Cornersville Elem School
hello

Columbia, TN

#101 May 22, 2010
OMG wrote:
<quoted text>
I am a parent of a student at this school, and I don't mean offense here, but you are giving these aides way too much credit. Maybe calling them ketchup openers is a little out of line, but let's be serious. All these aides at this school are not needed, and as a result of not being needed, their positions ARE hurting the county's money.
Four aides for 500 students!!! You think that is too many? You have no clue! Have you ever been there to see what they do on a daily basis? evidently not!! There are Reading Assts. and teacher's assts. so I have heard. My child said the reading assistants do nothing but do tiers and test children. He told me that the women in the "workroom" were so nice, he loves every one of them. I do not think their small salaries are hurting the county's money. All four of their salaries probably will not add up to one of the workers at the central office.
sayso

Pinola, MS

#102 May 22, 2010
Remember, this is Cornersville Elementary School's forum. If you want to talk about MES, make another topic. As for the principal of Cornersville Elementary, she is a genuine and true person who cares about other's feelings. She treats every child as if he/she was her own, and she seems to really enjoy her profession.
nope

White House, TN

#103 May 22, 2010
sayso have you named yourself the forum police now? And unless you have seen the genuine and true person in her own element and how she manages her staff, then you have no clue. Go dawgs-there that made this post applicable.
Grandparent

Farmersville, TX

#104 May 22, 2010
Nppls wrote:
She wants everyone off of HER ship that doesn't want to be there. And she doesn't mind telling you that while she stands on a table barefoot and beats her chest with her fist. When PT left there the teachers and students lost "their" school, it is now HER school.
Well, she'll be the first to go if her methods don't work.
sayso

United States

#105 May 22, 2010
Everyone is so against everything the principals, teachers, and aids do these days, I wonder why they don't homeschool their kids. Then those that are complaining now, will have to find something else to fuss about.
what

Columbia, TN

#106 May 22, 2010
OMG wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL-why so sensitive?
If that is in fact their purpose, that's even more absurd. There are students leaving this school going into the seventh grade severely lacking math/reading skills. I know that for a fact. If this is what these aides are supposed to be doing, they need to be replaced by ones that are more competent.
BTW, is childish calling really necessary?
The aides that do the math have college degrees, so maybe it is your child that just doesn't get it!! Has your child always had trouble in math, if so maybe you should get a tutor after school, since you can't help.
homeboy

Chicago, IL

#107 May 22, 2010
what wrote:
<quoted text>The aides that do the math have college degrees, so maybe it is your child that just doesn't get it!! Has your child always had trouble in math, if so maybe you should get a tutor after school, since you can't help.
If they have college degrees then shouldn't they be able to teach this stuff? Are you saying despite their degree, they lack the skills to help the struggling children learn math? If so , then they are of no use degree or not. A college degree doesn't mean you are capable just "qualified".
haha

New Orleans, LA

#108 May 22, 2010
some kids just can't be taught because they simply do not want to remember that the standards changed and math was hit really hard with a level of difficulty being raised. a degree does not grant the magical power of being able to help a child learn!
Grandparent

United States

#109 May 22, 2010
what wrote:
<quoted text>The aides that do the math have college degrees, so maybe it is your child that just doesn't get it!! Has your child always had trouble in math, if so maybe you should get a tutor after school, since you can't help.
Having a college degree doesn't mean you can teach math. I've known people who were brilliant in math, but oculdn't begin to explain it to someone who doesn't understand.
yeppers

New Orleans, LA

#110 May 22, 2010
Most children don't want a tutor they want someone who will do the work for them. It is called, turn off the tv, put down the cell phone, stop texting, unplug the X-Box, put the Wii in storage and get out a book, pencil, and paper.
what

Columbia, TN

#111 May 23, 2010
yeppers wrote:
Most children don't want a tutor they want someone who will do the work for them. It is called, turn off the tv, put down the cell phone, stop texting, unplug the X-Box, put the Wii in storage and get out a book, pencil, and paper.
You are exactly right!!!! The children that haven't learned how to add fractions at the end of 6th grade, probably didn't want to know how to start with!!! Just wonder how much time the parents or whomever has them after school, spend working with them on math poblems. Some parents need to get real and help with homework. I'm sure the teacher would help if you ask.
hmmmm

Columbia, TN

#112 May 23, 2010
homeboy wrote:
<quoted text>If they have college degrees then shouldn't they be able to teach this stuff? Are you saying despite their degree, they lack the skills to help the struggling children learn math? If so , then they are of no use degree or not. A college degree doesn't mean you are capable just "qualified".
Well it's like this. No they do not lack the skills. You can teach all day, and some still just won't understand it. Some kids get it and some don't. That's life. Some want to learn, some don't really give a hoot. Those are the ones that need to learn life skills.
MCHS93

Columbia, TN

#113 May 23, 2010
I observed at this school (CES) for my college education classes. Was the COLDEST and UNFRIENDLIEST school of ALL schools I have observed (which have been many in Marshall, Maury & Giles) The staff at this school all need to be on Prozac and put a smile on their faces! Is it that bad to be working under Mrs. Reese?
homeboy

United States

#114 May 23, 2010
hmmmm wrote:
<quoted text>Well it's like this. No they do not lack the skills. You can teach all day, and some still just won't understand it. Some kids get it and some don't. That's life. Some want to learn, some don't really give a hoot. Those are the ones that need to learn life skills.
Well with that attitude no wonder they aren't learning. Do you only teach the ones who are easily interested or do you try to motivate the ones who stuggle and don't want to? You want the parents who are probably not as educated or lack skills to teach them at home but then you brag about having a degree. Sounds like you don't care about any but the easy kids not the stuggling or unmotivated. That is sad.
Oh to be a Teacher

Nashville, TN

#115 May 23, 2010
hmmmm wrote:
<quoted text>Well it's like this. No they do not lack the skills. You can teach all day, and some still just won't understand it. Some kids get it and some don't. That's life. Some want to learn, some don't really give a hoot. Those are the ones that need to learn life skills.
Learning requires good teaching and both require understanding of communication between the two as to have the success of a good education.
We all need to learn the skills of life and as long as we live we are never to old to learn.
what

United States

#116 May 23, 2010
hmmmmmm I agree with you that if they have not learned to add fractions by the time they are in the sixth grade-there is not much to strive for. Apparently the child is either not applying themself or just does not care cause Momma said that she never uses fractions and don't see why we have to learn them. Yep I agree life skills is more in line for several. Unlike homeboy, I don't recall reading where u claim to have a degree. hmmmm go figure.
hmmmm

Columbia, TN

#117 May 23, 2010
homeboy wrote:
<quoted text>Well with that attitude no wonder they aren't learning. Do you only teach the ones who are easily interested or do you try to motivate the ones who stuggle and don't want to? You want the parents who are probably not as educated or lack skills to teach them at home but then you brag about having a degree. Sounds like you don't care about any but the easy kids not the stuggling or unmotivated. That is sad.
And who said I was the one teaching? I am no teacher, or do not claim to be. I never said I was the one teaching.
Grandparent

United States

#118 May 23, 2010
what wrote:
<quoted text>You are exactly right!!!! The children that haven't learned how to add fractions at the end of 6th grade, probably didn't want to know how to start with!!! Just wonder how much time the parents or whomever has them after school, spend working with them on math poblems. Some parents need to get real and help with homework. I'm sure the teacher would help if you ask.
Unfortunately, there are many, many parents who cannot work with fractions. They have forgotten the rules.
Grandparent

United States

#119 May 23, 2010
hmmmm wrote:
I have long said that we don't expect every child to grow up to be a professional baseball or football player...they do not all have the athletic skills. Why do we expect every child to grow up to get a college education.....they do not all have the same intelligence. That's why there's an AVERAGE IQ of 100, some are above that and some are below.
no clue

Columbia, TN

#120 May 25, 2010
Grandparent wrote:
<quoted text>
I have long said that we don't expect every child to grow up to be a professional baseball or football player...they do not all have the athletic skills. Why do we expect every child to grow up to get a college education.....they do not all have the same intelligence. That's why there's an AVERAGE IQ of 100, some are above that and some are below.
Has anyone said they expected your child or grandchild to be college oriented. If you know he or she is having problems, then why do you expect more out of him than he can give. Those math helpers probably couldn't help anyway, if he is not capable of understanding.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lewisburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
wat about bill haywood (Sep '10) Tue Just Saying 40
OMAR Steakhouse (Nov '14) Jan 15 Critic 86
You need this (Mar '15) Jan 14 Happiness 3
Your take on ..... (Oct '07) Jan 14 Left 4
Marshall County Bookings and Mugshots (Nov '15) Jan 14 Left 15
Cornersville assistant principal punishes entir... (Feb '16) Jan 13 Laughing at you 10
Taking back our community!! (Apr '08) Jan 13 Its ok 27

Lewisburg Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Lewisburg Mortgages