Lewistown Borough Council

Posted in the Lewistown Forum

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
West Ender

Lancaster, PA

#1 Sep 12, 2010
Lewistown Borough Council meets tomorrow (Monday, Sept 13)5:30 PM at the Borough building on corner of N. Main and Third Streets. Hope to see all of you there with questions.
AverageGuy

Middletown, NJ

#2 Sep 13, 2010
West Ender wrote:
Lewistown Borough Council meets tomorrow (Monday, Sept 13)5:30 PM at the Borough building on corner of N. Main and Third Streets. Hope to see all of you there with questions.
Why, so Berrier and Bargo can tell you to sit down and shut up because the decision has been made and there is no point to any further discussion?
Lewistown Resident

AOL

#3 Sep 13, 2010
AverageGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
Why, so Berrier and Bargo can tell you to sit down and shut up because the decision has been made and there is no point to any further discussion?
And I believe Berrier and Bargo would be right to say the decision was already made, in fact it was made in Print and with a vote many times already. I don't think they will say sit down and shut up unless Nelson gets on his highhorse, then maybe they might.
AverageGuy

Middletown, NJ

#4 Sep 13, 2010
Lewistown Resident wrote:
<quoted text>
And I believe Berrier and Bargo would be right to say the decision was already made, in fact it was made in Print and with a vote many times already. I don't think they will say sit down and shut up unless Nelson gets on his highhorse, then maybe they might.
See, you have the same attitude as Berrier and Bargo. Nelson asking questions is hardly riding his highhorse. There were several citizens that asked questions before the vote and were not given any explanation. It doesn't matter if you agree with Lewistown's decision or not. The point is local government is supposed to be transparent and the fact that Lewistown is hiding information from the residents is not right. It doesn't matter if it is the skate park, the benches, or the police; local government should be transparent.
Lewistown Resident

AOL

#5 Sep 13, 2010
AverageGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
The point is local government is supposed to be transparent and the fact that Lewistown is hiding information from the residents is not right. It doesn't matter if it is the skate park, the benches, or the police; local government should be transparent.
So what makes it ok for you to say that people hide information that should be available to the Public, but when I say that exact same thing it doesn't get the same respect although it is true.
Lewistown Resident

AOL

#6 Sep 13, 2010
AverageGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
See, you have the same attitude as Berrier and Bargo. Nelson asking questions is hardly riding his highhorse. There were several citizens that asked questions before the vote and were not given any explanation. It doesn't matter if you agree with Lewistown's decision or not. The point is local government is supposed to be transparent and the fact that Lewistown is hiding information from the residents is not right. It doesn't matter if it is the skate park, the benches, or the police; local government should be transparent.
As you read any post from Lewistown Resident,you will see there is some transparent issues in most of them. I don't like how this county trys to keep the public in the dark anymore than you do. That's why forums like this one are important, so don't ruin it.
AverageGuy

Middletown, NJ

#7 Sep 13, 2010
<quoted text>
So what makes it ok for you to say that people hide information that should be available to the Public, but when I say that exact same thing it doesn't get the same respect although it is true.
I am talking about our local government and the official business that we elect these people to conduct, not the name of some pervert's victim or why the fire whistles blow or who wrecked their vehicle. I am looking for the facts about matters that effect all of us, not who died of a drug overdose. Important issues vs. gossip.
Lewistown Resident

AOL

#8 Sep 13, 2010
AverageGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
I am talking about our local government and the official business that we elect these people to conduct, not the name of some pervert's victim or why the fire whistles blow or who wrecked their vehicle. I am looking for the facts about matters that effect all of us, not who died of a drug overdose. Important issues vs. gossip.
So you want to be selective, only what's important to you. Are you looking for a police job?
Lewistown Resident

AOL

#9 Sep 14, 2010
As we move right along with the New Lewistown Police Force with only three and one half months left until Crime relief day again. We should soon be getting a preview of the New Shining police cars.
AverageGuy

Middletown, NJ

#10 Sep 14, 2010
<quoted text>
So you want to be selective, only what's important to you. Are you looking for a police job?
You never seem to understand. No, I am not looking for a police job, and no, I am not being selective. I am trying to tell you that the Sunshine Act and the Right to Know laws are meant to give the public access to the information and actions that effect our daily lives and to keep our government transparent. That is our right under the law. If a resident attends a public meeting and asks a question, their question should be answered.
Lewistown Resident

AOL

#11 Sep 14, 2010
AverageGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
You never seem to understand. No, I am not looking for a police job, and no, I am not being selective. I am trying to tell you that the Sunshine Act and the Right to Know laws are meant to give the public access to the information and actions that effect our daily lives and to keep our government transparent. That is our right under the law. If a resident attends a public meeting and asks a question, their question should be answered.
I guess you don't know, but the Right to know has taken a big turn as the years go by,it's not just asking a question and you instantly get an answer anymore, you have to do your paper work and send in your completed form with all the information you are requesting ,plus you need to give a reason why you want that information and what you are going to be doing with it.. We use to have checks and balances in our system also which seemed to disappear. News Media being one of them.
Lewistown Resident

AOL

#12 Sep 14, 2010
AverageGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
If a resident attends a public meeting and asks a question, their question should be answered.
This Forum makes you wonder if that includes Lewistown Resident?
Jasper

Lewistown, PA

#13 Sep 14, 2010
As we move right along with the New Lewistown Police Force with only three and one half months left until Crime relief day again. We should soon be getting a preview of the New Shining police cars.
You're moving right along alright. I heard this weekend that NONE of the new officers for the borough are or will be able to be firearm certified by the beginning of the year so they will be operating without guns. That sounds like a brilliant idea.

On top of that, they've been going around to various businesses begging for donations like desks, charis, file cabinets, etc. because they can't afford to spend money to purchase them. If they can't afford simply office furniture, god only knows what's going to happen when all the withdrawl costs are finally announced.
Lewistown Resident

AOL

#15 Sep 14, 2010
Jasper wrote:
<quoted text>
You're moving right along alright. I heard this weekend that NONE of the new officers for the borough are or will be able to be firearm certified by the beginning of the year so they will be operating without guns. That sounds like a brilliant idea.
On top of that, they've been going around to various businesses begging for donations like desks, charis, file cabinets, etc. because they can't afford to spend money to purchase them. If they can't afford simply office furniture, god only knows what's going to happen when all the withdrawl costs are finally announced.
There is a topic on this forum for rumors, so maybe since you HEARD, That may be where you want to post that kind of information. They won't be needing them CHARIS you mentioned, too busy. You are correct to say GOD knows what will happen. I suspect crime will go down in Lewistown.
Lewistown Resident

AOL

#16 Sep 14, 2010
Jasper wrote:
<quoted text>

I haven't even heard of anybody sneeking around to see where these people show up for work each morning, so they could inform the media of their police headquarters location.
West Ender

Lancaster, PA

#17 Sep 14, 2010
The location for the new police department has been kept top secret. Two councilmen have asked in an open meeting and were told that it had not been selected. Old Gray Mayor Bargo wouldn't even say where they were looking. Most rumors indicate the Social Security building on S. Brown. They had tried to take over the Fame Building on Valley and Third but lost in that effort.

Another question I have is why are we paying to Bill "I'll Lie if I can" Herkert and Mike " I just can't seem to keep a job" Hoskavich for using their vehicles when the Borough already bought a car for the dept to use.

One more thing....At last nights meeting Nelson R asked about the part-time officers and the CSO's NOT being under civil service. Seems that they will be Borough employees, selected by and under the direction of the Borough Council. Maybe that's how Seth "My Daddy Got me this job" O'Donnell will be employed.
Average Guy

Middletown, NJ

#18 Sep 15, 2010
West Ender wrote:
The location for the new police department has been kept top secret. Two councilmen have asked in an open meeting and were told that it had not been selected. Old Gray Mayor Bargo wouldn't even say where they were looking. Most rumors indicate the Social Security building on S. Brown. They had tried to take over the Fame Building on Valley and Third but lost in that effort.
Another question I have is why are we paying to Bill "I'll Lie if I can" Herkert and Mike " I just can't seem to keep a job" Hoskavich for using their vehicles when the Borough already bought a car for the dept to use.
One more thing....At last nights meeting Nelson R asked about the part-time officers and the CSO's NOT being under civil service. Seems that they will be Borough employees, selected by and under the direction of the Borough Council. Maybe that's how Seth "My Daddy Got me this job" O'Donnell will be employed.
Was there any mention of the unfair labor practice suit filed with the PA Dept of Labor by the police union?
West Ender

Lancaster, PA

#19 Sep 15, 2010
That issue WAS raised by Searer. he asked if any lawsuits had been filed and was told no, but a grievance had been filed by the union at the Regional level for Lewistown hiring outside the bargaining unit. Berrier went on to say it didn't apply because Regional didn't hire anyone, Lewistown did. He seems to forget that the PA Supreme Court ruled that Lewistown was a joint employer in Regional. This is the stuff that lawyers DREAM about. Uncharted waters and precedents to be made. How long will it take until this reaches PA Supreme Court and how many dollars will pave the way? This is just the start of a giant vacuum of our tax dollars going attorney fees. Probably cost more than operating this circus for a year.
Lewistown Resident

AOL

#20 Sep 15, 2010
I think people seem to forget what Joint Employer means. Lewistown Borough is joint employer in MCRPD. MCRPD is not joint employer of the NEW Lewistown Police Dept. Come January 1 2011 Lewistown Borough will no longer be joint employer of MCRPD. and they will only be responsible for things while they were a Joint Employer from 1993 to Dec 31,2010. Berrier is correct, MCRPD or the Joint Employers ( 7 twp's & Boroughs)did not hire anybody outside the union, LPD did. Isn't that one of the Problems Lewistown Borough had with being a Joint employer in MCRPD, They only had one equal vote and was paying the biggest share.
Spectator

Lewistown, PA

#21 Sep 15, 2010

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lewistown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The Reverend Norman E. Huff Aug 21 Pat Stum Arbegast 1
Looking for Cocker Spaniel Stud to breed with m... (Apr '09) Aug 14 Vita 65
News Four charged with animal cruelty for dropping p... (May '13) Jul '16 jackwell 22
Lewistown Borough Police Department (Nov '09) Jul '16 Angry teenage girl 1,524
vincent e martz egor Jul '16 martz friends 1
News Shooting leaves 2 dead (Jul '15) Jun '16 Nope 7
Let's reminisce! (Apr '10) May '16 Noplacelikehome 339

Lewistown Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Lewistown Mortgages