Much to be thankful for in North Central Mass.

There are 3 comments on the Sentinel & Enterprise story from Nov 24, 2007, titled Much to be thankful for in North Central Mass.. In it, Sentinel & Enterprise reports that:

It's sometimes hard to be optimistic as we head into the winter months with gasoline prices soaring and the economy struggling, but there is much to be thankful for in North Central Massachusetts as we sit down ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Sentinel & Enterprise.

Hawk

Long Island City, NY

#1 Dec 3, 2007
Offers shopping and Eating establishments?

"It's important to remember that a number of stores have opened in Leominster during the past five years, including Macy's, Target, Kohl's and Best Buy.

And there's a new Wal-Mart being built in Leominster.

In addition, a number of new restaurants have opened in the last several years to compliment an already strong group of local establishments."

Pleanty of opportunity to SPEND. As for Housing in Leominster, read the latest article and stop the attempts to make us feel good. Around here, you're either successful or you're not!

Since: Nov 07

Cambridge, MA

#2 Dec 4, 2007
I might be thankful if I were moving out of the area. Unfortunately I'm stuck here for the foreseeable future. Does the author of this article actually think that creating more retail outlets in a city improves the economy? Do they realize that the retail outlets do not produce anything only more debt and perhaps a little extra in tax money for our local governments to squander. Though I will admit Leominster seems to be in slightly better shape than some other communities.

Frankly I would be dismayed by the exponential increase in violent crime and drug crimes in the area as well as the loss of jobs to overseas fascist, slave labor states (which our officials seem to favor). Housing prices continue to slide downward as they should and real income after inflation is down down down.

Just to add to the fun we have hidden public health epidemics that are being deliberately ignored and covered up, such as Lyme disease. There may be a lot to be thankful for, such God, family and friends, but little of it sources from living in N. Central MA sorry to say. I suppose I could be thankful I don't live in Detroit.
Red Baron

Damariscotta, ME

#3 Dec 4, 2007
First one has to wonder what planet Mr. McMenemy lives on.

First, he's an editor of a paper based in a city (Fitchburg), that has a City Budget that is clean out kilter due to a conservative Mayor spending more on Police budget, and allowing the streets to be a potholed mess, and even more crime ridden than it was before Mylott became mayor.

Secondly, he speaks of Kohls, Macy's, and other highend stores. Problem is this. The average person from Fitchburg/Leominster that rents an apartment in either city, is not making enough money to afford spending in such a store. Either they are stealing from them, or they are making peanuts working for them for the Holidays, only to be on unemployment by January 1.

Those stealing from those stores, are doing so to sell the ill-gotten booty to be sold for drugs.

Mr. McMenemy also says people are moving in droves to the North Central Mass area. Funny thing is that actually people are moving away in droves from Massachusetts, with North Central Mass being the leader in mass exodus. Mr. McMenemy, the parsely with your meal is to be eaten...not smoked (and your editorial...you must be smokin' it!!)

Also, Fitchburg is laden with homeless people, who as fortunate people like Mr. McMenemy look upon and say..."gee whiz...look at those poor people...let em' eat cake."

Downtown Fitchburg attracting developers? I read this paper's website daily...haven't heard of such a thing. Whacked your head lately Mr. McMenemy??

New Restaurants? I was in the area a week ago...didn't see any new place to eat. Same ol' "Gag N'Puke" restaurants.

Bottom line: To write such a stupid editorial at a time of year, when people are trying to decide whether to eat or stay warm this winter, is really stupid. If this paper cannot figure this out, than Mr. McMenemy either an editor of a newspaper or a Minister of Propaganda for the Bush administration.

Keep dreaming Mr. McMenemy...keep dreamin!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Leominster Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Truce is respected 41 min cocerned citizen 8
Poll Where is Kevin Lynch? (Nov '14) 5 hr Kelly 72
News Lapidus will make $235G as FSU head 8 hr Jtn 4
Lynch Fest 2015 May 23 Civil Servant Sup... 15
Review: Fitchburg Tattoo Co (Apr '10) May 22 insider 29
News Leominster man arrested in Fitchburg murder May 22 insider 1
News Couple charged in alleged tussle with Leominste... May 22 insider 1
More from around the web

Leominster People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE