Timber

Pontotoc, MS

#1 Jun 15, 2010
does anybody know a horse trainer by the name of Barney Davis?
Grandparent

River Falls, WI

#2 Jun 15, 2010
Timber wrote:
does anybody know a horse trainer by the name of Barney Davis?
Yes. He is from the Lewisburg area, but don't know if he is still around or not.
horsey

AOL

#3 Jun 16, 2010
Yes he's still around and he does train in L'burg. Drive down Verona Caney you will see his barn.
Tennessee Mom

AOL

#4 Jun 16, 2010
He's one of the best spotted horse trainers around.
Perry

United States

#5 Aug 21, 2010
he is one of the cruelest horse abusers around!Been caught with bolts at a dqp just this month!
Perry

United States

#6 Aug 21, 2010
maybe one of the CRUEL'EST horse trainers around!!!! caught with bolts just this past month. bANNED FOR LIFE!
silly me

United States

#7 Aug 24, 2010
if he's a spotted horse trainer I wouldn't go there, most spotted horse trainers are the pits and I've actually helped check in horses at the DQP station at a spotted show and was appalled at what I saw (am not mentioning names of the DQP) but he himself shoulda been fined
CrazyHeart

Gallatin, TN

#8 Aug 26, 2010
Perry wrote:
maybe one of the CRUEL'EST horse trainers around!!!! caught with bolts just this past month. bANNED FOR LIFE!
I also have heard horror stories about Barney Davis and his training techniques. The last one I heard was a horse in his barn had been beat and left a bone showing gash on the horses face!
ASW

United States

#9 Sep 5, 2010
The horror stories you have heard are true. The training techniques you have heard are true. The slander of his name being cruel it is also true, but my goodness THE WORD NEEDS OUT THERE! If you truly care for your horse, do not by any means go there. He does not care for your animal, nor for you. I am a past customer. I have been there, done that, I learnt my lesson.:( Your horse will be scared for life from THE INSIDE OUT!!!!! You can not heal inside scars people. They remember. I finally had to sale my horse and start over with new stock. This man is so secretive he does his own shoeing and you should see the cross tie shoeing machinery!!! All the rinches, and tools and I dont know the name for all that, the drill. Horses lead so pitiful around there it broke my heart on that concrete. In the end you pay alot of money for a horse scared for life. Go some where were a good honest trainer will treat you and your horse like family.
hello

Pontotoc, MS

#11 Mar 12, 2011
has there been anything done (legally) about him yet?.... NO! Will there..........NO!!!!!!!!!
something was done

United States

#12 Mar 19, 2011
I heard he was arrested thursday, took to jail. Bonded out,doesn`t look good for him! Had to have all the horses out of his barn today.[SAT. 19]Justice sometimes is done!

Since: Dec 09

Regina, Canada

#13 Mar 31, 2011
See article on Barney Davis and others here:
Trial Date Set in Tennessee 'Soring' Case
http://www.thehorse.com/ViewArticle.aspx...
popstar

Philadelphia, PA

#14 Apr 4, 2011
Dude needs to be in jail. I have been at horse shows n seen the horses he has brought. I hope he comes back as a horse in his own barn. I believe the state is correct in going after him!
Shelbyville Time Gazette

Cornersville, TN

#15 Apr 27, 2011

4th person charged with soring horses
Wednesday, April 27, 2011

By BRIAN MOSELY ~ bmosely@t-g.com
A 34-count superseding indictment was returned by a federal grand jury Tuesday against three people already accused of soring horses, with a fourth person also now charged.
Paul Blackburn, 35, of Shelbyville was indicted Tuesday along with Barney Davis, 38, of Lewisburg, Christen Altman, 25, of Shelbyville, and Jeffery Bradford, 33, of Lewisburg.

Altman, Davis and Bradford were indicted by a federal grand jury in March for soring horses and are currently free on no bond.

According to a press release from the Department of Justice, the new indictments charge the four with additional violations of the federal Horse Protection Act "and related financial crimes."

Davis and Altman have also been charged with 13 counts of wire fraud, one count of wire fraud conspiracy and 12 counts of money laundering.

Authorities alleged that as part of Davis's horse training operation, he and Altman collected payments from out-of-state clients based upon false representations that horses would be trained in accordance with the Horse Protection Act.

Davis and Altman then allegedly used the funds to perpetuate the horse training operation, using methods specifically prohibited by the Horse Protection Act, "including mechanical and chemical soring procedures," Public Information Officer Sharry Dedman-Beard said.

Federal prosecutors are also seeking asset forfeiture in this case from Davis and Altman.

"Some of the alleged conduct of the defendants contained in this superseding indictment constitutes federal felonies, if convicted," U.S. Attorney Bill Killian said.

"The U.S. Attorney's Office and the Department of Agriculture want to put this industry on notice that such conduct will not be tolerated and will be subject to federal prosecution," Killian said.

The four did not appear in federal court to be arraigned on the new charges. Assistant U.S. Attorney Steven Neff will prosecute the case on behalf of the United States.

The indictment alleges that from 2002 to October 2010, Davis, Altman, Bradford and Blackburn "and others known and unknown" conspired to sore the horses and falsify documents.

According to the indictment, the object of the conspiracy was to sore horses without being detected by the USDA and Designated Qualified Persons (DQP) so that additional customers would pay Davis to board and train their horses at his barn.

DQPs are inspectors who check horses competing in horse shows for evidence of soring.

New allegations state that on or about Oct. 1 & 2, 2010, after Davis received a lifetime ban from participating in horse shows, he allegedly entered horses he was paid to train at the Spotted Saddle Horse Breeders and Exhibitors' Association Fall Show in Shelbyville.

On or about October 2, 2010, Altman, Davis and Blackburn allegedly falsely listed defendant Blackburn as the trainer for the horse, Silver Dollar Son, also known as "Silver Dollar Sun," on the entry paperwork for the SSHBEA Annual Fall Show.

Blackburn allegedly received a DQP citation for Silver Dollar Son for "being unilaterally sore during inspection" and the indictment also says that Davis falsely claimed that Bradford was scheduled to participate and act as a trainer in the July 30, 2010 Manchester horse show on behalf of Davis. Bradford also allegedly made the same false claims.

The indictment also alleges that on Nov. 9, 2010, Altman and Blackburn endorsed a winnings check from SSHBEA for "sweepstakes," payable to Blackburn and deposited the check into Davis' bank account.
Disgusted

Shelbyville, TN

#16 May 19, 2011
Anyone know when or how they will be sentenced?
Serious

United States

#17 May 22, 2011
Disgusted wrote:
Anyone know when or how they will be sentenced?
Heard May 31,11. I don`t think he will get out of this one. He ruled the spotted shows for a long time. His friends in dqp did as he said, If he thought someones horse would be better than his he would have his friends in dqp to give you a ticket.If you were not from lewisburg or shelbyville you might as well not show.They would get rid of you one way or the other. Maybe now people will have a chance with him gone.All this mess has just about done horseshowing in!
Back at it

Hudson, FL

#18 Jun 19, 2011
All is true yes, but an attempt to stop him only slowed him down he's back at it already even before his trial date in July. My suggestion would be to take the condoners right along down with him. Thats the only 100% way they are ever going to stop the man from hurting animals, he just is rightious to hurt them and as long as people are loving the blues and handing horses over so they can win he will keep sneaking and doing it. They want to pretend to be amature owned and trained who do they think they are fooling?? Thats as silly as when they dressed up and tried to show in the stake class. I know a Barny walk when I see it and Mellissa Walker, Lyn Droka have their horses in training with Barny Davis. Hauling them on the same trailer, in the same barn very odd or is it sure its far away or is it sure you have proof or do you? These two ladies and Barney and the whole gang need stopped in their tracks because once again their shaking their balls at the usda and the show spectators,competition and everyone. If they didn't learn the first time the big white house needs to bite them ALL hard now. Im very sure more of the same old gang will reunite soon enough. So far I have only noticed Mellissa and Lyn. Lyn Droka who was also a hauler for the suspended trainer.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lewisburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Scotland will be a part of England 4 hr My people from Sc... 1
Where is the best place to work 7 hr I want to work 1
I miss Mae 8 hr Shane 27
Luna Vapor 8 hr Just a regular guy 3
First TN Bank takeover BoAs 8 hr Just a regular guy 6
TN Should state mandate immunizations? New require... (May '11) 12 hr TheRealZeke 9,447
Stay away from Lewisburg (Jan '06) 13 hr team owner 13,162
•••
•••
•••

Lewisburg Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Lewisburg People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Lewisburg News, Events & Info