How safe are shooting ranges?

How safe are shooting ranges?

There are 7 comments on the WHP-TV Harrisburg story from Jul 28, 2010, titled How safe are shooting ranges?. In it, WHP-TV Harrisburg reports that:

After Todd Getgen was shot and killed on state game lands, CBS 21 found out that some shooting ranges don't have a manager or person on duty to oversee what's happening there.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WHP-TV Harrisburg.

fooman

Los Angeles, CA

#1 Jul 28, 2010
The ranges I go to are always safe... at least until the cops show up. They shoot the walls, floor, target holders... basically everything but the targets. I usually pack up and leave. For guys that some people think should be the only ones authorized to carry a weapon, they sure are dangerous.
Jay

Portsmouth, VA

#2 Jul 28, 2010
I have seen more stupidity and unsafe handling at indoor ranges. Another reason why I do not shoot there anymore, unless I am introducing a novice shooter.
Missoura

United States

#3 Jul 28, 2010
Shooting at paper sucks. I prefer cantalopes, watermelons, monitors, tvs, and maniquin heads on stakes. I remember the police would roll up and pick a spot down from me and start shooting too. Now a days they run me off occasionally. I try to get out there early so I can get atleast a few hours in before the police show up and tell me that it is not an established range, and it is not legal to shoot there. I say look at all the shells and brass everywhere, seems established to me.
Jay

Frederick, MD

#4 Jul 28, 2010
Missoura wrote:
Shooting at paper sucks. I prefer cantalopes, watermelons, monitors, tvs, and maniquin heads on stakes. I remember the police would roll up and pick a spot down from me and start shooting too. Now a days they run me off occasionally. I try to get out there early so I can get atleast a few hours in before the police show up and tell me that it is not an established range, and it is not legal to shoot there. I say look at all the shells and brass everywhere, seems established to me.
When I shot airguns off my fenced backyard, I shot at soda cans filled with sand and old model toys that I didn't want anymore. As for real guns in which I have to shoot at a public range (I go the indoor one which is safer and more flexible), I have also shot reactive steel targets than just paper.

“Constitutionist/ SAF”

Since: Mar 08

Location hidden

#5 Jul 29, 2010
I've been to the most chaotic supervised ranges and never had any problem except with the pigs. If pigs cohort with range employees then people can harass you and try to get you removed from the range. So a range supervisor can be your worst nightmare too.

Police are not safety experts, they're safety hazards.

I find the ranges with the most supervision and most rules to be the worst ranges, and the ranges with no supervision and least rules to be the best place to enjoy and practice shooting.

I know of a range that is so peaceful I go there simply because the place is so isolated and calm (regardless of the noise I make there).

There are many places to be shot where it's difficult to recognize a gunshot, and shooting ranges are not the only place. And guns are everywhere, not only at shooting ranges.

What makes a shooting range a dangerous place are all the rules (usually the rules are due to complaints from police). Any rule that prohibits carrying a loaded handgun is a 'more' dangerous place to be (that's the range where you're to watch your back.)

Is it not ironic I have to carry pepper spray with me when I'm at a shooting range because State gun laws prohibit me from carrying a loaded handgun (to guard my longguns)?

Yea, the nannies want us to be watched 24/7 by the govt. They want us watched at the beach (America has thousands of miles of coastlines). At shopping malls, in public toilet rooms, and at those deadly shooting ranges. Anywhere and everywhere. The nannies want millions of costly recording security cameras to record evey little crime.
Jagermann

Wenatchee, WA

#6 Jul 29, 2010
Shootings ranges are still safer than swimming pools. Drowning deaths vastly outnumber shooting accidents.

“Constitutionist/ SAF”

Since: Mar 08

Location hidden

#7 Jul 31, 2010
Consider all the cops and cameras on the highways, and then consider all the deaths there.

Govt is always our worst enemy.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lewisberry Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
------a question about height------ (Jan '17) Nov 24 Craig 11
Joe Heath (Dec '06) Oct '17 Mike russo 5
Relocating Sep '17 Oh me 1
Business Fraud! (Jun '17) Jul '17 Code library 4
Josh and Alexis Henry (Sep '16) Sep '16 Cucked 1
News At 75, one woman's crusade to preserve historic... (Jun '14) Jun '14 ALS 1
Charity 5K (Mar '14) Mar '14 Wipe the tears 1

Lewisberry Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance