Leominster developer bides time for liquor license - Sentinel & Enterprise

With plans for a new restaurant and pub in mind, developer James Xarras wants to clinch one of three home-rule liquor licenses the City Council authorized last month. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Big Fan

Leominster, MA

#1 Oct 29, 2010
He will make a mess out of that like everything else he does.
joanne

Las Vegas, NV

#2 Oct 29, 2010
Xarras and the Mayor, lunch, booze, where are the girls?????????? OF COURSE IT WILL GO THROUGH, look at the NAME!!!!!!!!!!
Jim

Fitchburg, MA

#3 Oct 29, 2010
Just what the area needs, another bar(oh excuse me, eating place).

More fights, more assaults, more drunken drivers, but hey, he will make alot of money
Unreal

Jersey City, NJ

#4 Oct 29, 2010
I defy any city councilor to walk into the Laurel green Condos on Abbey Rd, and see the condition that James Xarras leaves them in... there are pages taped to the front doors from the health Dept, basically condemning the units with 3 pages of health code violations, Including Black/Green Mold, wires that are visible and live...the entire building smells of mold...trash all over the grounds..Plus he runs the scam that HIS 'workers" are the condo association.. it is a complete shame what he has done to the condo owners there. you will be crazy if you don't think his kitchen will look the same...
Geez

Leominster, MA

#5 Oct 29, 2010
Why not reward a guy who snubs his nose at laws, codes and anything else others have to abide by in this city. Isn't this the same guy who cut down hundreds if not thousands of trees on the south side? He is as dirty as they come, as well as his staff, and there are many more worthy people to give a liquor license to!
Unreal

Jersey City, NJ

#6 Oct 29, 2010
never mind having his guys illegally bury asbestos behind the mall
Wonder

Framingham, MA

#7 Oct 29, 2010
What ever happened with his cutting down all the trees up in Legate Hill area? There was this big hoopla from the DEP agency but then is just died down.

There are plenty of places within walking distance along that area to go eat. I know I don't go out for lunch every day, I bring my own to work. Who can afford that?
create jobs

Leominster, MA

#8 Oct 29, 2010
Union Products complex on Lancaster Street has been a success, perfect example of small business’s hiring people and producing jobs. one should wonder if this is more about who would not want another establishment in that area, does someone on the city council have relatives near by?
Remember this is Leominster land of who you know, not if you are really the one who should get the license
Fizbo

Leominster, MA

#9 Oct 29, 2010
IMHO it's a "done deal", and he will get the license pronto. Far as other eating places, the gondola is nearby as are a few places in the strip mall across from the complex.

Funny how Rosa is involved, and Flanagan isn't.

"it's all about being connected"...

Surprised Mr. Whitney hasn't applied for a license...
Fizbo

Leominster, MA

#10 Oct 29, 2010
Interesting to see Xarras's wife in the paper the other day, for NON PAYMENT OF TAXEs to the City
of Leominster...
Fizbo

Leominster, MA

#11 Oct 29, 2010
Unreal wrote:
I defy any city councilor to walk into the Laurel green Condos on Abbey Rd, and see the condition that James Xarras leaves them in... there are pages taped to the front doors from the health Dept, basically condemning the units with 3 pages of health code violations, Including Black/Green Mold, wires that are visible and live...the entire building smells of mold...trash all over the grounds..Plus he runs the scam that HIS 'workers" are the condo association.. it is a complete shame what he has done to the condo owners there. you will be crazy if you don't think his kitchen will look the same...
Surprised the Wiring Inspector or Building Inspector haven't done anything. Oops, I'm
dreaming again...
Ruth

Leominster, MA

#12 Oct 29, 2010
this guy is a jerk, look what happen when he got kick out of pop warner, he started he's own league.
but the mayor loves him so HE WILL GET IT.
Me again

Leominster, MA

#13 Oct 29, 2010
Ruth wrote:
this guy is a jerk, look what happen when he got kick out of pop warner, he started he's own league, but the mayor loves him so HE WILL GET IT.
He got kicked out of the league? Never heard that one before.
Me again

Leominster, MA

#14 Oct 29, 2010
Unreal wrote:
I used to live there - from 2002-2004. Everything you just said is on point! I had a broken stove, 2 out of my 4 burner tops didn't heat, yea cooking, better yet, trying to cook was always fun. Three of my electrical outlets (one in my living room and 2 in my bedroom) were loose, missing the plate cover and painted over so I was afraid to use those. Keep in mind, the ones who paint inside the units are the ones who work with him building those beautiful homes atop of Legate Hill. I can just imagine the paint job in them. If I could have afforded to move from there believe me, I would have. I had mold in my kitchen and bathroom. And YES, I did call the office to address these issues but nothing ever came of it. Finally, I just made do with what I had untill I could move. I often wondered if Litchfield Terrace was in better condition then Laurel Green was. Winters there were a real b-itch! We were lucky if the parking lots were plowed by the time we got home from work at 6pm after a real good snow storm. A typical morning-after snow storm generally resulted in shoveling out your own car just enough to be able to drive out and then when you got home, shovel what was still under the car when you left that the sun didn't melt...of course, buy that time of night it was like a chisel to an ice block. Better hang on to the shaky railing going up or down the outside steps or you're going for a digger one way or the other. I haven't been back over there since I moved out so I can't attest to the board of health posting anything recently or since 2004 when I moved. They only did that once in the time I lived there. It was because of furniture, a few broken water heaters and the excess trash that hadn't been picked up. The dumpsters were over flowing with the bags and the only thing you could do was set your bags up against the dumpster, on top of everyone elses untill the truck came to empty them. The animals tore open the bags and the trash was all over the place, and we won't talk about the stench. The units (the ones he owned anyway) got remodled around the time that I moved out so I'm sure they're in better condition now then they were when I lived there. I know I wouldn't move back, that's for sure.
Stanley R

Leominster, MA

#15 Oct 30, 2010
Any time people achieve great success there will be those people who must make themselves feel better by tearing down that person. Jealousy is an awful thing. Jim Xarras has taken a worthless old plastic complex and created a community where small business owners could prosper and operate without paying $20 sq. foot for their space. A massive eye sore is now used may citizens for weight lifting, youth wrestling, baseball-softball, Ultimate Fighting, and a nationally recognized cheering program. Take a walk by someday, and you'll get to hear some band practicing or get to smell some fresh baked bread coming from the Union Bread ovens. And yep, he started a football league, played nationally, and promptly brought a group of local players to the National Title Game down in Florida. Not with money, or Status, but with proper training and hard work. Now, in this risky economy, he wants to open a nice 'pub' to create more jobs and produce more for the area and you people complain? A place that he wants closed by 11pm? Doesn't sound like he's looking to have an establishment that's anything less than classy. You want to "rip & complain" well save it. You all had your chance to make something of your life.
Ruth

Leominster, MA

#16 Oct 30, 2010
At Stanley. you must be one of the losers he hires to tell him how great he is.
kiss his butt away...thats what you get paid for.
tell me whats going to happen to that league ones his sons start high school. do you think he's going to keep financing it??
Lowell

Leominster, MA

#17 Oct 30, 2010
Stanley R wrote:
Any time people achieve great success there will be those people who must make themselves feel better by tearing down that person. Jealousy is an awful thing. Jim Xarras has taken a worthless old plastic complex and created a community where small business owners could prosper and operate without paying $20 sq. foot for their space. A massive eye sore is now used may citizens for weight lifting, youth wrestling, baseball-softball, Ultimate Fighting, and a nationally recognized cheering program. Take a walk by someday, and you'll get to hear some band practicing or get to smell some fresh baked bread coming from the Union Bread ovens. And yep, he started a football league, played nationally, and promptly brought a group of local players to the National Title Game down in Florida. Not with money, or Status, but with proper training and hard work. Now, in this risky economy, he wants to open a nice 'pub' to create more jobs and produce more for the area and you people complain? A place that he wants closed by 11pm? Doesn't sound like he's looking to have an establishment that's anything less than classy. You want to "rip & complain" well save it. You all had your chance to make something of your life.
I agree with this comment even though it is probably written by Xarras himself. What's wrong with another business in town? So what if it's coming from someone with money? Who cares? Is the hurting anyone? If your place at Laurel Green is unsuitable... then move. If you don't think that a new pub owned by him will be clean... then don't go.If a home built by him is built poorly, then don't buy it, buy one from Jim Whitney or Peter Bovenzi... who cares? Stop complaining and get a life.
Big Fan

Leominster, MA

#18 Oct 30, 2010
Ruth wrote:
this guy is a jerk, look what happen when he got kick out of pop warner, he started he's own league.
but the mayor loves him so HE WILL GET IT.
I hate to break the news but the Mayor and Xarras are not buddies.
Big Fan

Leominster, MA

#19 Oct 30, 2010
Wonder wrote:
What ever happened with his cutting down all the trees up in Legate Hill area? There was this big hoopla from the DEP agency but then is just died down.
There are plenty of places within walking distance along that area to go eat. I know I don't go out for lunch every day, I bring my own to work. Who can afford that?
Someone should call DEP to find out what is going on.I'm sure the are still getting on the info together because you know Xarras is going to sue them as soon as it is all done.We can just add it to the list of all the people he sues.He must spend alot of time in court.How does he get amy work done?That's right he doesn't have to work he stole all his father's money.
Unreal

United States

#20 Oct 30, 2010
Me again wrote:
<quoted text>
I used to live there - from 2002-2004. Everything you just said is on point! I had a broken stove, 2 out of my 4 burner tops didn't heat, yea cooking, better yet, trying to cook was always fun. Three of my electrical outlets (one in my living room and 2 in my bedroom) were loose, missing the plate cover and painted over so I was afraid to use those. Keep in mind, the ones who paint inside the units are the ones who work with him building those beautiful homes atop of Legate Hill. I can just imagine the paint job in them. If I could have afforded to move from there believe me, I would have. I had mold in my kitchen and bathroom. And YES, I did call the office to address these issues but nothing ever came of it. Finally, I just made do with what I had untill I could move. I often wondered if Litchfield Terrace was in better condition then Laurel Green was. Winters there were a real b-itch! We were lucky if the parking lots were plowed by the time we got home from work at 6pm after a real good snow storm. A typical morning-after snow storm generally resulted in shoveling out your own car just enough to be able to drive out and then when you got home, shovel what was still under the car when you left that the sun didn't melt...of course, buy that time of night it was like a chisel to an ice block. Better hang on to the shaky railing going up or down the outside steps or you're going for a digger one way or the other. I haven't been back over there since I moved out so I can't attest to the board of health posting anything recently or since 2004 when I moved. They only did that once in the time I lived there. It was because of furniture, a few broken water heaters and the excess trash that hadn't been picked up. The dumpsters were over flowing with the bags and the only thing you could do was set your bags up against the dumpster, on top of everyone elses untill the truck came to empty them. The animals tore open the bags and the trash was all over the place, and we won't talk about the stench. The units (the ones he owned anyway) got remodled around the time that I moved out so I'm sure they're in better condition now then they were when I lived there. I know I wouldn't move back, that's for sure.
It was even worse after they were renovated, after the people started buying them, he REALLY cared less on mainteance, just pocketing the condo fees from the homeowners, the "condo association" NEVER would show the homeowners the funds available or had a say in anything obviously...One of the buildings had such a mold issue from a broken pipe right in the hallway, all they did was just cut open the walls, they literally took the front doors off each side of the building in the middle of winter for 3 months to air it out, SHAME SHAME SHAME... opening a pub to hide money... why do you think all those units are in his wife's name... tax evasion all day long

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Leominster Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
lynch for mayor 2014 (Apr '12) 10 hr Hey Fatso 313
Positive steps in Fitchburg (Sep '12) 11 hr Big Fat Goof 35
Happy Thanksgiving to all 16 hr BillyBob 7
Lets pave downtown today! Thu Citizen X 13
8 charged after shots fired in Fitchburg Thu Tammy 3
Snow Wed The Insider 3
Massachusetts town drops plan for ban on tobacc... Nov 26 Jtn 6

Leominster News Video

Leominster Dating
Find my Match