First Prev
of 2
Next Last
why

Princeton, WV

#1 Jan 18, 2013
What is the deal with Greenbrier County always being the last to cancel or delay school. At 7:20, bus drivers are already at their buses or garage and NOW they cancel school. Did the cooks show up too? Are we paying them all for that? It's been this way for years. Summers, Monroe, Pocahontas counties all are decisive and announce the night before sometimes when it seems obvious to the rest of us. We announce after the bus drivers are already at work!!!!!! WHAT IS THE DEAL!!!! What about all the working parents that need to make plans for their kids so they can go to work at 8:00 or earlier. This is inconsiderate, to decide whether or not there is school so late! Make a decision and show some consideration for others.
Mayflower

United States

#2 Jan 18, 2013
why wrote:
What is the deal with Greenbrier County always being the last to cancel or delay school. At 7:20, bus drivers are already at their buses or garage and NOW they cancel school. Did the cooks show up too? Are we paying them all for that? It's been this way for years. Summers, Monroe, Pocahontas counties all are decisive and announce the night before sometimes when it seems obvious to the rest of us. We announce after the bus drivers are already at work!!!!!! WHAT IS THE DEAL!!!! What about all the working parents that need to make plans for their kids so they can go to work at 8:00 or earlier. This is inconsiderate, to decide whether or not there is school so late! Make a decision and show some consideration for others.
If you don't like it here, move!
chiming in

Princeton, WV

#3 Jan 18, 2013
Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
Pug

White Sulphur Springs, WV

#4 Jan 18, 2013
Mayflower you defensive troll shut up!
1 post removed
really

United States

#6 Jan 18, 2013
I agree with why!!
Question

Charleston, WV

#7 Jan 18, 2013
Why was school closed these last two days...anybody know for sure? Did personnel need a few days off in conjunction with MLK Day?
haha duh

United States

#8 Jan 18, 2013
While i understand your frustration with the delay in announcements, your whole cook/bus driver argument is not likely since a two hour delay was declared last night.
resident

Charleston, WV

#9 Jan 18, 2013
The reason school was closed is because the county BOE has to work against getting sued by parents. If a bus slid how many parents would be sueing the county. Not everyone lives on a main road. And don't worry the way school is now, the kids will have to make up the days.
agree with why

Princeton, WV

#10 Feb 3, 2013
2 hour delays are a huge waste of school funding and tax payers money !! When our kids go to school on delay and early-outs their education is nothing more than a review day, but the cost is equal to a to a full day [fuel, food, utilities, and hourly employee cost the same as any other day of school]. So why should we feel that the children are not being ripped off from their expectations of learning on said days. Some kids may not get a hot lunch on a closed school day, but that means there will be one more day of school in June. The point is people have lives and it would be nice to know what's happening a little earlier. If Pocahontas, Monroe, Summers, Fayette Counties, etc can call off timely then so should we. Anything else looks lazy or incompetent. 2 hr delay days shouldn't count for a full day of instruction. If it didn't count for a day then they'd just call off or not.
Well

United States

#11 Feb 3, 2013
agree with why wrote:
2 hour delays are a huge waste of school funding and tax payers money !! When our kids go to school on delay and early-outs their education is nothing more than a review day, but the cost is equal to a to a full day [fuel, food, utilities, and hourly employee cost the same as any other day of school]. So why should we feel that the children are not being ripped off from their expectations of learning on said days. Some kids may not get a hot lunch on a closed school day, but that means there will be one more day of school in June. The point is people have lives and it would be nice to know what's happening a little earlier. If Pocahontas, Monroe, Summers, Fayette Counties, etc can call off timely then so should we. Anything else looks lazy or incompetent. 2 hr delay days shouldn't count for a full day of instruction. If it didn't count for a day then they'd just call off or not.
How many votes did you get this past election when you ran for a position with the Board of Education??
really

Rosemount, MN

#12 Feb 3, 2013
I get sick of all these school employees going on and on every day about how they get to stay at home, well it is the profession you chose, but remember there are those of us that have to get out and travel on these bad roads while you are sitting behind your computer in your robe bragging on getting to stay at home. There are a lot of days that school could have been held, put the damn chains on the buses and go to school.
citizen

Charleston, WV

#13 Feb 3, 2013
They could put the damn chains on the buses, but how many of you would be calling a lawyer to sue if your kid was on a bus that wrecked?
really

Rosemount, MN

#14 Feb 3, 2013
citizen wrote:
They could put the damn chains on the buses, but how many of you would be calling a lawyer to sue if your kid was on a bus that wrecked?
Really?? Well years ago they put the chains on buses and we went to school, there wasn't any of this 2 hour delay crap or no school crap. Buses are heavier than cars and with chains on they can climb a mountain. Now if it drops 3 drops of snow.. oh lord have mercy, no school and then it's out for a week. LMAO
wow

United States

#15 Feb 3, 2013
really wrote:
I get sick of all these school employees going on and on every day about how they get to stay at home, well it is the profession you chose, but remember there are those of us that have to get out and travel on these bad roads while you are sitting behind your computer in your robe bragging on getting to stay at home. There are a lot of days that school could have been held, put the damn chains on the buses and go to school.
Yes because heaven forbid you have to spend more time with your child. You probably complain whe they have school too! Jealous much that you have to go to work?!
yeah ok

United States

#16 Feb 3, 2013
agree with why wrote:
I suppose you're speaking from experience that 2 hr delays are a waste?
amtrak

Nitro, WV

#17 Feb 3, 2013
okay whine asses run for board of education or shut up!!! you are just mad because you dont want to watch your kids like you should.
hopeless

Webster Springs, WV

#18 Feb 3, 2013
yeah ok wrote:
<quoted text> I suppose you're speaking from experience that 2 hr delays are a waste?
Yes, because lunch must be served and the day is shot.
amtrak

Nitro, WV

#19 Feb 3, 2013
hopeless wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, because lunch must be served and the day is shot.
clueless.
GuessNot

Summersville, WV

#20 Feb 4, 2013
agree with why wrote:
I agree, they should just add more days on in June and July. Then you can get on here and bitch because your vacation plans were ruined by an extended school year due to snow days.

If you knew jack squat then you would know that after WESTEST is done the teaching is done, so adding days on after that is ignorant. After WESTEST is finished they just take the kids on the playground for 5 hour recess or show Disney movies. Sure would hate for our kids to miss that.
Reality 101

Rich Creek, VA

#21 Feb 4, 2013
Damn! Did I ever screw up! I should have been a school teacher. Off all summer and half the winter, all holidays and weekends!
But no........I chose a career where I actually have to go to work every day, some weekends and some holidays! Where did I go wrong?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lewisburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Greg R 1 hr Haha 3
Chris Thompson 2 hr Jessica 23
general lewis 5 hr indasky 1
Cougars 8 hr Miss cougar to you 3
New Southern Exposure coming to Lewisburg! 8 hr Agreed 14
Dark gray Jeep grand Cherokee 9 hr wvrescue 3
CPS is worthless (Jan '12) 12 hr Enough already 32
Lewisburg Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web