Melanie Leneghan Incoming Liberty Twp Trustee already controversial

Posted in the Lewis Center Forum

First Prev
of 77
Next Last
notsurprised

Lucasville, OH

#1 Dec 8, 2011
Ms. Leneghan has not even been sworn in yet, as trustee, and she has already broken her mentor Peggy Guzzo's record for stirring the pot and causing controversy.

She apparently feels she has a "mandate" to further her agenda. Well, I guess we are going to find out what exactly that means. She has filed to run for Central Committee against Mary Carducci, and is sponsoring a fundraiser for the Tea Party candidate running against Pat Tiberi.

Not even in office yet, and already making the Republican establishment mad. Good thinking Melanie. Obviously she needs to work on her people skills.

I wonder how much the mistake of electing her is going to cost the residents of Liberty Twp? We are not off to an encouraging start.
go melanie

Columbus, OH

#2 Dec 8, 2011
notsurprised wrote:
Ms. Leneghan has not even been sworn in yet, as trustee, and she has already broken her mentor Peggy Guzzo's record for stirring the pot and causing controversy.
She apparently feels she has a "mandate" to further her agenda. Well, I guess we are going to find out what exactly that means. She has filed to run for Central Committee against Mary Carducci, and is sponsoring a fundraiser for the Tea Party candidate running against Pat Tiberi.
Not even in office yet, and already making the Republican establishment mad. Good thinking Melanie. Obviously she needs to work on her people skills.
I wonder how much the mistake of electing her is going to cost the residents of Liberty Twp? We are not off to an encouraging start.
clean up the corruption. You go girl
notsurprised

Lucasville, OH

#3 Dec 9, 2011
Corruption?

Do you have any specifics? Corruption is a serious charge. Against whom? For what?
Melanie Supporter

Powell, OH

#4 Dec 10, 2011
She got my vote to STOP business as usual in Libery Township. Stop worrying about developers and start worrying about homeowners in the Township. Now that would be a nice change of pace!
Leneghan Supporter

Powell, OH

#5 Mar 29, 2012
I saw the write up in This Week - Olentangy. Melanie came out in support of keeping the Fire department levy at 6 mills rather than increasing it to 6.75 mills. I support Melanie in this. A business can find ways to do more with less in these tough economic times. Can someone offer a convincing argument as to why a govenment entity cannot do the the same thing?
notsurprised

Delaware, OH

#6 Mar 29, 2012
In principle, many of us are having to do the same or more with less. Government should not be ummune to this.

The Liberty Fire Dept. has not had a fire levy increase in 10 years. Ms. Leneghan's idea to continue to hold down costs is to cut overnight EMS.
No EMS at night? So, anyone planning on having a heart attack or getting sick, please do so during normal business hours.

Oh, and see was mulling over the possibility of closing one fire station.

Anybody see a problem with this?
Come On Sybert

Beacon, NY

#7 Mar 29, 2012
We can do more with less. Have you looked at combining , sharing or beefing up reciprocity with with the Concord, Orange, Dublin , Delaware City adjoining Fire Departments? When are the Trustees gong to take a stand on the very liberal medical/ retirement benefits and bring them in line with the Public Sector who pay the majority of the fire levy taxes?? Maybe theere would be more time available to get things done if the Firefighters and EMT's were not doing daily grocery shopping at Krogers.
sybert RHINO

Columbus, OH

#8 Mar 30, 2012
Come On Sybert wrote:
We can do more with less. Have you looked at combining , sharing or beefing up reciprocity with with the Concord, Orange, Dublin , Delaware City adjoining Fire Departments? When are the Trustees gong to take a stand on the very liberal medical/ retirement benefits and bring them in line with the Public Sector who pay the majority of the fire levy taxes?? Maybe theere would be more time available to get things done if the Firefighters and EMT's were not doing daily grocery shopping at Krogers.
sybert is a RHINO. As a ambulance chasing attorney, Sybert has no concept of saving money or doing more with less. Sybert is all about spending money on attorneys and government services.
Fire

Tempe, AZ

#9 Mar 30, 2012
Seems like we have a new Fire Chief who wants to build his kingdom. More EMT and firemen equals more salary for the Chief. BTW what is so magical about a 3 year levy.? Shorter terms would allow more voter flexibility and management of salary and benefits.And why do the Trustees always negotiate benefits and salaries during the three year term? Seems to me they give away the store and then come to the voters for a levy. The proposed negotiated wages and benefits should be part of a levy . That way the voters can decide to accept or deny.
Party of NO Family Values

Powell, OH

#10 Mar 30, 2012
Go Mel
TwoLawyers

Beacon, NY

#11 Mar 31, 2012
two Liberty Towhsip are good talkers but little business acumen. Liberty Township needs Trustees who are not afraid to confront the public unions and say no. Liberty Township doesn't have to pay as much or have the same benefits as other local fire departments. There is no shortage of EMTs and firefighters . Many others would love to work for Liberty Township at a reduced salary and benefits.Township Trustees have typically negotiated like the school boards and succumbed to the unions because it is the easy way out and they are comfortable letting someone else can deal with the problem of out of control wages and benefits.
Well informed

Somerset, KY

#12 Apr 2, 2012
Two lawyers, ever hear of you get what you pay for??? Liberty Twp was the EMS agency of the year for the State of Ohio in 2011. So go ahead and bring in your "reduced salary" PARAMEDICS(EMT's are not the same service as you are receiving now) and see what kind of results you get. Out of control wages......hmmmmm the average income for the city of powell and liberty twp is about $123,000/yr per household......how many of those households are a one income family? Probably more than you imagine. Tell me how someone who is there to protect all the lives and property in the twp. has out of control wages at $67,000/yr -just over half what the avg is for the area. And as far as the other local fire departments go....who do you think will stick around when they see they can get better pay for the same job down the road? Thats right.....the ones who cant get jobs anywhere else....do you really want that protecting you?
cost containment

Englewood, OH

#13 Apr 2, 2012
Well informed wrote:
Two lawyers, ever hear of you get what you pay for??? Liberty Twp was the EMS agency of the year for the State of Ohio in 2011. So go ahead and bring in your "reduced salary" PARAMEDICS(EMT's are not the same service as you are receiving now) and see what kind of results you get. Out of control wages......hmmmmm the average income for the city of powell and liberty twp is about $123,000/yr per household......how many of those households are a one income family? Probably more than you imagine. Tell me how someone who is there to protect all the lives and property in the twp. has out of control wages at $67,000/yr -just over half what the avg is for the area. And as far as the other local fire departments go....who do you think will stick around when they see they can get better pay for the same job down the road? Thats right.....the ones who cant get jobs anywhere else....do you really want that protecting you?
ever heard about cost containment? Awards are meaningless. There are many qualified educated in the unemployment who would gladly take those low paying jobs.
Well Now

Miami, FL

#14 Apr 3, 2012
Let's see less than 40 hours per week work schedule , retire after 20 years with full medical, then double dip, 20 or so hours per month grocery shopping at Krogers on the taxpayers dime, suburban upper middle class fire department without all the riff raff of a metropolitan area. It sounds pretty inviting even at a lower wage. Who cares about the awards, likely spent a lot of taxpayers time submitting paperwork etc to get the award and then attending the awards banquet on the taxpayers dime. Firefighters appear do nothing on their on their own time. e.g. even collecting toys at Christmas we the taxpayers have to pay them.Strange they seem to forget their volunteer heritage. It seems that after 911 every fire department in America seems to think they should be put on a pedestal.
Heros Family Member

Marysville, OH

#15 Apr 4, 2012
According to the local paper, Liberty Township trustees will be hosting a public meeting to discuss the fire levy on April 16th at their township house. If you feel so strongly about this levy then I suggest you show up and ask questions instead of listening to the media and a single trustee. Unless you live or own a business in Liberty Township , you really don't have a say because you are not funding the fire department for the 11th wealthiest community in Ohio, the second in central Ohio, so butt out CA and MO!
http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2011...
If you do show up, you may have your eyes opened! Have you ever walked a day in the life of a firefighter? They work almost 3000 hours a year when a person working 40 hours a week only work just over 2000. I do recall that they just signed a new contract where they only received an average of around 1% pay increase over the next four years while agreeing to put SB5 in their contract by paying 20% of their health care premiums and paying for all their pension. Sounds like both the union and the board of trustees got SB5 done when the state couldn't. Know your facts people before you go and crucify the fire department and the firefighters. Don't forget, they are taxpayers too.
To Well Now...in Ohio, they work 56 hours a week, they are not eligible to retire after 20 years and they certainly do not receive full medical. Sounds like that is something you should take up with your state legislation. Next time before you go a make a statement like that, you should know your facts!
Paid To Sleep

Tempe, AZ

#16 Apr 5, 2012
Three thousand hours is a distortion of the facts. Getting paid to sleep, work out , shop for groceries. doing charitable events, etc in a low hazard suburban community is a pretty nice gig.
youre clueless

Damascus, MD

#17 Apr 5, 2012
Distortion of the facts? Come on. If its such a good gig are you signing up to take classes so you can work there? If not drop it!still hung up on the grocery thing i see.....why? Get another hobby. Distortion of the facts ......they work almost 3000 hrs a year.....including time away from families for holidays and not sleeping at night when there are emergency calls. Im sure you are one of those "its not gonna happen to us" people. Apparently youve never needed the service then. If tou can see in to the future and state that they are not needed at night then i believe the defense dept might want to talk to you about your future seeing ability....and on a personal note what are next weeks lottery numbers?
Cushman

Beacon, NY

#18 Apr 5, 2012
All in all it is a pretty cushy job. No more at risk to one's life than a clerk at a gas station in Dublin, Ohio.. More gasoline station clerks have lost their lives in Dublin than firefighters or EMS in Liberty Township. in fact name one loss of a firefighter or EMS in liberty Township.Most retire early, with large pensions in comparison with the private sector and extraordinary medical benefits in retirement.The union environment creates over-staffing and narrow options for Township management. Time to bring salaries and benefits in line with the public sector. Township trustees should hold their ground the next times wages and benefits come up for negotiation.This is the only way we can keep our property taxes down. Alternatively Liberty Township should look at other means to finance Fire Department salaries and the workforce. e.g. start charging for EMS, etc. runs like Columbus.Bottom line keep the 6 mil levy with no increase. A higher levy gives them more money which they will spend because they have it without much accountability for nice to have but not necessary personnel additions. When the population increases due to new building there will be more property tax revenue for additional spending. Otherwise the additional millage will likely be given away in upcoming salary negotiations because the union will contend with the additional millage there is money available.
youre clueless

United States

#19 Apr 5, 2012
When population increases your individual taxes go down.....the sollar amount coming in stays the same. Please do your homework. Also the taxes for fire protection have gone down already while services have doubled. They wont charge for ems because delaware county has an ems tax already. .5% sales tax....perhaps you should encourage the county to fork over more $$ for the ems that the fire dept is providing to provide other revenue.....
youre clueless

Gamaliel, AR

#20 Apr 5, 2012
Also....please tell me what you feel is "retiring early" with "large pensions".......they can not get social security like you and i .....years ago when everyones 401ks were doing awesome everyone said being in the public sector was crazy because there was way better retirement in the private sector now that everything tanked everbody wants to go after the public sector....they need to "feel the pain" too.....sounds pretty liberal to me that everyone needs to do something the same.....and are you kidding me with the gas station clerk thing? Wow......again with the "its never happened so it never will" i hope for the firefighters sake that it bever will but wow! As far as the "extraordinary medical benefits " where are you getting this bad info? Perhaps the insurance is good because of all the crap theyve been exposed to during their careers.....and they have to pay for it ....its not free ....im sure they would gladly have salaries takrn in line with the private sector .......medics can paralyze and intubate when needed....lets see.....a doctor a nurse anesthetis,and a physicians assitant are the only others who can do that when needed.......do you even need me to show you the numbers as far as salary comparison there?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 77
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lewis Center Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Is Barack Obama Doing a Good Job as President? (Aug '13) 1 hr Pale Rider 4,839
Eric Garner died over cigarette tax enforcement. 2 hr TonyD2 81
Rod Parsley says ministry threatened by lack of... (Dec '09) 2 hr Chris 760
COPS lives MATTER 3 hr They cannot kill ... 48
Should Suspected Pedophiles be Tortured? 3 hr yeah they are 14
Hand outs 3 hr White cop 10
I found Mr Tea 4 hr White cop 8
Lewis Center Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web