Roger B

Princeton, WV

#22 Sep 17, 2012
Shame wrote:
We cannot even keep the small theater at the mall full to capacity, how the devil will a theater that seats 1000 ever survive? The population of the whole county for 2011 was only 35,800. I am all for bringing in new business, but let's not set one up for failure right off the bat. "Too much development" is absolutely spot on with his statement of this being a waste of the developer's money.
As someone who sees's the lot several hours of the day I can assure you that 3/4 of the pumps are in use generally 6 to 9 hours a day and usually more so during some holidays. Don't get on here and try to make a point if you do not have your facts straight.
Roger B

Princeton, WV

#23 Sep 17, 2012
Too much development wrote:
<quoted text>
That's ridiculous. Go Mart rarely has folks pumping gas at more than a third of the pumps at any one given time (rolls eyes and sighs at exaggerations)
As someone who sees's the lot several hours of the day I can assure you that 3/4 of the pumps are in use generally 6 to 9 hours a day and usually more so during some holidays. Don't get on here and try to make a point if you do not have your facts straight.

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#24 Sep 17, 2012
Actually, eight theaters sounds just about right for this area. Two is too few, but we certainly don't need a 15-screen megaplex. I think part of the reason our current 'mall' theater has such sporadic business is the films they host and WHEN they host them. Most people who follow popular culture want to see the seasons' blockbusters RIGHT NOW, not a MONTH from now. By that time most of the people who REALLY wanted to see it have already driven to Beckley and Roanoke and HAVE seen it.
lol

United States

#25 Sep 17, 2012
Heard the county was getting a peice of that land ready to build a new building for the sheriffs department so they can tear down the old jail to make way for a pond full of those fancy gold fish.
i love imax

Danielson, CT

#26 Sep 17, 2012
I Love IMAX Theatre they are ultimate. I would love one here.
lol

United States

#27 Sep 17, 2012
The big lot at the sheriffs department would make an nice spot to let people park at and walk through town. Wonder why the town hasn't thought of that?
eatmorebeef

Charleston, WV

#28 Sep 17, 2012
<quoted text>Ivan, is that you? Sounds like your Insanity. Build it and the will come? Just ask Carmike and Marquee how well the multiplexes do in the big cities of Bluefield/Princeton, Summerville, Clarksburg.....they come on weekends, but a thousand seats? No way. Tax Write-off, I think. I worked at Cinemas 8 in Bluefield, which had 50,000 folks in a 15 mile radius... They operated at a loss as a tax write off to their bigger city counterparts. True story. Three years I was there and saw most week nights bring in about 20 people. Having 8 more screens in Lewisburg just doesn't make economic sense. Money laundering perhaps?
Tax write off? You can't use tax write offs without income. You don't get tax refunds for losing money- you can carry losses forward, but can't use them unless you make money eventually
whatnext

Princeton, WV

#29 Sep 17, 2012
The "Lewisburg Lake" with a large outside "bathroom" for people standing in line for a "movie"...lol
lol

United States

#30 Sep 17, 2012
Childers for president!!
Anti-Islam

Clendenin, WV

#31 Sep 17, 2012
godly person wrote:
Instead of a theater they should allow a Mosque to be built in that area for all our Muslim brothers that has no place to praise Allah.
Good then maybe we can burn a Quran in front of it, or maybe storm the gates this is the most stupid thing I have ever heard, when is America going to realize Islam is the problem here.
loserville

United States

#32 Sep 17, 2012
I think the people of loserburg should drink bleach! Y'all don't even have a decent place to take a poop. I had to go so bad the last time in town I had to let it go in the bushes beside cityhall. Nothing around to wipe with so I had to hit the hippy boday and I caught a case of the crabs and stepped in dog poop.
I think the town should get a contract for some porta potties and put one one every corner. Just put a sign in them that reads DON'T EAT THE BIG WHITE MINT!
Lewisburg res

Huntington, WV

#33 Sep 17, 2012
<quoted text>
That's ridiculous. Go Mart rarely has folks pumping gas at more than a third of the pumps at any one given time (rolls eyes and sighs at exaggerations)
you must not be driving by the same Go-Mart the rest of us do (the one beside Med-exspress) it"s all way bizzy. most of the time 6 or 8 pump going at a time
Too much development

Bronx, NY

#34 Sep 17, 2012
eatmorebeef wrote:
<quoted text>
Tax write off? You can't use tax write offs without income. You don't get tax refunds for losing money- you can carry losses forward, but can't use them unless you make money eventually
Sigh. Again. Do you think it's a local independent businessman that wants to put in the 8 screen cinema? No, it's a business that already operates a number of establishments. A corporation perhaps; I don't know their tax status. But businesses that own multiple entities can balance " gains" in one aspect with " losses" in another. Business 101. There are all sorts of great ways to manipulate the tax code and earn money when a " loss" is shown on the books. Jeez.
Too much development

Bronx, NY

#35 Sep 17, 2012
Roger B wrote:
<quoted text>As someone who sees's the lot several hours of the day I can assure you that 3/4 of the pumps are in use generally 6 to 9 hours a day and usually more so during some holidays. Don't get on here and try to make a point if you do not have your facts straight.
Yawn. You " sees's", eh? If you want anyone to ever take you seriously, try to make sure your grammar is correct. Jeez. I have the unfortunate experience of driving past GoMart at least 8 times a day due to my job; I see enough empty pumps substantiate my observations. And go ahead and ask the cashiers- Melissa, Crystal, Michael, Karen- what they see. Or is that sees's. Gawd.
curious

United States

#36 Sep 17, 2012
Is the contractor going to hire any locals or are they bringing their own?
Too much development

Bronx, NY

#37 Sep 17, 2012
Lewisburg res wrote:
<quoted text>
you must not be driving by the same Go-Mart the rest of us do (the one beside Med-exspress) it"s all way bizzy. most of the time 6 or 8 pump going at a time
Ok, here we go- sorry, I can't bring to mind how many gas pumps are at GoMart, but it's at least 20, maybe 24. Using your numbers, 6 out of 20 is 3.3333. Oh my Gawd, that's 1/3 of the pumps being used. By your very own observations. Thank you for substantiating my claim! Soooooo " way bizzy" by the " Med-exspress" (Can't do basic math, can't spell or use basic grammar. Dear god, there are too many idiot opinions on this forum)
Woe

Saint Albans, WV

#38 Sep 18, 2012
<quoted text>
Ivan, is that you? Sounds like your Insanity. Build it and the will come? Just ask Carmike and Marquee how well the multiplexes do in the big cities of Bluefield/Princeton, Summerville, Clarksburg.....they come on weekends, but a thousand seats? No way. Tax Write-off, I think. I worked at Cinemas 8 in Bluefield, which had 50,000 folks in a 15 mile radius... They operated at a loss as a tax write off to their bigger city counterparts. True story. Three years I was there and saw most week nights bring in about 20 people. Having 8 more screens in Lewisburg just doesn't make economic sense. Money laundering perhaps?
Why would a company lose money just to have a write off you need to learn how the tax system works
parent

Elkview, WV

#39 Sep 18, 2012
<quoted text>
Sigh. Again. Do you think it's a local independent businessman that wants to put in the 8 screen cinema? No, it's a business that already operates a number of establishments. A corporation perhaps; I don't know their tax status. But businesses that own multiple entities can balance " gains" in one aspect with " losses" in another. Business 101. There are all sorts of great ways to manipulate the tax code and earn money when a " loss" is shown on the books. Jeez.
Actually its a partnership with a local family owned business born and raised here. They are in partnership with another family owned business here in WV that operates 3 other theaters. Good, honest, hard working, successful local people that have been working for over a year now to bring something good to this area. It was stated in the last planning commission meeting and the paper that local contractors would be used by the way. But it does not matter what we say you will continue to run your smear campaign because you dont want change. As a parent of teenagers who drive an hour to Beckley so they can see a movie, Its pretty darn important to me that it comes here. Putting a theater behind Lowes, up out of the way in a vacant field seems like a pretty small sacrifice if it creates some jobs and keeps teens off of the interstate. What if it saved one life? What if it just decreased the chances that my child and her friends would hit a deer and wreck on a night out? Is it worth it to you then?
localyokel

Rupert, WV

#40 Sep 18, 2012
trash wrote:
<quoted text>speaking as a young adult most of us drive to beckley just for a modern theater spend an additional 20 to 40 dollars in gas to watch a clear imax movie with nice seats and cup holders that recline
Please tell me about "cup holders that recline". How do you keep your drink from spilling?
Lewisburg Gal

Lewisburg, WV

#41 Sep 18, 2012
Neither the Lewisburg City Council or the Planning Commission has voted on this issue.

A rezoning request for the parcel of land is on the agenda for the September PC meeting. No one has stopped anything.

Late last week,the land owner briefly considered not selling his land to the developer.

If the rezoning passes then the developer would have to get a conditional use permit to be able to operate a Movie Theater on the lot as zoned.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lewisburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
WV Who do you support for U.S. Senate in West Virg... (Oct '10) 3 hr fitness-guru 58,244
no more blue sky 3 hr sosadinamerica 3
Criminal charges dismissed in Greenbrier swimmi... 3 hr bluecawkhair 10
road construction 5 hr Whats Hapening 7
renick millworks 6 hr Oh Boy 18
Fritz Glasser the Hypocrite Pharmacist 6 hr Idiot Detector 10
Adam zolecki 8 hr 0fucksgiven 1
•••
•••
Lewisburg Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••