First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Curious

Hansford, WV

#1 Feb 18, 2013
Are our taxes going up if the fire levy passes? I thought I was paying a lot of taxes now.
yep

Chapmanville, WV

#2 Feb 18, 2013
$50 a yr.
Well

Charleston, WV

#3 Feb 18, 2013
I know your taxes might go up a little, but many fire departments in GBC are to the point where if we don't get this levy passed, their doors will be shut. If their doors are shut, it's going to take longer for another department to get to the house that's on fire, or the people trapped in a wrecked car.
Curious

Hansford, WV

#4 Feb 18, 2013
I thought when the lottery came to WVa that our taxes would not raise because of all this extra money??????
Vote against the levy

Princeton, WV

#5 Feb 18, 2013
The county commission should have given money to the fire departments instead of to a swimming pool that the public can't use. Administer will receive $100000 to oversee the levy. All departments should receive the same amount of money but they aren't. We are paying a municipal fee that covers fire protection. VOTE NO
GBC Firefighter

Princeton, WV

#6 Feb 18, 2013
If the fire levy is passed, which I hope it is, yes taxes will go up BUT the amount it goes up will depend upon the value of your personal property like cars, houses, land, etc. any personal property that you normally pay taxes on already. the money collected will be distributed each Greenbrier County Fire Department according to their needs and the value of their serving area. each Fire department MUST have AN APPROVED plan to use the money on and if they DO NOT use the money for that plan then it will be returned to be distributed elsewhere. anything bought with that money must reflect on what the plan states and must be approved before spent. I dont like the fact it has to raise taxes but the fire departments dont get as much money as people think they do. they might get enough to keep the lights on. but when you factor in all the required training we go through and all the fuel we burn responding to calls and not to mention the truck payments to have up to date trucks. the average pumper costs approximately $150,000.00 to $200,000.00. a new ladder truck for towns or cities with tall buildings can cost on average as $800,000.00 to $1,000,000.00 or MORE. we VOLUNTEER, we are not paid. we do not expect to be paid. we do what we do for the satisfaction of knowing our neighborhood is safe. what would you do if you called and no one showed up? VOTE YES, I AM.
concerned

Mineral Wells, WV

#7 Feb 18, 2013
Vote against the levy wrote:
The county commission should have given money to the fire departments instead of to a swimming pool that the public can't use. Administer will receive $100000 to oversee the levy. All departments should receive the same amount of money but they aren't. We are paying a municipal fee that covers fire protection. VOTE NO
WOW If the above is true about the 100,000 salary I will definately vote NO. Have to find that out for sure. Also, I agree about the pool, why not build a pool for all to use???? and if it is true that fire departments will close, longer arrival time will occur and our Home Owners Insurance will also rise. We should all find out the facts!
concerned

Mineral Wells, WV

#8 Feb 18, 2013
GBC Firefighter wrote:
If the fire levy is passed, which I hope it is, yes taxes will go up BUT the amount it goes up will depend upon the value of your personal property like cars, houses, land, etc. any personal property that you normally pay taxes on already. the money collected will be distributed each Greenbrier County Fire Department according to their needs and the value of their serving area. each Fire department MUST have AN APPROVED plan to use the money on and if they DO NOT use the money for that plan then it will be returned to be distributed elsewhere. anything bought with that money must reflect on what the plan states and must be approved before spent. I dont like the fact it has to raise taxes but the fire departments dont get as much money as people think they do. they might get enough to keep the lights on. but when you factor in all the required training we go through and all the fuel we burn responding to calls and not to mention the truck payments to have up to date trucks. the average pumper costs approximately $150,000.00 to $200,000.00. a new ladder truck for towns or cities with tall buildings can cost on average as $800,000.00 to $1,000,000.00 or MORE. we VOLUNTEER, we are not paid. we do not expect to be paid. we do what we do for the satisfaction of knowing our neighborhood is safe. what would you do if you called and no one showed up? VOTE YES, I AM.
Is it true about a salary for someone to oversee the monies of 100,000?
firefighter

Culloden, WV

#9 Feb 18, 2013
The $100,000 salary is not true, the administrators salary will be around $30, 000 a year, the $100, 000 is total operation cost for that position, which would include building rent, utilities, insurance, secretary, office supplies, the whole 9 yrds in which it takes to operate a office for 1 year.

There are many false rumors about the fire levy going around the county, most are speculation and ppl not knowing what they are talking about.

The levy is tax based which means the municipalities that have a large tax base will get the most money. That would be white sulphur springs because of the greenbrier and the sporting club, the fire levy committee which consist of members from every dept in greenbrier county all decided and agreed upon 3 options of money diabursement. Wssfire dept agreed to give away alot of their money to be divided up between other depts. Wss fire and lewisburg fire will both get 250, 000 a year. Other depts would get less because of their tax base. Lewisburg and wss both gave money to other depts because we are all in this together to help save your life and property.
We have heard alot of negativity for the levy, and all of the negativity we hear is because ppl dont know the truth. So I ask you instead of bad mouthing the levy before you know the facts, please come out to one of the open houses at each fire dept throughout greenbrier county and ask questions. We just had an open house at wss fire and NO ONE showed up.

The reality is that some very good fire depts may have to close the doors on the fire dept if this levy does not pass then if you voted no for the levy and your dept closes and your house catches fire, you will wish you would have voted yes. A vote yes could help save your life or property incase of a fire or a car accident.

Remember you have ALOT more to lose then $75.00 a year if you vote no.

Btw, there is an open house at white sulpbur springs city hall tomorrow night 2-19-13 at 6 pm, there will be handouts and a powerpoint presentation to help answer all of your questions, there will even be fire levy committee members there to answer your questions 1 on 1. If you dont come out and ask your questions, please dont get on here and bit$ch about the levy untill you know the facts.
concerned

Mineral Wells, WV

#10 Feb 18, 2013
firefighter wrote:
The $100,000 salary is not true, the administrators salary will be around $30, 000 a year, the $100, 000 is total operation cost for that position, which would include building rent, utilities, insurance, secretary, office supplies, the whole 9 yrds in which it takes to operate a office for 1 year.
There are many false rumors about the fire levy going around the county, most are speculation and ppl not knowing what they are talking about.
The levy is tax based which means the municipalities that have a large tax base will get the most money. That would be white sulphur springs because of the greenbrier and the sporting club, the fire levy committee which consist of members from every dept in greenbrier county all decided and agreed upon 3 options of money diabursement. Wssfire dept agreed to give away alot of their money to be divided up between other depts. Wss fire and lewisburg fire will both get 250, 000 a year. Other depts would get less because of their tax base. Lewisburg and wss both gave money to other depts because we are all in this together to help save your life and property.
We have heard alot of negativity for the levy, and all of the negativity we hear is because ppl dont know the truth. So I ask you instead of bad mouthing the levy before you know the facts, please come out to one of the open houses at each fire dept throughout greenbrier county and ask questions. We just had an open house at wss fire and NO ONE showed up.
The reality is that some very good fire depts may have to close the doors on the fire dept if this levy does not pass then if you voted no for the levy and your dept closes and your house catches fire, you will wish you would have voted yes. A vote yes could help save your life or property incase of a fire or a car accident.
Remember you have ALOT more to lose then $75.00 a year if you vote no.
Btw, there is an open house at white sulpbur springs city hall tomorrow night 2-19-13 at 6 pm, there will be handouts and a powerpoint presentation to help answer all of your questions, there will even be fire levy committee members there to answer your questions 1 on 1. If you dont come out and ask your questions, please dont get on here and bit$ch about the levy untill you know the facts.
Thank you, I appreciate your honesty and intelligence. YOU HAVE MY VOTE ALONG WITH MY FAMILY. SO, that will be at least 10 votes.
mojo

Charleston, WV

#11 Feb 18, 2013
I am voting no because of the way the measure is being brought to a vote. There is no way they suddenly found out they did not have enough money. We had an election 3 months ago, it should have been on that ballot. This is just an attempt to slide this by us in a special election so that their supporters will be the only ones turning out in force. Put this on the next ballot where everyone will have more time to think about this levy and it will stand or fall on its merits and not because it was slipped in on a special election.
I don't believe the propaganda about the fire departments closing if this doesn't pass next month. If they were in such dire staights we would have seen it on the last ballot. This is a direct result of Raleigh County passing a fire levy, a clear case of levy envy.
AFF2

United States

#12 Feb 18, 2013
If you think $40-$50 more in taxes a year is bad, call your insurance company and ask how much that would rise if you lived more 8 miles from a fire department. Premiums would increase expodentially, I promise you that, much more than $50 per year. You people who will vote NO on this levy are the very same people that bitc% and gripe when you think it takes to long for the FD to get to the scene when it's your family in that crumped car or when it's your house that is smoking but could be saved if that truck would have been there ten minutes sooner. Hey, it's YOUR choice, but if you do vote no, don't let your friedly vol. fireman know-they may not be in a big hurry to get to your house next time or thier trucks may be broken down.
Well

Charleston, WV

#13 Feb 18, 2013
Just because A fire department has financial issues does not mean you are going to see it on an election ballot. I think we need this levy. Not just fire departments but citizens do too! A little bit extra on taxes is not that bad Vote YES. Voting no because it is a special election is stupid. Help local Fire Departments. Vote Yes
firefighter

Culloden, WV

#14 Feb 19, 2013
mojo wrote:
I am voting no because of the way the measure is being brought to a vote. There is no way they suddenly found out they did not have enough money. We had an election 3 months ago, it should have been on that ballot. This is just an attempt to slide this by us in a special election so that their supporters will be the only ones turning out in force. Put this on the next ballot where everyone will have more time to think about this levy and it will stand or fall on its merits and not because it was slipped in on a special election.
I don't believe the propaganda about the fire departments closing if this doesn't pass next month. If they were in such dire staights we would have seen it on the last ballot. This is a direct result of Raleigh County passing a fire levy, a clear case of levy envy.
Nobody is trying to pull anything over on anyone, this levy has been in the works for over a year, but due to the politics of the county and the prior election in which you spoke of, we were not allowed to have our levy placed on the ballot, we were made to have a special election, if you dont believe me, do some research before you bitch and complain, look it up , county commission minutes are availabe online.

And yes raleigh county has a levy, so does fayette county,alleghany county va , that only means that those people Iin those countys care about their fire depts.
Its hard to believe all of the negativity we are hearing for the levy, when all we are doing is trying to survive. We have known for a long time that money was tight, this county has the worst fire trucks in the state, right now we have 16 fire trucks in this county that are 15 years or older and need replaced. State law mandates that all apparatus must be taken out of service after 15 years and replaced with new.

Im not going to post anymore on topix about this levy, it is very frustrating to know that we volunteer to help you, we dont get paid, we lose time at our own job, we lose precious time with our families to help you, all we are asking is that you help us in return.

Please come to wss city hall tonight at 6 and ask questions, we will be glad to answer any you may have. We will also be at foodlion on saturday handing out informative info amd trying to promote the levy.

Thanks to all of you that vote yes for the levy, we will surely appreciate you.

See everyone at city hall tonight at 6
Thanks
lokelyokel

Lerona, WV

#15 Feb 19, 2013
To Firefighter - yes, people need to get out to the informational meetings, then decide, but most people just want to complain.

To Mojo - you are complaining because it is a special election. Had it been tagged onto another election, you would have complained that "they tried to sneak it in on the tail of something else so people would have voted on one thing thinking they were voting on something else - isn't that the way it is? Wait until your department closes and then complain that no one came when your house was burned down!!
imo

Rupert, WV

#16 Feb 19, 2013
I want all of the fire departments to continue running and I always pay my yearly fire dues of around $30. My problem is now days it's hard enough to pay my property taxes as they are. Not to mention if they add on $50 to $100 extra. Once you pay that money at the court house who knows who will really get it and no matter how much it is it will never be enough. The sad thing is most people just don't have the extra money to give. For the ones that due and don't care to give it God bless you.
This stinks

Princeton, WV

#17 Feb 19, 2013
firefighter wrote:
The $100,000 salary is not true, the administrators salary will be around $30, 000 a year, the $100, 000 is total operation cost for that position, which would include building rent, utilities, insurance, secretary, office supplies, the whole 9 yrds in which it takes to operate a office for 1 year.
There are many false rumors about the fire levy going around the county, most are speculation and ppl not knowing what they are talking about.
The levy is tax based which means the municipalities that have a large tax base will get the most money. That would be white sulphur springs because of the greenbrier and the sporting club, the fire levy committee which consist of members from every dept in greenbrier county all decided and agreed upon 3 options of money diabursement. Wssfire dept agreed to give away alot of their money to be divided up between other depts. Wss fire and lewisburg fire will both get 250, 000 a year. Other depts would get less because of their tax base. Lewisburg and wss both gave money to other depts because we are all in this together to help save your life and property.
We have heard alot of negativity for the levy, and all of the negativity we hear is because ppl dont know the truth. So I ask you instead of bad mouthing the levy before you know the facts, please come out to one of the open houses at each fire dept throughout greenbrier county and ask questions. We just had an open house at wss fire and NO ONE showed up.
The reality is that some very good fire depts may have to close the doors on the fire dept if this levy does not pass then if you voted no for the levy and your dept closes and your house catches fire, you will wish you would have voted yes. A vote yes could help save your life or property incase of a fire or a car accident.
Remember you have ALOT more to lose then $75.00 a year if you vote no.
Btw, there is an open house at white sulpbur springs city hall tomorrow night 2-19-13 at 6 pm, there will be handouts and a powerpoint presentation to help answer all of your questions, there will even be fire levy committee members there to answer your questions 1 on 1. If you dont come out and ask your questions, please dont get on here and bit$ch about the levy untill you know the facts.
$300000 salary and what are they going to do with the other $70000 to administer the money. All they have to do is write 15 checks. How hard is that to do. Moneys should be divided equal to all fire departments. Equipment cost the same no matter what department has to buy it. This whole levy stinks they way things are being done. VOTE NO
mojo

Dixie, WV

#18 Feb 19, 2013
localyokel, how do you know what I would have thought? Are you a mind reader? Do you think this election is free to hold? That is my main bitch, why waste money for a special election when it could have been on the November ballot? You claim the county commission would not permit it to be on the ballot, give me the date of that meeting and I will be glad to listen to it and proclaim from the rooftops that you are correct.
enough said

Hansford, WV

#19 Feb 19, 2013
I am voting no on the fire levy mainly because of all the misused funds and thieving that goes on it is really hard to pay extra money when people with in steal the money. How many departments have stolen money. Sorry dont need a bunch more money being spent for thieves.
Vote No

Barboursville, WV

#20 Feb 19, 2013
# 1 You insurance rates will not go down.

# 2 If your foolish enough to think that
$72.00 is all your are going to pay you
have been misled.

# 3 If the county commission is going to hold
these monies in a special account that would
a complete fool for any one to vote for that.

# 4 This coordinated with a $ 100,000 budget What
a joke. Guess who in Lewisburg will get
that appointment

# 4 another special election in 5 years on a
Saturday will the county commission fund that
election also. Greenbrier County is in Bad
enough shape.

WAKE UP PEOPLE VOTE "NO"

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lewisburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
pipeline workers camping out 3 hr amy 9
Tree huggers 7 hr hard 2 stop a Tra... 2
House if Delegates 7 hr Mr Ed 12
School Levy 8 hr Abc 13
Banks that want to control firearms business 12 hr hard 2 stop a Tra... 2
Hippie Van Rental 13 hr Wedding Coordinator 1
Hippie Bus Rental 13 hr Wedding Coordinator 1

Lewisburg Jobs

Personal Finance

Lewisburg Mortgages