First Prev
of 17
Next Last
Justice for all

Canton, OH

#323 Jun 3, 2012
Wow, sounds like some good stuff there gang. Way before all the drugs, dopers and thieves. Sad to see Lewistown in such a shambles now. No police protection and corruption is running wild. Sure would be nice to relive those good ole days for sure.
jackieo

Lancaster, PA

#324 Jun 3, 2012
Do you remember Rialto Theater (I worked for Mr Hickey as an usher for awhile)
Also worked at Letterman's Bakery. Dances after football games on Friday night at the Y.M.C.A. Hanging out at 5 points watching the women go by. I had a friend that lived on the 800 block of south Grand street and some on south Wayne . Gone but not forgotten.

Since: May 12

Flint, MI

#325 Jun 3, 2012
I remember the Rialto. The bakery sounds familiar but no sure. I remember the Friday night dances at the Y. I lived in the 600 block of S. Grand. My grandparents lived at 601 S. Wayne. Also lived on Fairview Place in Lombardy Circle. Haven't been back to Lewistown in many years. Left in 1960.

“Why all the negativity?”

Since: Aug 07

Lewistown, PA

#326 Jun 8, 2012
Burnhamite wrote:
<quoted text>
quarter was definitely worth more then, because .15 +.05 +.10 equals .30
That's funny..........nice catch!
jackieo

Lancaster, PA

#327 Jun 8, 2012
cookbook wrote:
I remember the Rialto. The bakery sounds familiar but no sure. I remember the Friday night dances at the Y. I lived in the 600 block of S. Grand. My grandparents lived at 601 S. Wayne. Also lived on Fairview Place in Lombardy Circle. Haven't been back to Lewistown in many years. Left in 1960.
How about the 5 cent bags of Hartley chips and a 5 cent Hersey bar from R & D's and then going to the Pastime (ROXIE) to watch westerns for 5 cents and still had a dime to spend from my weekly allowance of 25 cents. What was the name of the little grocery store on wayne street? It was on the first block going towards Green Gables. The McCormicks (not sure of the spelling) leaved across the street from it and the Pennabakers lived right beside the store, and Berries lived in that area too. Also the Havice's. That end of town is also pretty rough, in fact the whole down town area is rough. When we drive though I tell the Mrs. to roll the window up and lock the doors. GOTTA GO!

Flint, MI

#328 Jun 21, 2012
I remember Hartley's Chips...the best ever. They were fried in lard... that's what made them so good. Used to go to R&D sometimes after school and get a chocolate Coke and an order of raisin toast. Are you talking about the grocery store that I think was near the scrap yard? It was on the left going toward Green Gables. Was it Hogues? Was it like the 300 or 400 block of Wayne. If so I used to ride my bike down there. I'll be anxious to know if that's the one. There were a couple more much closer to Green Gables. Did you go to 7th Ward Elementry and LHS. If so what year did you graduate?
jackieo

Harrisburg, PA

#329 Jun 21, 2012
Yes that was Hogues, but there was another one on the left going towards town right next to the alley way, I think it was the 100 block. I went to Toll Gate and Logan Street and yes I went to the old LHS, My class was '53 and my wife was Burnham Derry '55. We are having a heat wave here in PA. It has been close to 100 yesterday and today and maybe tomorrow and then it is suppose to cool down a little bit. Very nice chatting with you.

Flint, MI

#330 Jun 22, 2012
Don't remember anything closer to town then Hogues. I do remember mom & pop's closer to Green Gables. Born in Lewistown in 1944. Family moved to Harrisburg my junior year in 1960. I would have been LHS class of 62. Sorry to hear Lewistown is no longer the place we grew up. I have nothing but fond memories. My husband and I live near DC now but often think about making a day trip to Lewistown. My grandparents and several other relatives are burried there. Maybe it would be best not to return. I do enjoy chatting about better times. Do you remember Globe Home Furnishing on Dorcas St. off Main next to the BF Goodrich store and right down the street from The Sentinal and across the street from Leorisis Restaunant.
jackieo

Lancaster, PA

#331 Jun 22, 2012
If you have fond memories of Lewistown I would think it not best to return. The down town section isn't really too bad, but all the streets leading to downtown are terrible and not safe even in day time. Yes I remember Globe Home Furnishing. I delivered the Harrisburg Telegraph paper in those days and it cost 15 cents a week. So to go on with the story: we had an icebox and we had to get ice every several days and I didn't like my friends to see this, so I went down to Globes to see if I (being 13 or 14) to get a refrigerator on credit. Well they said sure but they would have to put a box on the refrig. that would keep it running for 24 hours by inserting a quarter evert day and at the end of the month I would take the box down to make my monthly payment. And thats how we got the refrig. And I also did the same thing for our first TV. And OH Leorisis Restaurant made the best Coconut Cream Pie. Reds Diner is still here. I think they relocated it. I think I was only at Reds once or twice, I didn't think too much of the place. The lower end of Main St. is pretty much the same except a housing development on the left side leaving town and of course the narrows is gone. Big 4 lane highway now from Harrisburg to the other side of 7 mountains. Gotta go Shepard Smith is coming on TV. Nice chatting with you. .

Flint, MI

#332 Jun 23, 2012
You really remembered Globe Home Furnishings. I'm glad you didn't say anything negative about them because my father was the owner. I'm very sure you delt with either my father or grandfather. My mother would take us kids to the store every Sat. afternoon. My grandfather would give us each a quarter and we would head to Woolworths to quickly spend it. Later we would have dinner at Leorisis. Steve and Phoebe Leoris were good friends of our family. Yes, her homemade pies were delish! I still remember their chicken croquettes w/ mashed potatos and gravey. It's crazy how memories you haven't thought of for years start rushing back. I remember Red's Diner but it wasn't exactly a family place. Why has Lewistown gone down hill so badly? I'm a Shepard Smith and Fox fan as well.
Once a lewistown resident

Lititz, PA

#333 Jul 2, 2012
Eye Rememba 2 wrote:
Paul Grabbies Hobby Shop Near Bears Den on Valley St.- Skinny's Hoagie Shop on Valley near Lepley's - The Hillside across from Frey Motors Shimps corner store corner of Walnut and Logan - Joe the Motorists Friend on Market - Long's Dairy Logan Blvd -
Paul Grabbie got all my money when I was a kid. My father and I would get our hair cut at Joe Dimieos just across the street ( beside Zampelli TV ) and I would con him into taking me over. Later when I got into railroading he really sucked me dry.
jackieo

Lancaster, PA

#334 Jul 3, 2012
How about the little houses up from Pine Street along the side of the ridge. The little hoagie shop beside where Lepleys's are now was Stewarts Grocery before the Hoagie shop and Joe Smiley lived next to it and then Freid's (not sure of the spelling) barber shop and a couple of doors from the barber shop was Bergies and his son Earl. They sold used comic books for 2 or 3 cents and buy them for 1 cent. And on the corner across the street from Lepleys (where the mini market is) was Lundval's Atlantic Gas Station, later on it was ESSO, then I think it was Sunoco. Before Paul opened on Valley Street he had his shop on North Walnut St,up Pine and turn left, and we would build model airplanes and other projects. All those days gone but not forgotten.

“Why all the negativity?”

Since: Aug 07

Lewistown, PA

#335 Jul 9, 2012
Those are two far back for me (except Tiny Town). I spent a lot of my money at McNeal's Hobby Shop on Third Street though.
StillLoveandLive There

New York, NY

#336 Jul 9, 2012
Does anyone remember a playground ride at Dickson field (now Rec. Park) we called the Ocean Wave? It pivoted on a center pole with 12' or so round platform to stand on. There were old tires around the poles to cushion when the platform would sway back and forth. And do you remember polishing the slide shoots with them wax paper Hartley's chip bags to make the sliding faster and more fun? And Rosie was the playground supervisor. Great tether ball down there too! Those narly black stones on the road on in the parking areas come to mind. Tough going on a bicycle! Finally, I always enjoyed getting to the Little League baseball field first to be the one who got to read the team line ups over the PA system. Bottle of Coke and bag of Hartley's was the pay! Anyone else remember any of these?

Troy, MI

#337 Sep 13, 2012
I spoke to two old friends last week who recently atteneded the 50th(class of 62)LHS reunion. I haven't been back to Lewistown in at least 45 years. It was wonderful to find out where life has taken "kids" that I've known since 1st grade at 7th Ward Elementry School. Did any of you go there? The principal was Mr Owens and we were all scared stiff of him. He used to paddle kids in the hallway. Maybe we need a little more of that today. It certainly kept us in line. I remember the playground at 7th Ward and waxing the slides with wax paper. They had a supervised summer program that was great. The football field was there as well. We loved the Friday night games. Anyone know what's there now?
D from Maitland

Denver, PA

#338 Nov 27, 2015
Lewistown Resident wrote:
<quoted text>
I remember a Rubins was that after the Bob Davis store closed? Help us out Lillyville. I never was a big time shopper.
Rubin's was between the two lower 5 & 10's. I think Rubin's was closed when Bob Davis Closed. It was a great store. More higher end than Aurands or K's or Lewistown Sporting Goods.
ericloud

Philadelphia, PA

#339 Jan 20, 2016
showin our age wrote:
<quoted text>
I wore an elastic band with a metal tag that was a locker number on my ankle when I swam at Rec Park pool as a child. They would scrape other peoples legs when you were swimming. Also, Crystal Blue Persuasion was played often on the "Juke" box!! Those were the days!
Don't forget BTO and Kung Foo Fighting!
ericloud

Philadelphia, PA

#340 Jan 20, 2016
I also remember moaning when it was adult swim time - age 16 and over!
Noplacelikehome

Palmyra, PA

#341 May 22, 2016
I remember when the parades through town were big. The hot rod cruises around town, downtown after Black Friday was shoulder to shoulder with shoppers. Any body remember the old "Lewistown Liar"?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 17
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lewistown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The Reverend Norman E. Huff Aug 21 Pat Stum Arbegast 1
Looking for Cocker Spaniel Stud to breed with m... (Apr '09) Aug 14 Vita 65
News Four charged with animal cruelty for dropping p... (May '13) Jul '16 jackwell 22
Lewistown Borough Police Department (Nov '09) Jul '16 Angry teenage girl 1,524
vincent e martz egor Jul '16 martz friends 1
News Shooting leaves 2 dead (Jul '15) Jun '16 Nope 7
News Coroner: Man missing since Saturday found dead ... (Jan '14) May '16 JAMES A CARSON 4

Lewistown Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Lewistown Mortgages