Greenbrier East Football Coach

Posted in the Lewisburg Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
hello

Humble, TX

#1 Jun 9, 2009
The Greenbrier County Board of education has just handed Greenbrier County football program the weakest choice in a football coach, just because he is a local boy and in the system. No matter the experience of the other choices in front of them. This is a huge infustice. I thought the elected officials would step up and have a backbone and dothe right thing. That is their job.
goodbye

Oak Hill, WV

#2 Jun 9, 2009
have they ever
Football Parent

Marlinton, WV

#3 Jun 9, 2009
Either support Coach Baker or get out of the way. My son will play two more years for him and my husband and I are very excited!
Shocked

Hillsboro, WV

#4 Jun 9, 2009
Parents were very excited in Buckhannon, WV last year when the county decided to hired the middle school coach. They were also very excited today when he resigned after the program fell apart. Most jobs in head coaching require experience at that level. This is for a reason. I feel bab for the kids at Greenbrier East!!!
hopeful

Thurmond, WV

#5 Jun 9, 2009
i wish him the best. the coach for the super bowl champs last year was young and inexperienced. every coach has to start at a new level if he desires to keep progressing. at least the football team has a chance to improve because change was needed. if only some other sports over there had the same opportunity because change is needed even worse in boy's basketball and baseball. peewee and t-ball coaches could do better. go east!!!!!!!!!!
Shocked

Hillsboro, WV

#6 Jun 9, 2009
The coach of the Steelers was an assistant in the NFL for several years as well as being a Defensive coordinator for the Vikings and Tampa Bay. He worked for John Gruden, a Super Bowl winning coach. This guy would not even run the systems the past two head coaches at East were running. He was part of the problem!!! And now they reward him with the head job???? Sounds like a band director has hired the football coach.
Football Parent

Marlinton, WV

#7 Jun 9, 2009
Shocked wrote:
Parents were very excited in Buckhannon, WV last year when the county decided to hired the middle school coach. They were also very excited today when he resigned after the program fell apart. Most jobs in head coaching require experience at that level. This is for a reason. I feel bab for the kids at Greenbrier East!!!
Coach Michaels is this you?
Here we go

Princeton, WV

#8 Jun 10, 2009
Shocked wrote:
The coach of the Steelers was an assistant in the NFL for several years as well as being a Defensive coordinator for the Vikings and Tampa Bay. He worked for John Gruden, a Super Bowl winning coach. This guy would not even run the systems the past two head coaches at East were running. He was part of the problem!!! And now they reward him with the head job???? Sounds like a band director has hired the football coach.
The fact remains he had to get a chance somewhere. He just didn't magically turn 28 and one day he is an NFL D Coordinator. Someone took a chance on the guy.

How do you idiots not see this?
amazing

Thurmond, WV

#9 Jun 10, 2009
Here we go wrote:
<quoted text>
The fact remains he had to get a chance somewhere. He just didn't magically turn 28 and one day he is an NFL D Coordinator. Someone took a chance on the guy.
How do you idiots not see this?
it amazes me that you people won't even give this guy a chance. there's alot more room for him to improve the program than to make it worse. at the same time you sit back and watch another coach who has done nothing for over twenty years but treat kids unfairly and lose. bimbo can't do much until the other guy is gone. also, the ninth grade coach is nothing but a problem. according to topix, he might even, if possible, be worse at coaching baseball. the head coach undoubtedly is a joke as well so it looks to me like baker at least deserves a chance. if you want athletics to improve at east then get rid of the cliques.
amazing

Thurmond, WV

#10 Jun 10, 2009
Shocked wrote:
you actually would want someone to runs as you call them, the systems that east had. good grief, midget leaguers have better systems. i'm glad you didn't get the job because i'm tired of watching the broken systems.
near sighted

Humble, TX

#11 Jun 10, 2009
Hey Football Parents everywhere. It's only football! Support all coaches and be quiet when your kid isn't getting played. Maybe coaches are teaching valuable lessons you aren't seeing. Maybe your kid isn't as good as you think.
Shocked

Marlinton, WV

#12 Jun 10, 2009
Your right. Everyone deserve a chance to move up. It is usually as an assistant. There are reasons for that. Running a high school program is much different than a middle school program. The principal told the kids he was going to do a NATION wide search for a new coach. This guy is the best available in the nation. No he was just the best qualified in the county. Without any teaching jobs he won the job by default. That is a shame.
unknown rider

Thurmond, WV

#13 Jun 10, 2009
the board of education works on the buddy system and this is sad,they the board failed us again,coach baker did not deserve the job,either one of the other candidates did,but to show the point the board didnt even give a second interview to anyone but baker,i hear legal action pending?? our board of education is a joke please remember this when election time rolls around,the football program what is left of it will completely collapse under baker,we will be the joke of many schools around the state for the next few years oh well just remember as far as the board vote them all out next time.
funny stuff

Raleigh, NC

#14 Jun 10, 2009
East can only improve; they can't get any worse. Was Aaron Baker the right choice?? We will know this time next year whether he was or he wasn't. It's like in college football recruiting; it's nice to have all those stars beside your name, but you don't know the value of the recruit until 2 or 3 years down the road.

Aaron will give it his all and hopefully that will turn into wins. If not, East will be coach searching in a couple more years again.
interested observer

Marlinton, WV

#15 Jun 10, 2009
The post earlier that said Baker didn't run the system that the East coaches were running makes me laugh. A good coach changes his system based on the players he has, for several years EGMS and GEHS have had small, fast teams, you can't pound the ball up the middle with the teams we have had lately. Don't read this as an endorsement of Baker, I believe the Pocahontas coach was probably the right choice for the GEHS job. The bottom line is we all need to support the team - GO EAST.
amazing

Elkview, WV

#16 Jun 10, 2009
near sighted wrote:
Hey Football Parents everywhere. It's only football! Support all coaches and be quiet when your kid isn't getting played. Maybe coaches are teaching valuable lessons you aren't seeing. Maybe your kid isn't as good as you think.
you sound like neil dixon, a real asset to east. NOT.
garbage

Elkview, WV

#17 Jun 10, 2009
near sighted wrote:
that's the stupid crap they say over there when they try to justify playing the political games. the only lesson i've seen is how not to treat people.
hello

Marlinton, WV

#18 Jun 10, 2009
pocahontas players and parents are very happy with the hire. but you should now give your support to the new coach
Mike Freeman

Lewisburg, WV

#19 Jun 10, 2009
First of all lets set this stage.. To my recalling after the retirement of Criddle we hired a coach who in my opinion started the down slide inside the football program at east, who in my eyes was a "experienced coach". Was that the answer? I dont think so... The number of kids coming out dwendled to number that made it nearly impossible to compete with even with the teams we use to play. So what was our answer?? Lets play teams in Charleston and bigger schools that will really stomp our a$$. The program has suffered so many losses that the kids have gotten to the pt they dont wanna play for losing programs. Is this the coaches fault? Alot of things will have to change before it does and our strenght of schedule change is one good move. Not driving 5 hrs to play a game would help.. Having a coach that i think kids will come to the field for will surely help.I continue to see replies on here saying experience is the key.. Well i think we have tried exp in Grough, but he was too rough on the boys.. Bullshit!!! Its football!! Get over it!! I played in that Criddle era and i guarentee he was no rougher on the boys than Grough was. So we fire him and hire Michaels. Well didnt he take teams in Buchannon to championships?? I feel he would have been a good coach at East in late 80's and early 90's when we had LINEMAN we could run in the middle with. Were their more experienced applicants for the job?? Yes, maybe so, but we have a coach in place who knows the kids and have their respect. If you ask around you will be hard to find many negative remarks from the players about the man. In closing the experience issue.. I never seen a coach who was born experienced!! We all have to start somewhere.. Give the man a chance!! If we, "The Spartan Fans" help support him, the supporting staff and the kids, and push our kids to participate and excel on the field.. That will be the beginning of the return to glory for the Spartans..
goodbye

Oak Hill, WV

#20 Jun 10, 2009
he has already picked his team.started today in the beckley paper.wonder how many recruits that will get him.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lewisburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Info On Phillip Upton & Deborah Ferguson 5 hr Cookie 1
cgll 11 hr Simple simon 1
Create your own Forum (Jun '15) 11 hr Bad ass visitor 1,342
Lawsuits Tue Billy 1
West Virginia and Tad Lincoln Jun 27 Meherewv 2
Emergency Shelter Genertor (Jun '15) Jun 27 Fed Up 31
general lewis inn Jun 26 Broken wing 4

Lewisburg Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance