Overtaxed

Thorn Hill, TN

#63307 Jan 23, 2013
Tri Cities Inc wrote:
<quoted text>
The more you write, the more I get the feeling you are not a business owner. If you are indeed a business owner, then you do indeed help fund unemployment, medicare and social security. You are taxed for unemployment benefits based on your unemployment multiplier which is assigned to you. The tax you are liable for is called SUTA and FUTA. You fund this, not the employees. Healthcare may or may not be funded by your business, but in my business, I pay 60% of all healthcare benefits for my employees including dental and vision. Medicare and Social Security is also partly funded by you along with the employees. I simply call this payroll tax but they have their own acronym. In most businesses, employees have to earn what I am paying them in addition to the other funding I am required to pay for them. I pay my employees for their effort at helping make my company a profit. If they do a good job and perform, then they have earned their pay and get the right to keep their job. Unemployment, Medicare, Workman's Comp are all things required of me to pay the government simply for having employees. In addition to these taxes, I also pay property tax, franchise and use tax, state and federal corporate tax and excise tax. And again, this is in addition to the health, disability, life insurance, 401K matching and other benefits I provide on my own. If the government wants more taxes from me, then some of the benefits I provide on my own will decrease. Or I could simply raise prices, but in this economy, that is the kiss of death and would cost some employees their jobs.
I realize keeping good employees is the key to success and I do what I can to do just that. However, I do this in spite of the government, not because of it. Like I said earlier, some, not all, posters on this thread demonize businesses. However, when the government gets involved, it usually involves some sort of tax that either makes prices go higher or takes away benefits from employees. And the government's intervention is supposedly aimed at helping employees or those less well off. However, the end result is that their intervention actually hurts those they say they are trying to help.
I do disagree with your opinion, but I do respect you for having one. Standing up for something is a whole lot better than standing up for nothing.
I read that over twice "Tri Cities" and for the life of me I can't see where what I posted is in conflict with what you posted.
I am of the opinion that those who work for me EARN their paychecks AND the additional costs associated with employees like unemployment ins. and the employer's portion of their Social Security, and all the rest, just as they earn vacations. and I consider this part of their compensation. You posted "In most businesses employees have to earn what I am paying them in addition to the other funding I am required to pay for them." Is there something I missed or are we on the same page here ?
I could not stay in business long if employees cost me more than the profit they produce, and neither could you !
When I went into business Jimmy Carter was President and I started with a loan from a local bank at 17% interest. I was a poor kid and a banker took a chance on me. I didn't have a lot of room for mistakes, but I made a few.....I'm still here, thanks to hard work, and a good bit of luck, but I wouldn't be where I am without the skill sets of those who work and have worked for me over these many years, I know it, and I appreciate it.
The only difference of opinion that we seem to have is, I know I couldn't have done it alone....and you seem to disagree ! It wouldn't be the first time someone has disagreed with me on here or off !
I appreciate the fact that you are willing to engage in a discussion of ideas and opinions without the usual Topix tactics, and look forward to future discussions.
Honestly

Beechgrove, TN

#63308 Jan 23, 2013
Overtaxed wrote:
<quoted text> If you study politics, you know why that bdget got no Democratic votes. The Dems knew it had no chance of becoming law, and that the Republicans would beat them over the head with it in the congressional races, so leadership made a decision that no members would support it. That is politics.
I watched and I assume you did also as Republicans used the ACA savings, taken from Medicare as a campaign issue, even though the Ryan Budget which passed out of the House contained virtually the same cuts...which were NOT used for alternative healthcare. That is politics too....like either or not.
And here I thought (you project to everyone) that the dem/libs had everybody in their heart(s). No you say it was only politics. WHAT---they don't care????????? NO they only want your vote. A PAWN!!!!!!! that all the dem.libs are.
Overtaxed

Thorn Hill, TN

#63309 Jan 23, 2013
Honestly wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, well at my age I would probably call you a boy but lets give the respect where it is warranted. You dem/libs tend to slough everything off as it didn't mean anything. Reminds me of the 60's and the hippie days. They are the ones that are running the country now. Just look at our very own home grown terrorist. Bill Ayers
Yep...can't you just see John Boehner with long hair ...naked in a puddle at Woodstock ! Mitch McConnell in San Francisco for the summer of love...Eric Cantor in a tie dyed tee shirt and bell bottoms with long hair and shades ! Darn hippies....

“IMNTBHO”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#63310 Jan 23, 2013
Overtaxed wrote:
<quoted text> If you study politics, you know why that bdget got no Democratic votes. The Dems knew it had no chance of becoming law, and that the Republicans would beat them over the head with it in the congressional races, so leadership made a decision that no members would support it. That is politics.
I watched and I assume you did also as Republicans used the ACA savings, taken from Medicare as a campaign issue, even though the Ryan Budget which passed out of the House contained virtually the same cuts...which were NOT used for alternative healthcare. That is politics too....like either or not.
Thanks for admitting that Liberals place party politics above the business of the country.

You have demonstrated how they refuse to participate in anything they cannot win. The proper way for a Senator or Representative to act is to vote the way the people they represent want them to, and then to comprmise from there. By refusing this participation, they show their unwillingness to do the will of the people they represent.

A jury will often take a vote as soon as deliberations start just to see where they stand. But Senator Reid will not even allow bills, passed by the house to come to vote or discussion

It is also amazing that you Liberals get on here and preach that the President was elected and all should support him, when your own members of Congress will not do it.

However, it does not surprise that Harry and his cronies in the Senate will "take their ball and go home" if they don't think they can win. They are acting like children on a school ground, not responsible leaders.
ur crooks

Vilnius, Lithuania

#63312 Jan 23, 2013
NTMD8OR wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for admitting that Liberals place party politics above the business of the country.
You have demonstrated how they refuse to participate in anything they cannot win. The proper way for a Senator or Representative to act is to vote the way the people they represent want them to, and then to comprmise from there. By refusing this participation, they show their unwillingness to do the will of the people they represent.
A jury will often take a vote as soon as deliberations start just to see where they stand. But Senator Reid will not even allow bills, passed by the house to come to vote or discussion
It is also amazing that you Liberals get on here and preach that the President was elected and all should support him, when your own members of Congress will not do it.
However, it does not surprise that Harry and his cronies in the Senate will "take their ball and go home" if they don't think they can win. They are acting like children on a school ground, not responsible leaders.
They never vote for what the people want anymore.

“IMNTBHO”

Location hidden

#63313 Jan 23, 2013
Overtaxed wrote:
<quoted text> Yes, they are available to everyone, because they are paid fo by everyone. Thank you for making my point. BUT businesses could not exist without them, and those things would not exist without a government to collect taxpayer's money, pool it and build them.
You seem to feel like government is an enemy, but it can be a force for good, since it can do collectively what individuals can't. THAT is all I meant when I posted that list.
Businesses existed in this country long before the things you mentioned. New trails were blazed by pioneers long before the Government built highways. If anything, you have it backwards. The Government would not exist, if not for the people. It was not the Government that made this the greatest country on earth. It was the hard work and risks taken by the people that did that. Government came along after. This Country has done quite well until the Government started taking more power and chipping away at the rights of the people. If we allow this to continue, this Countrt will fall from within. It is well on it's way to that now, and you Liberals can't see it.

“IMNTBHO”

Location hidden

#63314 Jan 23, 2013
Truth Detector wrote:
<quoted text>
Then we should take away his right to vote, don't you think?
Actually, Obamacare has redefined boy and girl to 26.
Perhaps what we should do is move the voting age and drinking age to 26 as well.
It pays to be consistent.
How true. Do you really ever expect consistency from Liberals?
Overtaxed

Thorn Hill, TN

#63317 Jan 23, 2013
NTMD8OR wrote:
<quoted text>Businesses existed in this country long before the things you mentioned. New trails were blazed by pioneers long before the Government built highways. If anything, you have it backwards. The Government would not exist, if not for the people. It was not the Government that made this the greatest country on earth. It was the hard work and risks taken by the people that did that. Government came along after. This Country has done quite well until the Government started taking more power and chipping away at the rights of the people. If we allow this to continue, this Countrt will fall from within. It is well on it's way to that now, and you Liberals can't see it.
You were born 100 years too late ! You can try getting off that highway, truck driver, and blaze a trail through the wildernes with your pick, shovel, axe and a team of mules, if you wish. Don't forget to bring your rifle in case you run into some savages along the way !
Come to think of it ....Maybe I was off by 50 years, since 100 years ago, the railroads already existed and there was less of a need for trailblazing...Those railroads were facilitated by government.
I prefer to remain in the 21st century.
Your problem is you want to use all that the taxpayers provide through government, you just resent to paying for it.
Dunlapian

Dunlap, TN

#63318 Jan 23, 2013
NTMD8OR wrote:
<quoted text>Businesses existed in this country long before the things you mentioned. New trails were blazed by pioneers long before the Government built highways. If anything, you have it backwards. The Government would not exist, if not for the people. It was not the Government that made this the greatest country on earth. It was the hard work and risks taken by the people that did that. Government came along after. This Country has done quite well until the Government started taking more power and chipping away at the rights of the people. If we allow this to continue, this Countrt will fall from within. It is well on it's way to that now, and you Liberals can't see it.
Yes trails were blazed, like the Lewis and Clark expedition;1804-06.
Commissioned by President Thomas Jefferson, who requested $2500 from Congress......and guess what they said YES.(not like today)

At the same time our Navy and Marines were fightning in Tripoli.

My point is even now that we are fightning in Afganistan(but the end is in sight), we as Americans can still "Blaze new Trails" over here like highways, and highways will help business. Just like it did back in 1804, with the Governments help. We just need Congress to say YES.

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

#63319 Jan 23, 2013
Honestly wrote:
<quoted text>
You probably don't know what that word "dictator" means. I'd suggest you look it up and keep it close cause that is what we got coming our way, a dictator-ship.
I've heard it somewhere before...

http://www.buzzflash.com/analysis/2002/10/29_...

Location hidden

#63320 Jan 23, 2013
NTMD8OR wrote:
<quoted text>
Hilarious that a conservative actually typed these words.

Location hidden

#63321 Jan 23, 2013
NTMD8OR wrote:
It's disconcerting that conservatives continue to fail to realize and accept that government is comprised of "we, the people."

Corporations are people, but the government is not. Defies logic.
Nuh

South Pittsburg, TN

#63325 Jan 23, 2013
Enlarge Photo
**FILE** Senate Intelligence Committee Chair Sen. Dianne Feinstein, California Democrat, is surrounded ... more >

Recent Entries
MILLER: National ‘assault weapon’ ban coming Thursday
MILLER: Tax dollars for gun control
VIDEO: Emily Miller on Fox News
MILLER: Obama is coming for your guns
MILLER: New York’s radical gun-control law

Sen. Dianne Feinstein’s (D-CA)office confirmed that she will be introducing in the Senate Thursday a new version of the so-called assault weapon ban. A spokesman said the full text will be released at a press conference on Thursday.

I have three guns:

• A soldering gun
• A glue gun
• A Caulking gun.

The first two are compliant, but the caulking gun has a grip and something that could be confused for a 20 pt adjustable butt stock. It is therefor on the ban list. I'm going to burry it behind my barn. I'll be dammed if I give it up.

"From my cold, sticky hands"
Nuh

South Pittsburg, TN

#63326 Jan 23, 2013
Dunlapian

Dunlap, TN

#63327 Jan 23, 2013
The Original Amused wrote:
<quoted text>
I've heard it somewhere before...
http://www.buzzflash.com/analysis/2002/10/29_...
Well I'm glad we don't have or had a Dictator.....opps, I said that before you reminded me of G.W.
But back than it was really Darth Vader (AKA Cheney), who was really calling the shots.
Truth Detector

Jamestown, TN

#63328 Jan 23, 2013
Hillary demonstrated today that it was a good idea not electing her president.

Now she gets trained by the House. Maybe they'll be more gentle than the Senate.
Nuh

South Pittsburg, TN

#63329 Jan 23, 2013
NY Democrat pleads with Republican not to share document proposing confiscation of guns

A New York Assemblyman has pleaded with his Republican colleague not to release a list of Democrat proposals on gun control that seek to undermine the 2nd Amendment.

The State of New York this week passed some of the strictest gun control laws in the United States, effectively outlawing 'assault weapons' and limiting the size of magazines. However, the New York State Democrats would have gone further if they could have. Much, much further.

The Democrat proposal was not simply to make the purchasing of the crudely monikered 'assault weapons' illegal in New York, but also to engage in a mass confiscation program, removing Americans' weapons from their possession.

The full list of proposals can be read below:

1. Confiscation of "assault weapons"
2. Confiscation of ten round clips
3. Statewide database for ALL Guns
4. Continue to allow pistol permit holder's information to be replaced to the public
5. Label semiautomatic shotguns with more than 5 rounds or pistol grips as "assault weapons”
6. Limit the number of rounds in a magazine to 5 and confiscation and forfeiture of banned magazines
7. Limit possession to no more than two (2) magazines
8. Limit purchase of guns to one gun per person per month
9. Require re-licensing of all pistol permit owners
10. Require renewal of all pistol permits every five years
11. State issued pistol permits
12. Micro-stamping of all guns in New York State
13. Require licensing of all gun ammo dealers
14. Mandatory locking of guns at home
15. Fee for licensing, registering weapons

http://www.thecommentator.com/article/2495/ny...
Nuh

South Pittsburg, TN

#63330 Jan 23, 2013
The Labor Department publishes 2012 data showing that during President Obama's first term the unionization rate-the percentage of American workers belonging to unions-declined faster than during two terms of President George W. Bush.

The total unionization rate declined from 11.8 percent of wage and salary workers in 2011 to 11.3 percent in 2012. Private-sector unionization fell from 6.9 percent to 6.6 percent, and the government unionization rate dropped from 37 percent to 35.9 percent. The total Obama-era decline is 1.1 percentage points, compared with 1.1 percentage points during the eight Bush years.
Although Obama has championed union causes, his tax and regulatory policies have systematically discouraged business investment and job creation in America for all workers-union and nonunion.
U.S. corporate tax rates remain the highest in the industrialized world. Inefficient regulations add to production costs and make employees into liabilities.
Obama vetoed the Keystone XL pipeline from Canada to the Gulf of Mexico, which would have provided thousands of unionized construction jobs. Instead, Canada is planning to ship the oil it produces in its western provinces to China. Too bad for American members of the Laborers' International Union of North America. More jobs for Canadians.
Obama's EPA regulations have resulted in the closure of more than 100 coal-fired power plants over the past two years, with more scheduled. That's too bad for the United Mine Workers of America and for the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers.
In 2009, Chrysler and GM were given government bailouts, disenfranchising existing creditors and transferring assets to the United Auto Workers. Despite the bailout, if your price can be beat, you can't compete. On Jan. 15, Chrysler announced that it would be expanding Jeep production in Guangzhou, China, rather than in Toledo, Ohio. Too bad for the United Auto Workers.
Under Obama's Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, firms with more than 49 workers face a $2,000-per-worker tax if they don't offer the right kind of health insurance. That's fewer full-time jobs, but more part-time jobs, because there's no tax on part-time employees.
President Obama did everything he could in his first term to help unions. His stimulus package was directed at public-sector unionized workers. His executive order on project labor agreements required large construction projects to hire unionized workers.
Obama supported the misnamed Employee Free Choice Act, which would have taken away workers' right to a secret ballot in elections for union representation and would have imposed mandatory binding arbitration on employers and workers who could not agree on a contract.
He "recess-appointed" three members of the National Labor Relations Board when the Senate was not even in recess. One member, Richard Griffin, has been accused in a lawsuit of using threats and extortion to cover up an embezzlement scandal when he served as general counsel for Local 501 of the International Union of Operating Engineers.
Labor Secretary Hilda Solis, the daughter of union activists, rolled back union financial transparency rules put in place by Bush Labor Secretary Elaine L. Chao-rules designed to show union members what their union was doing with their dues.
But Obama's efforts to help unions have not stemmed the tide, and union membership continues to accelerate its decline.
Right-to-work states, where workers do not have to pay dues to a union as a condition of working, have created more jobs than forced unionization states. Over the past 25 years, the 22 right-to-work states (not including new right-to-work states Indiana and Michigan) created 1.5 times as many jobs as the forced unionization states.
The lesson is that whether you like unions or not, anti-business policies drive jobs offshore. That's why union membership has fared worse under Obama than under Bush.
Diana Furchtgott-Roth

Location hidden

#63331 Jan 23, 2013
It would be as possible to confiscate gun magazines as it would be to confiscate Cosmo magazines. This is just silly. It amazes me that people are foolish enough to offer it any credence whatsoever.
Dunlapian

Dunlap, TN

#63332 Jan 23, 2013
Is this another form of your satire since you put a link to it like post#63135
Nuh wrote:
NY Democrat pleads with Republican not to share document proposing confiscation of guns
A New York Assemblyman has pleaded with his Republican colleague not to release a list of Democrat proposals on gun control that seek to undermine the 2nd Amendment.
The State of New York this week passed some of the strictest gun control laws in the United States, effectively outlawing 'assault weapons' and limiting the size of magazines. However, the New York State Democrats would have gone further if they could have. Much, much further.
The Democrat proposal was not simply to make the purchasing of the crudely monikered 'assault weapons' illegal in New York, but also to engage in a mass confiscation program, removing Americans' weapons from their possession.
The full list of proposals can be read below:
1. Confiscation of "assault weapons"
2. Confiscation of ten round clips
3. Statewide database for ALL Guns
4. Continue to allow pistol permit holder's information to be replaced to the public
5. Label semiautomatic shotguns with more than 5 rounds or pistol grips as "assault weapons”
6. Limit the number of rounds in a magazine to 5 and confiscation and forfeiture of banned magazines
7. Limit possession to no more than two (2) magazines
8. Limit purchase of guns to one gun per person per month
9. Require re-licensing of all pistol permit owners
10. Require renewal of all pistol permits every five years
11. State issued pistol permits
12. Micro-stamping of all guns in New York State
13. Require licensing of all gun ammo dealers
14. Mandatory locking of guns at home
15. Fee for licensing, registering weapons
http://www.thecommentator.com/article/2495/ny...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lewisburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
forced to resigned city manager 1 hr doggie style 1
OMAR Steakhouse 14 hr FYI 39
Joyful Christmas 14 hr Grandmother 1
Who is she??????????????? 16 hr brandi 14
For Rent In Marshall County (Oct '07) 18 hr jrj 101
Is reindeer meat good to eat? Wed Website Operator 3
DEA at bowling alley Wed Website Operator 5
Lewisburg Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web