Multi-Screen Theatre stopped in Lewis...

Multi-Screen Theatre stopped in Lewisburg!

Posted in the Lewisburg Forum

First Prev
of 7
Next Last
Development

United States

#1 Sep 17, 2012
It seems an 8 screen theater wants to build a state of the art cinema behind Lowes. It would show all first run movies and have seating for over a thousand customers. Several new construction construction jobs and once built 25 to 30 full-time jobs. But guess ehat the Lewisburg Plannig Commission shot it
DOWN!!!!. Yes denied the developer. The told them the land is needed for LOW INCOME HOUSES. You have got to be kidding low income housin over a 8thousand screen cinema. What are these people up to with growth we all benefit.
Development

United States

#2 Sep 17, 2012
Development wrote:
It seems an 8 screen theater wants to build a state of the art cinema behind Lowes. It would show all first run movies and have seating for over a thousand customers. Several new construction construction jobs and once built 25 to 30 full-time jobs. But guess ehat the Lewisburg Plannig Commission shot it
DOWN!!!!. Yes denied the developer. The told them the land is needed for LOW INCOME HOUSES. You have got to be kidding low income housin over a 8thousand screen cinema. What are these people up to with growth we all benefit.
Sorry I should have proofread my post. I meant to say "housing over an 8 screen cinema that will seat 1000 customers." SORRY
Shame

United States

#3 Sep 17, 2012
That is a shame that LWB would deny a business to open in the city limits. I think that sort of theater is overkill for this area, however it would be nice to have a theater that offered a bit more customer amenities than the current one at the mall. The low income housing location is probably dictated as such so these folks can walk to Walmart and various fast food places. It is a shame...
what

Princeton, WV

#4 Sep 17, 2012
The theater is a go. The town council wouldnt approve it untill another track of land was donated for the new fire department,plus sweet frog is going in beside taco bell. so looks like a lot of the lazy welfare people can now find a job..
One eyed jack

Parkersburg, WV

#5 Sep 17, 2012
Lewisburg sucks!!!
lol

Saint Albans, WV

#6 Sep 17, 2012
what wrote:
The theater is a go. The town council wouldnt approve it untill another track of land was donated for the new fire department,plus sweet frog is going in beside taco bell. so looks like a lot of the lazy welfare people can now find a job..
What is 'sweet frog'?
Too much development

Springfield, NJ

#7 Sep 17, 2012
An 8-screen cinema indeed is overkill for this area, Mr. Developer. You'll be wasting your money and a lot of resources perusing building a monstrosity like that in our town. Greenbrier County and surrounding areas simply do not have the demographics to support your proposed business. You really need to check your stats before putting effort into the idea. As far as zoning goes, Lewisburg City obviously isn't against business, but it is for zoning for the best use of land for the public interest. Ignorant folks talk of zoning likes it's being used personally against them; zoning laws are for protect the public. It's as simple as that.
Fifty Plus Crowd

United States

#8 Sep 17, 2012
Too much development wrote:
An 8-screen cinema indeed is overkill for this area, Mr. Developer. You'll be wasting your money and a lot of resources perusing building a monstrosity like that in our town. Greenbrier County and surrounding areas simply do not have the demographics to support your proposed business. You really need to check your stats before putting effort into the idea. As far as zoning goes, Lewisburg City obviously isn't against business, but it is for zoning for the best use of land for the public interest. Ignorant folks talk of zoning likes it's being used personally against them; zoning laws are for protect the public. It's as simple as that.
Head in the sand mentality. That is why WV is one of the most underdeveloped states in the US. By the way I have a horse and buggy you could probably use. How stupid your logic!!!!
not so fast

Princeton, WV

#9 Sep 17, 2012
Too much development wrote:
I guess you agreed with the same planning commission that said go-mart did not need that many gas pumps. Last I checked there almost always full.
1 post removed
godly person

Oakvale, WV

#11 Sep 17, 2012
Instead of a theater they should allow a Mosque to be built in that area for all our Muslim brothers that has no place to praise Allah.
Too much development

Springfield, NJ

#12 Sep 17, 2012
Fifty Plus Crowd wrote:
<quoted text>
Head in the sand mentality. That is why WV is one of the most underdeveloped states in the US. By the way I have a horse and buggy you could probably use. How stupid your logic!!!!
Let me guess..... You are one of those imported retirees who moved to this area to get away from the insanity of whatever megopolis you wasted your money-making days in- and now you want to change it. Did it ever occur to you that perhaps being "under-developed" is actually a GOOD thing? And if not, go back to Northern Va or whatever wasteland you came from.
Too much development

Springfield, NJ

#13 Sep 17, 2012
not so fast wrote:
<quoted text> I guess you agreed with the same planning commission that said go-mart did not need that many gas pumps. Last I checked there almost always full.
That's ridiculous. Go Mart rarely has folks pumping gas at more than a third of the pumps at any one given time (rolls eyes and sighs at exaggerations)
Shame

United States

#14 Sep 17, 2012
We cannot even keep the small theater at the mall full to capacity, how the devil will a theater that seats 1000 ever survive? The population of the whole county for 2011 was only 35,800. I am all for bringing in new business, but let's not set one up for failure right off the bat. "Too much development" is absolutely spot on with his statement of this being a waste of the developer's money.
lol

United States

#15 Sep 17, 2012
Build it and they will come. Hope nothing happens like out in Colorado that would really put loonyburg on the map and we would be stripped of the worlds coolest town probably have to take the signs down and everything. The land would make an awesome spot for a FEMA death camp being so close to interstate and all.
DR KNOW

Charleston, WV

#16 Sep 17, 2012
lol wrote:
<quoted text>
What is 'sweet frog'?
Sweet Frog is an ice cream parlor, where you do your own thing and add all the toppings ect. Then it is weighed and you pay.
trash

Princeton, WV

#17 Sep 17, 2012
Shame wrote:
We cannot even keep the small theater at the mall full to capacity, how the devil will a theater that seats 1000 ever survive? The population of the whole county for 2011 was only 35,800. I am all for bringing in new business, but let's not set one up for failure right off the bat. "Too much development" is absolutely spot on with his statement of this being a waste of the developer's money.
speaking as a young adult most of us drive to beckley just for a modern theater spend an additional 20 to 40 dollars in gas to watch a clear imax movie with nice seats and cup holders that recline

Since: Jul 12

Beckley WV

#18 Sep 17, 2012
Shame wrote:
Why do they not get many ppl to come there? Might be because they are not even equipped enough to show 3D movies and half the time. Maybe that is why most people drive to beckley or Roanoak to go see good movies instead of giving business here
lol

United States

#19 Sep 17, 2012
They'll have to hire atleast ten more cops to gaurd the corner of the shell station across from wamart. Mabe the'll let the gas station expand parking so we common folk can have room to get in there and get some lottery tickets.
Too much development

Springfield, NJ

#20 Sep 17, 2012
trash wrote:
<quoted text>speaking as a young adult most of us drive to beckley just for a modern theater spend an additional 20 to 40 dollars in gas to watch a clear imax movie with nice seats and cup holders that recline
Sigh. Young adult, do you even know what IMAX means? The closest we have to Lewisburg are in Richmond Va, or Northern Va. Not Beckley. Lewis Theater here in Lewisburg has stadium seating and cupholders.
Too much development

Springfield, NJ

#21 Sep 17, 2012
lol wrote:
Build it and they will come. Hope nothing happens like out in Colorado that would really put loonyburg on the map and we would be stripped of the worlds coolest town probably have to take the signs down and everything. The land would make an awesome spot for a FEMA death camp being so close to interstate and all.
Ivan, is that you? Sounds like your Insanity. Build it and the will come? Just ask Carmike and Marquee how well the multiplexes do in the big cities of Bluefield/Princeton, Summerville, Clarksburg.....they come on weekends, but a thousand seats? No way. Tax Write-off, I think. I worked at Cinemas 8 in Bluefield, which had 50,000 folks in a 15 mile radius... They operated at a loss as a tax write off to their bigger city counterparts. True story. Three years I was there and saw most week nights bring in about 20 people. Having 8 more screens in Lewisburg just doesn't make economic sense. Money laundering perhaps?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lewisburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
LGBT vigil Lewisburg 8 hr Jessica 15
Lawsuits 21 hr Billy 1
Create your own Forum (Jun '15) Mon Hickabilly BR549 1,341
West Virginia and Tad Lincoln Mon Meherewv 2
Emergency Shelter Genertor (Jun '15) Mon Fed Up 31
general lewis inn Sun Broken wing 4
Chris Thompson (Mar '15) Jun 24 My 2 cents 72
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Lewisburg Mortgages