Gale

Plummer, ID

#1 Jan 18, 2012
I find it curious that most of the opposition to this endeavor comes from environmental groups and not the local populace. I have done extensive research, albeit online which some folks use to obtain a college degree, which does not support the harm to the environment that some groups state.

In the early 70's there was much opposition to the Alaskan pipeline which promised employment opportunities for a lot of people, including Vietnam veterans, according to the environmental groups this was going to have a devastating effect on the Alaskan wildlife population. I challenge you to contact the locals there and ask if these were the actual results or if the wildlife has survived or perhaps even became more abundant.

Another environmental catastrophe, according to the environmentalist, were the offshore wells in the Gulf of Mexico. I concede that the BP spill was a hazard to marine and aquatic life. However I must also state that in June of 2010 I had the opportunity to do some deep sea fishing with a group of locals out of Gulfport, MS. They are recreational fishermen but most have lived there all their live. They regretted the lose of opportunity to fish during the BP spill but all agreed that the fishing is now better than it has been in years. Oh by the way we went out 70 miles from the coast and did all of our fishing while tied up to offshore oil rigs where the marine life is abundant.

It is my opinion that the folks that challenge different and new ideas should perhaps look at previous opposition to a different way doing things and learn a lesson.

I hope that the mega-loads continue to roll through Idaho and Montana and help us alleviate our dependence on middle east oil until a viable option is available.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lewiston Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: Michelle's Car Service (Sep '13) Oct '17 rshay 3
Footsie at a library (Apr '17) Sep '17 2all 2
News N. Idaho authorities not ready to drop cold case (Feb '09) Aug '17 2all 749
News Dworshak Dam wins 'potentially unsafe' rating (Jan '09) May '17 Nez Perce County ... 50
Lapwai Strugz (Apr '09) Mar '17 Grmstrs 5
News Lewiston theft suspect tries to escape from pol... (Sep '16) Sep '16 Stephany McDowell 1
Looking for Imogene Goudy (Apr '10) Aug '16 Ramsey 3

Lewiston Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Lewiston Mortgages