N. Idaho authorities not ready to dro...

N. Idaho authorities not ready to drop cold case

There are 728 comments on the KGW-TV Portland story from Feb 16, 2009, titled N. Idaho authorities not ready to drop cold case. In it, KGW-TV Portland reports that:

Kristin David disappeared in June 1981 while riding her bicycle from Moscow to Clarkston, and about a week later the dismembered body of the 22-year-old University of Idaho student was found in the Snake River.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KGW-TV Portland.

LC valley resident

Lewiston, ID

#487 May 17, 2011
Crescent Crow -
I have been a resident of the LC valley since 1994. Until yesterday, all I knew of these murders was what I had read in the newspaper over the years. Yesterday I was researching the (unrelated and solved) murder twenty years ago of a young woman whose remains were found on property we owned elsewhere in the state, and I came across this thread. I am amazed at what you have accomplished. In reading the thread, I noticed a couple of things that I would like to mention to you in case you hadn't noticed them. Also, intrigued, today I drove to the domed houses and to the house in Asotin from which the young girl disappeared in 1979. I tried to imagine what the POI would have done once he had the opportunity to muder this young girl. I have some thoughts on that, as well, if you are interested.
I do not wish to share this on this thread, so if you could provide me with an e-mail or private place to chat, I'd be happy to share my thoughts, if you are interested. I will give you the information you need to identify me and verify that I am not a nut.
Shir

Finland

#488 May 22, 2011
Is there a photo of Lawrence Voss anywhere? There must be some from the time he worked at the theatre. Could anyone possibly put one of them online?

“Idaho Wilderness”

Since: Apr 07

Lewiston, ID

#489 May 22, 2011
Shir wrote:
Is there a photo of Lawrence Voss anywhere? There must be some from the time he worked at the theatre. Could anyone possibly put one of them online?
Who is Lawrence Voss? If you meant Lance Voss, No.
CrescentCrow

Crescent City, CA

#490 May 31, 2011
LC valley resident wrote:
Crescent Crow -
I have been a resident of the LC valley since 1994. Until yesterday, all I knew of these murders was what I had read in the newspaper over the years. Yesterday I was researching the (unrelated and solved) murder twenty years ago of a young woman whose remains were found on property we owned elsewhere in the state, and I came across this thread. I am amazed at what you have accomplished. In reading the thread, I noticed a couple of things that I would like to mention to you in case you hadn't noticed them. Also, intrigued, today I drove to the domed houses and to the house in Asotin from which the young girl disappeared in 1979. I tried to imagine what the POI would have done once he had the opportunity to muder this young girl. I have some thoughts on that, as well, if you are interested.
I do not wish to share this on this thread, so if you could provide me with an e-mail or private place to chat, I'd be happy to share my thoughts, if you are interested. I will give you the information you need to identify me and verify that I am not a nut.
Please feel free to contact me at 7 0 7 - 2 1 8 - 8 3 6 0
I will also be in Lewiston on June 9th & 10th and staying at the Red Lion Motel in Lewiston. In case you did not see it in earlier posts my name is Gloria Bobertz.
Philo

San Diego, CA

#491 Jun 7, 2011
Chris wrote:
Yes crescent crow, I'm aware he is now. But I knew him and there is just no way.
I knew him as well back in the 80's. I heard him talking about these issues but the context was that the police were insulting his intelligence. He was more angry and concerned that the police would consider him stupid enough to bury a body on his own property than he was about clearing his name.

He considered himself smarter than the police and was very smug about the fact that he would not cooperate with them. He said they were trying to pin this on him but other than the initial interviews would not cooperate to clear his name. He contributed his DNA to OTHER murder cases in Spokane but only with the restriction that it not be used in other cases. That was a deliberate slap in the face to these murder investigations, the victims, and the surviving friends and family.

In retrospect, Lance Voss has been in the wrong places at the wrong times and is a victim of some wild coincidences or at the very least knows more about these cases than he wil admit.

Since: Aug 09

Moscow, ID

#492 Jun 11, 2011
The documentary was shown last night in Lewiston and finally after over 30 years Law Enforcement gave the name of the suspect/person of interest, Lance Voss. Perhaps this will bring in more information regarding these cases.
kline

Orofino, ID

#493 Jun 11, 2011
Philo wrote:
<quoted text>
I knew him as well back in the 80's. I heard him talking about these issues but the context was that the police were insulting his intelligence. He was more angry and concerned that the police would consider him stupid enough to bury a body on his own property than he was about clearing his name.
He considered himself smarter than the police and was very smug about the fact that he would not cooperate with them. He said they were trying to pin this on him but other than the initial interviews would not cooperate to clear his name. He contributed his DNA to OTHER murder cases in Spokane but only with the restriction that it not be used in other cases. That was a deliberate slap in the face to these murder investigations, the victims, and the surviving friends and family.
In retrospect, Lance Voss has been in the wrong places at the wrong times and is a victim of some wild coincidences or at the very least knows more about these cases than he wil admit.
If you mean 'being in the wrong places at the wrong time'as being the person committing these murders at the time the victims were cold bloodedly murdered then I couldnt agree more.
And you can rest assured he has ALL kinds of information about these murders then he has admitted.
To badly paraphrase scripture 'what was said in secret is now being shouted from the roof tops' after nearly three decades its time for Voss to account for the lives of these five people in a court of law.
The citizens of this Valley are owed an accounting by their elected officials in the local halls of justice as well as by Voss preferably by Grand Jury.

“Idaho Wilderness”

Lewiston, ID

#495 Jun 11, 2011
Justice seeker wrote:
Here is the article:
Disappearance documentary opens in valley
By Kevin Gaboury of The Tribune
June 10, 2011
In their documentary "Confluence," Lewiston filmmakers Vernon Lott and Jennifer Anderson set about to explore the shocking disappearances of a girl, three young women and a man from the Lewiston-Clarkston Valley between 1979 and 1982.
The end result is a sometimes heartbreaking, sentimental tale about the effects of time on the deepest wounds a family can suffer and the circumstances behind the cases and why they remain unsolved after more than 30 years.
The husband-and-wife team started shooting in July last year and recently wrapped up the final edits. Now, they're excited for the film's first public screening tonight at the Red Lion Hotel in Lewiston.
Lott, however, said he's been wanting to make the events into a film since 2003. The 36-year-old grew up in the Lewiston-Clarkston Valley, and headlines of the violent and mysterious cases stuck with him over the years.
"I don't remember firsthand the Christina White disappearance, but I definitely remember Kristin David and the (Lewiston) Civic Theatre cases," he said. "I read the Tribune and kind of saw this whole story come together and become what it is right now - still unsolved."
White, 12, disappeared from Asotin in the spring of 1976 and has not been seen since. Two years later, David, 22, disappeared while riding her bike from Moscow to Lewiston. Her body was later found - dismembered and in plastic bags - by boaters on the Snake River.
In 1982, stepsisters Kristina Nelson, 21, and Jacqueline (Brandi) Miller, 18, and Steven Pearsall, 35, disappeared from near the Lewiston Civic Theatre. The women's bodies were discovered by a teen outside of Kendrick a year and a half later, but Pearsall has never been found.
The film includes interviews with retired and active law enforcement officials, but some of its most emotional moments are the raw, intimate interviews with victims' family members. Anderson, who conducted most of the interviews, said she and her husband are grateful they were willing to participate.
I think being able to get to know these people was a good experience," she said. "It was a powerful experience ... to see how these incidents that happened 30 years ago are still affecting and time has kind of stopped for them."
Anderson and Lott had help from London-based cinematographer Philip Bloom and Christian Kinnard, who also worked on the Bill Maher documentary "Religulous." The viewer is drawn into the film by sweeping, panoramic views of the Lewiston-Clarkston Valley and a moody sound track courtesy of Peter Broderick, formerly of the Portland-based band Horsefeathers.
"He nailed it," Lott said. "There are just so many different sounds and he really kind of captures the different tones of the film, from the really dark stuff to the more sweet and sentimental."
While no arrest has ever been made in any of the cases because of a lack of physical evidence, a Lewiston police officer names the longstanding "person of interest" during an interview.
Lott said the person, who no longer lives in the area, declined to be interviewed for the documentary.
The film comes in at around 53 minutes long, which required editing countless hours of interviews and other footage, Anderson said.
"We wanted to have it broadcast length so perhaps we could screen it on television," Lott said.
It will also be available on Amazon Video on Demand and iTunes by the end of summer, he added.
Lott said he's happy he was able to keep the film's production "in the family" and completely independent of Hollywood. He's also surprised at how quickly it came together.
"We got really lucky on so many fronts," he said. "I'm incredibly proud of it."
I had to remove the phone number and link to post this article.

“Idaho Wilderness”

Lewiston, ID

#496 Jun 11, 2011
Where were The Tribune reporterS and KLEW-TV cameras last night? We've been led to believe in this valley for 30 years that if LAW ENFORCEMENT NAMED THEIR SUSPECT TO THE PUBLIC that the press could and WOULD then PUT HIS NAME IN PRINT!!!

Their silence speaks volumes! This is yet another slap in the face by The Tribune and KLEW-TV to the VICTIMS AND THEIR FAMILIES.
kline

Boise, ID

#497 Jun 13, 2011
Justice seeker wrote:
Where were The Tribune reporterS and KLEW-TV cameras last night? We've been led to believe in this valley for 30 years that if LAW ENFORCEMENT NAMED THEIR SUSPECT TO THE PUBLIC that the press could and WOULD then PUT HIS NAME IN PRINT!!!
Their silence speaks volumes! This is yet another slap in the face by The Tribune and KLEW-TV to the VICTIMS AND THEIR FAMILIES.
I know for a fact the tribune has printed other articles in their National and Northwest sections that have named 'Primary Suspects' in a variety of cases.....what makes Voss so special?
Keeping up his anonymity in the very area where many may have information were they able to place Voss in the context of the investigtaion has certanly been a major factor in his continued freedom and an obstacle to the development of new information.
If Voss is innocent and has a problem with his name being bandied about in connection with this he was given an excellent opportunity to knock it all into a cocked hat by telling his side by the makers of 'Confluence' he (or his wife) choose not to address it and declined.
Its time for the press to stop inadvertantly providing him with cover ...they cant be sued for indentifying him as the primary suspect he IS the primary suspect.

“Idaho Wilderness”

Lewiston, ID

#498 Jun 13, 2011
Lance Voss inserted himself into the Christine White case from the very beginning. He showed up at the search for her with a towel wrapped around his neck and was in Betty Wilks face wanting to lead the search in a certain direction.

He told the police he was the last person to see Christina and that he gave her a wet towel when she became ill.

His future stepson, Clint Clarneau, also claimed to be the last person to see Christina and that he gave her a wet washcloth.

Clint Clarneau says he doesn't know why Lance Voss said he gave Christina a towel or claimed to be the last person to see Christina because Voss is telling lies.

Clint Clarneau claims to have a photographic memory and recalls the events of the day Christina vanished as if it happened yesterday.

“Idaho Wilderness”

Lewiston, ID

#499 Jun 13, 2011
Philo wrote:
I knew the 'person of interest'(POI) when I was growing up. I knew his stepson and was at their house in Asotin and when they moved to Clarkston later. I remember that he was incredibly strong - he had the heavy sword from when he performed "Man of La Mancha", hanging in the living room. It was nearly as tall as I was and the POI could easily lift it with one hand. He also had a commendation from the California State Police for pulling someone from a burning vehicle years back hanging next to it - he was very proud of that.
He seemed like a good person - just very eccentric. I remember listening to the POI go on about how the cops had accused him of these crimes and how they had nothing on him and how they were harassing him. His wife stood by him in support. Looking back on it now after a few years of college psychology and criminology classes I realized that the POI was probably bragging, not complaining. Also, I remembered reactions and odd comments from his stepson (who was also very quirky). I believe the stepson knows something or was forced to participate but unfortunately I can't prove anything and I don't think his stepson would ever say anything to the police.
The man is very smart. If he did do these things I don't believe he left any evidence or kept any incriminating trophies or at least hid them very well.
If anything trips him up it will be his arrogance. I believe he like to 'hide in plain sight' as it were. He enjoys that everyone suspects him but that noone can prove it. I remember him talking about thefibers from the rope from the Civic Theatre were traced to him but as he said, the evidence was circumstantial as he was one of many people in the theatre who had come in contact with the rope.
I believe the police will not name him as they have already been sued by him for harrassment and don't want to get into another legal battle until they have concrete evidence.
He has now been publicly named as their suspect by tht LEWISTON POLICE DEPARTMENT. YAY!!!!
kline

Boise, ID

#500 Jun 13, 2011
Justice seeker wrote:
<quoted text>
He has now been publicly named as their suspect by tht LEWISTON POLICE DEPARTMENT. YAY!!!!
Ditto that 'Yay!!'
Now if we could just seen him publicly named as the subject of a Grand Jury indictment.....

“Idaho Wilderness”

Lewiston, ID

#501 Jun 14, 2011
kline wrote:
<quoted text>
Ditto that 'Yay!!'
Now if we could just seen him publicly named as the subject of a Grand Jury indictment.....
Hi kline,
That is our next uphill battle. We are going to push hard for a grand jury investigation and, hopefully, indictment of Lance Voss.
tantalus

Honolulu, HI

#502 Jul 7, 2011
Not to oversimplify, but cant we use the DNA sample provided by Voss for the Spokane killings and use this for the Lewiston/Clarkston Valley killings based upon the Patriot Act?(not suggesting that Voss is foreign- but perhaps deserves a review- he is a mail carrier and that makes him in a higher profile position for information) It just seems that people are quick to say that the Patriot Act gives away too many liberties and then not be able to use that same argument and just test the sample? Even based on the DNA Analysis Backlog Elimination Act? I think if I was in the law enforcement arena I would be very willing to test this theory.
Yes, a stretch, I know. I know. I don't really need to be chastised, just looking to bend the rules that need to be broken.

“Idaho Wilderness”

Lewiston, ID

#503 Aug 2, 2011
The documentary,'Confluence' will be available on Amazon.com Video on Demand and iTunes by the end of summer, 2011.

“Idaho Wilderness”

Lewiston, ID

#504 Oct 9, 2011
CrescentCrow wrote:
To the suspect:
Do you have any contact with your biological daughter ?
According to a reliable source, Voss has NO natural children of his own. I know this contradicts what we have heard before.

“Idaho Wilderness”

Lewiston, ID

#505 Oct 24, 2011
Justice seeker wrote:
The documentary,'Confluence' will be available on Amazon.com Video on Demand and iTunes by the end of summer, 2011.
The Documentary has been released. Voss is getting his 15 minutes of fame now but that is not enough. WE want a grand jury and trial!
Ron Swanson

Lewiston, ID

#506 Oct 30, 2011
Where is it available? Couldn't find it on Amazon.
PinkCrayon

Raymond, Canada

#507 Nov 13, 2011
Ron Swanson wrote:
Where is it available? Couldn't find it on Amazon.
Can't find it on Itunes either.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lewiston Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: Changepoint Jul 1 mamacita 1
huge planes flying over in formation and right ... (Jan '15) Jan '15 catbug65 1
Mad Dog BBQ (Jan '15) Jan '15 Scooby 1
News Lewiston passes law protecting gays, lesbians (Oct '14) Oct '14 Xstain Mullah Aroma 14
News Cold case from 32-years ago continues with body... (Jul '14) Aug '14 confused 2
Review: Ernies Steakhouse (Jun '14) Jun '14 quilcene 1
News City council votes in favor of buying Port of L... (Mar '14) Mar '14 oldhdrider 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Lewiston Mortgages