is downtown lewisburg slowly becoming a white sulphur

Posted in the Lewisburg Forum

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Concerned

United States

#1 Sep 12, 2012
Is Lewisburg destined to become another White Sulphur Springs. One cannot help but notice the number's of empty storefronts in downtown. The are several empty and window covered buildings on the main street in town. In addition almost evey storefront on both ends of Court St. are also empty. What is happing to our Coolest Small Town? I understand other businesses are on the verge of also closing. Why? Is something happing that has affected the once thriving business climate in Lewisburg.
Can we do something before this becomes a reality?
This topic is funny

Fort Mill, SC

#2 Sep 12, 2012
Lewisburg will never end up like white sulphur springs. It is thriving better than ever. It has grown very steadily over the last 20+ years. There are a few renovations going on to the structure of some of the old buildings but as a business owner in the middle of town I can tell you that business is wonderful and growing. What you can do to secure this is to spend your money locally and take part in local commerce.
Huh

Huntington, WV

#3 Sep 12, 2012
Concerned wrote:
Is Lewisburg destined to become another White Sulphur Springs. One cannot help but notice the number's of empty storefronts in downtown. The are several empty and window covered buildings on the main street in town. In addition almost evey storefront on both ends of Court St. are also empty. What is happing to our Coolest Small Town? I understand other businesses are on the verge of also closing. Why? Is something happing that has affected the once thriving business climate in Lewisburg.
Can we do something before this becomes a reality?
I guess I can help but notice....what empty store fronts? Which businesses are closing?
here

Huntington, WV

#4 Sep 12, 2012
There are three empty stores on the West side of Washington, one of which served lunch and now they are gone.
1 post removed
Really

United States

#6 Sep 12, 2012
This topic is funny wrote:
Lewisburg will never end up like white sulphur springs. It is thriving better than ever. It has grown very steadily over the last 20+ years. There are a few renovations going on to the structure of some of the old buildings but as a business owner in the middle of town I can tell you that business is wonderful and growing. What you can do to secure this is to spend your money locally and take part in local commerce.
I beg to differ! I am personal friends with the owners of one of the recent businesses that was forced to close due to lack of customer traffic or volume. They did not experience any substantial growth in business in two years. Hoped PGA would save them but no substantial difference during the event.
There loss of their business is the third family to lose the life savings in attempting to maintain a business in downtown Lewisburg. Another business closing is the Art gallery on the coner across fom the Exxon station. Others are weighing their options and trying to determine to stay or cut their losses and pull the plug now. Where are the city officials and why aren't they helping the small businesses in town.
agree

Princeton, WV

#7 Sep 12, 2012
Really wrote:
<quoted text>
I beg to differ! I am personal friends with the owners of one of the recent businesses that was forced to close due to lack of customer traffic or volume. They did not experience any substantial growth in business in two years. Hoped PGA would save them but no substantial difference during the event.
There loss of their business is the third family to lose the life savings in attempting to maintain a business in downtown Lewisburg. Another business closing is the Art gallery on the coner across fom the Exxon station. Others are weighing their options and trying to determine to stay or cut their losses and pull the plug now. Where are the city officials and why aren't they helping the small businesses in town.
City officials are too busy spending $150,000 for two bathrooms beside City Hall. The only council person to vote against this outlandish waste of funds was council member White.
Quinwood Pillbilly

White Sulphur Springs, WV

#8 Sep 12, 2012
Rent is too dam high!
sad situation

Charleston, WV

#9 Sep 12, 2012
I've heard rumors that the General Lewis Inn might not be around in the future. Not sure if it is due to lack of business or the death of the elder Morgans. Does anybody else have any information?
lol

United States

#10 Sep 12, 2012
Legalize reefer and allow smoking in town and the town will be full of WIN!!!
Sarahahaha

Princeton, WV

#11 Sep 12, 2012
Maybe if I didn't have to sell my first born to buy something the locals would shop there more often. Went to wolf creek. It was 10 dollars for a coin purse! Seriously?? I didn't dare look to see what a whole wallet cost!
Loserburg

United States

#12 Sep 12, 2012
If Lewisburg wants to survive, they need to quit trying to maintain the artsy fartsy places and open REAL stores. If they'd let good stores people actually want to go to (Like JC Penney's, a GOOD Sears not like the shitty one in Ronceverte, Macy's, American Eagle, etc.) business would be booming! Quit trying to make it an art gallery and antique store town. No one can afford or wants that crap. One or two is enough.'Nuff said.
Chicken

Nitro, WV

#13 Sep 12, 2012
Parking is an issue
Loserburg

United States

#14 Sep 12, 2012
Parking can be an issue, but if they would take out that crap filled hippie bath, I mean artsy decorative fountain in the middle of town and make it a parking lot like it was before, there would be parking. They could also run shuttles or do like Charleston did and make a nice parking garage. There are ways around it, but they don't want to hear anything that would actually BRING jobs and business to the area.
Yesyes

Princeton, WV

#15 Sep 12, 2012
Lets get some stores in here where these children can shop.Where we dont have to drive 2 hours to school shop,We have looked at this old stuff long enough.Make it look like a shopping mal.And get rid of the PUB. Clean it up. Lights,Gaz it up.
Lol

United States

#16 Sep 13, 2012
Loserburg wrote:
Parking can be an issue, but if they would take out that crap filled hippie bath, I mean artsy decorative fountain in the middle of town and make it a parking lot like it was before, there would be parking. They could also run shuttles or do like Charleston did and make a nice parking garage. There are ways around it, but they don't want to hear anything that would actually BRING jobs and business to the area.
Shuttles? A parking garage? Are you serious? This is shitsville USA, a small ass town that will remain just that. You know you live in a shitty area when Taco Bell coming to the area is exciting news to the locals.
just because

Gallipolis Ferry, WV

#17 Sep 13, 2012
I needed soap yesterday. Not a place downtown to buy soap. No place to buy a gallon of milk downtown. And barely an affordable place to eat dinner except 2 places I can think of. With rents as high as they are, non tourist stores can not afford rent. Sorry downtown merchants, I would love to support you, but your goods are over-priced (undertstandably to try and make rent) for us regular folks. And, I guess there aren't enough rich folks to support many stores either , since they are closing,unless the merchants have another source of income.

Since: Apr 09

Ronceverte, WV

#18 Sep 13, 2012
You cannot base an entire economy on selling trinkets and local art to tourists unless you give those tourists a reason to come to your town in the first place. One or two events a year will not sustain a merchant base that needs constant traffic. Downtown Lewisburg was not designed for locals.
Sarahahaha

Princeton, WV

#19 Sep 13, 2012
Why did dollar general shut down that was a cross from the Exxon? I thought that was a great location with great parking.
wowme

Charleston, WV

#20 Sep 13, 2012
Rent went up.
scooby

Suffolk, VA

#21 Sep 13, 2012
Not all, but many of the Lewisburg downtown merchants have their nose so far up in the air that they would drown in a rain shower. Their merchandise is over priced stuff that an average income family would never dream of buying. Check out Cooper Gallery, astronomical prices for so called "art". Sorry, but smearing paint on a canvas with a putty knife does not a masterpiece make. Then there are the antique shops selling stuff that my grandparents were happy to get rid of when they could finally afford to buy furniture. After all that shopping you can quench your thirst with a $6.00 draft and maybe have a $15.00 sandwich. If I were rich and seeing Lewisburg for the first time I would probably find it quaint and charming, but once I'd seen it I'd have no real reason to go back. Add the fact that it has nothing to offer the locals and it will slowly die.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lewisburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Who's up in lewisburg? 3 hr Far from home 1
Sexual assault at The Greenbrier 3 hr Justsayin 16
road construction 4 hr Power Junkie 2
WV Who do you support for U.S. Senate in West Virg... (Oct '10) 6 hr west by golly hil... 58,113
jewelry making supplies 7 hr cookie1 1
walmart 7 hr Walk in their shoes 26
Looking for Shelly 7 hr Southbound 5
•••
•••
•••

Lewisburg Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Lewisburg People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE