Remove Sports from Schools

Posted in the Lewisburg Forum

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
School Not Sports

Murfreesboro, TN

#1 Aug 14, 2011
We should remove any and all funding to public school's sports.

1.) Sports are a distraction from real education.

2.) Removing all sports funding will save billions of dollars. Money that would be better spent on updating our education system.

3.) There are plenty of leagues outside of the school system. If parents want to put their kid into a sport they can foot the bill individually. And to save time here is the counter argument to: "What about poor people?" They can figure it out for themselves its not everyone's job to insure your kid can kick a ball or tackle someone.

4.) The country has lagged behind in the academic field because to many parents think their child will either be a sports star or a Hollywood star. Some people should spend more time reading and less time watching TV and sports.

5.) while I'm at it keep up with your kids and block all reality shows from your kids. The country has enough morons we don't need anymore.
I Agree

Columbia, TN

#2 Aug 14, 2011
Absolutely remove all sports programs from all public schools, look at those savings of taxpayer money, transportation, coaches, assistant coaches, buildings, upkeep, heating, cooling, electric, mowing, medical costs, across the United States Billions of taxpayer’s dollars could be saved!

Do Away with Sports

Columbia, TN

#3 Aug 14, 2011
What is the most costly building, and most costly ground?

Are those Gym and football fields!

What are those really needed when it comes to any child's education?

Does a teacher or Coach cost the education system the most money?

Should any child be over loaded with lessons, pratice,and late night travel ball games, as sports to get any education?

Tell me taxpayer money could be saved even property taxes lowered, if they would only do away with school sports!
uhhuh

United States

#4 Aug 14, 2011
Yeah right that'll happen.bahahahahahahaha! You soo funnny!
unknown

Columbia, TN

#5 Aug 14, 2011
this is the most insane unjustified crap i have read on here. i bet none of you played sports, probably couldnt make the team huh?
coach

United States

#6 Aug 14, 2011
Apparently you guys should have played sports in school so that you would be educated enough to know how stupid and moronic that argument is. The majority of the educated elite in this country also participated in some sort of sport. That's a fact. The lowest achieving students at MCHS are the ones that aren't involved in sports or any other extracurricular activity. If you refute that, I challenge you to come to school and check out test scores and GPAs. Find something else to whine about, you'll never win this argument because you're WRONG!!!!!
HAHA

United States

#7 Aug 14, 2011
I agree with coach......
played

Columbia, TN

#8 Aug 15, 2011
the only reason there grades are better is because the coaches "teach" classes and all the other teachers "curve" grades for the players. i know i played!
Tax Sports Ticket Sales

Columbia, TN

#9 Aug 15, 2011
coach wrote:
Apparently you guys should have played sports in school so that you would be educated enough to know how stupid and moronic that argument is. The majority of the educated elite in this country also participated in some sort of sport. That's a fact. The lowest achieving students at MCHS are the ones that aren't involved in sports or any other extracurricular activity. If you refute that, I challenge you to come to school and check out test scores and GPAs. Find something else to whine about, you'll never win this argument because you're WRONG!!!!!
Speaking of test scores how many teachers lie, cheat, cover up and pad test scores to get more federal funding for public schools? Look at Atlanta public school system where the Federal investigation was done?

How many teachers and coaches pad the scores, favor those who play sports?

How many teachers and coaches go the extra to support those who play sports other than those who are at school for an education only?

How many people have lost their jobs, homes, and cannot pay their bills, feed their families all the while America school's priorities favor sports and sports programs at the costs to the taxpayers?

Sports is not needed in any school system to get an education and should never be part of any public education taxpayer costs program!

Wonder how many starving people think about playing sports or feeding their families?
Get real America dump all taxpayer funded sports programs! Let those who want sports fund their own sports!

Collect sales tax off all Sports ticket sales and take sales tax off food sales!
coach

United States

#10 Aug 15, 2011
Tax Sports Ticket Sales wrote:
<quoted text>Speaking of test scores how many teachers lie, cheat, cover up and pad test scores to get more federal funding for public schools? Look at Atlanta public school system where the Federal investigation was done?

How many teachers and coaches pad the scores, favor those who play sports?

How many teachers and coaches go the extra to support those who play sports other than those who are at school for an education only?

How many people have lost their jobs, homes, and cannot pay their bills, feed their families all the while America school's priorities favor sports and sports programs at the costs to the taxpayers?

Sports is not needed in any school system to get an education and should never be part of any public education taxpayer costs program!

Wonder how many starving people think about playing sports or feeding their families?
Get real America dump all taxpayer funded sports programs! Let those who want sports fund their own sports!

Collect sales tax off all Sports ticket sales and take sales tax off food sales!
You keep talking about school funded sports programs when in reality very little sports funding comes from the school. As for football, I'd say 90% of funding comes from the booster club and fundraising, not the school, so get your facts straight. As for grades, I welcome anyone to come check out the coaches in class. I have never "padded" an athletes grade and never would. As disappointing as it may be to you, most coaches are teachers first and actually care about education. Screw you for assuming otherwise!!! Quit being ignorant and quit making generalizations based on one school system's issues!!!!
Tax Sports Ticket Sales

Columbia, TN

#11 Aug 15, 2011
coach wrote:
<quoted text>
You keep talking about school funded sports programs when in reality very little sports funding comes from the school. As for football, I'd say 90% of funding comes from the booster club and fundraising, not the school, so get your facts straight. As for grades, I welcome anyone to come check out the coaches in class. I have never "padded" an athletes grade and never would. As disappointing as it may be to you, most coaches are teachers first and actually care about education. Screw you for assuming otherwise!!! Quit being ignorant and quit making generalizations based on one school system's issues!!!!
look for yourself who funds those Sports Fields and programs.
http://www.marshalltribune.com/story/1628902....
How much does those field lights and retainer walls cost the taxpayers?
By the way where do the ticket sales, parking, and concession money go back into the County Taxpayer General fund or some coaches, principle or school superintendent’s pockets?
How about the cover up scandal was it 1992 that the county schools venting machines money or supplies mess occurred, was that a couch, teacher, principle or who involved?
Truth Not Fiction

Murfreesboro, TN

#13 Aug 15, 2011
Tax Sports Ticket Sales wrote:
<quoted text>
look for yourself who funds those Sports Fields and programs.
http://www.marshalltribune.com/story/1628902....
How much does those field lights and retainer walls cost the taxpayers?
By the way where do the ticket sales, parking, and concession money go back into the County Taxpayer General fund or some coaches, principle or school superintendent’s pockets?
How about the cover up scandal was it 1992 that the county schools venting machines money or supplies mess occurred, was that a couch, teacher, principle or who involved?
Very Good point, Thank You.
Price tag: over $115,000.00 (This only benefits sports)
flyboy

Lewisburg, TN

#14 Aug 15, 2011
coach wrote:
<quoted text>
Screw you?????? What is up with that? What type of classless person is teaching our children?
Someone who is not so deplomatic? Does the principal say screw you to parents?
Sounds like you have some anger management issues........
BTW, I don't mind sports, it brings disipline, health and leadership into play and some use it as a ticket, but in most cases they are "helped" by others through "extra credit" projects. You may not pad, but can you argue that?
Tax Sports Tickets

Columbia, TN

#15 Aug 15, 2011
What types of class person are teaching our children? Just look what types now hold local public office? Teachers, coaches, some even retired principles, look how they act at public meetings, toward themselves and the public was that the same way they acted to our children while they were hired in our public schools?

Are they all a bunch of hot heads, with threats, poor business managers, who scream, yell, shout, then pout, and scull like maniacs on a power trips with mental problems?

No wonder the local schools have major problems look what has been running those schools.

Look at the some Superintendents, so called coaches, teachers some came into public office with years ago reported problems of sex scandals, corruption, delay and cover up what would make any think those would changed?

School Sports cost more than any other unnecessary programs in Public Schools!

Don't people think School Coaches cost the taxpayers more than any teachers.
old school

Roanoke, VA

#16 Aug 15, 2011
Back in your day, you didn't have to take ACT tests. You can't "pad" those. Do the unemployed people in this town sit around and try to change everything? Seems your abilities are not going to good use.

Get off your ass and get a job and a life and leave the young people alone. There is nothing else in this dead end, one horse town for them to do. Some of us were born here and hung here, hoping our children find an escape.

If you don't like the way things are done (and have always been done) get the ---- out. No one is looking for your underachiever on any sports field.
coach

United States

#17 Aug 15, 2011
flyboy wrote:
<quoted text>Screw you?????? What is up with that? What type of classless person is teaching our children?
Someone who is not so deplomatic? Does the principal say screw you to parents?
Sounds like you have some anger management issues........
BTW, I don't mind sports, it brings disipline, health and leadership into play and some use it as a ticket, but in most cases they are "helped" by others through "extra credit" projects. You may not pad, but can you argue that?
If I had anger issues then I would have used a different word. Just sick of people constantly bringing down sports/coaches/teachers when they know nothing o what goes on. If someone thinks it's a waste then that's their prerogative, however I feel not enough money is put into sports and extracurriculars. If people saw things from my perspective then they'd realize it's far from a waste. The Nazi comparison is laughable by the way. A very moronic point.
Rio Joe

United States

#18 Aug 15, 2011
News Flash...not a single person that posts here on any topic will ever solve ANY problem. I stopped by here a couple of years ago and read through these things and laughed at one major point. The people that love to post on this forum are hiding behind fake names. I see were some people have challenged some of you for putting names on here. Some of them are brave enough to put their real names out their so you that have a problem with them can go to THEM, not cower behind a computer screen.I doubt anyone has EVER taken the challenge. This is my second post ever and fully expect negativity,spell checkers, grammatical gustapos and someone to point out that I am off topic for the thread, but you folks seem to need something constructive to do. There are always 2 sides to every story and the TRUTH lies somewhere in between. You complain about subjects and take sides just like politicians. I haven't seen a lot of open minds here. That is what it takes to solve problems. Also, 100 percent of the time, 100 percent of the people will not agree......so argue until you turn blue. There isn't anything wrong with disagreeing, the problem comes from thinking you are the only one that is right.
hey

United States

#19 Aug 15, 2011
school is for stupid people
Is Sports an Addiction

Columbia, TN

#20 Aug 15, 2011
Is Sports symular to drugs, there are drug addicts and sports fanatics are both addicted to an addiction and do both seem to have to have their fix.

Don't both addictions cost the taxpayers and is either needed.

Rio Joe

Novato, CA

#21 Aug 15, 2011
Wow, nobody jumped on the there, their, they're bait I dangled.....lol....good job!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lewisburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
public defender 15 hr teens 1
Public Defenders Race (Jul '14) 16 hr bad girls 103
Schools need to be closed Feb 15 burgerhead 7
OMAR Steakhouse (Nov '14) Feb 10 TheRealDeal 88
meth bust (May '14) Feb 10 Jomomma 6
Mexicans aren't Spanish! (Oct '13) Feb 10 ReallyBruhhh 82
Mike smith Feb 8 JustaGuy 4

Lewisburg Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance