Historical Holly Grove School in Marshall Co TN

Posted in the Lewisburg Forum

Comments
1 - 20 of 31 Comments Last updated Jul 10, 2013
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
CITIZEN

Lewisburg, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Jun 20, 2013
 
Was Holly Grove a Community before Marshall County was formed? If yes, what County was it in? Where was the Holly Grove School exactly location? Any pictures of the school online? Was Holly Grove a Community during times of Slavery? Where did the settlers come from? What area in Marshall County is set side for Slave Descendants and what area is set aside for the Native Americans? If none is set aside, I would like for that to be considered by our citizens of today.
Hello

Lawrenceburg, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Jun 20, 2013
 
You have a computer. Try researching it. If Holly Grove was anything before Marshall county (before 1836) it would have been part of Bedford county. Marshall is made up of mostly Bedford, Giles and Lincoln counties. Cornersville was at the 'corner' of the counties before Marshall county existed.

You can look here:
http://www.linkpendium.com/genealogy/USA/TN/M...

Try researching "Tennessee civil war maps". Don't be so lazy.
:D
Hello

Lawrenceburg, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Jun 20, 2013
 
Holly Grove was not listed as a community in 1895.

http://www.livgenmi.com/1895/TN/
Macropods

Nashville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Jun 20, 2013
 
Hello wrote:
Holly Grove was not listed as a community in 1895.
http://www.livgenmi.com/1895/TN/
Yes, this person has a computer ,but just maybe someone might know something about Hollly Grove. Some interesting story, you never know, until you take a chance a post sometime here.
CITIZEN

Lewisburg, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Jun 20, 2013
 
I have researched and found nothing, really.
CITIZEN

Lewisburg, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Jun 20, 2013
 
http://geonames.usgs.gov/pls/gnispublic/f...

Maybe a Belfast Map needs to be researched?
Hello

Lawrenceburg, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Jun 20, 2013
 
CITIZEN wrote:
http://geonames.usgs.gov/pls/g nispublic/f?p=gnispq:3:4261472 403048264::NO::P3_FID:1316543
Maybe a Belfast Map needs to be researched?
Belfast was here back then as part of District 16 of Bedford County before 1836.
James Polk

Lewisburg, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Jun 20, 2013
 
CITIZEN wrote:
Was Holly Grove a Community before Marshall County was formed? If yes, what County was it in? Where was the Holly Grove School exactly location? Any pictures of the school online? Was Holly Grove a Community during times of Slavery? Where did the settlers come from? What area in Marshall County is set side for Slave Descendants and what area is set aside for the Native Americans? If none is set aside, I would like for that to be considered by our citizens of today.
Start looking at the local library or the exhibits at the old Hardison School, be prepared, you might have to do a little work.
hoofbeat

Columbia, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Jun 20, 2013
 
I grew up on Holly Grove road. The school is still standing. I've looked it up before and there are pics on line.
CITIZEN

Lewisburg, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Jun 21, 2013
 
hoofbeat wrote:
I grew up on Holly Grove road. The school is still standing. I've looked it up before and there are pics on line.
Could you post that web site? Holly Grove Rd is where we live and the history of it would be nice. Where exactly is the school? I know there is a white building that looks like a church but I don't believe I have seen a cross. Could that be it?
I will keep looking and try to get over to the museum. Thanks.
CITIZEN

Lewisburg, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Jun 21, 2013
 
http://tennessee.hometownlocator.com/maps/big...

I found a map that points to where Holly Grove School is and it does go with my memory of seeing an old wood building near a sharp curve.

How big of a area was the Holly Grove Community?
hoofbeat

Wessington Springs, SD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Jun 22, 2013
 
CITIZEN wrote:
<quoted text>Could you post that web site? Holly Grove Rd is where we live and the history of it would be nice. Where exactly is the school? I know there is a white building that looks like a church but I don't believe I have seen a cross. Could that be it?
I will keep looking and try to get over to the museum. Thanks.
Yep, that is the school. There is also an old cemetery at the end of the lane that runs beside it. If I ever get a day off I'll see if I can locate that pic online again.
hoofbeat

Wessington Springs, SD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Jun 22, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

CITIZEN wrote:
http://tennessee.hometownlocat or.com/maps/bigmap,n,holly%20g rove%20school%20%28historical% 29,fid,1316543.cfm

I found a map that points to where Holly Grove School is and it does go with my memory of seeing an old wood building near a sharp curve.

How big of a area was the Holly Grove Community?
http://www.tngenweb.org/marshall/photos/galle...
CITIZEN

Lewisburg, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Jun 22, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

hoofbeat wrote:
Thank you so much. They are adorable to see.
holly grove

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Jul 1, 2013
 

Judged:

1

My dad grew up in that area and I think there is an old slave cemetery right around the school somewhere. I remember him talking about it years ago. Some of my family use to own the land it sits on, I'll ask and see if they still do and try to pin point the location of that cemetery.
CITIZEN

Lewisburg, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Jul 2, 2013
 
That is interesting.
hoofbeat

Columbia, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Jul 2, 2013
 

Judged:

1

holly grove wrote:
My dad grew up in that area and I think there is an old slave cemetery right around the school somewhere. I remember him talking about it years ago. Some of my family use to own the land it sits on, I'll ask and see if they still do and try to pin point the location of that cemetery.
There is an old cemetery behind the school but there is also one in front of the house my son owned on Holly Grove Rd. near the old log home. I believe it could be a slave cemetery.
CITIZEN

Lewisburg, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Jul 2, 2013
 
Are the Slaves names known or on records for perhaps descendants living around here, today? What a picture that would make for History. Thanks.
hoofbeat

Columbia, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Jul 5, 2013
 
CITIZEN wrote:
Are the Slaves names known or on records for perhaps descendants living around here, today? What a picture that would make for History. Thanks.
There are names and dates on some of the markers. Most died at a very young age. I can't remember the last names though.
CITIZEN

Lewisburg, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#21
Jul 5, 2013
 
I wonder it the Historical Society in this area has pictures and a list for the public to see online. I like Genealogy and have braked for cemeteries but no transportation to do those wonderful outings again.
Thanks for the information.
Where I live, it used to be a barn. I had found a horseshoe and showed my neighbor and she said it used to be a barn on your place. Her Aunt used to own her house and Willed it to her brother but she wanted it so much, and bought it from him. Her Aunt owned a boarding house of which she helped her for years and longed for her rock house with the hedges. She enjoyed her rock house, hedges, and doing a lot of outdoor work in her yard. You may have known her.
Martha Belle Clay Woodward Sadler
September 16, 1914 - May 21, 2005

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

8 Users are viewing the Lewisburg Forum right now

Search the Lewisburg Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
TN Should state mandate immunizations? New require... (May '11) 11 hr Zeke 8,982
Miss Marshall County 2014 12 hr danger zone 27
Angie Richter 13 hr home town 4
running for office 16 hr outback 28
Businesses closing 17 hr just wonderin 1
Wonder why 20 hr resident 6
Taxi???? 20 hr u dumb as a box of rocks 20
•••
•••
•••
•••

Lewisburg Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Lewisburg People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Lewisburg News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Lewisburg
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••