Churches of Today Do Not Do This Practice as my family did.

Posted in the Lewisburg Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
family

Lewisburg, TN

#1 Jul 9, 2013
Corporation by Laws of Sharon Church

1st Be it resolved by Sharon Church, that if any person or
persons, are found guilty of buying selling or using any
intoxicating liquors on any day of Public Worship, shall be
fined Fifty Dollars.

Art 2nd That if any person or persons shall raise riots,
quarrels, use profane Language, or be guilty of any kind of
disorderly Conduct such as drawing weapons or fireing Pistols or
guns on any day of public worship Shall be fined not less than
Twenty five dollars, nor more than Fifty

Art 3rd Be it further resolved, That if any person or persons,
shall be found guilty of Horse swapping, or trading within the
Corporation limits on any day of publich worship, Shall be fined
in Sum of Ten dollars.

Art 4th Be it further resolved, That if any person or persons,
are found guilty of running a Horse, card playing, or gambling,
in any way or proposing the same to others within the
Corporation limits on any day of public Worship, Shall be fined
Fifty Dollars.

Art 5th Be it further resolved, That if any person shall be
found guilty of setting up writings upon the Church House or
near the same on an indecent or vulgar nature, Shall be fined
Ten dollars

Art 6th Be it further resolved, That if any person or persons,
shall be found guilty of braking the doors or windows of the
Church House, or removing Seats or planks, or doing injury to
the same Shall be fined, Ten dollars, and be liable to damages
to the extent of injury done.

Art 7th Be it further resolved, That if Any person, is found
guilty of throwing timber or other Obstructions in the Church
House yard or any of the roads leading to the same inside the
Corporation lines Shall be fined Five dollars.

Art 8th Be it further resolved That if any person or persons,
who shall be drunk, or behave disorderly, or disturb the peace
of the Church, or Congregation in any manner, not designated in
the above articles shall be fined Ten dollars

Art 9th Be it further resolved, That any person, who may bring
or retain a Stallion within the Corporation lines, on any day of
public Worship, and shall refuse to move him after being
notified, shall pay a fine of Ten Dollars

Art 10th Be it further resolved, That any person or persons,
who shall wantonly tear down the by laws of this church, upon
due Conviction thereof, shall pay a fine of Ten dollars.

Art 11th Be if further resolved, That it shall be the duty of
the Trustees of Sharon Church, to enforce any of the above laws
when necessary, and to prosecute all offences before any Court
of Competent jurisdiction, and pay over fines collected by them,
to the Treasurer, for the use of said church

Whereas we deam it all important that Order Should be kept in
the House of the Lord therefore we the BAPTIST CHURCH OF CHRIST
AT SHARON Adopt the Rules following
family

Lewisburg, TN

#2 Jul 9, 2013
In those days everyone went to church without choice even though this is America. Church is not GOD. Church is the Body of Christ which means He is the HEAD of those who follow His Ministry. Look how my ancestors had to pay for this and that if they did wrong. Where was the simple act of forgiveness?
Skeptic of you

Lewisburg, TN

#3 Jul 9, 2013
family wrote:
In those days everyone went to church without choice even though this is America. Church is not GOD. Church is the Body of Christ which means He is the HEAD of those who follow His Ministry. Look how my ancestors had to pay for this and that if they did wrong. Where was the simple act of forgiveness?
Exactly what church did you attend that used this? What you copy and pasted (as usual) is old and outdated even for the Baptist Church. Still, your claim that "everyone went to church without choice" is not true at all. You are ignorant of history. What people did wrong in the "old days" is no different than what they do today. The only thing that has changed is society. The only people FORCED to go to church back then is the same today: children of parents who attend. That is not a crime or a bad thing. Just because a particular denomination does things their way does not mean anything. If you don't like it, move on. I personally don't believe in any denomination of church as it is nothing more than a divider. The True Church IS the body of all true Christians and Jesus is the head of that body as you say.
family

Lewisburg, TN

#4 Jul 9, 2013
My 4th great grandpa's information had this below;

"BIOGRAPHY: Saturday 26th February 1848
In consequence of its being noised abroad--and of the reproach of this church of BRO. JAMES O LIPHANT, having fiddling & dancing at his house not long since--It was moved and seconded tha t a committee of two bretheren, visit Bro. Oliphant, and inquire of him personally, if the ru mor of such proceedings are true--and what the said Bro. Oli. may propose or do in the case a nd report to this the result at next meeting in March

BIOGRAPHY: Sunday, 26th March 1848
The bretheren report BRO. OLIPHANT, and he made a satisfaction to the church.

BIOGRAPHY: Sharon Church W. Parish, La. May the 9, 1857
A charge was then brought before the church of Brother OLIPHANT allowing frolicking in his ho use, case was looked into and the brother examined the crime was all laid on his children, th ey being over grown and had possession of the place the brother was exempted from the charg e and forgiven for the transgression."

From there, I searched to where he was baptized, Feb 24,1842. I know the church. My ancestors went there. Third and Fouth Generations since an Inquisition. My fraternal grandpa preached there.
People change, thank GOD for the better!
If you look at how your own family ways were, you too would share it. I share.
Christians can be ugly and think they are better than another and that, my friend is not right.
I believe in repenting, asking for forgiveness and loving one another. I have no hate in me towards another. It is just people are in churches and many personalities are there. I don't know when the paying for wrongs (sins) was stopped with that church but I thank God for the picture of back in time of how it was for my family that went there.

Since you see the OLIPHANT name, I am stuck. I can't get beyond DUNCAN OLIPHANT-MARY GARRISON to Scotland on this line.
Skeptic of you

Lewisburg, TN

#5 Jul 9, 2013
family wrote:
My 4th great grandpa's information had this below;
"BIOGRAPHY: Saturday 26th February 1848
In consequence of its being noised abroad--and of the reproach of this church of BRO. JAMES O LIPHANT, having fiddling & dancing at his house not long since--It was moved and seconded tha t a committee of two bretheren, visit Bro. Oliphant, and inquire of him personally, if the ru mor of such proceedings are true--and what the said Bro. Oli. may propose or do in the case a nd report to this the result at next meeting in March
BIOGRAPHY: Sunday, 26th March 1848
The bretheren report BRO. OLIPHANT, and he made a satisfaction to the church.
BIOGRAPHY: Sharon Church W. Parish, La. May the 9, 1857
A charge was then brought before the church of Brother OLIPHANT allowing frolicking in his ho use, case was looked into and the brother examined the crime was all laid on his children, th ey being over grown and had possession of the place the brother was exempted from the charg e and forgiven for the transgression."
From there, I searched to where he was baptized, Feb 24,1842. I know the church. My ancestors went there. Third and Fouth Generations since an Inquisition. My fraternal grandpa preached there.
People change, thank GOD for the better!
If you look at how your own family ways were, you too would share it. I share.
Christians can be ugly and think they are better than another and that, my friend is not right.
I believe in repenting, asking for forgiveness and loving one another. I have no hate in me towards another. It is just people are in churches and many personalities are there. I don't know when the paying for wrongs (sins) was stopped with that church but I thank God for the picture of back in time of how it was for my family that went there.
Since you see the OLIPHANT name, I am stuck. I can't get beyond DUNCAN OLIPHANT-MARY GARRISON to Scotland on this line.
LAME!!! That still was not YOUR family, that was relations to you. we are related to Neanderthal man, does that mean anything for how we are today?? No! You are making assumptions with NO basis, NO proof of what happened way back then. And what good does it do? It will never change how we are today. What is your point is all this??? Or do you just like cutting and pasting?
Skeptic of you

Lewisburg, TN

#6 Jul 9, 2013
You claim, "I have no hate in me towards another." I know who you are... are sure you want to lie like that?
family

Lewisburg, TN

#7 Jul 9, 2013
You're fussy, today. Take your time and read what I wrote without complaining. Read it twice, without complaining. Family History is what I do.

I repeat, I have not hatred for another, not even you. You can be mad or upset with someone but that changes. I take what greatly hurts me and find positive things to do with it.
Skeptic of you

Lewisburg, TN

#8 Jul 9, 2013
family wrote:
You're fussy, today. Take your time and read what I wrote without complaining. Read it twice, without complaining. Family History is what I do.
I repeat, I have not hatred for another, not even you. You can be mad or upset with someone but that changes. I take what greatly hurts me and find positive things to do with it.
I don't need to read but one time to know what you are doing. In your head you somehow relate what happened yesterday defines what you do today and that is BS! Yesterday is gone. Stop blaming your relations for your problems today. YOU created your own problems as we all do. Stop digging up old skeletons and using them for your excuses.

If you say you have no hatred for another, you are a liar. I have read what you have said in the past. You can't hide. How you write and the things you say on topix is like a fingerprint! Yes you can change but you must go back and fix your bad mistakes and make them right.

You said, "I believe in repenting, asking for forgiveness and loving one another. I have no hate in me towards another. It is just people are in churches and many personalities are there. I don't know when the paying for wrongs (sins) was stopped with that church but I thank God for the picture of back in time of how it was for my family that went there."

What have you done to repent? How have you asked for any forgiveness? Who cares when anyone was paying for sins with money stopped, it has nothing to do with you today! How can you be happen for a picture of wrong doing? I enjoy pictures of happy times, not sad times. Your head is on backwards or something.
family

Lewisburg, TN

#9 Jul 9, 2013
Here we go again! I post about my ancestors and a church. Comparing that with churches today, it shows they had strict rules in being a member of that church.
I knew a girl in High School who was a member of an AME Church. She asked me if I paid 'dues' at my church. I answered, no. I told her, I never heard of paying dues. She went on to say, that if a member does not pay dues for five weeks they could not come back! I still find that odd for Christians.
Skeptic of you

Lewisburg, TN

#11 Jul 9, 2013
family wrote:
Here we go again! I post about my ancestors and a church. Comparing that with churches today, it shows they had strict rules in being a member of that church.
I knew a girl in High School who was a member of an AME Church. She asked me if I paid 'dues' at my church. I answered, no. I told her, I never heard of paying dues. She went on to say, that if a member does not pay dues for five weeks they could not come back! I still find that odd for Christians.
You can't compare yesterday with today. Not that it is any better, but churches today can not get away with BS rules they use to. But since the bible was massed produced in 1550, no one has the excuse that the church or the pastor or preacher said so... That is BS! Read the effn bible and see what GOD says!!! That is just as good today as it was in 1550. Anyone who is duped by a church or preacher is a fool who didn't have sense enough to read the Word!
family

Lewisburg, TN

#12 Jul 9, 2013
lewisburg Mensa,
I looked over the papers and it appears to have been a Treasurer . The Church Records stayed in one family. It is interesting to me and maybe boring to others but for the love of family and my deceased 2nd Cousin Ella Hughes, I post this for you.
I found this interesting on my 4th great grandpa.

"Unfinished business as regards James Oliphant's admission - left
from 28th Nov. 1841.
On motion of Brother MAPES to take the same into consideration
seconded by brother George HUGHES resolved that said JAMES
OLIPHANT be admitted into membership within this church provided
that he renounce his Doctrine of the two Seeds - as promulgated
by Parkers writings etc etc Carried Uninamously -[Unanimously]
JAMES OLIPHANT said he did not entertain any faith in the
Doctrine of the two Seeds and when he mentioned it, at a
previous meeting, it was without thought which Doctrine as
promulgated ? by Parker, he renounce - Question by brother
Hogins to said JAMES OLIPHANT Do you believe the Devil is a Self
existing being? Answer No. I know not his particular nature.
The right hand of fellowship was given to brother JAMES OLIPHANT
by all the brethren and sisters present and his immersion
postponed until next meeting in course - next month
Collection made for support of church and to provide supplies
for Communion etc & etc.- Received $5.621/2."

http://files.usgwarchives.net/la/tangipahoa/c...
family

Lewisburg, TN

#13 Jul 9, 2013
Skep,
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Speed_...

A picture of my grandfather about 47 years of age.
He has 36 pages in the 1611AD King James Bible.
Hugh Broughton (1549-4 Aug 1612) was a Hebrew Scholar who worked with my grandfather on the genealogy in the Bible. I just learned of that man, tonight. I would love to know his descendants, today.

The Bible has to be read and if anyone can't understand what they are reading, try another translation.
the truth

Columbia, TN

#14 Jul 10, 2013
family wrote:
Corporation by Laws of Sharon Church
1st Be it resolved by Sharon Church, that if any person or
persons, are found guilty of buying selling or using any
intoxicating liquors on any day of Public Worship, shall be
fined Fifty Dollars.
Art 2nd That if any person or persons shall raise riots,
quarrels, use profane Language, or be guilty of any kind of
disorderly Conduct such as drawing weapons or fireing Pistols or
guns on any day of public worship Shall be fined not less than
Twenty five dollars, nor more than Fifty
Art 3rd Be it further resolved, That if any person or persons,
shall be found guilty of Horse swapping, or trading within the
Corporation limits on any day of publich worship, Shall be fined
in Sum of Ten dollars.
Art 4th Be it further resolved, That if any person or persons,
are found guilty of running a Horse, card playing, or gambling,
in any way or proposing the same to others within the
Corporation limits on any day of public Worship, Shall be fined
Fifty Dollars.
Art 5th Be it further resolved, That if any person shall be
found guilty of setting up writings upon the Church House or
near the same on an indecent or vulgar nature, Shall be fined
Ten dollars
Art 6th Be it further resolved, That if any person or persons,
shall be found guilty of braking the doors or windows of the
Church House, or removing Seats or planks, or doing injury to
the same Shall be fined, Ten dollars, and be liable to damages
to the extent of injury done.
Art 7th Be it further resolved, That if Any person, is found
guilty of throwing timber or other Obstructions in the Church
House yard or any of the roads leading to the same inside the
Corporation lines Shall be fined Five dollars.
Art 8th Be it further resolved That if any person or persons,
who shall be drunk, or behave disorderly, or disturb the peace
of the Church, or Congregation in any manner, not designated in
the above articles shall be fined Ten dollars
Art 9th Be it further resolved, That any person, who may bring
or retain a Stallion within the Corporation lines, on any day of
public Worship, and shall refuse to move him after being
notified, shall pay a fine of Ten Dollars
Art 10th Be it further resolved, That any person or persons,
who shall wantonly tear down the by laws of this church, upon
due Conviction thereof, shall pay a fine of Ten dollars.
Art 11th Be if further resolved, That it shall be the duty of
the Trustees of Sharon Church, to enforce any of the above laws
when necessary, and to prosecute all offences before any Court
of Competent jurisdiction, and pay over fines collected by them,
to the Treasurer, for the use of said church
Whereas we deam it all important that Order Should be kept in
the House of the Lord therefore we the BAPTIST CHURCH OF CHRIST
AT SHARON Adopt the Rules following
Such meddling in the lives of others is the very reason that interest in the church is at an all time low. Nobody wants to deal with a bunch of busy bodies telling them when they can have a drink or play cards. The churches can look in the mirror if they want to see who is responsible for driving people away. Personally, I have a strong relationship with God. Yet, I haven't stepped foot in a church in 10 years.
Skeptic of you

Lewisburg, TN

#15 Jul 10, 2013
the truth wrote:
<quoted text>
Such meddling in the lives of others is the very reason that interest in the church is at an all time low. Nobody wants to deal with a bunch of busy bodies telling them when they can have a drink or play cards. The churches can look in the mirror if they want to see who is responsible for driving people away. Personally, I have a strong relationship with God. Yet, I haven't stepped foot in a church in 10 years.
I am the same way.
Skeptic of you

Lewisburg, TN

#16 Jul 10, 2013
family wrote:
Skep,
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Speed_...
A picture of my grandfather about 47 years of age.
He has 36 pages in the 1611AD King James Bible.
Hugh Broughton (1549-4 Aug 1612) was a Hebrew Scholar who worked with my grandfather on the genealogy in the Bible. I just learned of that man, tonight. I would love to know his descendants, today.
The Bible has to be read and if anyone can't understand what they are reading, try another translation.
This information is TOTALLY meaningless to me. It has nothing to do with Christianity. Your grandfather had NOTHING to do with the Word of God. Genealogy is nothing but about dead people. Let the dead bury the dead; they are of no concern to me. You are just a bragger.

The bible DOES NOT have to be read to know God. It is good for understanding, but not to know or receive His grace. Spreading the Gospel throughout the world does not mean bibles. The bible is not the Gospel, the Gospel is the Gospel, period.
family

Lewisburg, TN

#17 Jul 10, 2013
Psalms 102:16-18...16When the LORD shall build up Zion, he shall appear in his glory. 17He will regard the prayer of the destitute, and not despise their prayer. 18This shall be written for the generation to come: and the people which shall be created shall praise the LORD.

We are reading from (as you called them) dead people!
family

Lewisburg, TN

#18 Jul 10, 2013
John 1:1-5
1In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.2He was in the beginning with God.3All things came into being through Him, and apart from Him nothing came into being that has come into being.4In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men.5The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it.

1 John 2:1 My dear children, I write this to you so that you will not sin. But if anybody does sin, we have an advocate with the Father--Jesus Christ, the Righteous One.
family

Lewisburg, TN

#19 Jul 10, 2013
If people HATE GOD. They can mislead their off-spring into HATING GOD. My ancestors that may or may not have HATED GOD, I know nothing about but I do know most of the THIRD and FOURTH GENERATIONS in my life time. What parent wants the worst for their child? You will give your all and perhaps your life to protect them. A ungodly parent will train up their children to be ungodly . Chances are great that they will carry on a generational HATRED TOWARDS GOD, until they begin to use the sound minds that GOD GAVE THEM, then they will be fed by the BIBLE. People do hunger for the WORD. The WRITTEN WORD. Satan has attacked those who got the WORD out. God Bless .
Skeptic of you

Lewisburg, TN

#20 Jul 10, 2013
family wrote:
Psalms 102:16-18...16When the LORD shall build up Zion, he shall appear in his glory. 17He will regard the prayer of the destitute, and not despise their prayer. 18This shall be written for the generation to come: and the people which shall be created shall praise the LORD.
We are reading from (as you called them) dead people!
Once again, you have twisted what I said. Those words are from the OT, which is used for understanding, and prophecy. The nonsense you posted about your dead relative cannot even compare. At all! Your dead ancestor had NOTHING to do with God's Word. If anything, he added worthless pictures to a book WITHOUT the permission of the one who made the book so, GOD. Not some stupid dead king. And if anything that dead king has been accused of changing God's Word and adding what he wanted! I would not want to be in his shoes come judgement time. The ONLY reason you even mention it is because of your alleged relations to the dead guy. It does NOTHING for building up the Word, it only has to do with building up YOUR bragging rights. Big frecken deal. How dare you push God to the side and your dead relative up front. Why? What purpose does it serve other than your bragging?
Skeptic of you

Lewisburg, TN

#21 Jul 10, 2013
family wrote:
John 1:1-5
1In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.2He was in the beginning with God.3All things came into being through Him, and apart from Him nothing came into being that has come into being.4In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men.5The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it.
1 John 2:1 My dear children, I write this to you so that you will not sin. But if anybody does sin, we have an advocate with the Father--Jesus Christ, the Righteous One.
Oh goody, you can cut and paste. We've seen your skills before. But yet it again has no purpose and therefore off topic. Again.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lewisburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
TN Should state mandate immunizations? New require... (May '11) 2 hr TheRealZeke 9,447
Stay away from Lewisburg (Jan '06) 3 hr team owner 13,162
Is Nichirin closing the doors?? 3 hr Earl 4
Luna Vapor 7 hr nonsmoker 2
First TN Bank takeover BoAs 18 hr Time for a real c... 4
Lead soil coming to Lewisburg landfill Thu Dave 2
Is Topix of Lewisburg a good place to get hones... Thu no surprise 4
•••
•••
Lewisburg Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••