West End Service Store/Bulgers

West End Service Store/Bulgers

Posted in the Lewistown Forum

simman

Jersey City, NJ

#1 Nov 19, 2011
Anyone know how long ago the West End Service Store was called Bulgers?
money

Hershey, PA

#2 Nov 19, 2011
I know in the seventies, it was called Bolgers
money

Hershey, PA

#3 Nov 19, 2011
I meant to say the sixties. sorry
simman

Paterson, NJ

#4 Nov 19, 2011
money wrote:
I meant to say the sixties. sorry
Thanks.
simman

Jersey City, NJ

#5 Nov 19, 2011
Do you know anything about the house beside the West End Service Store? The one on the other side of the fence ( big white one).
CateGate

Parrish, FL

#6 Nov 21, 2011
simman wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks.
I grew up in that area from 1959 until 1977. I went back and forth to Bolgers for my Mom as soon as I could ride my bike there. My 1st Barbie Doll came from there. They had several booths, counter service and small deli case where you could have light lunch, coffee or ice cream. Mr. Bolger was fairly nice. Mrs. Bolger rarely smiled. They didn't seem like a happy couple. There weren't any children. They lived on South Side of Lewistown near Green Gables. If you went to Buchanan Elementary School, in 6th Grade you were allowed to leave the school grounds and go there for lunch which was a big treat. They had large magazine and greeting card section and section with perfume and makeup, too. Always had holiday decorations at Christmas. The Smith Family purchased it sometime in late 70s I think, but not sure. I haven't been back there in probably 15 years. Hope this helps. I don't remember the house you asked about though.
simman

Newark, NJ

#7 Nov 25, 2011
CateGate wrote:
<quoted text>I grew up in that area from 1959 until 1977. I went back and forth to Bolgers for my Mom as soon as I could ride my bike there. My 1st Barbie Doll came from there. They had several booths, counter service and small deli case where you could have light lunch, coffee or ice cream. Mr. Bolger was fairly nice. Mrs. Bolger rarely smiled. They didn't seem like a happy couple. There weren't any children. They lived on South Side of Lewistown near Green Gables. If you went to Buchanan Elementary School, in 6th Grade you were allowed to leave the school grounds and go there for lunch which was a big treat. They had large magazine and greeting card section and section with perfume and makeup, too. Always had holiday decorations at Christmas. The Smith Family purchased it sometime in late 70s I think, but not sure. I haven't been back there in probably 15 years. Hope this helps. I don't remember the house you asked about though.
Thanks for the information that you do know. Let me be a little more specific on the house I am referring to. It's a white house(may have not been white back then) and it sets right on the other side of the store(over fence, same side, towards Dairy Queen). Smiths used to live here or at least their kids did.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lewistown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Yorks pleads not guilty Apr 10 Karamarie4301 1
Looking for Cocker Spaniel Stud to breed with m... (Apr '09) Mar '18 Jsarlo 83
Let's reminisce! (Apr '10) Dec '17 Greg 349
Please help bring Shane home (Oct '17) Oct '17 Jessica 1
News Derry asked to help fund road project (Aug '17) Aug '17 Hoyman99 1
Sleeping CO back to work???? (May '15) May '17 Alby17944 19
Mifflin County Deadbeat parents (Oct '14) Apr '17 What a joke 3

Lewistown Jobs

Personal Finance

Lewistown Mortgages