Lewistown Borough Police Department

Posted in the Lewistown Forum

First Prev
of 77
Next Last

Since: Nov 09

Spring City, PA

#1 Nov 23, 2009
So the Tom King study for Lewistown Borough Police Department came back today. It turns out that they are budgeting 1.1 million dollars for 2011 and 1.2 million dollars for 2012; plus the initial "$300,000" start up cost; which is a low number by the way. The new department will consist of 1 Chief, 2 Sergeants, 6 patrol officers and 3 part time officers. Lewistown pays Regional Police 1 million dollars for 1 chief, 4 Sergeants, 4 detectives, 1 School resource officer and 16 patrol officers.

So Lewistown residents are going to be paying $200,000 more per year, for a smaller police department that relies on other police agencies for back up. More police presence? No. Less police coverage for more money. Your thoughts?

Since: Feb 09

Lewistown

#2 Nov 24, 2009
I think it's incredibly ridiculous. The sad part is, they might learn from this error.

Spring City, PA

#3 Nov 24, 2009
The paper said that Lewistown Borough is unsatisfied with the police service. I haven't read that in any papers or documents. What are they unhappy about? If they want extra police down town on foot patrol, they should purchase an extra couple of units to put someone down there for a few hours a night; instead of cutting hours. It will still cost less than their own department and it will actually be a police officer and not some idiot with zero police power, a radio and a note pad. I can see one of these "community officers" trying to make an arrest on someone and getting the pants sued off of the Borough. Maybe they can hire the crossing guard on South Dorcas Street HAHA!

I'm going to do some digging(actual research) and find out how much money Lewistown will owe to the other municipalities when and if it pulls out. I can't imagine that they can just call it quits without having to pay a percentage of the police officers unemployment, sick time, vacation and comp time. That has to be a large bill that's accumulated over the past 15 years.
Milroy

Harrisburg, PA

#4 Nov 24, 2009
This is not about enhancing public safety, or even reducing costs.

This is not a new problem. This is another manifestation of a 200+ year old Mifflin County disease.

This is about control. The Lewistown yocals want to be in charge of their own little kingdoms. Lewistown doesn't want anything to do with the surrounding townships, and the surrounding townships don't want anything to do with Lewistown.

“Why all the negativity?”

Since: Aug 07

Lewistown, PA

#5 Nov 24, 2009
rorschach wrote:
I'm going to do some digging(actual research) and find out how much money Lewistown will owe to the other municipalities when and if it pulls out. I can't imagine that they can just call it quits without having to pay a percentage of the police officers unemployment, sick time, vacation and comp time. That has to be a large bill that's accumulated over the past 15 years.
That's interesting but I wonder if they really could try to force the borough to pay any of that? The borough is "purchasing" police coverage from MCRPD, they don't directly pay for any of the officers. So I would think that MCRPD is responsible for paying the unemployment, etc. of these officers and should have been charging accordingly to cover such costs.

Bloomfield Hills, MI

#6 Nov 24, 2009
I don't know if that's the way it is or not, but it's not like Mifflin County Regional Police started up and asked Lewistown to purchase service. Lewistown Police Department and Derry Township Police Department merged to make one entity. Those officers are now employed by one department and have worked X amount of hours in over time and have accumulated X amount of comp, sick and vacation time; serving those municipalities. Now that the bill is probably enormous, the Borough can't just avoid paying that. If they try to do that, I can see a huge lawsuit in their future. No Judge in the world is going to award them that. It's like going out to dinner with your friends and leaving before the check arrives.

Also, I noticed that when the Borough cut 10 units, 4 officers were laid off. So when the Borough pulls out in 2011, that means another 10 officers will be laid off. So now we're going to have 14 officers who have worked in the Borough, collecting unemployment, while the NEW 8 officers are working for Lewistown Borough with NO training. Police officers are union workers, and you can't just say, "Sorry guys. We don't wanna pay you as much money, so we're going to hire a whole bunch of new guys and pay them less." The idea behind a Union is so that employers can't bone their employees. That would be like Overhead Door laying off half of their workers, and bringing in another half and paying them less.

There is something seriously wrong with this picture, and I don't think that it's going to work out in the Borough's favor. In the meantime, while Lewistown is spending millions in litigation fees, the citizens will suffer because there will be no police. What is wrong with these people? We already have a good police department.

Bloomfield Hills, MI

#7 Nov 24, 2009
As I'm proof reading my last post I realized something. The officers from Lewistown and Derry, who have since retired, will be payed under the regional police pension. So the officers who served the Borough for 20 years before it went regional, will still be payed by the regional police pension. You mean to tell me that Derry Township residents are going to be paying the pension of a bunch of guys who retired from Regional, who worked for Lewistown?Lewistown can COMPLETELY wipe it's hands off all of this? No freakin way.

Lewistown, PA

#8 Nov 24, 2009
rorschach wrote:
So now we're going to have 14 officers who have worked in the Borough, collecting unemployment, while the NEW 8 officers are working for Lewistown Borough with NO training.
You honestly don't think the officers facing layoffs from regional won't be applying for the new borough jobs? I'd be surprised if most of (if not all of) the officers hired don't come from Regional.

Well, except for the Chief that is. I think we all know where they'll find him at!
Derry

State College, PA

#9 Nov 24, 2009
Milroy wrote:
This is not about enhancing public safety, or even reducing costs.
This is not a new problem. This is another manifestation of a 200+ year old Mifflin County disease.
This is about control. The Lewistown yocals want to be in charge of their own little kingdoms. Lewistown doesn't want anything to do with the surrounding townships, and the surrounding townships don't want anything to do with Lewistown.
Seems like the other townships are smart in not wanting anything to do with Lewistown. That is the worst part of the county - the part with the most crime, the least growth and most unemployed residents. Where are all the new businesses and houses being built? So to associate with Lewistown is to drag down the rest.
Lewistown Resident

AOL

#10 Nov 24, 2009
rorschach wrote:
I don't know if that's the way it is or not, but it's not like Mifflin County Regional Police started up and asked Lewistown to purchase service. Lewistown Police Department and Derry Township Police Department merged to make one entity. Those officers are now employed by one department and have worked X amount of hours in over time and have accumulated X amount of comp, sick and vacation time; serving those municipalities. Now that the bill is probably enormous, the Borough can't just avoid paying that. If they try to do that, I can see a huge lawsuit in their future. No Judge in the world is going to award them that. It's like going out to dinner with your friends and leaving before the check arrives.
Also, I noticed that when the Borough cut 10 units, 4 officers were laid off. So when the Borough pulls out in 2011, that means another 10 officers will be laid off. So now we're going to have 14 officers who have worked in the Borough, collecting unemployment, while the NEW 8 officers are working for Lewistown Borough with NO training. Police officers are union workers, and you can't just say, "Sorry guys. We don't wanna pay you as much money, so we're going to hire a whole bunch of new guys and pay them less." The idea behind a Union is so that employers can't bone their employees. That would be like Overhead Door laying off half of their workers, and bringing in another half and paying them less.
There is something seriously wrong with this picture, and I don't think that it's going to work out in the Borough's favor. In the meantime, while Lewistown is spending millions in litigation fees, the citizens will suffer because there will be no police. What is wrong with these people? We already have a good police department.
All this and Granville twp stayed out of it from the beginning and had all the back-up they need or needed, and don't have to deal with their problems, if only Lewistown would have done the same and stayed out of it.
Lewistown Resident

AOL

#11 Nov 24, 2009
Those trained officers that you talk about , did Lewistown contribute to the cost of training them , if so do you have a reinburstment dollar number figured out to send the boro a check?

Spring City, PA

#12 Nov 24, 2009
Well if anyone is sending checks, it's going to be the Borough; for the aforementioned reasons. Granville Township police doesn't have NEARLY the crime that Lewistown Borough has. Granville Township 2,000 incidents - Lewistown Borough 6,000 incidents. The borough plans to have a department about the same size as Granville. The Granville Department can handle their call volume with 7 or 8 guys, and if they couldn't, Granville Township would actually spend the money necessary to purchase more officers. You're comparing apples to oranges. If the Borough does eventually pull out, you will also see less and less police each year. The citizens need to wake up and use their brains, and stand up for what is right. The borough plans to spend MORE of their tax dollars for less service. Even Lewistown Resident should be able to put 2 and 2 together to see how stupid that is.

I agree that Lewistown is the piece that's dragging Regional down, and I think that Regional will eventually be better off without them. However, Lewistown Borough will not be better without Regional.

Lewistown, PA

#13 Nov 25, 2009
rorschach wrote:
Well if anyone is sending checks, it's going to be the Borough; for the aforementioned reasons. Granville Township police doesn't have NEARLY the crime that Lewistown Borough has. Granville Township 2,000 incidents - Lewistown Borough 6,000 incidents. The borough plans to have a department about the same size as Granville.
I agree but there is one minor difference. The borough is a way smaller area to cover than granville township is.
rorschach wrote:
I agree that Lewistown is the piece that's dragging Regional down, and I think that Regional will eventually be better off without them. However, Lewistown Borough will not be better without Regional.
Very well said, I agree 100%.
Lewistown Resident

AOL

#14 Nov 25, 2009
If you live in Lewistown or surrounding area and your car was not smashed or broken into with items missing yet, it was probably not your turn , you may be next.There is a rash of them, Every night, last night it wasn't even late when one on Chestnut St made the list.

Lewistown, PA

#15 Nov 25, 2009
This has been ongoing now for the last few months. A few people I know just got hit Monday night over on east end of town. Makes me want to leave my car unlocked at nights with a "surprise" inside waiting.
Lewistown Resident

AOL

#16 Nov 25, 2009
JunkE wrote:
This has been ongoing now for the last few months. A few people I know just got hit Monday night over on east end of town. Makes me want to leave my car unlocked at nights with a "surprise" inside waiting.
I believe that was the second or third round for the people on the East End including Hummingbird Lane.

Bloomfield Hills, MI

#17 Nov 25, 2009
The police department has arrested several people in the past few months for thefts from vehicles. The "rounds" you speak of, were SOLVED and closed out, with the exception of the most recent round. It's not their fault that the courts in this County slap the offenders on the wrist and release them from jail; then say "Don't do it again." When there are robberies, rapes and murders occurring on a regular basis, then maybe you can say the police department is doing a bad job. But when people leave their car doors unlocked night after night after night; they are allowing themselves to be victimized. Drive around Lewistown after midnight, and all you see are police cars roaming the streets. It's not the police department's fault for crime, it's the criminals. The police are doing their job and have been doing it well for the past 13 years. I have an idea. Let's cut police service. That way by the end of 2010, people will forget about the cut in service and blame Regional for the increased crime statistics. I sure hope Frank Berrier's house isn't burglarized and added to the stack of calls pending next year. That would be way too amusing.

Bloomfield Hills, MI

#18 Nov 25, 2009
BTW, the word on the street for the last 5 or so years is that big time criminals from the City don't want to come to Lewistown to sell their drugs; because they are afraid to deal in Mifflin County Regional Police's jurisdiction. We are lucky enough to have that sort of reputation. Remember that big Heroin problem in the early 00's? You don't think that disappeared on its own do you? I wonder if the Lewistown Borough Police Department will have the resources to combat drug lords. On that note, not all criminals are stupid. They read the papers and listen to the radio like tax paying citizens. It won't take them long to figure out that Lewistown is the place to sell drugs again.
Lewistown Resident

AOL

#19 Nov 25, 2009
rorschach wrote:
I sure hope Frank Berrier's house isn't burglarized and added to the stack of calls pending next year. That would be way too amusing.
I think if I heard it right , it was an elected official that was making the complaint in last night's incident on Chestnut st. I don't think it is anymore amusing for them then it would be if it was you. I don't blame the police because I know if they had 10 officers on the streets of Lewistown these things could still happen. I do believe drugs and the demand for them cause these kind of things. Everywhere you turn today drugs are involved someway.
TURKEY

Lancaster, PA

#20 Nov 25, 2009
Why do you keep going on about this? You said earlier that Regional would be better off without Lewistown. I live in Lewistown, and think its time for change , obviously its not working the way it is now.
rorschach wrote:
The police department has arrested several people in the past few months for thefts from vehicles. The "rounds" you speak of, were SOLVED and closed out, with the exception of the most recent round. It's not their fault that the courts in this County slap the offenders on the wrist and release them from jail; then say "Don't do it again." When there are robberies, rapes and murders occurring on a regular basis, then maybe you can say the police department is doing a bad job. But when people leave their car doors unlocked night after night after night; they are allowing themselves to be victimized. Drive around Lewistown after midnight, and all you see are police cars roaming the streets. It's not the police department's fault for crime, it's the criminals. The police are doing their job and have been doing it well for the past 13 years. I have an idea. Let's cut police service. That way by the end of 2010, people will forget about the cut in service and blame Regional for the increased crime statistics. I sure hope Frank Berrier's house isn't burglarized and added to the stack of calls pending next year. That would be way too amusing.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 77
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lewistown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Mifflin County Deadbeat parents (Oct '14) 4 hr CAB 2
Sleeping CO back to work???? (May '15) Thu Convict39 17
Looking for Cocker Spaniel Stud to breed with m... (Apr '09) Feb '17 sherrymcewen 69
News Four charged with animal cruelty for dropping p... (May '13) Feb '17 air max shoes 26
Let's reminisce! (Apr '10) Feb '17 D from Maitland 340
Bar flys and street girls Jan '17 Matt Houser 1
News Harry J. - Punk' Smith Jr. Jan '17 Eileen Biddle 1

Lewistown Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Lewistown Mortgages