Who do you support for Governor in Tennessee in 2010?

Posted in the Lewisburg Forum

Comments (Page 3,428)

Showing posts 68,541 - 68,560 of140,562
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Hey

Cookeville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2013

The Original Amused wrote:
<quoted text>
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch...
Is this it?
Yes that was the show.Thanks big time.
Overtaxed

Thorn Hill, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2013

Pete wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi OT. I agree with a lot of this, but there are some points that I don't. Like I told Dunlapian, I don't think anyone is looking at increasing taxes on the less well off. Also, I haven't seen where anyone is looking at cutting SS. The COLA calculations have changed a bit, but I haven't seen where there are going to be actual cuts. Also, right now, our federal debt exceeds our GDP. Also, we are at a point right now where taxing everyone and everything 100% won't eliminate our federal debt. Also, our tax revenues are made up of 45% individuals income taxes, 45% payroll taxes, approximately 8% corporate taxes and the rest in real estate and other taxes. If we get too heavy on the corporate tax side, the payroll tax and the individual income tax numbers will start receding heavily. We don't want to drive away or cripple job creators and the entities that make up our GDP. It is a fine line I realize.
I just don't think focusing on taxing the large corporations and super-wealthy will fix our current problem. There has to be some cuts in spending or we will continue down this road. Thanks for your thoughts!
Good post "Pete", and I want to discuss further.
You say that taxing everyone and everything 100% will not eliminate the debt. I guess that is true, BUT that assumes a single bite of the apple and the whole apple is gone, and that is not the case. Uncle Sam got a bite of my apple last week when I paid the remainder that I owed, and he will get another bite next year, and the year after, provided I continue to work and earn. The same goes for all taxpayers including those more wealthy than myself. Nobody I know is proposing confiscating the already accumulated wealth of the 1%. What I am advocating is slowing the accumulation of wealth in 1%(or 20%) of the population IF that accumulation harms the 80%. IF the rising tide of wealth were lifting all boats....we wouldn't be having this conversation, because every American would be sharing in part of the economic prosperity that seems now reserved for a comparitive few.
The second thing I wanted to talk about was the "job creator" thing. I read (and made myself a copy of) your formula for hiring hands...and I have been studying it because I think I can really learn something from it. I haven't used any formula, instead I have learned that the time to hire more help is when you can't provide the goods (or services) you sell to your customers in a timely manner, on an average day, in an average week. No matter the process, that happens because the trade increases for whatever reason. Therefore, I contend that while you and I both employ people, it is increased business from our customers which "creates" jobs, not the businesses themselves. In other words it is average Americans with money to spend who are the job creators. You may think I am splitting hairs, but I think this is one of the reasons why we may view some issues differently.
Hey

Cookeville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2013

The Original Amused wrote:
<quoted text>
That being said, although you profess to being an atheist, you're still probably more moral than the conservative "Christians" that post on this thread.
I believe there is a life force (a spirit of life)that flows through and interconnects all living creatures.
So evolution to me means this life force evolves and unfolds expressing all that it is through all of life.
Life is sacred.
I am ok with this.
Overtaxed

Thorn Hill, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2013

Hey wrote:
<quoted text>
?
Hey, you helped me a long time ago with trying to get a site up and I couldn't get it to do it.
Can you figure out why this MSNBC "Rat of The Week" with the Bayer story will not come up.
Thanks.
Topix is got issues this morning or it could be my mistake I can't catch.
Topix has issues most days...I have to go back over most posts and replace the missing letters, and on certain days...there are MANY ! This morning I couldn't get anyone's links to come up....then again, it could be this computer, or my internet provider.
Tired

Dandridge, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2013

Overtaxed wrote:
<quoted text> Topix has issues most days...I have to go back over most posts and replace the missing letters, and on certain days...there are MANY ! This morning I couldn't get anyone's links to come up....then again, it could be this computer, or my internet provider.
I thought it might be me too. I also couldn't get Hey/OA's video to come up.
Dunlapian

Dunlap, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2013

Hey wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe there is a life force (a spirit of life)that flows through and interconnects all living creatures.
So evolution to me means this life force evolves and unfolds expressing all that it is through all of life.
Life is sacred.
I am ok with this.
Hey, just follow those feelings, you will know if they are good or not. If what you do feels right and moral.......I believe you have made a connection with God, and it's a good feeling.

Since: Feb 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2013

Pete wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi OT. I agree with a lot of this, but there are some points that I don't. Like I told Dunlapian, I don't think anyone is looking at increasing taxes on the less well off. Also, I haven't seen where anyone is looking at cutting SS. The COLA calculations have changed a bit, but I haven't seen where there are going to be actual cuts. Also, right now, our federal debt exceeds our GDP. Also, we are at a point right now where taxing everyone and everything 100% won't eliminate our federal debt. Also, our tax revenues are made up of 45% individuals income taxes, 45% payroll taxes, approximately 8% corporate taxes and the rest in real estate and other taxes. If we get too heavy on the corporate tax side, the payroll tax and the individual income tax numbers will start receding heavily. We don't want to drive away or cripple job creators and the entities that make up our GDP. It is a fine line I realize.
I just don't think focusing on taxing the large corporations and super-wealthy will fix our current problem. There has to be some cuts in spending or we will continue down this road. Thanks for your thoughts!
Pete, I've posted this before. Several years ago, "60 Minutes" did a Report about Big Corporations not paying any taxes, at all.
At that time, they went to another Country...I don't remember which one...and showed exactly how they did it
They merely set up an Office with a phone that didn't work, and a desk, and put a sign on the door. Nobody worked in this Office, either.
Then, they told the U.S. that they had moved their HDQTS., to this Foreign County and they were paying their Taxes to that Country, and they told that Country, that they had their HDQTS. in the U.S. and they were paying their Taxes to the U.S. In actuality, they weren't paying Taxes to either Country.
Now, the U.S. either knew it and looked the other way, or...they could have easily found out if they had wanted to. "60 Minutes" had no problem at all finding out and even showed the inside of the Bogus Foreign "Home" Office. Leslie Staule(sp?) did the Report.

This "Tax-Dodging" by Big Global Corporations has been going on since the Reagan Administration and "Trickle Down" Economics was implemented and it needs to STOP! Thirty years of it, is ENOUGH! And it's what's just about broken this Nation! They've made huge Profits and haven't supported this Country that enabled them to make them. It's time they started paying their way and even doing that, they will never pay back what they really owe, for all these years of "special" TAX treatment! IT HAS TO STOP!
Pete

Jonesborough, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2013

SexySassySenior wrote:
<quoted text>
Pete, I've posted this before. Several years ago, "60 Minutes" did a Report about Big Corporations not paying any taxes, at all.
At that time, they went to another Country...I don't remember which one...and showed exactly how they did it
They merely set up an Office with a phone that didn't work, and a desk, and put a sign on the door. Nobody worked in this Office, either.
Then, they told the U.S. that they had moved their HDQTS., to this Foreign County and they were paying their Taxes to that Country, and they told that Country, that they had their HDQTS. in the U.S. and they were paying their Taxes to the U.S. In actuality, they weren't paying Taxes to either Country.
Now, the U.S. either knew it and looked the other way, or...they could have easily found out if they had wanted to. "60 Minutes" had no problem at all finding out and even showed the inside of the Bogus Foreign "Home" Office. Leslie Staule(sp?) did the Report.
This "Tax-Dodging" by Big Global Corporations has been going on since the Reagan Administration and "Trickle Down" Economics was implemented and it needs to STOP! Thirty years of it, is ENOUGH! And it's what's just about broken this Nation! They've made huge Profits and haven't supported this Country that enabled them to make them. It's time they started paying their way and even doing that, they will never pay back what they really owe, for all these years of "special" TAX treatment! IT HAS TO STOP!
Hi Sassy. Hope you had a good Sunday. I watched the Masters Golf Tournament most of the day and was disappointed an American didn't win, but it was fun to watch.

I don't disagree with what you are saying. I am sure there are some corporations doing this. But most of the taxes we get from corporations comes from payroll taxes, not taxes on profits. The last time I checked, payroll taxes amounted to approximately 45% of all tax revenues while corporate taxes amounted to only 8%. I can see how you can avoid corporate taxes, but I don't think there is any way to avoid payroll taxes unless you pay your employees in cash. That would be mighty risky business these days though.
Pete

Jonesborough, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2013

Overtaxed wrote:
<quoted text> Good post "Pete", and I want to discuss further.
You say that taxing everyone and everything 100% will not eliminate the debt. I guess that is true, BUT that assumes a single bite of the apple and the whole apple is gone, and that is not the case. Uncle Sam got a bite of my apple last week when I paid the remainder that I owed, and he will get another bite next year, and the year after, provided I continue to work and earn. The same goes for all taxpayers including those more wealthy than myself. Nobody I know is proposing confiscating the already accumulated wealth of the 1%. What I am advocating is slowing the accumulation of wealth in 1%(or 20%) of the population IF that accumulation harms the 80%. IF the rising tide of wealth were lifting all boats....we wouldn't be having this conversation, because every American would be sharing in part of the economic prosperity that seems now reserved for a comparitive few.
The second thing I wanted to talk about was the "job creator" thing. I read (and made myself a copy of) your formula for hiring hands...and I have been studying it because I think I can really learn something from it. I haven't used any formula, instead I have learned that the time to hire more help is when you can't provide the goods (or services) you sell to your customers in a timely manner, on an average day, in an average week. No matter the process, that happens because the trade increases for whatever reason. Therefore, I contend that while you and I both employ people, it is increased business from our customers which "creates" jobs, not the businesses themselves. In other words it is average Americans with money to spend who are the job creators. You may think I am splitting hairs, but I think this is one of the reasons why we may view some issues differently.
Hi OT. I think we are discussing different topics. What I am referring to is paying down the federal debt. I think you are referring to how we tax. Regarding the federal debt problem and our country's lack of money, it is my premise this is a spending problem. I think you are saying it is a tax problem. I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this. Also, regarding my customers at least, they have money to spend but are simply to scared to spend it. Every business is different though. Hope you are doing well!
Pete

Jonesborough, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2013

Overtaxed wrote:
<quoted text> We had a simple misundersanding "Pete". You posted that we have the highest taxes in history. I pointed out that tax rates have been much higher in the past....but you meant tax revenue, not rates, a simple misunderstanding right ? Revenue is rising and none too soon in my opinion. It takes revenue to operate government, and in times of recession government costs increase. More of our fellow citizens become qualified for Unemployment compensation, food stamps, WIC, housing subsidies, welfare etc, and the costs of providing all other government services remain in place. That includes the cost of a war that is still going on, half a world away. It being tax time I looked at business expenses for utilities, fuel, insurance etc. and compared them to 10 years ago... Would it surprise you to know that my expenses almost doubled in 10 years ? I doubt you are surprised since you are a businessman as well. Is it too much of a stretch to believe that the cost to government for the services that it provides cost more as well ? To meet those increased costs requires additioal tax revenues, or additional borrowings....just to stay EVEN and that is before those additional recessionary costs are even calculated.
Now, we can get down to the class warfare argument. When the wealth held by 1% of the population goes from 19% to 49% in 35 years, is it class warfare to deduce that that 1% have done exceptionally well ? When that group holds nearly as much wealth as the other 99% combined is it class warfare to ask government to look to them first for additional taxes ? Is it class warfare to say that the average American who got a TOTAL 4% raise in 35 years shouldn't have to bear the burden of paying down a debt they did not benefit from creating ? If that is the definition of class warfare....if it is, then I will wear the label proudly.
Sorry OT, I didn't see this post. Actually, my costs haven't increased that much over the past 5 years or so. Wages have increased, fuel has increased and insurance has gone up a bit, but my cost of goods sold, advertising, utilities, etc. have stayed the same or gone down. The prices I charge for goods has gone down as well to try to stimulate more business. Inflation has been very mild over the past few years.

Also, our current tax system is designed to tax income. It doesn't tax wealth. There are a lot of people who are wealthy on paper, but have no cash. This is the reason taxes focus on earnings. However, wealth is taxed via estate taxes to a degree. I explained in an earlier post how the super-wealthy can remain immune to a bad overall economy. They do this via diversification and their massive wealth and/or income allows them to diversify to a point where they can actually withstand a recession fairly well. Average investors can't do this because they cannot diversify to this extent. Normally, a bad economy will hurt everyone but those few who are super-wealthy. That is the reason for the wealth disparity in my opinion, not how they are taxed. It works on the flip side as well. Those who a totally dependent on the government are not affected by a recession either. Therefore, their wealthy does not change when the economy turns south.

Anyway, we do have some fundamental differences of opinion, but I respect your opinion and your initiative at standing for what you believe. Standing up for something is better than standing up for nothing.
Pete

Jonesborough, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2013

Hey wrote:
<quoted text>
Pete for you.
MSNBCs Joe Scarbough on Scarbough Country on that Bayer Story.I think Bayer got it pulled a few times but it's back.
http://www.youtube.com/watch...
On the site there by those other films you'll see Gallo the Merck scientist who confesses about the sv-40 they got from the cute little Green Monkey's kidneys when they made the Polio Vaccine.
I believe you and do believe this show existed. But I will never believe that 9/11 was the result of a conspiracy within our government.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2013

Judged:

Pete wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Sassy. Hope you had a good Sunday. I watched the Masters Golf Tournament most of the day and was disappointed an American didn't win, but it was fun to watch.
I don't disagree with what you are saying. I am sure there are some corporations doing this. But most of the taxes we get from corporations comes from payroll taxes, not taxes on profits. The last time I checked, payroll taxes amounted to approximately 45% of all tax revenues while corporate taxes amounted to only 8%. I can see how you can avoid corporate taxes, but I don't think there is any way to avoid payroll taxes unless you pay your employees in cash. That would be mighty risky business these days though.
For American Employees, but it's a whole different situation for the Global Companies. I was a Congressional Hearing with an Indonesian, American Global Company Employee testifying...I didn't get to see all of it...but I already knew most of what they were going to say, I thought, but I was shocked at how badly they were treated by American Bosses and how difficult it was for them to even get their meager wages. It was worse than I had read about how Black Slaves were treated in this Country centuries ago.
Pete, I want to say again...I think that you are probably a Small to Medium Business Owner. I'm not talking about Business Owners such as yourself, because you are getting "robbed" almost as badly as the Individual Taxpayer is. I'm talking about these Huge, Multi-National Corporations that have a Bevy of Tax Attorneys on Staff, just to take full advantage of all the many Tax Loopholes that only they can take advantage of, without it costing them more than they will save, by far. Of you don't make enough to hide huge amounts of money in Off-shore Tax Havens, then I'm not talking about you or Companies like yours. I just wanted to make that clear.
You are just like the rest of us, you are making up what they don't pay, in order to keep this Country afloat, while THEY rake in the Tax-free Profits, or practically Tax-free, and that is what needs to stop!
It would make it easier for you to grow your Company, which is exactly what they don't want...and it would also help this Country's Economy and pay down the Deficit, which raising the Standard of Living for the Individual Worker, while creating more Jobs for them to work at! It's a Win/Win for all concerned, except the Greedy Multi-National Corporations who have almost starved this County to death by not pulling their share of the Load , for so long!
Hey

Cookeville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2013

Pete wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe you and do believe this show existed. But I will never believe that 9/11 was the result of a conspiracy within our government.
I didn't think they did it either.Not because I didn't think they would because they have shown themselves to do things against their own people so many times in the past.So I frankly put nothing past them in my mind why would I when it's out there over and over showing this behavior.
I just thought this is really out there, like wow overwhemingly out there.Then different people were saying stuff and I'm thinking wow far out,this is wild.Then it started making some sense and their reasons looked more like 2plus2 is4 and the other stuff wasn't adding up at all.Some of the stuff out there looks off the wall but not believing they would do such a thing doesn't play into it at all for me. I don't trust them for they have show themselves to be untrustworthy.
You just can not experiment on little children as they did ,radiating them, with all the suffering these little people endured for what? This is evil.AND there is no end to these things.
I don't know how all of it went down but there is enough evidence to really start wondering.
What has happened to America since that day makes it worth looking at.Remember Bush saying they didn't like our freedoms well our government has been removing them while it appears they are even funding Al Qaeda in Syria and Libya etc.
Too many questions.
Hey

Cookeville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2013

Another question.Why is Obama buying $690 million worth of helicopters from Russia for the Afghan Air Force?
Pete

Jonesborough, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2013

Judged:

SexySassySenior wrote:
<quoted text>
For American Employees, but it's a whole different situation for the Global Companies. I was a Congressional Hearing with an Indonesian, American Global Company Employee testifying...I didn't get to see all of it...but I already knew most of what they were going to say, I thought, but I was shocked at how badly they were treated by American Bosses and how difficult it was for them to even get their meager wages. It was worse than I had read about how Black Slaves were treated in this Country centuries ago.
Pete, I want to say again...I think that you are probably a Small to Medium Business Owner. I'm not talking about Business Owners such as yourself, because you are getting "robbed" almost as badly as the Individual Taxpayer is. I'm talking about these Huge, Multi-National Corporations that have a Bevy of Tax Attorneys on Staff, just to take full advantage of all the many Tax Loopholes that only they can take advantage of, without it costing them more than they will save, by far. Of you don't make enough to hide huge amounts of money in Off-shore Tax Havens, then I'm not talking about you or Companies like yours. I just wanted to make that clear.
You are just like the rest of us, you are making up what they don't pay, in order to keep this Country afloat, while THEY rake in the Tax-free Profits, or practically Tax-free, and that is what needs to stop!
It would make it easier for you to grow your Company, which is exactly what they don't want...and it would also help this Country's Economy and pay down the Deficit, which raising the Standard of Living for the Individual Worker, while creating more Jobs for them to work at! It's a Win/Win for all concerned, except the Greedy Multi-National Corporations who have almost starved this County to death by not pulling their share of the Load , for so long!
Ok Sassy, I agree for the most part. Thank you

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2013

Judged:

Hey wrote:
Another question.Why is Obama buying $690 million worth of helicopters from Russia for the Afghan Air Force?
Hmmmmm...Ok, I give up...why is he?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2013

Judged:

Pete wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you a Golfer, Pete, or do you just enjoy watching it on TV?:)

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2013

Judged:

It'll be interesting to see if this Little Bad Boy Wannabe is smart enough to take this olive branch that we're offering. It may be the only chance he'll ever have to do the wise thing before it's too late!
----------
"As U.S. Talks Up Diplomacy, N.Korea Takes Hard Line."

Click here:
http://news.yahoo.com/us-talks-diplomacy-nkor...
Hey

Cookeville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2013

SexySassySenior wrote:
<quoted text>
Hmmmmm...Ok, I give up...why is he?
Because he can.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2013

Hey wrote:
<quoted text>
Because he can.
Sounds like a good enough reason to me!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 68,541 - 68,560 of140,562
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

17 Users are viewing the Lewisburg Forum right now

Search the Lewisburg Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Freda Terry and Joe Liggett (Mar '11) 36 min Lynnette Lynnette 66
Public Defenders Race 40 min Kristi 64
Teledyne 1 hr Lynnette Lynnette 19
Republicans screw you again 1 hr fly on the wall 7
Mayor Ligget 1 hr Change is a coming 1
Food trucks 1 hr Change is a coming 7
Joe B Ligget 3 hr Wonderwoman13 44
•••
•••