show me the money

Lewisburg, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 28, 2013

Marshall County Commissioners have again voted by a 12-3-3 margin to borrow 19+ million dollars on the credit of the property owners of Marshall County to approve the building program for the board of education. Would not have building wings on the existing buildings not served the same purpose at a much lower cost than building an entire new building and having to staff that new building from now own. Where and how is the County Commission planning on getting the money to pay for this? Taxes? Property tax increases? Wheel tax? Also the last time I was in chapel Hill I think I remember seeing two full gyms in that city. One is only about 10 to 15 years old. Building a new gym for chapel Hill? Money thrown down the drain that could have been spent more wisely at a much reduced rate but remember these are the same commissioners that voted to spent 1+ million on the new entrance to the court house. Tax and spend, tax and spend. When will it all end and where in the world is the Marshall County Tea Party that you heard about a few years ago.
concerned

Lewisburg, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 28, 2013

Judged:

show me the money wrote:
Marshall County Commissioners have again voted by a 12-3-3 margin to borrow 19+ million dollars on the credit of the property owners of Marshall County to approve the building program for the board of education. Would not have building wings on the existing buildings not served the same purpose at a much lower cost than building an entire new building and having to staff that new building from now own. Where and how is the County Commission planning on getting the money to pay for this? Taxes? Property tax increases? Wheel tax? Also the last time I was in chapel Hill I think I remember seeing two full gyms in that city. One is only about 10 to 15 years old. Building a new gym for chapel Hill? Money thrown down the drain that could have been spent more wisely at a much reduced rate but remember these are the same commissioners that voted to spent 1+ million on the new entrance to the court house. Tax and spend, tax and spend. When will it all end and where in the world is the Marshall County Tea Party that you heard about a few years ago.
This is disturbing news! Fixed income with health conditions are not jut in our home. Property Taxes even helped, are still high for us. Anymore increase is going to force us to sell out. We don't have transportation to pay wheel taxes, anymore. We know the Board of Education needs a new building. County Public Transportation on weekends would benefit many like us.
think about it

Lewisburg, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 28, 2013

Judged:

concerned wrote:
<quoted text>
This is disturbing news! Fixed income with health conditions are not jut in our home. Property Taxes even helped, are still high for us. Anymore increase is going to force us to sell out. We don't have transportation to pay wheel taxes, anymore. We know the Board of Education needs a new building. County Public Transportation on weekends would benefit many like us.
Hey, it's okay, I am sure you have children who are taking care of you. If you can pay for county public transportation, you can help pay your kids gas to haul you around instead. If you don't have children, then I understand your plea.
Lburg resident

Columbia, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 1, 2013

Judged:

I can see you do not know what you are talking about. Taxes will not be raised. And as far as the courthouse goes that's state mandated. The commission had no choice. Please attend meetings before commenting on something you know nothing about.
bull

Matthews, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 2, 2013

Judged:

Lburg resident wrote:
I can see you do not know what you are talking about. Taxes will not be raised. And as far as the courthouse goes that's state mandated. The commission had no choice. Please attend meetings before commenting on something you know nothing about.
yes that is what they say today but it will be a year before it is actually budgetted. as far as the entrance, they could have made it on the south side but chose the west side and went all out with no expense left out. Remember the 25 dollar wheel tax for 20 YEARS. Now 50 dollats for life. Marshall county is now the 2ND HIGHEST TAXED COUNTY IN THE STATE. How do you think we got to that point. you are either a board of ed. or county commission person. hope all you get voted out of office.
is it true

Lewisburg, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 2, 2013

Was told last week when all the information came out about the money for the schools that 40% of all revenue that is taken in on property tax here in Marshall County goes directly for debt service. That is 4 out of every 10 dollars collected goes for things we already own money towards. This is not good and no wonder our county taxes are so high. Where has all the money gone over the years to bring our debt service to so high a level? What does the state comptroller(?)or treasurer have to say about this? Is there a point in debt service where the state will step in and take us over? Have heard it is at 45% of total revenue? Anyone know?
Let the People Vote

Columbia, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 2, 2013

Judged:

is it true wrote:
Was told last week when all the information came out about the money for the schools that 40% of all revenue that is taken in on property tax here in Marshall County goes directly for debt service. That is 4 out of every 10 dollars collected goes for things we already own money towards. This is not good and no wonder our county taxes are so high. Where has all the money gone over the years to bring our debt service to so high a level? What does the state comptroller(?)or treasurer have to say about this? Is there a point in debt service where the state will step in and take us over? Have heard it is at 45% of total revenue? Anyone know?
Looks like the people would demand a public vote of the people before any borrowed money or public debt increase could be incurred.
When has there been a public vote to borrow more or fund the building of more schools allowed by the public instead of a few on the county commission?
Why should a few on the County Commission decided for all to indebt us all without allowing us all to vote instead of just those few?
Are some afraid the people would say enough is enough more debt and bigger school gyms / school building would not pass?

How many on the County Commission or working for the County may soon sell out if they can, move with the rest who have gone before to so called Little Marshall County in Rogersville Ala and pay no property taxes after age 65 living in Ala., yet get those Marshall County retirement checks sent there?
what

Lawrenceburg, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 3, 2013

Judged:

The county always wants to raise taxes.....They have a bad spending problem....The city has not raised taxes in years....we are already tax poor....The people that do not have a problem with taxes being raised...probably are renters and have no taxes to pay....but they are killing us home owners....I understand why no business wants to move here...The commissioners get a good check every month....500.00 dollars plus...They can save a few of those checks during the year and pay the taxes from being on the county commission and use them to pay their taxes.....then thank the residents for paying their taxes each year....nothing really out of their pockets...
Lburg resident

Columbia, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 3, 2013

Judged:

what wrote:
The county always wants to raise taxes.....They have a bad spending problem....The city has not raised taxes in years....we are already tax poor....The people that do not have a problem with taxes being raised...probably are renters and have no taxes to pay....but they are killing us home owners....I understand why no business wants to move here...The commissioners get a good check every month....500.00 dollars plus...They can save a few of those checks during the year and pay the taxes from being on the county commission and use them to pay their taxes.....then thank the residents for paying their taxes each year....nothing really out of their pockets...
again you people don't know what u are talking about. Commissioners make less than 300 a month..
ppp board

Lewisburg, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 3, 2013

Judged:

Lburg resident wrote:
<quoted text>again you people don't know what u are talking about. Commissioners make less than 300 a month..
If you knew anything about politics and the inner workings, it is not about the measly 300 dollar paycheck.
what

Lawrenceburg, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 3, 2013

Judged:

Lburg resident wrote:
<quoted text>again you people don't know what u are talking about. Commissioners make less than 300 a month..
again....you must not know what you are talking about.....and yes...they probably hold a few of the checks back to pay thier taxes...with the money the taxpayers pay them for being on the commission...so actually they do not care about raising taxes...because we are paying theirs for them....THANK YOU...you must be a renter and have no taxes to pay....so you are not out NO added expense....
is it true

Lewisburg, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 4, 2013

Lburg resident wrote:
No sir you are wrong, about 5 years ago the county voted to double their pay from $150.00 to $300.00 a month. The excuse was that some commissioners were having to attend so many meeting that they were not getting paid for that they decided to increase their own pay. Sounds a little like Congress doesn't it!! One other thing, back in the late 1970's the people of Marshall County voted for a $25 dollar wheel tax that was only to last 20 years. What a joke and lie. Do you remember several years ago when the wheel tax was increased to $50.00 with no payoff date. DID THE PEOPLE OF M.C. VOTE FOR THAT INCREASE!!! Hell NO, the commission was given authority by the state to do it without a referendum! How many commissioners voted to increase the wheel tax that later was re-elected. Almost all. People of Marshall County has done this to themselves and only have themselves to blame. Maybe in the future we will see and learn from our mistakes. Happy 4th of July and God bless America again.
Vote Them in For Life

Columbia, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 4, 2013

Don't let the public vote on any tax increases or debt increases, just let those on the county commission do that!

They know what is best for property owners and they know what is best for them!

There should never be a public vote on anything, what does the public need to know, if those elected to public office know it all?

Don't worry be happy just pay what they say, work and shut up!
president jefferson

Lewisburg, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 4, 2013

Vote Them in For Life wrote:
Don't let the public vote on any tax increases or debt increases, just let those on the county commission do that!
They know what is best for property owners and they know what is best for them!
There should never be a public vote on anything, what does the public need to know, if those elected to public office know it all?
Don't worry be happy just pay what they say, work and shut up!
After being elected president in 1800, Jefferson was once asked about rebellions and taxes. His reply was that a little rebellion every once in a while was good for he soul and if we didn't question Congress then we would be "dumb as sheep being lead to the slaughter." What do you think the purpose of a "referendum" is supposed to be used for "the will of the people in dealing with special laws and taxes." It is a part of the U.S. and state constitutions!
Trust Them They Know

Columbia, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 4, 2013

president jefferson wrote:
<quoted text>
After being elected president in 1800, Jefferson was once asked about rebellions and taxes. His reply was that a little rebellion every once in a while was good for he soul and if we didn't question Congress then we would be "dumb as sheep being lead to the slaughter." What do you think the purpose of a "referendum" is supposed to be used for "the will of the people in dealing with special laws and taxes." It is a part of the U.S. and state constitutions!
But I grew up with some of these guys, knew some in school and have talked to some of thems ex wives ! They are really smart and know exactly what all the people of Marshall County need!
You have to just trust their judgment when it comes to voting to raise taxes, borrowing and spending millions of your tax money, they know, just ask some of their ex wives!
You Have No Vote

Columbia, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 4, 2013

president jefferson wrote:
<quoted text>
Jefferson and his Constitution got nothing to do with Marshall County that is all past history! Marshall County Commission’s agenda that tramps the Constitution of the United States and the Bill of Rights, any rights you might think you have!

Looks to me they can vote borrow, spend and tax the way they please and get by with it! It seem to me their agenda and vote is the Constitution, when it comes to Marshall County‘s Commission’s actions!
Best thing people who think the way you do,“that people living in Marshall County have the right to a vote on anything other than their election” is just shut up and pay what ever they say!
dirty under that rug

Chapel Hill, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 4, 2013

Trust Them They Know wrote:
<quoted text>
But I grew up with some of these guys, knew some in school and have talked to some of thems ex wives ! They are really smart and know exactly what all the people of Marshall County need!
You have to just trust their judgment when it comes to voting to raise taxes, borrowing and spending millions of your tax money, they know, just ask some of their ex wives!
.....and if the rumor is true you probably can ask their boyfriend too.
Allow No Public Votes

Columbia, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 4, 2013

Judged:

Schools not welfare wrote:
Spending on schools and not on welfare sounds like a great plan to me
Lets spend more on the Marshall County Court House, schools, raise the county debt too over a hundred million dollars, raise property taxes too the highest in the state, have the highest wheel tax stickers! Then maybe everyone left living in Marshall County can get on welfare, food stamps, and Tenn. Care!

Don't hold no public hearings or allow any public votes on none of that. Just let those good old boy County Commission members vote for us all!
Get ready to pay

Columbia, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 4, 2013

The ring leader forced this one through. He has a big spending problem of our money. He knows who he is. Bad decision and we will all pay for the mistake.
what

Lawrenceburg, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 4, 2013

Get ready to pay wrote:
The ring leader forced this one through. He has a big spending problem of our money. He knows who he is. Bad decision and we will all pay for the mistake.
this year they do not give a whhel tax sticker...because it saves the county 2 thousand dollars....what a joke.....
And to think that some people do not have a problem with it....That is bad....like I said....must be renters....they have No taxes to pay....
hell in a hand basket....

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••

Lewisburg Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Lewisburg People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Lewisburg News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Lewisburg