Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

There are 81675 comments on the The Cincinnati Enquirer story from Jan 5, 2011, titled Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.. In it, The Cincinnati Enquirer reports that:

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Cincinnati Enquirer.

Mississippi Man

Olive Branch, MS

#95100 Dec 28, 2013
@ Miss E & Misty.....this is related to ya all's post about pix of early, hard work'n woman and about our recent talks on ancestors. After our Father's passing all eight of us sat around the old kitchen table (I don't like this) and we mixed boxes and boxes of old pictures until we came up evenly at random with eight, then drew numbers that matched the box. I'm, of course, glad to have mine but I have no idea who 95% of them are. But your descriptions so reminded me of these pictures, the weathered facial expressions, tightly pulled back hair and,.....oh, those styles of clothes on the women and men! Maybe they'll come back.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#95101 Dec 28, 2013
Mississippi Man wrote:
Kentucky,.....Ky,....seems like several years ago I happened across a bit of news, I think, having to do with the town or county Harlan. It was about an event called Poke Sallet Festival. I have no idea if any of you live near there but I'll be willing to bet that that is really one shin-dig!
Kentucky,.....Ky,......as we now know, pronounce and spell Kentucky, that is not how the original word was pronounced by the Indians. Each and all the tribes would NOT lay claim to the entire area. Any idea why?.........and how did they say the word?(I know Wolf is gonna put me down.)
Kentucky,......Ky,.....since I recently had to give about 30% of my home-made library away because of space (or lack of it), I've reread Alex Stewart, the four Foxfire Books, Mandingo and am now back into a book about Simon Kenton. He was certainly an early day hero of your state and did rival Daniel Boone and Crockett. He saved Boone's life one time while in amongst an Indian fight. That was when men were men for sure!
Poke Sallet or poke salat festivals... there are numerous Youtube videos of that shindig in Harlan County. My mom was born in the town of Lynch, a town totally owned by a subsidiary of U.S. Steel that acquired all the coal from that region.

Kentucky.. the origin on the name is not really known and it is not a combination of cane and turkey. It is said that the Cherokee "Dragging Canoe" told the whites that they would be getting a "dark and bloody ground" and it is assumed that the name derives from that, but it does not.
smile

Murray, KY

#95102 Dec 29, 2013
Yes
Anne

Paris, TN

#95104 Dec 29, 2013
Whew. A chance to sit and relax...!
Hello to everyone of you good people! AW, that story about the "zolli" tree was interesting. Wonder why the little girl felt led to put a wreath around the zolli tree?
Back in our Kentucky days my better half would never miss watching a UK game but since leaving the Ohio River Valley (between KY and IN) we have discovered that other areas hardly even notice if ANY basketball game is being played. Go figure. Lol
I think there are two hens popping out those eggs now!! I think the heat lamp is not only keeping the water from freezing but encouraging the ladies to lay those eggs!!
Have a wonderful Sunday afternoon!
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#95105 Dec 29, 2013
Anne wrote:
Whew. A chance to sit and relax...!
Hello to everyone of you good people! AW, that story about the "zolli" tree was interesting. Wonder why the little girl felt led to put a wreath around the zolli tree?
Back in our Kentucky days my better half would never miss watching a UK game but since leaving the Ohio River Valley (between KY and IN) we have discovered that other areas hardly even notice if ANY basketball game is being played. Go figure. Lol
I think there are two hens popping out those eggs now!! I think the heat lamp is not only keeping the water from freezing but encouraging the ladies to lay those eggs!!
Have a wonderful Sunday afternoon!
My guess is that the little girl knew that the Confederate graves and the oak tree (where General Zollicoffer had fallen), had gone unmarked and unhonored for 40 years and just took it upon herself to do so.

I am happy that your heat lamp over the chicken water is working for you. Yes, your hens will start laying better when the light is on. Even when warmer weather returns, I will keep a light on but just with lower watts and not necessarily over the water.

Have a good Sunday. I will be off soon to attend a Gospel singing of worship and praise. Any month that has 5 Sundays, the 5th Sunday night contains no preaching, but different individuals sing special selections. Some singers are quite good, while others make for a good time to go to the restroom. LOL But I have to give them an "A" for effort.
Anne

Versailles, IN

#95106 Dec 29, 2013
Mississippi Man wrote:
@ Miss E & Misty.....this is related to ya all's post about pix of early, hard work'n woman and about our recent talks on ancestors. After our Father's passing all eight of us sat around the old kitchen table (I don't like this) and we mixed boxes and boxes of old pictures until we came up evenly at random with eight, then drew numbers that matched the box. I'm, of course, glad to have mine but I have no idea who 95% of them are. But your descriptions so reminded me of these pictures, the weathered facial expressions, tightly pulled back hair and,.....oh, those styles of clothes on the women and men! Maybe they'll come back.
Several years after my mother in law has passed, the family pics had still not been sorted out. One year around thanksgiving I went out to my sister in laws and we sat on the floor and sorted. First, pics where a particular kid was prominent, then family group pics were put in a pile, turned over and dealt out like cards. The last group were cousins, aunts etc. If one of the siblings had been particularly close to an aunt or cousin then we put that pic in his/her pile. The rest? Stacked, turned backside up and,again, dealt out like cards. Each siblings stack was boxed, gift wrapped and presented at the family Christmas dinner. Swapping was permitted and anyone could make copies of any pic they wanted. The afternoon was spent talking of old times and people from their past. A dreaded chore was turned into a wonderful time!
qwerty

Luck, WI

#95107 Dec 29, 2013
Mississippi Man wrote:
<quoted text>
"SPORTS....???..!" ....I'm outa here!
Same here. How anyone can spend the weekend watching e v e r y ball game on TV is beyond me.
Ancient Wolf

Nicholasville, KY

#95108 Dec 29, 2013
qwerty wrote:
<quoted text>
Same here. How anyone can spend the weekend watching e v e r y ball game on TV is beyond me.
To me, Sports is like women.... if you can't participate, why watch? LOL

Since: Oct 13

Location hidden

#95109 Dec 29, 2013
scary wrote:
New Madrid earthquake getting ready to happen. Look it up.
yessirreebob
Mississippi Man

Olive Branch, MS

#95110 Dec 29, 2013
@ Wolf.......hey, thanks for the tip on poke sallet festivals. When I get done with this, I'll sure do a search.

Ya know, I wish that I could remember a lot more than I do of what I read. Looking back now, I guess I was that way in school as well. But anyhow, this "very" intent writer named Allan W. Eckert wrote six healthy, very thick books on early American history. I say six but only because I still have those that I had gotten back when. His writing is nothing like school history books. It's so gripping and attaches itself to my brain that there's no laying it down. Oh, and one of the books is a close kinship to your above statement but it's "That Dark And Bloody River." Now, I said all of that to say that "I think" I got this from him in one of those books. Kan - tuk - ee', by the Indians, was supposed to mean a land so burdened with every kind of wild life for their survival that they all agreed to not claim it as their own territory so that all could hunt there. Of course, in those God given days, there were no Ky. boundaries. And .....there was no English or French to cause discontent among the tribes.

One other thing, just what was it that your Grandpa grew and harvested along ..."the river?" Hemp, maybe? I think, as you said, rope was made of this but I didn't know the government bought it. Did it have sort of a wheat characteristic to it?
Mississippi Man

Olive Branch, MS

#95111 Dec 29, 2013
@ Miss E........well, I swallowed two capsules of cinnamon and drank that Mother - Vinegar for two weeks........with no change in blood sugar count. Enough!........I guess.
Anne

Versailles, IN

#95112 Dec 29, 2013
Around 15 years ago a few farmers in the KY county i lived were growing experimental hemp crops. Hemp had been a commercial crop in that general area many many years before and it had been quite successful. However just a few weeks ago I came across a news article saying that hemp was not going to become a major KY crop as it had been in the past. I just glimpsed the article in passing and didnt have time to read the reasons why.
qwerty

Luck, WI

#95113 Dec 29, 2013
mule train ......yes dear
http://youtu.be/1qanSuc74Lk
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#95114 Dec 30, 2013
Mississippi Man wrote:
@ Wolf.......hey, thanks for the tip on poke sallet festivals. When I get done with this, I'll sure do a search.
Ya know, I wish that I could remember a lot more than I do of what I read. Looking back now, I guess I was that way in school as well. But anyhow, this "very" intent writer named Allan W. Eckert wrote six healthy, very thick books on early American history. I say six but only because I still have those that I had gotten back when. His writing is nothing like school history books. It's so gripping and attaches itself to my brain that there's no laying it down. Oh, and one of the books is a close kinship to your above statement but it's "That Dark And Bloody River." Now, I said all of that to say that "I think" I got this from him in one of those books. Kan - tuk - ee', by the Indians, was supposed to mean a land so burdened with every kind of wild life for their survival that they all agreed to not claim it as their own territory so that all could hunt there. Of course, in those God given days, there were no Ky. boundaries. And .....there was no English or French to cause discontent among the tribes.
One other thing, just what was it that your Grandpa grew and harvested along ..."the river?" Hemp, maybe? I think, as you said, rope was made of this but I didn't know the government bought it. Did it have sort of a wheat characteristic to it?
You are right on the spelling of Kentucky's name. The Mohawks, Iriquois, Cherokee, and others used Kentucky as a common area for game. It was only when Daniel Boone (Boonesboro) and James Harrod (Harrodsburg) and Benjamin Logan (Logan's Fort, now Stanford) all began to build communties and clear the ground near the confluence of the Kentucky and Dix (formerly Dick's) Rivers that discontent erupted. The whites settled near those rivers so that goods could be transported down river to meet up with the Ohio River and ultimately with the Mississippi and on to New Orleans by flat boats or rafts.(Incidentally, the nearby town of Danville is where the Kentucky Constitution was established and the first governor elected. It is also where Ephraim McDowell performed the first surgery on Jane Todd Crawford). Kentucky was origimally a part of Virginia.

Abraham Lincoln was quoted as saying that he hoped GOD would be on his side, but he must have Kentucky. And that was primarily due to the rivers and besides the aforementioned, there were the Salt, Licking, Cumberland, and Tennesse rivers.. just a complete network of rivers for transporting war goods.

My little homestead lies in a triangle area near the Kentucky and Dix rivers and my ancestor came here around 1790 from Virginia. His grandfather came from Ireland and died in Virginia 33 years prior to the American Revolution. It was along the Dix that my grandfather raised hemp that still grows wild. I see helicopters almost daily flying in those areas looking for illegal cultivation. The hemp looks about the same as marijuana and was harvested much like tobacco. and was bought by the government since it could be entertwined to make big ropes for ships, that eventually became obsolete with oil based products such as nylon and rayon.
Passing Through

Tazewell, TN

#95115 Dec 30, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>
You are right on the spelling of Kentucky's name. The Mohawks, Iriquois, Cherokee, and others used Kentucky as a common area for game. It was only when Daniel Boone (Boonesboro) and James Harrod (Harrodsburg) and Benjamin Logan (Logan's Fort, now Stanford) all began to build communties and clear the ground near the confluence of the Kentucky and Dix (formerly Dick's) Rivers that discontent erupted. The whites settled near those rivers so that goods could be transported down river to meet up with the Ohio River and ultimately with the Mississippi and on to New Orleans by flat boats or rafts.(Incidentally, the nearby town of Danville is where the Kentucky Constitution was established and the first governor elected. It is also where Ephraim McDowell performed the first surgery on Jane Todd Crawford). Kentucky was origimally a part of Virginia.
Abraham Lincoln was quoted as saying that he hoped GOD would be on his side, but he must have Kentucky. And that was primarily due to the rivers and besides the aforementioned, there were the Salt, Licking, Cumberland, and Tennesse rivers.. just a complete network of rivers for transporting war goods.
My little homestead lies in a triangle area near the Kentucky and Dix rivers and my ancestor came here around 1790 from Virginia. His grandfather came from Ireland and died in Virginia 33 years prior to the American Revolution. It was along the Dix that my grandfather raised hemp that still grows wild. I see helicopters almost daily flying in those areas looking for illegal cultivation. The hemp looks about the same as marijuana and was harvested much like tobacco. and was bought by the government since it could be entertwined to make big ropes for ships, that eventually became obsolete with oil based products such as nylon and rayon.
"Abraham Lincoln was quoted as saying that he hoped GOD would be on his side, but he must have Kentucky. And that was primarily due to the rivers and besides the aforementioned, there were the Salt, Licking, Cumberland, and Tennesse rivers.. just a complete network of rivers for transporting war goods."

I bought a shirt at the Civil War Re-Enactment down at Camp Wildcat that has those words on the back of it.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#95116 Dec 30, 2013
qwerty wrote:
mule train ......yes dear
http://youtu.be/1qanSuc74Lk
Twenty Mule Team Borax is a natural laundry detergent booster to remove stains. It was so named based on the team of 18 mules and 2 horses used to transport borax out of Death Valley, California.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#95117 Dec 30, 2013
Passing Through wrote:
<quoted text>"Abraham Lincoln was quoted as saying that he hoped GOD would be on his side, but he must have Kentucky. And that was primarily due to the rivers and besides the aforementioned, there were the Salt, Licking, Cumberland, and Tennesse rivers.. just a complete network of rivers for transporting war goods."
I bought a shirt at the Civil War Re-Enactment down at Camp Wildcat that has those words on the back of it.
Camp Wilcat was considered to be the first Union Victory of the Civil War. Did you perhaps go on to Corbin and eat where Colonel Harlan Sanders first started Ky Fried Chicken? The nearby town of London has an annual "chicken" festival.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#95118 Dec 30, 2013
also Camp Wilcat was lead by Confederate General Felix Zollicoffer who moved westard to the Mill Springs area on the southern side of the Cumberland River and died at the oak "Zollie" tree that I had posted about earlier.

Union leader George Thomas had sent a troop from Camp Dick Robinson (near the Ky. River) to block the Confederates. Thomas (though a Virginian) remained loyal to the Union and went on serve at the battle of Mill Springs and against Braxton Bragg at Perryville (west of Danville), and was most famous for Chicamauga south of Chattanooga and joined Sherman on his march to Atlanta.

Camp Dick Robinson was the first Federal recruiting and training camp south of the Mason-Dixon and is primarily what propelled Ky. into the Civil War. Many "orphaned" East Tennesseans enlisted there after their own state seceded. Several died there due to an outbreak of measles.
Anne

United States

#95119 Dec 30, 2013
Colonel Harland Sanders was born a few miles from my family's home. According to local lore he, at one time, may have ran a bootleg operation. who knows. lol A couple years ago a tornado hit his hometown and cut quite a swathe through the area, hitting the school. By that August the school had been repaired and the kids were again in familiar surroundings. One highly visible scene from the tornado was a school bus that had been slammed into a local restaurant, creating a new "Bus Stop"
Anne

United States

#95120 Dec 30, 2013
Also Colonel Sanders nephew, Lee Cummings started his own friedchicken restaurant known as "Lee's Famous Recipe". BTW. The Colonels hometown doesn't even have a KFC.

I'm hungry. Haven't had breakfast and here it is almost lunch time! As soon as the doc appointment is over I'm outta here and looking for food. Perhaps KFC? Lol

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lexington-Fayette Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ball Homes (May '15) 6 min Opinion 12
Yes, I am a Hillary Hater 7 min Hillary Fan 2
Wyatt Robinson 15 min Zach 28
victoria estates (Aug '12) 17 min the truth 73
Bernie Sanders for President 18 min Billery 155
had to break up 26 min Cool 6
Jesus at Wendy's 32 min poot 3
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Lexington-Fayette Mortgages