Assistance office offers food stamp.....

Assistance office offers food stamp.....

There are 231 comments on the The Sentinel story from Mar 30, 2009, titled Assistance office offers food stamp...... In it, The Sentinel reports that:

Note: In an effort to highlight the prevention programs that are available in Mifflin County, Mifflin County Communities That Care is offering a series that will focus on one service provider each month.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Sentinel.

First Prev
of 12
Next Last
Lewistown Resident

AOL

#1 Apr 3, 2009
That's all we need here in Mifflin County, More welfare people , it's bad enough now when you go to the grocery store and see the carts piled full and behind that cart is a young person that should be working ready to punch in the information from his Access Card . I believe the biggest employer here is providing welfare to these people . Another thing is when you see the oil truck coming to your neighbors house with free oil , then in a few weeks you will see a different oil company going there again because there is two people living at that address , each getting energy assistance , so they use different companies so it is not so obvious . Milking the system , but it is providing a job for the people working in the office handing out money. Do they even check if they are paying out duplicate payments to the same address , probably not. How does a working person compete with these welfare people that get everything for nothing , is it fair ? Nobody cares , but it discourages people from doing the right thing .
Needed the help

Harrisburg, PA

#2 Apr 3, 2009
Lewistown Resident wrote:
That's all we need here in Mifflin County, More welfare people
I recently had to apply for foodstamps and I am ashamed every time I have to tell the cashier that I am using them. I am always checking to see who is behind me at Wal-Mart so that someone I know doesn't find out that I needed to get help. I work 40 hours a week but because of the economy my husband has been layed off since last year and with two kids we just couldn't do it alone anymore. I do get frustrated when I find out someone is cheating the system. I work for a living and do the best that I can to support my family yet I am ashamed to have to use foodstamps. We ate ramon noodles for weeks till I finally broke down and got them. I have close friends who would say "You shouldn't feel that way. You work and are doing your best. Your not just milking the system." But honestly how can you tell who the people are that are truely in need of them and those just abusing the system?
Lewistown Resident

AOL

#3 Apr 3, 2009
Needed the help wrote:
<quoted text>
I recently had to apply for foodstamps and I am ashamed every time I have to tell the cashier that I am using them. I am always checking to see who is behind me at Wal-Mart so that someone I know doesn't find out that I needed to get help. I work 40 hours a week but because of the economy my husband has been layed off since last year and with two kids we just couldn't do it alone anymore. I do get frustrated when I find out someone is cheating the system. I work for a living and do the best that I can to support my family yet I am ashamed to have to use foodstamps. We ate ramon noodles for weeks till I finally broke down and got them. I have close friends who would say "You shouldn't feel that way. You work and are doing your best. Your not just milking the system." But honestly how can you tell who the people are that are truely in need of them and those just abusing the system?
It sounds like you are one of the people the system was designed to help until you get back to helping yourself . It is the people that uses the system as a way of life that really ruins it for others. It is hard to tell who is the real people in need and the freeloaders . One way is that them freeloaders or career welfare people are not convicted for abusing the system ,they think of it as a way of life , not as you feel bad for having to get help. Hoping things look up for you and that things can get back to normal where you can regain your pride.
Pa Resident

Lansing, MI

#4 Apr 5, 2009
You know this kind of talk is what causes people that really need the assistance to turn away from it. We should encourage those that need it to not be ashamed. I know that I have needed help and I am not ashamed. I work and I have kids. The system is what makes it hard for us to get off of it. You work more hours then you pay more for bills and you can't get help. If my husband was laid off for a whole year I would tell him to get up off his lazy ass and get a job! You can't wait for an employer to sell themselves to you, you have to sell yourself!
Needed the help

Lancaster, PA

#5 Apr 6, 2009
Pa Resident wrote:
You know this kind of talk is what causes people that really need the assistance to turn away from it. We should encourage those that need it to not be ashamed. I know that I have needed help and I am not ashamed. I work and I have kids. The system is what makes it hard for us to get off of it. You work more hours then you pay more for bills and you can't get help. If my husband was laid off for a whole year I would tell him to get up off his lazy ass and get a job! You can't wait for an employer to sell themselves to you, you have to sell yourself!
It is not my husbands fault that he doesn't have a job. He is out looking for work along with the other thousands of displaced workers. When you have done a trade job for 23 years and have no other type of work experience those that do get the jobs first. He has to do little side jobs just to bring something to the household. So in no way is it his fault that he doesn't have work. He is not a lazy ass like you seem to think he is. I am guessing that no one in your family (living with you) has lost their job or you would understand what this economy is doing to our working force.
Pa Resident

Lansing, MI

#6 Apr 6, 2009
Needed the help wrote:
<quoted text>
It is not my husbands fault that he doesn't have a job. He is out looking for work along with the other thousands of displaced workers. When you have done a trade job for 23 years and have no other type of work experience those that do get the jobs first. He has to do little side jobs just to bring something to the household. So in no way is it his fault that he doesn't have work. He is not a lazy ass like you seem to think he is. I am guessing that no one in your family (living with you) has lost their job or you would understand what this economy is doing to our working force.
Your exactly right, noone in my house has lost their job, but then again its me and my children!
I have lost my job in tough times but noone is going to hand me everything i need. I have to go get it.
Needed the help

Harrisburg, PA

#7 Apr 7, 2009
I am glad that you have a job and can support your children. That is why you don't understand what its like to try and get a job during these times. As I said before there are thousands looking and those with experience get called first. What pi$$ed me off was your lazy a$$ statement. He is far from lazy and for someone like you to pass judgement is just plain ignorance. I just hope that this poor economy doesn't ever effect you and your children as it has mine because maybe that would mean you would be standing in front of me using your foodstamp card!
Pa Resident

Lansing, MI

#8 Apr 7, 2009
Hey listen I am sorry you are right I do not know what goes on in your home anymore than you know what goes on in mine. I am that person in front of you using foodstamps. I am not ashamed. It feeds me and my children. God Bless and I will pray for better times, for the both of our families!
Needed the help

Harrisburg, PA

#9 Apr 16, 2009
Pa Resident wrote:
Hey listen I am sorry you are right I do not know what goes on in your home anymore than you know what goes on in mine. I am that person in front of you using foodstamps. I am not ashamed. It feeds me and my children. God Bless and I will pray for better times, for the both of our families!
I will do the same:) It is going to get better it is only a matter of getting throught the tough times. It just frustrates me that people pass judgement on someone for needing help but they really don't know the situation. The first time I had to use foodstamps I was so ashamed but my 11 year old son looked at me and said "Mom you work and you have two kids. Its not your fault he lost his job. We all need to eat and it will be okay. Hold your head up." That was what made me realize that I shouldn't be ashamed. I wasn't at home watching the soaps thinking that the world owed me something. Everything I have I worked for. I wasn't born with a silver spoon in my mouth. I take care of what I have and am very thankful that I am healthy enough to work and support my family the best I can....although I could use a better paying job but really who couldn't. It really is a touchy subject. I just try to think of the person in front of me using foodstamps as being in my shoes and I am less likely to pass judgement. You just can't always tell by looking at someone if they need it or abuse it. Good luck to you and kudo's for doing all on your own.
Lewistown Resident

AOL

#10 Apr 18, 2009
Needed the help wrote:
<quoted text>
I was just looking at the wanted adds in the Sentinel , ARBY'S out at Toms Travel center is looking for someone to work , There is your chance to give up on those food stamps and make money the ole fashion way as EF Hutton says , You earn it .
Needed the help

Harrisburg, PA

#11 Apr 20, 2009
<quoted text>
I was just looking at the wanted adds in the Sentinel , ARBY'S out at Toms Travel center is looking for someone to work , There is your chance to give up on those food stamps and make money the ole fashion way as EF Hutton says , You earn it .
Thank you so much for your concern but he now has employment. As for giving up the food stamps I don't think that you could make enough at Arby's to get off of them but hey at least it would be more of an income than he had before. We are just greatful that he found a job.
PA worker

AOL

#12 Aug 13, 2009
I understand that some people need help because of the economy and things that happen. But I work at a convience store and I see people come in and spend 50 60 dollars on junk and cold subs at one time. After they whip out the EBT card to pay they turn around and buy cartons of smokes and lottery tickets!!! Come on!!! EBT should only be used to buy food at a grocery store. If they have money for lottery tickets and smokes they should have money for food. The worst part is that most of the people that use the EBT card at my store are young and healthy, the women all have manicured nails and expensive purses!!!When I was 18 I had a job not welfare.....Oh I also had and still have SELF RESPECT!!!!! Its digusting that the goverment lets this happen.
Lewistown Resident

Lancaster, PA

#13 Aug 14, 2009
I agree with you 100%, and it is really discussing that these support groups are recuiting these kind of people just so they have a job. That is the biggest industry here in Lewistown people working handing out to these bums that could be working supporting themselves. Digusting is not even a big enough word for it .
Lewistown Resident

AOL

#14 Aug 14, 2009
That's why Obama got elected, there so many people out there with their hands out for freebees, they elected him. So now they expect us to keep giving even if you don't want too. They will make laws you have too.

Since: Aug 09

Lebanon, PA

#15 Aug 14, 2009
I fully agree with the families who seek assistance during very difficult times. There is nothing wrong with it when used the way it was intended. I strongly oppose free handouts and believe that the Welfare System should find a job in the community for each recipient to do while they are receiving the benefits. Think of all the things they could do...... Sweep sidewalks, clean public rest areas and parks, clean up trash along roadways, work with road crews, if qualified they can do clerical jobs, work in daycare, nursing homes, the list is endless. I also believe they should be drug tested in a random way on a regular basis. But the big point is no one in true need of assistance should ever be ashamed to use it. People who mindlessly say judgmental things (to make our own good neighbors who are in a desperate situation because of the failing economy feel like lowlife scum) should keep their opinions to themselves unless they know the person (for a fact) is abusing the system. As for the PA Worker who talks about the misuse of the system in their store... You are right.... It must be hard for you to be courteous and do your job.
Lewistown Resident

AOL

#16 Aug 15, 2009
Hemlock Lane wrote:
I fully agree with the families who seek assistance during very difficult times. There is nothing wrong with it when used the way it was intended. I strongly oppose free handouts and believe that the Welfare System should find a job in the community for each recipient to do while they are receiving the benefits. Think of all the things they could do...... Sweep sidewalks, clean public rest areas and parks, clean up trash along roadways, work with road crews, if qualified they can do clerical jobs, work in daycare, nursing homes, the list is endless. I also believe they should be drug tested in a random way on a regular basis. But the big point is no one in true need of assistance should ever be ashamed to use it. People who mindlessly say judgmental things (to make our own good neighbors who are in a desperate situation because of the failing economy feel like lowlife scum) should keep their opinions to themselves unless they know the person (for a fact) is abusing the system. As for the PA Worker who talks about the misuse of the system in their store... You are right.... It must be hard for you to be courteous and do your job.
Sounds like I am saying the same thing you are but not going around the bush about it, them days are over,we tried that for too long, In todays times you have to be direct or these free loaders take it as just another joke. No longer Mr.and Mrs. nice person.

Lebanon, PA

#17 Aug 15, 2009
<quoted text>
Sounds like I am saying the same thing you are but not going around the bush about it, them days are over,we tried that for too long, In todays times you have to be direct or these free loaders take it as just another joke. No longer Mr.and Mrs. nice person.
I do not recall when the Welfare Department assigned jobs duties to recipients of public assistance benefits. I also do not recall when they did any type of drug screening so that individuals can retain the benefit. Theses two measures would certainly impact the type of people sucking the system dry.
Lewistown Resident

AOL

#18 Aug 16, 2009

Your right, they don't, that's why I think the same as you that they need to do that, where we different is when you soft talk them to not be ashamed because they are abusing the system as they were doing in the store where you worked . They need to be aware that people know what they are doing and it is not right.

Lebanon, PA

#19 Aug 16, 2009
Drug testing and assigned job duties are a way of eliminating the ones who refuse to help themselves and want to freeload from the system that was designed to help genuine needy families. My Mother was a caseworker (years ago) and it was common place for certain individuals to continue popping out kids to maintain their benefits. That just makes me want to scream. There are people who are too freaking lazy to work.... that's why I say put them to work...no freeloading! We all know about the ones who "sell" their food stamps to buy drugs and alcohol, probably causing their own children to go hungry. BUT.... Why should someone who is caught in a desperate situation be ashamed if they temporarily need help?
Lewistown Resident

AOL

#20 Aug 16, 2009

Shame comes from within a person if they do nothing to be ashamed of, none will come out and they have nothing to fear.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 12
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lewistown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Looking for Cocker Spaniel Stud to breed with m... (Apr '09) May 23 Bohan7 61
Let's reminisce! (Apr '10) May 22 Noplacelikehome 339
News Coroner: Man missing since Saturday found dead ... (Jan '14) May 22 JAMES A CARSON 4
Mifflin County Schools May 1 Masterofall 2
Sleeping CO back to work???? (May '15) Apr '16 masterpieceman 16
Mifflin County DA Makes excuses for Larry Wise ! (Aug '11) Feb '16 wrongfully accused 29
News Expense records sought from Elizabeth Forward b... (May '15) Jan '16 Cornell Poltergeist 26
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Lewistown Mortgages