Since: Feb 09

Lewistown

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2010

Let's have a pleasant topic and reminisce. I had a "LIFE" Membership patch on my pool towel for the Burnham Pool :)
showin our age

Lancaster, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2010

roundthebend wrote:
Let's have a pleasant topic and reminisce. I had a "LIFE" Membership patch on my pool towel for the Burnham Pool :)
I wore an elastic band with a metal tag that was a locker number on my ankle when I swam at Rec Park pool as a child. They would scrape other peoples legs when you were swimming. Also, Crystal Blue Persuasion was played often on the "Juke" box!! Those were the days!

Lewistown

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2010

Ahh thanks for sharing! Sister Golden Hair-America and Oh ho ho It's Magic-Pilot played over and over on the Burnham Pool Jukebox when I was there. I can't hear either of those songs without the sound of the "high dive" (diving board) in the background!
Milroy

Harrisburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2010

I remember County Roundup days. They boiled low quality hot dogs in a big pot. The highlight was when they threw change into the Rec Park pool, and we would dive in like little nuts. One year I got about $2.00, and I felt like a king.

Woodlawn, East End, South End, West End, 5th Ward were great places to go for kids. Now they are all demolished, delapidated, or sold.

Life was better in the old days.
Lewistown Resident

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2010

Milroy wrote:

Life was better in the old days.
You got that right...
roundthebend

Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2010

It was better. The throwing the change in the pool would have been awesome!

I walked with my daughter the other day & realized she never knew there was a whole neighborhood wiped out at the Lewistown Giant location in 72. I had a cousin who lost his home. We went in on a row boat to see it.

There was also another store in Burnham other than Abey's. It was on the corner of 4th Ave but burned down & has been just a gravel lot ever since which I always thought was odd.
roundthebend

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2010

What was the name of the womens clothing shop along side the Diana Shop? They both had big heavy glass doors. I really miss downtown Lewistown.
lillyville

Lebanon, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2010

It was the Artley shop, I used to go in there and buy skirts for $1.99. I used to swim at Kish Park,back when they still had the rides down there. It sure was better back then.
showin our age

Lancaster, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2010

roundthebend wrote:
What was the name of the womens clothing shop along side the Diana Shop? They both had big heavy glass doors. I really miss downtown Lewistown.
I worked at the Diana Dress shop....it was awesome with the big shadow box displays near the ceiling. Now you can go into the downtown OIP and the new section with the outside seating is part of that store. Downtown used to be great during sidewalk sales days!
showin our age

Lancaster, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2010

Do you remember the pet shop with the monkey named "Love"? Or when Murphys gave out goldfish after the Christmas parade? And that candy counter!!! Oh my!

Lewistown

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 12, 2010

I remember getting the goldfish at Murphy's! The Bumble Bee & Bill Kennedy's Young Mens Shop were very popular too. Kennedy's was the first place in town I think that you could get Levi jeans :) I lived beside the Kennedy family in Burnham when I was very young.
Lewistown Resident

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 12, 2010

showin our age wrote:
Do you remember the pet shop with the monkey named "Love"? Or when Murphys gave out goldfish after the Christmas parade? And that candy counter!!! Oh my!
That was about the same time you could go to the Hardware store on Valley street that had a greeter, not like Walmart, this was a Mynor Bird that said Hello when you entered the door. I think it was Hanes Hardware. It was close to the Bakery that smelled so good as you entered valley st.

Lewistown

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 12, 2010

I must be a few years behind the rest of you. A lot of you are talking unfamiliar things to me...but I find them fascinating. I was born in 1965.
lillyville

Lebanon, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 12, 2010

Roundthebend, you were born the same year as my son. I'm old enough to be your mother.

Lewistown

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 12, 2010

I figured I was at least within 10 years of everybody. I just don't remember so many of these stores. I wish I did.
showin our age

Lancaster, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 12, 2010

roundthebend wrote:
I must be a few years behind the rest of you. A lot of you are talking unfamiliar th ings to me...but I find them fascinating. I was born in 1965.
We're not too far apart..1964! Yikes!
Lewistown Resident

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 13, 2010

Do you remember Dutch's Diner in Lewistown?
lillyville

Lebanon, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 13, 2010

Yes,they were the ones with that great rootbeer. Do you remember the Blue Goose Restraurant?
Lewistown Resident

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 13, 2010

lillyville wrote:
Yes,they were the ones with that great rootbeer. Do you remember the Blue Goose Restraurant?
Yep, I do, across the street from the Brooklyn.
Lewistown Resident

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 13, 2010

How about the ARMY NAVY Store that was east of Lewistown, Kind of like it was in the Narrows. Or Cob Logans Diner up on the west end of Lewistown.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 17
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Lewistown Discussions

Search the Lewistown Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
PA Who do you support for Governor in Pennsylvania... (Oct '10) Mon T Wolf 51,196
Looking for Cocker Spaniel Stud to breed with m... (Apr '09) Mon Ariana 18
PA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Pennsylva... (Oct '10) Mon Eddie Swindell 3,824
Girl Scout Cookies Jun '14 Higherprices 1
Who wants a new DA in Mifflin County? I think i... (Apr '11) Jun '14 FYI 177
Barron verses Searer (Aug '13) Jun '14 Sick of NJ 78
Heroes on the front Jun '14 West Ender 1
•••
•••
•••
•••

Lewistown Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••