Mifflin County Regional "Police" (and...

Mifflin County Regional "Police" (and I use that term loosely)

Posted in the Lewistown Forum

First Prev
of 10
Next Last

“Why all the negativity?”

Since: Aug 07

Lewistown, PA

#1 Oct 23, 2007
As we've discussed here before, its a joke that the regional police won't release reports to the local media. I have to wonder if its just a matter of laziness, or if they're trying to cover up how much crime actually happens in their area? Or maybe a bit of both??

Take a look at merfradio.com 's news section for Monday (Oct 22nd). Its full of police reports from Juniata, Huntingdon and Centre counties, but not so much as one single story from Mifflin County. Want to know why? Because MCRPD claims they have "nothing to release at this time" and that's a direct quote.
Lewistown Resident

Lancaster, PA

#2 Oct 23, 2007
It's not only the police here in Lewistown that is not reporting the crime that goes on here it is also the Sentinel. Even when you tell the sentinel about a crime that you saw fristhand that has happened, they still don't ask questions from the police and report on it. They can't report on everything someone tells them, but they can use their investigating power to get information.When you read the paper and see where it took three years for a drug bust to happen and then read about all the plea agreements that happen in the next six months and these people are back on the street with probation paying $25.00 a month.What did they gain ,nothing. There is not many nights that go by here that a business is not broken into or damaged,but if you only go by police reports ,you would think Lewistown is this little paradise city,no crime.There is another forum that a person wanted to know a good place to retire to,they were considering Lewistown because they said we do not have any sex offenders here,Well go to the Pa sex offender register and you will learn that mifflin County and Lewistown have lots of them . So people need accurate information and don't misslead them by no information.
Lewistown Resident

Lancaster, PA

#3 Oct 23, 2007
A lot of the crime that goes on here, the police and the Sentinel think it is not important, but then when you read the paper you see the same kinds of things reported from everywhere outside of Lewistown and its important to them. The privacy laws must only apply to Lewistown.Why is it that you can not know when your friends are admitted to the hospital here but go down the road twelve miles in their paper, it is ok to list admissions and discharges . It has not hurt anyone here in Lewistown listing them for over 50 years so why change it now.If it has, it was not reported.
Lewistown Resident

Lancaster, PA

#4 Oct 23, 2007
That's kind of interesting too that you mentioned getting the news from Merf Radio . You probaly don't know that they reported vandalism to their own building yesterday ,they could have reported on that . Spray painting on building.

Lewistown, PA

#5 Oct 23, 2007
I agree with you 100%. There is way more crime that goes on here than the average person would know about because the MCRPD will not provide police reports to the media. Why? Because they want to continue snowballing everybody into believing that they have the drug and crime problems in our area "under control" when in fact its just as bad now if not worse than it ever was.

The drug problem is treated the same way. 5-6 years ago you couldn't open the paper without reading of a drug overdose, now you read none. Is that because the Regional Clowns and Steve Snook and his wonderful Drug Task Force finally got a handle on the situation? Phuck no, its because they couldn't get a handle on it at all, so they quit reporting it in an attempt to save face in the community. Ask any EMT or ER staff around here how many overdoses are treated on a weekly basis in this area..........you'll be shocked to say the least!
Jonathan Specht

Mechanicsburg, PA

#6 May 22, 2008
I am a hard working family man that has been asking for help from MCRPD for over a year. My girlfriend, her children, and myself are constantly harrassed and threatend by her ex boyfriend. I have contacted the police countless time and all he ever gets is a slap on the wrist. Recently a rookie officer inadvertanly admitted that this individual is a protected informant for the drug task force. How can a piece of trash, with a record thicker than the bible, get away with this. I've been to his probation officer, the state police and several other police departments and no one will touch this guy. Meanwhile we have to listen to constant threats. How fair is that.

Lewistown, PA

#7 May 22, 2008
Jonathan Specht wrote:
I am a hard working family man that has been asking for help from MCRPD for over a year. My girlfriend, her children, and myself are constantly harrassed and threatend by her ex boyfriend. I have contacted the police countless time and all he ever gets is a slap on the wrist. Recently a rookie officer inadvertanly admitted that this individual is a protected informant for the drug task force. How can a piece of trash, with a record thicker than the bible, get away with this. I've been to his probation officer, the state police and several other police departments and no one will touch this guy. Meanwhile we have to listen to constant threats. How fair is that.
Keep all of your contacts/requests to the MCRPD well documented. If anything should ever happen to either of you, you'll be able to sue the balls right off of those clowns.

In the meantime, get a PFA issued against him so that if he violates it and they ignore you again, you'll have them for not upholding a court order as well.
the truth thats who i am

Grand Blanc, MI

#8 Sep 1, 2009
mifflincounty drug task force what a joke another waste of are tax dollars dont turn any body in for selling drugs they want you to do there jobs they dont want to be bothered eating donuts maybe smoking dope there selfs i dont under stand why if you drink in mifflin county its a crime but if you smoke dope its ok
Milroy

Harrisburg, PA

#9 Sep 1, 2009
Lewistown Resident wrote:
Why is it that you can not know when your friends are admitted to the hospital here but go down the road twelve miles in their paper, it is ok to list admissions and discharges . It has not hurt anyone here in Lewistown listing them for over 50 years so why change it now.If it has, it was not reported.
They had it wrong for over 50 years. I agree with these privacy laws. Somebody's illness and hospital stay is THEIR business. Someone being admitted to hospital is NOT public news.
the truth thats who i am

Grand Blanc, MI

#10 Sep 1, 2009
I guess when you have so much corruption going on in our own court house that would explain why there is nothing being done about drug dealing.If you want to sell drugs come to lewistown its all but legal .What they need to do is get rid of mifflin county task force another waste of are tax dollar.IF you dont think it true ask a young guy or girl on the streets to buy a bag of weed most likely they can get it in minutes i give up.
Lewistown Resident

AOL

#11 Nov 5, 2009
JunkE wrote:
I agree with you 100%. There is way more crime that goes on here than the average person would know about because the MCRPD will not provide police reports to the media. Why? Because they want to continue snowballing everybody into believing that they have the drug and crime problems in our area "under control" when in fact its just as bad now if not worse than it ever was.
The drug problem is treated the same way. 5-6 years ago you couldn't open the paper without reading of a drug overdose, now you read none. Is that because the Regional Clowns and Steve Snook and his wonderful Drug Task Force finally got a handle on the situation? Phuck no, its because they couldn't get a handle on it at all, so they quit reporting it in an attempt to save face in the community. Ask any EMT or ER staff around here how many overdoses are treated on a weekly basis in this area..........you'll be shocked to say the least!
oops' a different view now

Lewistown, PA

#12 Nov 5, 2009
Lewistown Resident wrote:
<quoted text>
oops' a different view now
Different view? I said I want to know who's lying, MCPRD or Lewistown Sentinel.

Since: Nov 09

Spring City, PA

#13 Nov 9, 2009
...Go to MCRPD and ask to see their news release book. ACTUALLY LOOK at how many news releases are sent by that department. Review statistics that show how many arrests are being made by the drug task force (waste of tax payer’s money.) GET OFF OF YOUR BUTT! Your questions will be answered. It's so easy to sit at a computer and write your uneducated opinions on a forum.

Lewistown, PA

#14 Nov 9, 2009
rorschach wrote:
...Go to MCRPD and ask to see their news release book. ACTUALLY LOOK at how many news releases are sent by that department. Review statistics that show how many arrests are being made by the drug task force (waste of tax payer’s money.) GET OFF OF YOUR BUTT! Your questions will be answered. It's so easy to sit at a computer and write your uneducated opinions on a forum.
If you're talking to me, you're barking up the wrong tree. I don't just sit behind a computer bitching, I know how many arrests are made, how many calls are responded to, etc. for a fact.

However, I don't know if the reports are actually being sent or not.

Since: Nov 09

Bloomfield Hills, MI

#15 Nov 9, 2009
I'm talking to everyone on this forum. I honestly don't believe that a police officer would type a news release, put a faxed stamp on it and place it in an information book, then not send it out. I have personally gone and looked through there news releases and there are way too many in there to have simply not sent them. If you don't believe me, go look. I was seriously taken back. I too wondered why we never saw anything in the paper, and my answer was that the Sentinel fails to print them.
Milroy

United States

#16 Nov 22, 2009
Personally i think you all need to get out of mifflin county for a while i went to college and have been gone for two years. with Recently moving back i miss the place like crazy the crime is no where near what it is in lancaster or york. down there if you drive through the city and your the wrong color or listening to the wrong music you will get shot. so let the police force go they are doing their jobs.
Lewistown Resident

Harrisburg, PA

#17 Nov 22, 2009
rorschach wrote:
I'm talking to everyone on this forum. I honestly don't believe that a police officer would type a news release, put a faxed stamp on it and place it in an information book, then not send it out. I have personally gone and looked through there news releases and there are way too many in there to have simply not sent them. If you don't believe me, go look. I was seriously taken back. I too wondered why we never saw anything in the paper, and my answer was that the Sentinel fails to print them.
And why do they fail to print them? Jim Tunall, Zimmerman, Jim Zubler, Don Chapman , Steve Snook ,The brotherhood award winner,and Milroy in this town that don't want them to print them .
Lewistown Resident

Harrisburg, PA

#18 Nov 22, 2009
Milroy wrote:
Personally i think you all need to get out of mifflin county for a while i went to college and have been gone for two years. with Recently moving back i miss the place like crazy the crime is no where near what it is in lancaster or york. down there if you drive through the city and your the wrong color or listening to the wrong music you will get shot. so let the police force go they are doing their jobs.

All that you mentioned above and still they allow people to comment on their news articles on their website. Public opinion matters.
Lewistown Resident

Harrisburg, PA

#19 Nov 22, 2009
JunkE wrote:
<quoted text>
If you're talking to me, you're barking up the wrong tree. I don't just sit behind a computer bitching, I know how many arrests are made, how many calls are responded to, etc. for a fact.
However, I don't know if the reports are actually being sent or not.
I also know how many incidents the Police are involved in, it is just under 1000 per month,Remember I have a Scanner, I know a lot of them are stupid stuff and they should not even respond, but the more serious crime should be reported and printed by the Sentinel. If it's bad enough for these other surrounding Counties to report. it's bad enough here also.

Since: Feb 09

Lewistown

#20 Nov 22, 2009
Jonathan Specht wrote:
My word it was like reading my life story 10 years ago...I can empathize with you. My ex went to prison facing a 20 year felony charge. He got out in 6 months and was told that if he broke his parole one time, he'd go back and serve the full 20 years. That was 10 years ago. If you look him up on the Mifflin Co Inmate Lookup Tool...he has one & a half pages of stays in Miffco Prison that have occurred since that time. TEN times he's been back for either a few days or a few weeks. I'm sorry to tell you that sometimes there are people that just get away with it...no other explanation. I'm sorry you have to deal with all that crap, I did too and it's so frustrating.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 10
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lewistown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The Reverend Norman E. Huff Aug '16 Pat Stum Arbegast 1
Looking for Cocker Spaniel Stud to breed with m... (Apr '09) Aug '16 Vita 65
News Four charged with animal cruelty for dropping p... (May '13) Jul '16 jackwell 22
Lewistown Borough Police Department (Nov '09) Jul '16 Angry teenage girl 1,524
vincent e martz egor Jul '16 martz friends 1
News Shooting leaves 2 dead (Jul '15) Jun '16 Nope 7
Let's reminisce! (Apr '10) May '16 Noplacelikehome 339

Lewistown Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Lewistown Mortgages