my loans, I was on the hook. I checked in to transferring to another school, and every school I looked into laughed and told me that they don't accept Spencerian College's credits. The teachers at this school aren't that great, most go by the book and don't even seem like they know the course material their self. Everything I learned there I basically taught myself with my over priced textbooks. If I knew what I was getting into I would have saved myself a lot of time and money.

Second, the G.E.S. department that is supposed to help graduates find employment in their field is a JOKE. I signed up with them and they offered me jobs at McDonalds, Lowes, and other places just like this. They told me they couldn't find anything in my field at the time. Everyone that I graduated with from the graphic design program (which was about 20 people I knew) not a single one is working in their field. They couldn't find work because 1. they weren't educated well enough at this half ass school, and 2. nobody wants to hire a Spencerian College graduate. Having a degree from there is useless.

Spencerian College is a HUGE SCAM. They sell you on it when they give you a tour of the campus. They claim that you will make good money when you graduate and that they will help place you in a job. I wasted two years of my life and now I'm in a lot of debt for a piece of paper that has gotten me NO WHERE. I worked hard and have a solid portfolio, but it doesn't matter because almost 99% of graphic design jobs you find want a BACHELORS degree and not an associates. Since I have been out of Spencerian for several years, I have found a few graphic design jobs but they have always been either temporary or part-time and the pay has been horrible. Don't expect to make $30k graduating from here. The most I EVER got paid at a design job was $12 an hour.

If you're looking into doing graphic design, I'm not trying to discourage you. Do it...but be wise where you go to get your education. A very good school that has an excellent design program is Western Kentucky University. You can get a Bachelors degree from there in Graphic Design for the price you will pay for an Associates Degree from Spencerian College. Also, don't expect to find work easily. Kentucky is one of the worst places to try and find a graphic design job. To find work doing what you want in this field you'll need to move to a bigger city such as Chicago, New York, or somewhere similar. I hope this helps. I just hate to see another person get sucked into their scam.
Sullivan Grad

Lexington, KY

#18 Mar 27, 2010
Beware- I agree with almost everything that you said, however, Sullivan University is a SACS accredited school and regonized by all colleges and universities within SACS. The funny thing is the Sullivan System owns Spencerian and won't accept their credits. This should be a red flag for any student looking at Spencerian.

Heather- Spencerian is a for-profit, private college and does not offer traditional dorms. They do offer off capmus housing at a rate that is way over market value. I would look at a community college or a 4 year closer to home.

Michael- Does President Sullivan know that you are posting on these forums? I would seriously think about clearing all communications with Dr. Coppock or Dr.Harter.
Umm

United States

#19 Mar 27, 2010
It's no Yale. What more do you need?
YEP

Lexington, KY

#20 Mar 28, 2010
Sullivan credits do transfer, but the problems occur when you look at the credit hours. Four credit hours at Sullivan is equal to 2.87 (something like that)hrs at U.K. This school is way to costly, but I have enjoyed my education. Being active at school helps with job placement. I attend the Lexington Sullivan Campus, and YES I do know people that have been successful with job placement. Spencerian College?? I don't know why people waste their time. You will go NOWHERE there!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lexington-Fayette Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
neighbor with blinds open? 3 min The Lady 10
Apartment 6 min Bone 5
Prove yourself 24 min worthless 36
Tiffanie silvers and Robert is a queery 29 min Lindsay 6
Mandi on backpage 30 min t to the y ler 1
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 33 min Patriot 148,849
Tim Barnes???? (Aug '10) 52 min SierraBarnes 7
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Lexington-Fayette Mortgages