Newberry Township fire response chang...

Newberry Township fire response changes spark concern; meeting set

There are 11 comments on the The York Daily Record story from Aug 7, 2010, titled Newberry Township fire response changes spark concern; meeting set. In it, The York Daily Record reports that:

A recent decision by the Newberry Township supervisors to make their local fire department the first one dispatched to all calls in the municipality has sparked concern.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The York Daily Record.

My FireTruck

York, PA

#1 Aug 7, 2010
"My fire truck is bigger than your fire truck."
"No, mine is BIGGER and it's RED. Real fire trucks are RED!"
Two year olds or volunteer fire fighters? You decide on the next installment of "why can't we all just get along."
Taxpayer

Camp Hill, PA

#2 Aug 7, 2010
They can't seem to handle what they have got now. Why in the world would they wanna take more on. Leave it the way it is.... It's working fine. Why to to fix something that is not broke?
Whats New

Shrewsbury, PA

#3 Aug 7, 2010
Sounds like the Hpoewell TWP
york county fire fighter

Lewisberry, PA

#4 Aug 8, 2010
Its all about the almighty $.Newberry fire wants all the relief money that is currently split four ways in the township,and all the monetary support from the twp supervisors which in turn will force a merger between newberry and the boro depts.
silly ticks

Gambrills, MD

#5 Aug 8, 2010
.... It doesn't matter whose first in... it's still gonna burn down.
inDover

York, PA

#6 Aug 8, 2010
It's no differant than Dover Twp being the hero's or front page cause their 1st due covering their entire township, yes on structure fires you get a bigger response, but anything else its mostly just them 1st due, one day, maybe people will get smart and do whats right for the people in the community they protect in their time of need! These people don't care what color the fire truck is, they just need help, and it really don't help when a supervisor feels the same way. They are the ones to be questioned and grilled though when something goes wrong. When you lose the publics support and trust, heads will roll. The days of this is my sandbox and you can't play in it should have been over long ago..... do whats RIGHT, NOT what someone wants you to do!!!!!
Enough said.
what next

United States

#7 Aug 8, 2010
They don't have the money, manpower or equipment to handle what they have now. If memory serves me right, they are chartered and incorporated as the Newberrytown Fire Company, not the Newberry Township Fire Department. They changed the name on their own about 15 or 20 years ago with no support or approval from the township. Look at the front of the building, you can see the different letters and where the old ones used to be. Of course the almighty $$$ is the culprit here. The can solicit the entire township for their yearly fund drive kind of like their EMS division did for several years in areas where they were 2nd or 3rd due. What it all comes down to is the public doesn't know or care who responds, as long as someone gets there to assist them in a timely manner. It's kind of like those of us in the Conewago Heights area of the township now waiting 15 minutes or more for an ambulance when the closest one is less than 6 minutes away. Changes like this can cost someone their life or property.
Local volunteer

Duncannon, PA

#8 Aug 10, 2010
york county fire fighter wrote:
Its all about the almighty $.Newberry fire wants all the relief money that is currently split four ways in the township,and all the monetary support from the twp supervisors which in turn will force a merger between newberry and the boro depts.
That's not true. You're obviously not a volunteer of any of the depts this effects, or you wouldn't make a comment like that. It has to do with the fact that Newberry isn't getting dispatched to run calls that are only 2 or 3 miles from their station because they're waiting for another dept that is farther away, and that is due to the way the boxes are set up.
And lets face it, the neighboring depts are having a lot of issues within their depts recently, and the community wants to make sure someone will be there if their house catches on fire, or they have an accident.
denny

United States

#9 Aug 10, 2010
Local volunteer wrote:
<quoted text>
That's not true. You're obviously not a volunteer of any of the depts this effects, or you wouldn't make a comment like that. It has to do with the fact that Newberry isn't getting dispatched to run calls that are only 2 or 3 miles from their station because they're waiting for another dept that is farther away, and that is due to the way the boxes are set up.
And lets face it, the neighboring depts are having a lot of issues within their depts recently, and the community wants to make sure someone will be there if their house catches on fire, or they have an accident.
Newberrytown fd has more than $200,000 in dept more than any other dept that serves nbt.
This is 100% about money and was even stated at township meetings.

No newberrytown fire is not sitting when something is going on 2/3 miles away. All the chiefs approved these boxes a few years ago and are split by responce times.
GOT TO LOVE IT

New Freedom, PA

#10 Aug 10, 2010
Local volunteer wrote:
<quoted text>
OK let's think for a mintue WHO set up these fire boxes? I think it was the chiefs of those depts so who to blame. I must agree it is about money and it always will be. If you really want to fix this then let all depts go paid then you can listen to the up roar our the big tax hike or, Hire an outside person who does not care about twps, bourgh, or city lines and sets up the fire boxes by the closest station.
You need to get with it Local Vol it's always about money. I have the same problem here, I live on the west side of Hopewell twp and my fire dept is Stewartstown which is about 5 miles away but Shrewsbury is only about 1 mile so who looking out for me and my family sure in hell isn't Hopewell twp
denny

Etters, PA

#11 Aug 11, 2010
I was at the meeting last night with a overwhelming response by the public for being snowballed by the board of directors. The rulling was overturned and everything stays the same. It was all about money to the township and having 4 township fire depts would be cheaper than 1 due due the costs being spread out. Paid depts will never happen in newberry fire taxes are about 10 years out.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lewisberry Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
voteTrump May 17 der 7
News Windish or Slovenian? Another side of the story... (Jul '07) May 15 Tara Zrinski 33
Old Lemoyne video May 13 Cindyk 1
News What's the best way to help an elderly dog? (May '09) May 11 Zeke the Pinhead 19
Looking for Erin Guringo!!! (Nov '15) May 4 Keep Looking 2
News Having 'the talk': When it comes to sex educati... (Jun '13) Apr 23 Roxanna747 5
Auto Accidents Mar '16 jamydog 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Lewisberry Mortgages