Speech classes may be cut from high s...

Speech classes may be cut from high school lineup

There are 2 comments on the Themonitor.com story from Jul 7, 2006, titled Speech classes may be cut from high school lineup. In it, Themonitor.com reports that:

A push by the State Board of Education to have Texas high school students take more mathematics and science courses could push some current classes out of the way.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Themonitor.com.

Walter LeCroy

AOL

#1 Jul 21, 2006
Communications is the last course that shuld be cut. Nowadays our youth seems to speak an entirely different language than a few decades ago. They now try to speak without opening their mouth; just mumble. Enunciation has just about become obsolete. How many times do you call up a business, then have to ask whether it is the one you called because the person answering the phone seems programmed to just blurt out a litany he or she has memorized and is totally untelligible? Speech is required in most college degrees, but many will never get that far and never have any speech training if they don't get it in high school. Alas, not everyone can get the job of President, so they'd better to learn to speak clearly and with some logic.
Shalena Candler

Marysville, CA

#2 Sep 5, 2006
I couldn't agree more. Effective communication, in my opinion is the key to success in every aspect of life. Over the past couple of decades, America has gotten further and further away from proper pronunciation and grammar in both verbal and written communication. I understand that our students have a lot of mandatory classes that they must pass before graduating, however one or two less electives could mean the difference between improved social skills, stronger communication skills, and heightened self esteem. If people fear public speaking more than death, I would say that we have a problem, thankfully with an easy solution.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Levelland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Who's dtf I'm a transsexual (girl with guy piece) Feb 13 Jogirl98 1
Drake Routier - Darlie Routier's son (Sep '09) Feb 11 Golden 529
An Idea: Tiny house for homeless Jan '18 yonder22 2
Are your neighbors dogs barking all the time? Jan '18 Stormy 1
bisexual men in lubbock? (Jan '15) Jan '18 testify 12
News Woman arrested, accused of stabbing man in Nort... Jan '18 Natw 1
Review: I Love Kickboxing (Feb '16) Jan '18 Malloryflo 19

Levelland Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance