We are a Christian Nation

Posted in the Lewisburg Forum

Now we know

Lewisburg, TN

#1 Feb 20, 2013
Senator McCain urged compassion. "We are a Judeo-Christian nation," he said. McCain's other town hall meeting took place in Green Valley, south of Tucson.

So Yes! According to Senator McCain we are indeed a Christian Nation. Just thought y'all should know that.

http://news.yahoo.com/mccain-defends-immigrat...
Lucy Fer

Lewisburg, TN

#2 Feb 20, 2013
Know that McCain says stupid things sometimes? Most people know that already, but knowledge is power so carry on good sir or madam.

Since: Jun 11

Lewisburg, TN

#3 Feb 24, 2013
as much as i appreciate the pun... keep in mind that there are people around here daft enough to believe you ARE actually the devil.
Dee Ablo

Columbia, TN

#4 Feb 24, 2013
yea, it's like taking dulces from el vambino.

Lewisburg, TN

#5 Feb 24, 2013
hahaha
Lucy Fer

Lewisburg, TN

#6 Feb 24, 2013
I really don't think people like that would have any different opinion if they knew me in person. I don't hate black people for being black, i must be Satan. I don't hate gay people for being gay, i must be Beelzebub. I don't hate Muslims for being Muslims, i must be the Angel of Darkness. I might as well wear a nametag with "The Antichrist" written on it in this town sometimes.
Dee Ablo

Columbia, TN

#7 Feb 24, 2013
Random Bible quotes in 5....4....3....2...........

Lewisburg, TN

#8 Feb 24, 2013
i likes you... you sound intelligent.
sympathy

United States

#9 Feb 24, 2013
pleased to meet you. Hope you guessed my name.
Light of the world

Pageland, SC

#10 Feb 24, 2013
sympathy wrote:
Mr. Stupid?
Oberon

Columbia, TN

#11 Feb 25, 2013
Naw. Believing that an Abrahamic God created the world about less than 10,000 years is pretty stupid though.
Volforlife

Athens, AL

#12 Feb 25, 2013
sympathy wrote:
Mick Jagger?
Light of the world

Cherryville, NC

#13 Feb 25, 2013
Oberon wrote:
Naw. Believing that an Abrahamic God created the world about less than 10,000 years is pretty stupid though.
I believe in God, but I do not believe in that statement. what people do not understand is that the Bible does not say WHEN the world was formed. anyone who gives a time is only assuming.
old timer

Lewisburg, TN

#14 Feb 25, 2013
Now we know wrote:
Senator McCain urged compassion. "We are a Judeo-Christian nation," he said. McCain's other town hall meeting took place in Green Valley, south of Tucson.
So Yes! According to Senator McCain we are indeed a Christian Nation. Just thought y'all should know that.
http://news.yahoo.com/mccain-defends-immigrat...
We were prior to the ACLU.

Lewisburg, TN

#15 Feb 25, 2013
except that the founding fathers were mostly Deists ( http://www.infidels.org/library/modern/farrel... ) and Thomas Jefferson even went so far as to compile a version of the story of Jesus without the miracles or resurrection.

"And the day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin, will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter" (Thomas Jefferson - April 11, 1823)
the end is near

Lewisburg, TN

#16 Feb 25, 2013
some jerk wrote:
except that the founding fathers were mostly Deists ( http://www.infidels.org/library/modern/farrel... ) and Thomas Jefferson even went so far as to compile a version of the story of Jesus without the miracles or resurrection.
"And the day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin, will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter" (Thomas Jefferson - April 11, 1823)
So you say. Funny how so much of the infrastructure around Washington D.C. says differently. Still, not to be undone by anyone, can you tell me a city in the United states that does not have a Christian church? You may not accept the biblical account of Jesus, but to compare it to fables or any other "persons" belief or thoughts is ludicrous. You don't want to accept it, fine, but not accepting something based on someone else's opinion 2000 years later is weak at best, ignorant at worst. You can swear there ain't no heaven and you can pray there ain't no hell, but you'll never know by living, only your dying will tell. Good luck with that.

Lewisburg, TN

#17 Feb 25, 2013
the end is near wrote:
<quoted text>
So you say. Funny how so much of the infrastructure around Washington D.C. says differently. Still, not to be undone by anyone, can you tell me a city in the United states that does not have a Christian church? You may not accept the biblical account of Jesus, but to compare it to fables or any other "persons" belief or thoughts is ludicrous. You don't want to accept it, fine, but not accepting something based on someone else's opinion 2000 years later is weak at best, ignorant at worst. You can swear there ain't no heaven and you can pray there ain't no hell, but you'll never know by living, only your dying will tell. Good luck with that.
What infrastructure, the masonic symbolysim carved out in the street ways of washington? the argument wasn't about how many churches there are in D.C. or where the churches are in the country. A lot of people say a lot of things. those were the words of our countries founding fathers. The great men who laid out the roadmap for the greatest damn country on earth, and personally saw the horors that could happen when free men were told what religion to follow by their government. The comparison to mythological stories wasn't even from MY mouth but as i stated, from Thomas Jefferson. You know.. the third president of our "christian nation".

I don't care what church you go or don't go to or what god you subscribe to as long as you keep it from forcing its way into my home, my wallet, and my schools and allow me to live my life per the rules provided by the constitution whether you agree with them or not. The nation itself does not follow ANY one religion and was very specific about that. It mentions A god, but never specifies the christian one. Many people in the nation do follow the christian god, and that's their business, not the business of the government they run.

oh and if your'e worried about opinions in the last 2000 years... doubts been around longer that that.

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?
Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing?
Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing?
Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing?
Then why call him God?" -epicurus 270 bce
Volforlife

Athens, AL

#18 Feb 25, 2013
old timer wrote:
<quoted text>
We were prior to the ACLU.
Ah yes, Old Timer. You had slavery, genocide of some American Indian tribes, zero rights for women. What was that again?
the end is near

Lewisburg, TN

#19 Feb 25, 2013
some jerk wrote:
<quoted text>
What infrastructure, the masonic symbolysim carved out in the street ways of washington? the argument wasn't about how many churches there are in D.C. or where the churches are in the country.....
I can agree with a lot of what you said. That being said, there were many 'Christian' believing men and women involved in many aspects of the beginnings of our Country. Those forefathers had wives, friends and children who also had influence just as we do today. As religions go, it was a majority, regardless of anything else. As for how our government was formed, indeed they did the right thing and seperated church and state, yet assured those who chose to follow their religion were given the rights to do so. Jefferson also said in that letter of Calvin, "He was indeed an Atheist, which I can never be...". Regardless of what Jefferson believed, or Senator McCain, for that matter, we are a nation which allows for the individual to believe and follow whatever path they determine is right for themselves.

I too, even as a Christian do not believe on forcing ANY religion on anyone, but at the same time I also believe that all should have the right to speak their minds freely without hinderence, publicly or privately. As a Christian, I believe it is my right to chose how to live MY life in that manner and at the same time afford others the same rights. If one believes anything contrary to what the bible teaches, that is their right, and they shall have the right to exercise it just as the law says. Be it abortion or homosexuality, that is their business, not mine or yours. If put to a vote, I will vote my conscious just as you will, but when it comes to what is lawful in this country, I will defend those rights, even if I don't approve.

It is those that fail to understand Christianity that have problems, and I mean both those who claim to be Christian as well as those who don't. No where in the bible does it say it is my job to save the world. It is only my job to help make it known, as in show the horse the water, not force it to drink. According to 'true' Christian belief, when I come before my God, it will be how I lived my life being judged, and not anyone else's. It will be my sins on trial not yours. If you want to get an abortion, that is your choice and I would never stop you if that is the law. It really is none of my business. If you are gay by whatever reason, that is your business, not mine, and in both instances, I will treat you with just as much love and respect as if you did not do those things. And THAT is what make a difference between me and other Christians. I will never subject my beliefs on you.

As for Epicurius' list, it is a list of evidence of those who do not understand the Christian/Judaism God. Just because Epicurius was a Greek philosopher doesn't make him correct in his assumptions. I too am Greek, lol. I would tell Epicurius, God does not prevent evil because if he did, no one would have a choice. They would be forced to be a good robot and God does not want a good robot or else he would have made us that way. Omnipotent or having unlimited power; able to do anything, means just that. Choosing not to do something about evil does not negate that ability.

Malevolent does not mean a person is able to stop evil but not willing, it means having or showing a wish to DO evil to others. Evil comes from the heart of mankind. Love comes from God. Many children wrongly believe the parent is evil and unloving because they punish, when it is actually out of love the parent punishes. But again, it also comes down to free will. To expect God to make or force us to live a Utopian life is unreasonable. Adam and Eve (if they actually existed as two people and not an allegory) couldn't live right in a Utopian environment either.

Lewisburg, TN

#20 Feb 25, 2013
Thank you near... for not being as dense as your first post indicated.. i honestly expected you to be some daft old fart like "old timer" there. For some reason there seem to be alot of "christians" that didnt pay any attention to what christ said, get in everyones face about it and generally spout alot of BS.

Its refreshing to see someone capable of recognizing the difference between a nation of christians, and a "christian nation".

As for my afterlife, i can say i meet the requirements of the 7 noahic commandments, so should be fine. regardless of what church you follow, the god of the hebrews has place for ALL just men.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lewisburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Work 19 hr hey dude 20
praying for Steven king 21 hr Think about it 17
Ole Steak House 23 hr thereturn of some... 43
State of MCHS Athletics Thu just the facts 9
Lewisburg vs.Chapel Hill? Better Place To Live? Wed springhill campgr... 4
Sell and Ship (Jul '07) May 20 Karma 68
Marshall Tribune May 20 TieGur 4
More from around the web

Lewisburg People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE