almost poor

Lewisburg, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2013

My question is and mainly because obama is supposely helping out the poor. Why are the poor, poor? I understand real handicap and I say lets take of them.

Is it education? Drive? making themselves unemployable? Why are poor, poor?
almost poor

Lewisburg, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2013

Judged:

almost poor wrote:
My question is and mainly because obama is supposely helping out the poor. Why are the poor, poor? I understand real handicap and I say lets take of them.
Id take care of the handicap....real ones, though.
I am almost poor but fighting hard so I am not. Too many others just dont try.
Hmmmm

Lawrenceburg, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2013

Judged:

We have always and will forever have poor people. It is a relative word that denotes someone who has less than another. People are poor for a myriad of reasons and not always by their own fault. How do you distinguish those who are there by happenstance from those who chose to be there? My guess is only a minority of them WANT to be poor. Most feel they have no choice and have lost faith or hope in their situation. And being handicap has little to do with it as there are many handicap who are very well off if not rich.

So what are we to do? Give them hope and build on their faith. Will that eradicate the poor? No. You can only help those who decide to help themselves. So you offer programs to help them do that.
Wake Up America

Columbia, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2013

Hmmmm wrote:
We have always and will forever have poor people. It is a relative word that denotes someone who has less than another. People are poor for a myriad of reasons and not always by their own fault. How do you distinguish those who are there by happenstance from those who chose to be there? My guess is only a minority of them WANT to be poor. Most feel they have no choice and have lost faith or hope in their situation. And being handicap has little to do with it as there are many handicap who are very well off if not rich.
So what are we to do? Give them hope and build on their faith. Will that eradicate the poor? No. You can only help those who decide to help themselves. So you offer programs to help them do that.
Programs and more programs don't help, the poor those who are poor can't afford to go to those programs!
What helps the poor is food stamps, and welfare! Give them more for the cost of living is going up!
Stop helping the rich, and those who don't need the help like greenbelt, buy outs for early retirement and they don't retire!
Stop bailing out the postal service, expanding wars, building more weapons, down size government on all levels, stop spending on all those programs but give the poor disable, welfare more, and on Social Security more!

Hmmmm

Lawrenceburg, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2013

Wake Up America wrote:
<quoted text>
Programs and more programs don't help, the poor those who are poor can't afford to go to those programs!
What helps the poor is food stamps, and welfare! Give them more for the cost of living is going up!
Stop helping the rich, and those who don't need the help like greenbelt, buy outs for early retirement and they don't retire!
Stop bailing out the postal service, expanding wars, building more weapons, down size government on all levels, stop spending on all those programs but give the poor disable, welfare more, and on Social Security more!
Some programs help some and other programs help others. There is no one fix for all. The help I refer to is not food and money, it is programs such as education. Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, teach a man to fish and he eats for a lifetime. Big government is not going to just walk away from the global problems we have. If you stop fighting the spiders outside, they will soon overrun your house. It is not a matter to just stop military spending, but smarter spending.

Again, why do we have so much poor all the sudden? Because they don't have jobs. Where are all the jobs? They're in other countries like China. Why? Because we allow our corporations to take those jobs there so they can make more profit. Want more jobs? Stop the outsourcing and keep the jobs here. Maybe they are just waiting for us to agree to work in unsafe conditions for pennies a day.
Because The rich Rule

Columbia, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2013

Judged:

Hmmmm wrote:
<quoted text>
Some programs help some and other programs help others. There is no one fix for all. The help I refer to is not food and money, it is programs such as education. Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, teach a man to fish and he eats for a lifetime. Big government is not going to just walk away from the global problems we have. If you stop fighting the spiders outside, they will soon overrun your house. It is not a matter to just stop military spending, but smarter spending.
Again, why do we have so much poor all the sudden? Because they don't have jobs. Where are all the jobs? They're in other countries like China. Why? Because we allow our corporations to take those jobs there so they can make more profit. Want more jobs? Stop the outsourcing and keep the jobs here. Maybe they are just waiting for us to agree to work in unsafe conditions for pennies a day.
Luke 12
Care and Anxiety
22-31
Bunch of Educated Idiots

Columbia, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2013

Hmmmm wrote:
<quoted text>
How long ago did private companies educate their own workers?
Sense when is the taxpayers seems now expected to educate any private company workers, other than an high school education every one should have?

What breaking America well is it trying too provide for those who can provide for themselves?

Hmmmm

Lawrenceburg, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2013

Judged:

Bunch of Educated Idiots wrote:
<quoted text>
How long ago did private companies educate their own workers?
Sense when is the taxpayers seems now expected to educate any private company workers, other than an high school education every one should have?
What breaking America well is it trying too provide for those who can provide for themselves?
This is confusing... What tax payer is educating private company workers? Any private worker that was trained, was trained by someone who was paid to do that by the company. The education I speak of is minimal training many did not get in high school. But which do you want? Poor people who cannot get a job because they don't have the skills? Or pay for some minimal training that will at least get them into the work force and off of the welfare rolls? Or is it you just like to hear yourself bitch and complain?

If you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem and I don't hear you offering up any solutions at all.
who are you

Lawrenceburg, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2013

Because The rich Rule wrote:
<quoted text>
Luke 12
Care and Anxiety
22-31
This quote is great if you follow Jesus. What about everyone else?
It will Come Judgment Day

Columbia, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2013

Judged:

who are you wrote:
<quoted text>
This quote is great if you follow Jesus. What about everyone else?
Matthew 25

Judgment of the Nations
31-46
who are you

Lawrenceburg, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2013

Judged:

It will Come Judgment Day wrote:
<quoted text>
Matthew 25
Judgment of the Nations
31-46
You missed my point. Jesus talks about taking care of the poor. You don't. You talk about trampling them. Your quote for knowing how God will take care of them falls flat on those who don't believe as does this example as well. All you are doing is acting like a bully using the name of God in the process. I am sure God appreciates you chasing non-believers away with your self-righteous attitude.
God Knows

Columbia, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2013

who are you wrote:
<quoted text>
You missed my point. Jesus talks about taking care of the poor. You don't. You talk about trampling them. Your quote for knowing how God will take care of them falls flat on those who don't believe as does this example as well. All you are doing is acting like a bully using the name of God in the process. I am sure God appreciates you chasing non-believers away with your self-righteous attitude.
If I could have miss your point? Then could you have missed my point? Could we agree to disagree, without attacking each other?
Name calling?

I am sure God Knows what you are I was / am thinking so shall we agree again be friends or at least civil?
who are you

Lawrenceburg, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2013

Yes, anything is possible. This discussion is about the poor and why we have so many today. Why post Christian scriptures? If we were all Christians that would be fine, but not all are. It is easier to attract bees with honey than vinegar by which I mean you when you post your scriptures it is not helping them. They don't want to hear about judgement (vinegar) because it means nothing to them. There is a right place and time for everything. I have nothing against you.
The Old Man

Columbia, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

Judged:

I've been around a long time and from what I've seen, the poor are poor mostly because of choices! They make choices in their lifestyles that lead to poverty, such as drinking and drug usage. Both a choice! Having more children than their budget can afford, and we all know that raising a child is not cheap! Again a choice! How many times have you been in line at the grocery store behind some 400 pound person paying for their 2 carts of food with food stamps? They've become so obese that they are unable to work due to ailment that go along with such weight. In some cases it's grandular, but in most cases it's a choice to eat their trouble away and not get up and exercise. Like I said, a choice. They drop out of school to run away and get married and can't get a job paying over minimum wage without an education. Again a choice!In a few cases, sickness takes it toll, those I truly feel sorry for. My ex-wife used to work for the government in one of their giveaway programs. I've seen first hand the abuses that go along with such programs. The best reason that I've ever had to get up off my butt and go to work, was an empty belly. You give me a free burger and most likely, I'll just sit on my butt watching TV waiting on the next freebie. Jobs are the best way to end poverty, not entitlement programs!
who are you

Lawrenceburg, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

The Old Man wrote:
I've been around a long time and from what I've seen, the poor are poor mostly because of choices! They make choices in their lifestyles that lead to poverty, such as drinking and drug usage. Both a choice! Having more children than their budget can afford, and we all know that raising a child is not cheap! Again a choice! How many times have you been in line at the grocery store behind some 400 pound person paying for their 2 carts of food with food stamps? They've become so obese that they are unable to work due to ailment that go along with such weight. In some cases it's grandular, but in most cases it's a choice to eat their trouble away and not get up and exercise. Like I said, a choice. They drop out of school to run away and get married and can't get a job paying over minimum wage without an education. Again a choice!In a few cases, sickness takes it toll, those I truly feel sorry for. My ex-wife used to work for the government in one of their giveaway programs. I've seen first hand the abuses that go along with such programs. The best reason that I've ever had to get up off my butt and go to work, was an empty belly. You give me a free burger and most likely, I'll just sit on my butt watching TV waiting on the next freebie. Jobs are the best way to end poverty, not entitlement programs!
Your brush is wide. Everything is a choice, but not every choice is a reason. Sometimes there is no good choice in the offering. There are many instances where it is not just a matter of making bad choices. Some people are victims of the environment they grow up in. Victims of abuse, victims of the times, poor education, lack of common sense... the list goes on and on. It is those who don't have these problems and choose to live a life of poverty you speak of. There are not as many of those as you would like us to believe. If you look at the human population as a whole, you will find we are all victims of our up bringing. There are as many personality combinations as there are infinite numbers and some combinations just won't work. We have always been this way and always will be. For anyone to expect better than 80% to be in find working order is overestimating. There is no one fix fits all. Somethings and people are too broken to fix. So you have your choices, take care of the ones that can't be fixed or kill them off. Who makes those choices? You? Thank God not.
Proud Hard Worker

Lewisburg, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

The Old Man wrote:
I agree 100%. I consider myself to be level headed and a kind person, but with that said: Another problem is making yourself unemployable by destroying your body with tattoos, piercings and those enlarged ear loops holes. Most people who collect welfare and food stamps believe they are doing the right thing because it only makes sense not to work and collect the same. I know of folks who sell food bought with food stamps and buy smokes and turning them in does nothing.
I believe if you smoke or drink you should not receive food stamps. I believe if you don't work and are capable of working you should not vote. That would eliminate those who actually vote for a living. As for past abuse, bad upbringing, I believe most if they try, they can overcome but most use it as an excuse or crutch. I did not have the greatest upbringing but in time observed others and knew what the norm was and followed it.
The word entitlements is wrong. Those who are capable of working and do not work should be ashamed of themselves and be ridiculed to a degree, not put on a pedestal for others to support and feel bad for.
I grew up with 2nds and hand-me-downs and did not think we deserved anything better. We accepted it. Life is what you put into it. I do not blame my Father or Mother, they were doing their best but at the same time, they did not ask for anything from the government, did not live out of their means and knew why others who had more, had it.
I would work 2-3 jobs if my family needed it. If I was in a bad situation, I would already know what put me in the situation. It would be past decisions I made, lack of trying, overlooking the importance of education or not doing what is best for my body and soul. Before I blame others I look at myself. An empty belly should motivate and bring the best out of people.

I have overcame a lot of obstacles myself and continue every day, why can't they? What stops me from giving up and coming up with a bunch of excuses, work on disability and make myself unemployable???? It is something they called personal pride.
who are you

Lawrenceburg, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

Proud Hard Worker wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree 100%. I consider myself to be level headed and a kind person, but with that said: Another problem is making yourself unemployable by destroying your body with tattoos, piercings and those enlarged ear loops holes. Most people who collect welfare and food stamps believe they are doing the right thing because it only makes sense not to work and collect the same. I know of folks who sell food bought with food stamps and buy smokes and turning them in does nothing.
I believe if you smoke or drink you should not receive food stamps. I believe if you don't work and are capable of working you should not vote. That would eliminate those who actually vote for a living. As for past abuse, bad upbringing, I believe most if they try, they can overcome but most use it as an excuse or crutch. I did not have the greatest upbringing but in time observed others and knew what the norm was and followed it.
The word entitlements is wrong. Those who are capable of working and do not work should be ashamed of themselves and be ridiculed to a degree, not put on a pedestal for others to support and feel bad for.
I grew up with 2nds and hand-me-downs and did not think we deserved anything better. We accepted it. Life is what you put into it. I do not blame my Father or Mother, they were doing their best but at the same time, they did not ask for anything from the government, did not live out of their means and knew why others who had more, had it.
I would work 2-3 jobs if my family needed it. If I was in a bad situation, I would already know what put me in the situation. It would be past decisions I made, lack of trying, overlooking the importance of education or not doing what is best for my body and soul. Before I blame others I look at myself. An empty belly should motivate and bring the best out of people.
I have overcame a lot of obstacles myself and continue every day, why can't they? What stops me from giving up and coming up with a bunch of excuses, work on disability and make myself unemployable???? It is something they called personal pride.
Just from what you wrote, I would put you into the category of someone who is capable of self sustaining yourself. Bravo. Not everyone is like you or me. I also can hear a lot of judgement on your part without looking at the individual. Each person is not the same, and therefore you cannot just apply your thinking across the board as if they were. Instead of insisting everyone meet you criteria, why not advocate some changes to the system. I am an advocate of putting those on the welfare rolls to work. Find them a job and transportation to the job and stay with them until they are also self sustaining. It is not just a matter of telling them go find a job or get off welfare. I take it you've never been on welfare, would I be correct?

Another option could be advocating that the government employ others to do the shopping instead of giving the recipient a debit card. That way, you can make sure they are buying the right food. Of course you might have to watch them to make sure they don't trade the food for things like drugs, money, or cigs. Of course this idea probably is not practical. So you see, it is not as easy as just complaining about the situation, it is more about getting active and providing solutions. What have you done to be proactive about this problem?
No Common Sense

Columbia, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

Judged:

almost poor wrote:
Why are the poor, poor? Is it because the educated idiots with little too know "common sense" are the ones elected and appointed to public office?

Is it those who think they Know it all, that stop listening to or limits the people's complains?
Did one of the forefathers of this country say "No one with power should be trusted"? James Madison

Is that why public officials are elected, public boards are appointed to check, double check public officials and managment of public departments?
So it don't take 6-7 years of overcharging Electric Company street lights, so called mistakes for the city or the people to get at least some of their money back?
What public board member or public official even asked if the other customers had been overcharged also?

who are you

Lawrenceburg, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

Judged:

No Common Sense wrote:
<quoted text>
Why are the poor, poor? Is it because the educated idiots with little too know "common sense" are the ones elected and appointed to public office?
Is it those who think they Know it all, that stop listening to or limits the people's complains?
Did one of the forefathers of this country say "No one with power should be trusted"? James Madison
Is that why public officials are elected, public boards are appointed to check, double check public officials and managment of public departments?
So it don't take 6-7 years of overcharging Electric Company street lights, so called mistakes for the city or the people to get at least some of their money back?
What public board member or public official even asked if the other customers had been overcharged also?
You are pathetic Bob. "almost poor" asked a legitimate question and you are going to yammer on with your same stupid political agenda repeating the same things you do on other topics. It is off topic as you can get and annoying.

You should be ashamed of yourself. Here the person is looking for answers and all you give him are the wrong questions. Put your dunce hat on and go stand in the corner! I think I am going to start calling you "Off Topic Bob". Remember our discussion of acting foolish?
Little Sympathy

Chapel Hill, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

who are you wrote:
<quoted text>
So you have your choices, take care of the ones that can't be fixed or kill them off. Who makes those choices? You? Thank God not.
We at least should be able to remove the children they produce from that environment so that the cycle is not repeated. Instead we just pay them to keep producing more children and perpetuating the cycle.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of42
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

29 Users are viewing the Lewisburg Forum right now

Search the Lewisburg Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Teacher messing with Student 2 min Dont add up 14
director of schools (Jan '12) 34 min Innocent 363
TN Pay-to-Spray Firefighters Watch as Home Burns (Oct '10) 2 hr sally 58,245
TN Should state mandate immunizations? New require... (May '11) 2 hr sally 8,462
TN Tennessee Hunting Rights Amendment (Oct '10) 9 hr bob 8,504
Ugly Yards 15 hr MaeLovesBen 17
Who is the best divorce lawyer in Marshall County (Apr '11) 18 hr Just ask around 23
•••
•••
•••
•••

Lewisburg Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Lewisburg People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Personal Finance