First Prev
of 8
Next Last
Lewistown Resident

AOL

#1 May 6, 2008
If you read the Lewistown,Pa Sentinel lately, you probably read about the four to six alcohol establishments that have been cited for violations. Anywhere from serving people that were already intoxicated to the lastest, playing loud music that could be heard outside. Remember about a year or two ago, Burnham had a noise problem coming from an area business and they were in the process of coming up with an ordinance to control it, they stopped that because of the cost, even with the business owner wanted to help pay for it. That would have been some conflict of interest, but anyway now we see where they did not need an ordinance ,the LCB. can control the noise as they have in other areas and can do so here, but all establishments serving alcohol need to be treated the same.

“Why all the negativity?”

Since: Aug 07

Lewistown, PA

#2 May 6, 2008
Lewistown Resident wrote:
but all establishments serving alcohol need to be treated the same.
Again, it all depends on who you are. They should be all treated the same, but places like JP Edwards are not treated the same as places like the Bears Den due to the type of people that frequent each place. Its sad really, because JP Edwards is a bar like any other and should be treated as such.
Lewistown Resident

AOL

#3 Jun 3, 2008
The LCB. was out there again doing its job, controling the noise coming from bars. T's Taveran was cited for having a loud speaker that could be heard outside the bar and serving alcohol to someone that was already intoxicated. The Brooklyn hose company was cited for,small games of chance. We did not need an ordiance to do it .
Lewistown Resident

AOL

#4 Jan 6, 2009
If the LCB would do some checking , they would probably find that the Bierhaus is just as much a place for buying drugs as the Gold Star , and the Steelworkers had some more serious offenses there. Are they just starting with the Gold Star and these other places are next ?
Barhopper

Lancaster, PA

#5 Jan 6, 2009
Maybe they need to get rid of that eyesore so they can start a Maple St project on that end of town to compliment the Elm St project on the East end.
PositiveContribu tor

York, PA

#6 Jan 6, 2009
JunkE wrote:
<quoted text>
Again, it all depends on who you are. They should be all treated the same, but places like JP Edwards are not treated the same as places like the Bears Den due to the type of people that frequent each place. Its sad really, because JP Edwards is a bar like any other and should be treated as such.
The difference, of course, is not the "type" of people that frequent each place, but the "actions" of the people who attend each place.

(Infrequent anecdotes notwithstanding) JP Edwards is not a den of iniquity -- certainly not to the extent of the dives. There aren't many people selling drugs out of J.P. Edwards.

President-elect Obama visited JP Edwards. He may go back if he ever makes it back this way. Do you think he's going to the Bear's Den? Gold Star? Of course not. He needs the support of working people.

I applaud local law enforcement and LCB for doing their jobs.

Lewistown, PA

#7 Jan 7, 2009
PositiveContributor wrote:
<quoted text>
The difference, of course, is not the "type" of people that frequent each place, but the "actions" of the people who attend each place.
(Infrequent anecdotes notwithstanding) JP Edwards is not a den of iniquity -- certainly not to the extent of the dives. There aren't many people selling drugs out of J.P. Edwards.
President-elect Obama visited JP Edwards. He may go back if he ever makes it back this way. Do you think he's going to the Bear's Den? Gold Star? Of course not. He needs the support of working people.
I applaud local law enforcement and LCB for doing their jobs.
I'll give you that, to some extent. However, JP's is still a bar, I've seen fights there and I've seen drug deals go down there. I'm sure it happens far less frequently than it does at some of the cheaper establishments around town, but fact is its still a bar and they should still have to follow the same rules as all other bars.
Lewistown Resident

AOL

#8 Feb 12, 2009
The other night about 11:30 the police were suppose to go to the Hospital to investigate a fight that went on at Green Gables where someone had beer bottles smashed on him . Not a peep in the Sentinel but that was not the Gold Star so its OK.
Lewistown Resident

AOL

#9 Mar 1, 2009
Last night the ambulance had to go pick up someone laying in the BlackHorse parking lot from assualt and take them to the Hospital , So you see it is not only the GoldStar that is getting violent.

Lewistown, PA

#10 Mar 2, 2009
The blackhorse gets pretty rowdy. It doesn't help matters that the owner is an alcoholic and is in there almost every night sloshed out of his mind. Things have a tendency to get out of hand there quite frequently.
Lewistown Resident

AOL

#11 May 28, 2009
The KEG gets $5000.00 fine for writing bad checks to its suppliers and the Legion got a $5000.00 fine for Gambling on small games of chance.
Lewistown Resident

AOL

#12 May 28, 2009
The KEG gets $5000.00 fine for writing bad checks to its suppliers and the Legion got a $5000.00 fine for Gambling on small games of chance.
I guess I should say that it said they could get $5000.00 fine , Maybe they did not get anything.
Whatever

Erie, PA

#13 May 28, 2009
And the Black Horse gets cited for the owner being in there drunk.

What ever happened to the VIP law? You can go into any establishment in the county any time of the day or night any day of the week and find at least one VIP. Several places you can find the owners in there drunk at least once a week.

You can also walk into any bar at any time and find at least one person that is on probation.

And one more thing, where are the DUI checkpoints between the hours of 4:00 and 7:00 (or later) in the evenings when there are more drunk people on the roads than between the hours of 11 and 2 on a Friday or Saturday. These people go to the bars after work and have several drinks because that is when it is "safe" to drink and drive and not get a DUI. There a 6 cops sitting outside the Bierhaus on band nights to arrest someone for DUI and kudos to them! But they need to think about sitting outside the bars through the week and especially Friday evenings to catch these drunk drivers. This is the time of day when families and young people are more likely out in a vehicle and in harms way of these early evening drunk drivers.

Lewistown, PA

#14 May 28, 2009
Whatever wrote:
And the Black Horse gets cited for the owner being in there drunk.
It was only a matter of time, see my post about 3-4 above this one back in March.
curious

Rockford, MI

#15 May 30, 2009
talking about the bars, it's not just the bars.it's the clubs too, the city hook & ladder is just one of them. they have a bartender there that keeps getting in trouble for gambling violations.he sells fooball polls , gets caught , gets a slap on hand , gets caught again. causes the club to get a fine & whatever else they got. but yet he is in the eyes of some of the big wigs at the club , the best. how can you be the best when you come on duty & the bar empties out. some time when he goes off duty, they should check his book bag out. surprize,it;s filled with beer. you are not allowed to take beer out of a club. this guy is special though, anything he does is ok.what's he holding over clubs head, i;d like to know.
Lewistown Resident

AOL

#16 May 31, 2009

Maybe someone from the LCB will read what you wrote and find out for you just what is going on with him . Nothing ever gets done here in Lewistown by keeping quiet.

Lewistown, PA

#17 May 31, 2009
I've said it before, the clubs around here get away with all sorts of crap. The Eagles in Burnham pays their bingo caller and helpers, which is illegal. They have more bingos per month then they're allowed, etc. Same thing is true of the milroy firehouse as well.
curious

United States

#18 May 31, 2009
i,m talking about the bartender himself, he caused the firehouse so many problems & money. when he comes on duty the bar emties out. the city did get fined{big money} but he got caught by lcb when he was already on probation. you would think he should lose his job. johnny on the spot , but it doesn't happen. i think he has something on one or two of the big wigs there. he might even wear knee pads.
Lewistown Resident

AOL

#19 Jul 22, 2009

Downtown OIP gets charged for selling alcohol to a minor .

Lewistown, PA

#20 Jul 22, 2009
Downtown OIP gets charged for selling alcohol to a minor .
I wonder what the story is there. I've seen them carding people plenty of times in there so my guess is this was somebody serving a friend or somebody purchasing it and letting an underager drink it, etc.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lewistown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The Reverend Norman E. Huff Aug '16 Pat Stum Arbegast 1
Looking for Cocker Spaniel Stud to breed with m... (Apr '09) Aug '16 Vita 65
News Four charged with animal cruelty for dropping p... (May '13) Jul '16 jackwell 22
Lewistown Borough Police Department (Nov '09) Jul '16 Angry teenage girl 1,524
vincent e martz egor Jul '16 martz friends 1
News Shooting leaves 2 dead (Jul '15) Jun '16 Nope 7
Let's reminisce! (Apr '10) May '16 Noplacelikehome 339

Lewistown Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Lewistown Mortgages